1. Post #1
    Half Life 2: Call of Duty meets Minecraft

February 2012
    14,320 Posts

http://www.shacknews.com/article/74268/simcity-preview-1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Winner x 7Dumb x 2Late x 2Funny x 1Useful x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    15,040 Posts
    Looks interesting, might pick it up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,492 Posts
    Amazing, definitely picking this up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Probably going to pick this up.

Looks fun.

5. Post #5
    :-)
    December 2007
    4,211 Posts
    Looks great, but I'm only going to pick it up if they remove the DRM and make it not Origin-Exclusive (they never will)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    304 Posts
    From what I've been hearing, it re-uses many features that were prevalent in SimCity Societies. I'm starting to get a bit worried, but I think I can trust Maxis to pull it off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,818 Posts
    Definitely looks interesting, but if it's an origin exclusive then I'm not gonna get this I think..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    November 2009
    3,660 Posts
    Looks too simplified imo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    7,157 Posts
    Gonna get this, wish it wasn't so far away

10. Post #10
    You had me at meat tornado.
    June 2008
    5,653 Posts
    Won't pick it up because of Origin.

Will play the older Sim Cities again though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #11
    January 2012
    689 Posts
    Looks too simplified imo
    How so?

Edited:

From what I've been hearing, it re-uses many features that were prevalent in SimCity Societies. I'm starting to get a bit worried, but I think I can trust Maxis to pull it off.
    Like what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    15,040 Posts
    Won't pick it up because of Origin.

Will play the older Sim Cities again though.
    Glad to see people are still acting like children over this Origin thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 31Dumb Dumb x 8Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    4,004 Posts
    "People don't like Origin, therefore children."

If he doesn't like Origin, he doesn't have to use it just because you say so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    15,040 Posts
    "People don't like Origin, therefore children."
    It's the fact that people flat out refuse to use Origin to play a game no matter how good it may be, and the only way they would be able to play it is if it were on Steam. Children might not have been the best word, but arrogant is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,626 Posts
    Sorry, but I don't like being forced to use a client to play my games. That goes for all of them, including steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    March 2011
    3,677 Posts
    Factories... can also be switched to serve different functions in order to to suit the city’s needs.
    Each player donated workers to the project, which would in turn benefit all of them by bringing in new tourists.
    This seems to be becoming more and more like Tropico. :(

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,818 Posts
    It's the fact that people flat out refuse to use Origin to play a game no matter how good it may be, and the only way they would be able to play it is if it were on Steam. Children might not have been the best word, but arrogant is.
    No.
    I wish my games were neither on steam nor origin and that I could play my games wherever the fuck I want without having to be bound to an external service.

The main reason for me to purchase any games these days is for some entertainment while I'm traveling to school by train (which takes 2 hours of my time each day).
    But since all these games are forced to be 'always online' or 'online at launch' or linked to some other third party where I can't play offline or without DRM shit (especially origin for this matter), I just refuse to purchase games that aren't 100% accessible at all times since they would be useless for me anyways.

The worst thing about games that are bound to external services these days is that if the publisher phases out these games, we simply can't play them anymore. They shut down their login servers and don't release any dedicated servers whatsoever and everyone who plays the game is simply fucked and forced to buy new shit. I don't want someone else to be able to take away access to content I paid for, no matter how much people 'trust' a company; businesses at their core only care about money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    I don't like the fact that it's on Origin, because it'll never be on sale.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 20Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    We Are No Idiots
    March 2010
    4,860 Posts
    Remind me a bit of Cities XL, but it looks a lot better with more features.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2010
    2,809 Posts
    I wan't to see this gameplay video.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,543 Posts
    Sorry, but I don't like being forced to use a client to play my games. That goes for all of them, including steam.
    That's fair.

But those who do use Steam but won't use Origin are pretty hypocritical.
    Origin isn't as bad as people say, in fact I've had less problems with it than I have Steam.

The major thing Origin is missing compared to Steam is the sales and the amount of games.
    Though that's no reason to not buy a great looking game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

22. Post #22

January 2012
    154 Posts
    That's fair.

But those who do use Steam but won't use Origin are pretty hypocritical.
    Origin isn't as bad as people say, in fact I've had less problems with it than I have Steam.

The major thing Origin is missing compared to Steam is the sales and the amount of games.
    Though that's no reason to not buy a great looking game.
    I like all my games in a nice easy library like Steam has. I don't want to make more accounts on another download service. Last time I used EA for games it was when they had the download manager, and that was terribly bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,331 Posts
    Only thing Origin has over Steam for me is that Origin actually uses my Max-ish download speed of 5MB/s. Steam normally only downloads at 3.5-4 MB/s for me.

24. Post #24
    As seen on TV
    May 2011
    2,024 Posts
    Guys we gotta grow up over this steam-origen thing,we must repect there both buisnesses at the end of the day
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Guys we gotta grow up over this steam-origen thing,we must repect there both buisnesses at the end of the day
    Yes, but one of the companies is actually respectable, the other can go and die in a fire for all I care.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    But sales
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    August 2011
    505 Posts
    I'm worried about the scale of the simulation and the size of cities. Sim CIty 4 had the BIGGEST cities, managing one of those was epic. Really wish it had something like region play in SC4 where you could build more parts of your city on adjacent lots.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    7,157 Posts
    I like all my games in a nice easy library like Steam has. I don't want to make more accounts on another download service. Last time I used EA for games it was when they had the download manager, and that was terribly bad.
    Make shortcuts to games, put them in a folder on your desktop. Wow, now you have a 'nice easy library'

In all honesty I think the people who complain most about things not being on Steam like to hoard things in one place. Hoarding isn't healthy, purge that shit

29. Post #29
    I'm worried about the scale of the simulation and the size of cities. Sim CIty 4 had the BIGGEST cities, managing one of those was epic. Really wish it had something like region play in SC4 where you could build more parts of your city on adjacent lots.
    I agree, it got hard to manage everything but it was so much fun and I hope sc5 doesn't break all of that in one fell swoop.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,480 Posts
    I suppose they have some cheats in the game. They better have cheats ingame.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    1,128 Posts
    But has no one noticed that Crysis 2 maximum edition (originally on origin) came to steam after a hissy fit with the fuck ups of ea? See now that they may make a deal to put sim city on steam.

32. Post #32
    June 2010
    4,559 Posts
    but i already own sim city. i have it on a cd, AND on my super nintendo!

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,838 Posts
    I'm really hating the trend going on right now of making awesome sequels to games we've all been waiting for, only to totally ruin and/or mar them with awful business practices overriding actual good gameplay.

I.E. Diablo 3 being very auction-house focused, hurting the loot gameplay compared to previous titles and forcing always-on DRM because of it

And with this game, you are forced to always be online, you can't ever make more than one city (what you start with is permanent) because the auto-connects you to other cities made by other players for some kind of meta-gaming thing (afaik you don't play or view their cities, you can just get benefits and stuff from them, like sending them aid or something). Plus it will inevitibly be riddled with DLC/microtransaction related stuff, and as such its going to play out more like a high-budget farmville (which does the same type of "your very own farm" type thing, and connects you socially with other people's farms), versus the true SimCity sequel we all want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    8,975 Posts
    I hope it's nothing like SC4.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    March 2011
    3,677 Posts
    I suppose they have some cheats in the game. They better have cheats ingame.
    Wait why?
    SimCity is all about how you play. Why would anyone seek cheats before actually playing and figuring things out? It's not like you can win or reach the end or anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,182 Posts
    And with this game, you are forced to always be online,
    Wrong, its only a login at startup like Tropico 4 http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/sim-city-5/1221798p1.html

you can't ever make more than one city (what you start with is permanent) because the auto-connects you to other cities made by other players for some kind of meta-gaming thing (afaik you don't play or view their cities, you can just get benefits and stuff from them, like sending them aid or something).
    In Multiplayer you can join a friend's game or just into quckplay but in single player you have unlimited cities and you can make unlimited public or private regions. Maxis Dev talks about this at 7:00

Plus it will inevitibly be riddled with DLC/microtransaction related stuff, and as such its going to play out more like a high-budget farmville
    You have nothing to support this other then your own bias. Also they already made a Facebook Sim City game they don't need another.

I really hate how much bad and untrue information has spread out about the game, EA should be doing a better job doing culling this kind of info.

37. Post #37
    fuck you inspecter I do what I want
    August 2009
    9,175 Posts
    I hope it's nothing like SC4.
    I hope it kind of is, modding-wise of course.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    24,623 Posts
    time to level some metropolises

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    May 2012
    338 Posts
    Eww, gross, placement of individual skyscrapers @ 1:12. Srsly, not cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    retarded faggot
    January 2008
    1,409 Posts
    As long as I can build a big ass beautiful city then level it with nuclear reactors and tornadoes then yes.