1. Post #1
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,545 Posts
    Hello Reddit,

I'm new here, so if Im not doing this right or something - just tell me! I'm 23 years old and on Fathers Day 2011 I was diagnosed with Stage IV Renal Cell Carcinoma and promptly had my left kidney removed. Since then, I have been on chemo, which is no longer working and the cancer continues to spread. Unlike so many other cancers, this one doesn't have a survival rate. The chemo I am on is simply a means of "Progression-Free Survival" & it is extremly likely that I will not see my 24th birthday, in April. Please tell me in what way I can provide proof for you.. AMAA

Edit: Proof

MAJOR EDIT: Turns out the site 'WePay' that was used to set up this fund, is US only. You must be a US resident with a US account. Looks like this isn't going to happen guys :(

You redditors are so persistant that WePay is now willing to bend the rules a little bit in order to make sure I receive this money, they might just send a cheque to Canada or we might get it done in some other way but it looks like everybody involved wants to make sure I receive this generous generous support you have given me

Wow, so I wake up to find out you guys stared a fund for me? It was started by user z3phyr13 Here is the link: Donate

This was never about money or anything. This is all from YOUR generosity, I didn't ask for this but will accept it

Also: To anybody thinking this will "eventually be exposed as a scam" ... go fall in a fire.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...kidney_cancer/

Donate: http://www.gofundme.com/qa5mk

He was offered sex too: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...cancer/c4xsy6e

UPDATE 09-06-2012
    Donation page has been closed, ended around $30.000.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly x 115Dumb x 25Funny x 6Winner x 4Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    February 2010
    5,499 Posts
    Why is this dumb?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 49Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,679 Posts
    yeah cancer sucks and all but who fucking cares

(User was banned for this post ("Trolling / Shitposting / If you don't care then don't post." - Swebonny))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb x 112Agree x 24Funny x 18Zing x 1Disagree x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    I just feel like that someone is now going to do something similar just to get money and run off with it.

I mean this guy has proof, but I could imagine someone else could try to bullshit everyone just to get money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

5. Post #5
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    we can certainly tell that reddit isn't anywhere near as callous as facepunch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,545 Posts
    $20.000 because of a post on reddit is pretty incredible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 55Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    February 2010
    5,499 Posts
    People who have cancer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing x 60Agree x 5Informative x 2Winner x 2Funny x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    Unfortunate for the guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Useful Useful x 2Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Why is this dumb?
    Facepunch's personal anti-Reddit army.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 72Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,130 Posts
    Why was the thread body deleted?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    6,005 Posts
    this is pretty cool. these kind of stories are always heart warming
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    October 2009
    1,510 Posts
    He's being offered foursomes good god
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 41 (list)

13. Post #13
    I'd buy that for a dollar
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,876 Posts
    $20.000 because of a post on reddit is pretty incredible.
    Yeah man, I wish I had $20 as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 77Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 5Zing Zing x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    Hey an incredible story about a bunch of people being really ni- nevermind it's reddit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny x 20Dumb x 7Agree x 2Disagree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,366 Posts
    If the guy really has cancer and needed the money then that's fine and wonderful.

But still, I think anyone who gives money away when seeing something like this about someone they know nothing about is really dumb. Same thing that blew Kony 2012 and that charity thread on this site out of the water.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

16. Post #16
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    He lives in the EU where a comma marks the decimal break, and a dot indicates an increase of 1000. We use dots and commas in numbers exactly opposite from you guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny x 12Agree x 6Informative x 4Zing x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17

August 2010
    474 Posts
    i'd understand if he had to go undergo treatments and didn't have enough money. But getting money just because he has cancer? that's stupid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    March 2011
    1,220 Posts
    Not trying to sound like a dick or anything but hundreds of thousands of people have cancer in the world, how many of them are given 20 grand?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 42Zing Zing x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    July 2005
    6,545 Posts
    Not trying to sound like a dick or anything but hundreds of thousands of people have cancer in the world, how many of them are given 20 grand?
    Strange times indeed.

20. Post #20
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,241 Posts
    ~~~~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 22Winner Winner x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    I'd buy that for a dollar
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,876 Posts
    He lives in the EU where a comma marks the decimal break, and a dot indicates an increase of 1000. We use dots and commas in numbers exactly opposite from you guys.
    Hm, gonna have to fix that when we finally invade Europe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,983 Posts
    Some countries use a period instead of a comma
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,656 Posts
    i'd understand if he had to go undergo treatments and didn't have enough money. But getting money just because he has cancer? that's stupid.
    You can sum up a good portion of Reddit users with that word. Not saying most Facepunchers are any smarter, but at least we don't feel this strange compulsion to offer out life savings to a guy with cancer for no real reason.

I wouldn't be too against this is he genuinely needed treatments to fulfil some last things in his life, but this is just them literally giving him free money because they "feel sorry" for him. Cool, you're nice guys who give money to people. How about you give some money to someone who needs it to live, and not just because they have cancer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 7 (list)

24. Post #24
    Shut up you asshole. I'd love to see what happens to you with cancer you prissy fuck.

(User was banned for this post ("Flaming" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 21Dumb Dumb x 15Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    facepunch can learn a lot from reddit, i understand that millions will die from cancer unnoticed, but this is a glimpse of what a future society can be..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 24Dumb Dumb x 12Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,691 Posts
    I don't understand why Facepunch has to bash another site for doing something good.

Reddit is a nice place. I frequently browse it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree x 45Dumb x 10Disagree x 2Funny x 2Winner x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    690 Posts
    It'd be better spent at cancer research charities. Make one person more comfortable or potentially find a cure for the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,656 Posts
    Shut up you asshole. I'd love to see what happens to you with cancer you prissy fuck.
    I dunno. I'd probably break down and realise my life is fucked. Get over it with help, start looking at treatments, tell people I know and communities I am part of about it, but only accept their money if I actually fucking needed it perhaps?

He has cancer, big fucking deal, lots of people have cancer. If the "Redditors" want to help, donate to fucking cancer research charities, not someone who has already said his cancer can't be treated and never asked for money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    You can sum up a good portion of Reddit users with that word. Not saying most Facepunchers are any smarter, but at least we don't feel this strange compulsion to offer out life savings to a guy with cancer for no real reason.

I wouldn't be too against this is he genuinely needed treatments to fulfil some last things in his life, but this is just them literally giving him free money because they "feel sorry" for him. Cool, you're nice guys who give money to people. How about you give some money to someone who needs it to live, and not just because they have cancer?
    This is a valid post, but why not help someone live their last months a little better? i don't think some of the people that gave money gave their life savings, most donations, as far as i'm aware averaged at about 100 bucks, that's far from what you call life savings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    I don't understand why Facepunch has to bash another site
    One word: bandwagon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,691 Posts
    Also it has hit 21k, here is the fund: http://www.gofundme.com/OceanSkysVacation

32. Post #32
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,904 Posts
    now that's just hurtful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,656 Posts
    This is a valid post, but why not help someone live their last months a little better? i don't think some of the people that gave money gave their life savings, most donations, as far as i'm aware averaged at about 100 bucks, that's far from what you call life savings.
    When I think of the number of users who would have donated, yeah the "life savings" bit is exaggerated. But still, donating money to someone who never asked for it, and is only accepting it due to their insistence seems a bit silly. Sure it might make his last few months more comfortable, but who's to say he didn't have the money for what he planned in the first place?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    13,245 Posts
    Why is this dumb?
    Because it's on REDDIT! GRRRRRRR, POPULAR WEBSITES!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,656 Posts
    If anything their insistence is well...insulting really. Offering him money because "oh no that poor guy has cancer!!!" isn't going to help. Offering him moral support, just being a decent person to him in general is going to help more. But then again "charity" today is defined as how much money you can shovel into something, not how much you actually help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    When I think of the number of users who would have donated, yeah the "life savings" bit is exaggerated. But still, donating money to someone who never asked for it, and is only accepting it due to their insistence seems a bit silly. Sure it might make his last few months more comfortable, but who's to say he didn't have the money for what he planned in the first place?
    it's more of a message and not about money, we humanity nowadays tend to use money for these kind of things, while i think it's not the best way, it's the meaning that counts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,227 Posts
    I don't understand why Facepunch has to bash another site for doing something good.

Reddit is a nice place. I frequently browse it.
    b-b-b-but some random guys there posted something that was sexist :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    July 2005
    6,545 Posts
    Why was the thread body deleted?
    Hi everybody

Im not sure who will see this because I guess a subreddit was created for me and this is where I'm posting this. My IAmA post got deleted because of the donation link

It was never my intention to ask for any sort of donations. This fund was created in my honor by a beautiful girl in Portland. When I woke up this morning, I expected to log onto reddit finding a few people that enjoyed my post and maybe had some questions for me.... what happened next I can't explain 9000 had already been racked up in an online fund for me. All because of reddit. I can't really express how Im feeling right now

But I'm definitely open to starting the AMAA conversation again...
    http://www.reddit.com/r/OceanSkys/co...donation_link/

39. Post #39
    If anything their insistence is well...insulting really. Offering him money because "oh no that poor guy has cancer!!!" isn't going to help. Offering him moral support, just being a decent person to him in general is going to help more. But then again "charity" today is defined as how much money you can shovel into something, not how much you actually help.
    Perhaps their money is going towards his treatment. 20k could be 200k people combined. You don't know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,241 Posts
    I dunno. I'd probably break down and realise my life is fucked. Get over it with help, start looking at treatments, tell people I know and communities I am part of about it, but only accept their money if I actually fucking needed it perhaps?

He has cancer, big fucking deal, lots of people have cancer. If the "Redditors" want to help, donate to fucking cancer research charities, not someone who has already said his cancer can't be treated and never asked for money.
    Why would they want to donate to cancer charities, when the Reddit thread in question is revolving around an individual with cancer? They are feeling sorry that the individual soon will not be on this planet any more, and hence donates money to him so that he can fuck around a little bit more before his death.

Donating to charities sure is the most optimal option for all the cancer sufferers, but it doesn't really seem relevant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 9Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)