1. Post #161
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,976 Posts
    L.A. Noire? I even have to notch down the resolution, on my fairly decent machine.
    That's just part of the physics engine.
    And I'm still waiting for rockstar to make a decent port. I can't even run LA noire on my much higher than average machine.

2. Post #162
    [SIZE=6][COLOR="#EE82EE"]Hardcore My Little Pony Fan[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    July 2008
    5,870 Posts
    As Microsoft have already stated, the Xbox 360 is more and more becoming a 'media centre'. I think that once the Xbox 720 is out, the 360 will serve more of a media purpose than a gaming purpose. I really dig Metro with apps like YouTube, 4OD, BBC iPlayer and Vevo, it looks sexy and it's also intuitive. The Xbox 360 still has a long life-span, just not in the world of gaming.
    I just love how most of those media centre apps aren't even available where I live, if that's what they would do then xbox would become useless in quite a few countries.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,716 Posts
    xbox 360 graphics card is basically a gtx 7800

PS3 not 360. As previously said it has ATi card named ATi Xenos.

4. Post #164
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    16,436 Posts
    Easy answer. The console market is worth a shit ton lot more than the PC market. Many more consumers.

Edited:

Any game on the Euphoria engine is a major culprit of this

Skyrim? Run on max settings.
    L.A. Noire? I even have to notch down the resolution, on my fairly decent machine.
    euphoria isn't an engine in the sense you are using it, it is rather an animation engine used to procedurally generate animations on the fly, it has nothing to do with physics, graphics, sound, or anything else
    rage is the engine used by gtaiv and max payne 3, la noire uses a custom engine by team bondi, it also doesn't have euphoria
    also, rockstar proved that euphoria and rage can run on a modern computer at 60 fps with max settings fairly easily, gtaiv and la noire were just shit ports

Edited:

That's just part of the physics engine.
    And I'm still waiting for rockstar to make a decent port. I can't even run LA noire on my much higher than average machine.
    rockstar didn't develop la noire, they published it
    la noire used havok, a physics engine basically used universally throughout the industry
    seriously, just play max payne 3, that is probably the best pc version of any game made in the last 3 years, i swear
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,783 Posts
    At this rate, my 360 may actually die before the next one is released. I was wondering how ms was gonna sell their $99 xbox. I think I have my answer.

6. Post #166
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    ITT appreciation of the superior platform, mocking of the inferior platform

if you're looking at it from the fanboy perspective you're looking at it in the wrong way

xbox 360 is literally a lesser platform, and the fact that there's this thing called competition between products makes microsoft stupid for not wanting to change their outdated, and obviously inferior, system
    I agree that the pc is a superior plattform, but take this point into account. When you buy a console for 200$, you have a pretty capable gaming plattform which allows you to play games somewhat decent. You only need a tv/screen which is common in every household.

When you buy a pc for 200$, you are nowhere near running a newer game with somewhat decent performance. You need to spent more to be fully capable of playing a game. Then you also need additonial stuff like different softwares.

So you compare a plattform which has a superior quality but also a far superior price, it's not really a fair comparison. Yes, pc is definitly the way to go, but there's a huge gap between a simple xbox and like a high-end rig.

It's like comparing a motorbike to a bycicle, both get you to a point. But the quality and price differs greatly.

But all in all, it's a matter of preference, a somewhat casual gamer is happy with an xbox. If you want to get more involved you buy a gaming rig on a long run.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

7. Post #167
    own-fucking-zone
    April 2009
    4,016 Posts

All the knowledge you need when building a gaming PC. Click to enlarge.
    Even two levels below entry level isn't using 5400 RPM harddrives. Why people still consider 5400 RPM harddrives an option is beyond me. It affects the whole fucking system to pick ancient harddrives. I didn't even have below 7200 RPM four years ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

8. Post #168
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    I agree that the pc is a superior plattform, but take this point into account. When you buy a console for 200$, you have a pretty capable gaming plattform which allows you to play games somewhat decent. You only need a tv/screen which is common in every household.

When you buy a pc for 200$, you are nowhere near running a newer game with somewhat decent performance. You need to spent more to be fully capable of playing a game. Then you also need additonial stuff like different softwares.

So you compare a plattform which has a superior quality but also a far superior price, it's not really a fair comparison. Yes, pc is definitly the way to go, but there's a huge gap between a simple xbox and like a high-end rig.

It's like comparing a motorbike to a bycicle, both get you to a point. But the quality and price differs greatly.

But all in all, it's a matter of preference, a somewhat casual gamer is happy with an xbox. If you want to get more involved you buy a gaming rig on a long run.
    How much did the PS3 retail for on launch day? $400? right?
    You can very easily build a nice gaming machine for that price, not to mention all the savings you will make on games through steam.

9. Post #169
    Gold Member

June 2007
    15,289 Posts
    who cares about consoles vs. pc in 2012 they all run the same games

10. Post #170
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    who cares about consoles vs. pc in 2012 they all run the same games
    One is comfortable to play games on, the others are awkward and lack features.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

11. Post #171
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    You can very easily build a nice gaming machine for that price, not to mention all the savings you will make on games through steam.
    Yeah, but I am not a guy who buys stuff on release because of the ridiculous high price tags. When Nvidia graphics cards are new or CPUs, they are also expensive as hell. I still remember when RAM was actually somewhat expensive. But now it is thrown in your face for nothing.

Steam offers a lot of great deals, but you can also get some cheap consoles games. Although Steam has a definite advantage.

Edited:

Lacking features?

Most games have the same features/mechanics on consoles. Awkward might also be a bit exagerated?
    I can 360 pretty comfortable if you ask me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Luxembourg Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

12. Post #172
    Gold Member

June 2007
    15,289 Posts
    you mean the pc when talking about awkward to play on right?
    also i never noticed any lack of features in console versions ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,322 Posts
    It went for 600 here...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #174
    Gold Member

June 2007
    15,289 Posts
    ps3 was $599 and sony still made losses with every console sold cause of blu-ray lmao

15. Post #175
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Lacking features?

Most games have the same features/mechanics on consoles. Awkward might also be a bit exagerated?
    I can 360 pretty comfortable if you ask me
    Analogue sticks are inferior in every way.
    A mouse cursor moves with your hand, your character moves in direct response to you.
    With a analogue stick you push your stick in a direction and wait a while for your character to turn round at a set rate, its crap.

I've yet to see a console with a proper thread based IM system, instead you have the equivalent of email which is terrible.
    Mods are practically unheard of, if a game looks crap on a console its like that for all eternity, while on the PC it can be fixed and updated by 3rd party developers over time.

PC is simply better for gaming in every way, and all of that "CONSOLES ARE SOSHELL!" crap is pointless. What modern game actually has split-screen? the Wii is the only one I can think of which works well in that way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

16. Post #176
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,772 Posts
    A mouse cursor moves with your hand, your character moves in direct response to you.
    With a analogue stick you push your stick in a direction and wait a while for your character to turn round at a set rate, its crap.

I've yet to see a console with a proper thread based IM system, instead you have the equivalent of email which is terrible.
    Mods are practically unheard of, if a game looks crap on a console its like that for all eternity, while on the PC it can be fixed and updated by 3rd party developers over time.

PC is simply better for gaming in every way, and all of that "CONSOLES ARE SOSHELL!" crap is pointless. What modern game actually has split-screen? the Wii is the only one I can think of which works well in that way.
    not gaming at all is better for gaming

17. Post #177
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts

Do not start that pointless discussion about analogue sticks, they have advantages where the pc fails and vice versa. I generelly play shooters on the pc, but some action games play so smoothly with a controller. I also think that analogue stick allow better precision in some games. Not in shooter but in third person action plattformer.

Also, xbox for instance offers a party system which is neat, you can join a party with friends and talk with them and always be on the same team and game. Yeah the messages are really unflexible, but the system is more bound to actually using voices.

Mods are really a downside, but for some people that is no biggy, also there aren't many games today that offer mod support. I can only think of Skyrim and Stalker now. Splitscreen is really a underrated way of playing, I had more fun playing splitscreen with few pals while drinking some beers and generelly chilling out. Pc is somewhat not so social.

Besides both plattforms are ambivalent and have strong and weak points, generalizing like "PC is simply better for gaming in every way" is abysmal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Luxembourg Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

18. Post #178
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Do not start that pointless discussion about analogue sticks, they have advantages where the pc fails and vice versa. I generelly play shooters on the pc, but some action games play so smoothly with a controller. I also think that analogue stick allow better precision in some games. Not in shooter but in third person action plattformer.
    How exactly? By nature it is inaccurate, so much so many games have aim snapping to make up for it.

Also, xbox for instance offers a party system which is neat, you can join a party with friends and talk with them and always be on the same team and game. Yeah the messages are really unflexible, but the system is more bound to actually using voices.
    Which unfortunately isn't everyone preference.

Mods are really a downside, but for some people that is no biggy, also there aren't many games today that offer mod support. I can only think of Skyrim and Stalker now. Splitscreen is really a underrated way of playing, I had more fun playing splitscreen with few pals while drinking some beers and generelly chilling out. Pc is somewhat not so social.
    That's what LAN parties are for, I mean most of the good games are the old ones, so I can dump them on my laptop and do exactly the same thing with my friends.

Besides both plattforms are ambivalent and have strong and weak points, generalizing like "PC is simply better for gaming in every way" is abysmal.
    It has far more pluses, its open nature makes it more difficult to be fucked over by companies like EA, you have an incredible amount of choice.
    It has the largest collection of games out of any platform too, as well as superb backwards compatibility with older PC software, and even old console games.

19. Post #179
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    How exactly? By nature it is inaccurate, so much so many games have aim snapping to make up for it.

Which unfortunately isn't everyone preference.

That's what LAN parties are for, I mean most of the good games are the old ones, so I can dump them on my laptop and do exactly the same thing with my friends.

It has far more pluses, its open nature makes it more difficult to be fucked over by companies like EA, you have an incredible amount of choice.

It has the largest collection of games out of any platform too, as well as superb backwards compatibility with older PC software, and even old console games.
    For instance in Dark Souls, pacing is really important. By slightly pushing the analog stick forward, you simply walk very slowly, when you push it a bit more, you slowly run and so on. In racing games, you can do smoother turns by pushing the analogue sticks. Plattforming is also easier, at least for me. With WASD you can only push one button, there are not different ways of pushing it.

Well, I mostly use voice to talk to my buddies. So I am fine with it, it is the easiest thing to do. Messages seem a bit unnecessary. Although only my opinion.

Lan Parties still have another feel to them than being with friends and playing on splitscreen.

Yeah, it has more pluses, but the cost also increases of actually having a decent rig. It is much more versatile in any way. Simply considering that an xbox doesn't even have a browser. I just want to make a point that consoles are not utter shite like a lot of people claim. And that the pc is a great plattform, but also far more expensive.

20. Post #180
    ARERARAGI <3
    July 2007
    399 Posts
    For instance in Dark Souls, pacing is really important. By slightly pushing the analog stick forward, you simply walk very slowly, when you push it a bit more, you slowly run and so on. In racing games, you can do smoother turns by pushing the analogue sticks. Plattforming is also easier, at least for me. With WASD you can only push one button, there are not different ways of pushing it.
    Many pc games use modifier keys to control movement speed and the Dark Souls port can too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #181

Well, I mostly use voice to talk to my buddies. So I am fine with it, it is the easiest thing to do. Messages seem a bit unnecessary. Although only my opinion.

Lan Parties still have another feel to them than being with friends and playing on splitscreen.

Yeah, it has more pluses, but the cost also increases of actually having a decent rig. It is much more versatile in any way. Simply considering that an xbox doesn't even have a browser. I just want to make a point that consoles are not utter shite like a lot of people claim. And that the pc is a great plattform, but also far more expensive.
    You heard of this thing called a gamepad? I have.

Because they aren't exclusive to consoles.

22. Post #182
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    Yeah, but a controller feels more intuitive. But this is just opinion.

I always used my pc to play games and I really liked it, now I own the 360 for 2 years and I really like how some games are handled with controllers. Especially hack/slash RPG games or other third person games. It also adds a bit to the feeling for a game.

Edited:

You heard of this thing called a gamepad? I have.
    That is great, I like when people use Gamepads. But inconspicous stated that mouse and keyboard is superior in any way. I was just adressing this to hist post. I like both a lot. But some games are simply better to play with a controller. Never said that you could only choose one.

There is also a large ignorance for gamepads on the side of "PC gamers", it is to much consolized and such (often stated by people). But honestly that is pretty stupid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Luxembourg Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #183
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,040 Posts
    also i never noticed any lack of features in console versions ever.
    Could be because the features aren't there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 13Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,509 Posts
    But inconspicous stated that mouse and keyboard is superior in any way. I was just adressing this to hist post. I like both a lot. But some games are simply better to play with a controller.
    if you were good with a mouse you'd think otherwise

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    16,436 Posts
    if you were good with a mouse you'd think otherwise
    racing sims, fighting games, and spectacle fighters would like a word with you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

26. Post #186
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Assassins creed just isn't the same with a mouse and keyboard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,214 Posts
    If the 360 lasts for a decade I will record a video of myself burning money.

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,441 Posts
    racing sims, fighting games, and spectacle fighters would like a word with you
    Third person games in general are better with a controller, mostly because where your character is is more importand than perfect aim. And keyboards absolutely suck for precise movement. I mean it gets the job done but you have to do half the work with the mouse. Third person games you can go a fair amount of time only using the left thumbstick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #189
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,214 Posts
    (okay not really)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

30. Post #190
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,976 Posts
    Third person games in general are better with a controller, mostly because where your character is is more importand than perfect aim. And keyboards absolutely suck for precise movement. I mean it gets the job done but you have to do half the work with the mouse. Third person games you can go a fair amount of time only using the left thumbstick.
    I disagree. I hate how thumbsticks always sling back to the middle, it always throws me off and you have constantly push on it to prevent it from moving back, with the mouse you can just hold it there and you're done i guess its a dumb complaint but it bothers me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #191
    October 2009
    1,295 Posts
    glorious pc gaming master race
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

32. Post #192
    November 2010
    2,678 Posts
    glorious pc gaming master race
    Holy crap, I just realised it's been 5 pages and this image still hasn't been posted. I think that's a new record.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

33. Post #193
    September 2011
    119 Posts
    probably delaying it because their sweatshop workers are on strike
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #194
    October 2009
    1,295 Posts
    Holy crap, I just realised it's been 5 pages and this image still hasn't been posted. I think that's a new record.
    lol i was kidding, i just wanted to see how much agrees i would get. honestly i think it doesn't matter what platform you play on.

35. Post #195
    Dennab
    February 2012
    1,191 Posts
    >Just going on FP
    >See the title of this hread
    >MFW

Edited:

Also, I hope next Gen they're system isn't fucking dogshit, I went through 9 360s before I sold it and got a Ps3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #196
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    I went through 9 360s
    seriously?
    i'm still on the one i bought back at launch hahah.

37. Post #197
    Dennab
    February 2012
    1,191 Posts
    seriously?
    Yup. No lie.

38. Post #198
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    16,436 Posts
    seriously?
    i've been through 3, microsoft really dropped the ball on the reliability for those damned things
    at least they finally got it right with the slim

also;
    >2012 and not having all of the consoles + a gaming pc

39. Post #199
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,441 Posts
    I disagree. I hate how thumbsticks always sling back to the middle, it always throws me off and you have constantly push on it to prevent it from moving back, with the mouse you can just hold it there and you're done i guess its a dumb complaint but it bothers me
    You may notice I said thumbsticks are better than keyboards. Everyone knows mice are more accurate than thumbsticks.

I swear it's like PC gamers misunderstand simple points on purpose.

40. Post #200
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,049 Posts
    Also, I hope next Gen they're system isn't fucking dogshit, I went through 9 360s before I sold it and got a Ps3.
    If you don't mind my asking, did you pay for all 9 of those systems or were most of them covered by warranty? I've had several people at my store buying an Xbox 360 who tell me it's their 3rd, 4th, 5th one and I can't help but think "So...by now you've spent more than $1000 on a system that has failed on you (x amount of times) in the 7 years the system has been out. Why do you stick with it if it's so unreliable?"

Personally, I would have ditched the thing after the second failure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)