1. Post #1
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,722 Posts
    Only a few. Right now, the roughly 20,000 man-made objects orbiting the Earth are less regulated than the cars on a morning commute. Satellites are usually on a fixed path, so the traffic control comes prelaunch. Most can move slightly to maintain orbit, but only a few can maneuver on short notice to avoid a collision. Satellite operators make sure they know where other space objects are so that none come close enough to collide.

The International Telecom Union, a United Nations agency, assigns satellites slots in a geosynchronous orbit 22,000 miles above Earth. Operators must agree to follow ITU rules and to register the orbit, broadcast frequency and purpose of their satellite. Satellite owners also register an “end of life” plan, usually giving a nonfunctioning satellite a boost into an internationally recognized “graveyard orbit.”

Other launches, like those for space shuttles, don’t need any international body’s approval but often need national clearance, such as an FAA license. Most space agencies recognize the value of staying out of one another’s way, though, and register launches with the U.N. Office for Outer Space Affairs, which keeps track of an estimated 93.5 percent of all functional space objects, including about 3,600 active satellites. The current system usually works. The only satellite collision on record is a 2009 bang-up between Russian and American satellites in low Earth orbit.
    Source: http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...laws-space-yet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 29Informative Informative x 4 (list)

2. Post #2
    "You should see my penis, it puts a wookie to shame. its like a fucking front tail."
    January 2010
    2,419 Posts
    Shit imagine the ticket for a collision.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 63Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,573 Posts
    Is there any particular reason as to why they're all at the same height? Would they be flung out if they were put up higher? Would they fall back more quickly if they were lower?

Also, why raise them to a “graveyard orbit” rather than forcing them down into the ocean?

4. Post #4
    February 2009
    25,722 Posts
    Shit imagine the ticket for a collision.
    Just imagine the speeding tickets

Edited:

Is there any particular reason as to why they're all at the same height? Would they be flung out if they were put up higher? Would they fall back more quickly if they were lower?

Also, why raise them to a “graveyard orbit” rather than forcing them down into the ocean?
    I would suspect that that specific height that they're all at is the most optimal for being far enough not to fall in but close enough to have good signals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,142 Posts
    You were travelling 3 times over the speed of sound, sir.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 63 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2010
    143 Posts

This is to make sure the satellites remain in the same place, relatively to the earth. i.e. The time of 1 orbit of the satellites is as long as the time the earth need to rotate once.

further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geosynchronous_orbit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    You were travelling 3 times over the speed of sound, sir.
    "This is much too slow, you're causing danger to those around you"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 65Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,836 Posts
    "Thank you for calling, my name is Syntax, how can I help you?"
    'Yeah I got a ticket I'd like to pay'
    "And what region of space was the ticket filed in?"
    'I got my citation number, would that help?'
    "No, sir, I have to know exactly which space station this is in before i can proceed"
    'If I gave you my social would you be able to find it?'
    "...no."

Life wouldn't be much different for me if they had tickets in space, although my company would make a killing processing those.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Useful Useful x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    12,026 Posts
    Just imagine the speeding tickets
    "Your tail light is out"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    "Your tail light is out"
    You know how there are those movie cops who trash a dude's tail light just to be a dick? Imagine that, but in space. Railguns.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

11. Post #11
    Jsm
    "Belgium is pretty much a non-country"
    June 2006
    8,032 Posts

If they aren't at that height (and at the right speed) they aren't in a geosynchronous orbit, which means they move around the earth making it harder to point at. You get some lower but they aren't good for certain things (such as receiving TV through).

As for the graveyard orbit thing, I have always wondered this. I assume its more dangerous to attempt to bring it back to earth then it is just to move it out of the way. Might also require more fuel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,512 Posts
    Sir are you sure you had no alcohol?
    Orbit in a geosynchronous orbit for me please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 13Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,127 Posts
    'Sir I don't give a shit about no vacuum, get out of the vehicle'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,220 Posts
    20,000 man-made objects orbiting the Earth
    Holy fucking shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15

September 2011
    515 Posts
    You know, this makes me wonder why we haven't solved our garbage problem by simply launching it all into the sun.

Think about it. If we could get it to the edge of the earth's gravitational pull, it'd work just fine, and it'd be a really handy incinerator. Also, being a garbage man would be a lot cooler.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,609 Posts
    "Do you have any idea how fast you were orbiting?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Panama Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,990 Posts
    You know, this makes me wonder why we haven't solved our garbage problem by simply launching it all into the sun.

Think about it. If we could get it to the edge of the earth's gravitational pull, it'd work just fine, and it'd be a really handy incinerator. Also, being a garbage man would be a lot cooler.

It would cost too much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

18. Post #18
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    September 2010
    9,190 Posts
    The space around the solar system is too large for there to be a need for traffic laws.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

19. Post #19
    February 2009
    25,722 Posts
    The space around the solar system is too large for there to be a need for traffic laws.
    Given how messy and trashy we are, I'm sure once we really kick start interplanetary colonization, what's around the Earth in terms of debris will envelop the entire system
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    2,451 Posts
    Do you fly on the right side or the left side of space?

21. Post #21
    February 2009
    25,722 Posts
    Do you fly on the right side or the left side of space?
    More like do you fly on the Z axis or Y axis of space?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts

It costs between $3,000 and $12,000 per pound to get into LEO. That's an insane price to pay for garbage disposal.

23. Post #23
    February 2009
    25,722 Posts
    It costs between $3,000 and $12,000 per pound to get into LEO. That's an insane price to pay for garbage disposal.
    Maybe we can toss the idea to Space X

24. Post #24
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Maybe we can toss the idea to Space X
    I doubt it will ever be cost effective with our current method of getting into space. If we had a space elevator, or some other way to get the ship into space without having to spend a shit load of fuel just to get it up there, the costs would be relatively negligable.

So maybe we should toss the idea for a space elevator to Space X.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,327 Posts
    "Ooo play it cool, play it cool. Here come space cops, here come space cops..."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

26. Post #26
    February 2009
    25,722 Posts
    "Ooo play it cool, play it cool. Here come space cops, here come space cops..."
    "Sir, if I searched your vehicle - I need you to tell me now - I won't find any illegal contraband, correct? No Romulan Ale?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

27. Post #27
    Cheesy and delicious.
    August 2010
    6,439 Posts
    I never knew we had 20,000 satellites up there.

28. Post #28
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts

Not only would it cost way too much, but it wouldn't help matters by any means. There isn't anything wrong with garbage, we just don't properly recycle most of it. So there is a lot of natural resources going to waste yearly, taking up more and more space, and the only concern the government will ever have (until it's too late) is "How much will it cost to dig a new hole for X?". And the answer will always be "Cheaper than any other option, do it."

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,867 Posts
    I believe that a lot of the debris (or most of it) is from spent rocket stages, because when they launch a rocket, the stages detach once they're out of fuel, leaving them orbiting the Earth until they degrade, which would take decades to happen naturally - if they were close enough to the atmosphere in the first place, which a lot of the stages weren't.

30. Post #30
    January 2009
    3,935 Posts
    For those of you unfamiliar with orbital mechanics,

The height of a circular orbit is determined by its speed. Disregarding decay from friction, your speed stays mostly constant once you reach orbit because changing speed means burning fuel.

It's not that they would be flung out or fall if they were higher or lower (though lower would decay more quickly), it's that to maintain those heights they would have to be going faster or slower respectively. And then they wouldn't be geosynchronous anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,041 Posts

Wouldn't this also mean basically tossing away matter/energy? If you keep shit on earth you can recycle it or it decomposes or whatever, it's still around in some form but if you launch it into the sun that's a bit of matter that is lost forever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,922 Posts
    Most of the stuff orbiting earth is junk, discarded rockets, stuff dropped during space walks and stuff that was launched before we realised you'd need a plan to move it out of the way when it started to break down.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,268 Posts

Thats a lot harder than you think actually
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    A graveyard orbit is used when the delta-v required to perform a de-orbit maneuver is too high. De-orbiting a geostationary satellite requires a delta-v of about 1,500 m/s, while re-orbiting it to a graveyard orbit only requires about 11 m/s.
    source

AKA you need a shitton less energy and thus fuel to reach the graveyard orbit than to deorbit it.

35. Post #35
    April 2012
    396 Posts
    Wouldn't this also mean basically tossing away matter/energy? If you keep shit on earth you can recycle it or it decomposes or whatever, it's still around in some form but if you launch it into the sun that's a bit of matter that is lost forever
    You clearly don't know your laws of thermodynamics.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,522 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

Satellite is hit by another satellite, which causes the debris to hit other satellites, causing them to break up and smash other satellites, creating a sphere of debris orbiting the Earth, causing space travel to become unfeasible for decades.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    January 2012
    10,922 Posts
    Pretty sure he means that it'd be pretty difficult to take parts out of the sun.

38. Post #38
    November 2010
    5,746 Posts
    well the matter/energy doesn't go completely extinct, you just can't get it back because you've probably absorbed it already

apparently I'm a loser for trying to late myself rate
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    442 Posts
    I doubt it will ever be cost effective with our current method of getting into space. If we had a space elevator, or some other way to get the ship into space without having to spend a shit load of fuel just to get it up there, the costs would be relatively negligable.

So maybe we should toss the idea for a space elevator to Space X.
    RailGun Based launch system...

40. Post #40
    January 2012
    10,922 Posts
    well the matter/energy doesn't go completely extinct, you just can't get it back because you've probably absorbed it already

apparently I'm a loser for trying to late myself rate
    Dude, what