1. Post #161
    April 2011
    1,386 Posts
    This has to be the saddest thing I have ever watched. I actually gelt really fucking sad deep inside.

Christ al-fucking-mighty.

2. Post #162
    I want Harry inside me <3
    Dennab
    December 2010
    767 Posts
    The one who made this video should feel bad unless he is as socially awkward aswell.
    If a "sane" person made this video, it must've been with a nefarious intent.
    As long as these guys are happy I couldn't care less, but why would you put this up for the world to see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

3. Post #163
    into things like this - if you know what
    Dennab
    December 2011
    4,031 Posts
    I would have been frightened to death to film a documentary near these guys
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #164
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,886 Posts
    It's on youtube now
    Notice the dislike bar.
    Wait, minor point, but why the fuck does the guy at 4:20 keep calling Fluttershy a he?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 6Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,255 Posts
    this is like the worst thing ever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #166
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    4,900 Posts
    Wait, minor point, but why the fuck does the guy at 4:20 keep calling Fluttershy a he?!
    He has a lisp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #167
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,886 Posts
    Wow, ponies have ruined that guy at the end's life. Or rather he's let them ruin his life.

8. Post #168
    World of Vagax
    December 2008
    21,443 Posts
    It's on youtube now
    Notice the dislike bar.
    Even better, check the username of the guy who uploaded it

[SUB][SUP]A torrent link through Mediafire, wat [/SUP][/SUB]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

9. Post #169
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,588 Posts
    I was worried for a second this was the documentary being produced by John de Lancie.

Glad it wasn't.
    Say what?

10. Post #170
    VENEZOLANO
    August 2006
    3,416 Posts
    I'd say the problem with bronies is that there's utterly lonely people merely using the show as a vehicle to embed themselves into a fandom where they can potentially meet girls and become accepted in a world that would otherwise refuse to socialize with them because they are fat, ugly, antisocial or generally inadequate, and while this doesn't represent the majority of the fandom (It never does), it's a clear sign of severe psychological issues being passed off as part of a scene, a parallelism from the emo fad.

Am I too far from reality?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #171
    August 2011
    476 Posts
    What I thinked lacked in this documentary is the neutrality (it's mostly oriented against bronies and doesn't cover the whole fandom, just the neckbeards) and some good voice narration to make the viewer ask the right questions and attract his attention over to the most important issues here.
    I was worried for a second this was the documentary being produced by John de Lancie.

Glad it wasn't.
    As mentioned by foreverpandering, the BronyCon documentary is probably just gonna involve brony ass-kissing. Would be cool if someone combined that with this one, we would get a better perspective on the fandom and make points for some interesting debates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Moldova, Republic of Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,111 Posts
    What I thinked lacked in this documentary is the neutrality (it's mostly oriented against bronies and doesn't cover the whole fandom, just the neckbeards) and some good voice narration to make the viewer ask the right questions and attract his attention over to the most important issues here.

As mentioned by foreverpandering, the BronyCon documentary is probably just gonna involve brony ass-kissing. Would be cool if someone combined that with this one, we would get a better perspective on the fandom and make points for some interesting debates.
    Yeah, this documentary was heavily biased against bronies. And I fear the DeLancie documentary will be heavily biased for bronies. Especially considering bronies have dropped nearly $300,000 into it. Why would you pay someone that much to say bad stuff about you? If the DeLancie documentary says bad things about bronies, I expect a huge shitfest.

13. Post #173

14. Post #174
    June 2010
    4,393 Posts
    Yeah, this documentary was heavily biased against bronies.
    by going to a bronycon?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 3 (list)

15. Post #175
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,887 Posts
    I hate hearing the "this doesn't represent the whole fandom" shit.

Judging by this "documentary", yes, yes, it does.

It's impossible to go on the internet and avoid any pony pictures or mlp references or shit.

On FP, on 4chan, on Steam, in the news, on Youtube, they're fucking everywhere and I want it to stop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32Dumb Dumb x 15 (list)

16. Post #176
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,182 Posts
    I don't get how someone could be so obsessed with this show. I watched it a while ago with Jackald, and sure it was a nice show and I enjoyed most of it, but I didn't think it was good enough to have a whole lifestyle based around it. It's an alright show, it's not amazing and there's no reason for these people to be so obsessed with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

17. Post #177
    April 2012
    5,287 Posts
    I just wrote up a huge rant on this, but on retrospective I realized I could possibly get my point across better by posting an image of that Lyra plush fuck toy somebody made.

18. Post #178
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,313 Posts
    I hate hearing the "this doesn't represent the whole fandom" shit.

Judging by this "documentary", yes, yes, it does.

It's impossible to go on the internet and avoid any pony pictures or mlp references or shit.

On FP, on 4chan, on Steam, in the news, on Youtube, they're fucking everywhere and I want it to stop
    It's going to be a long few years until the MLP fandom is dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

19. Post #179
    April 2012
    5,287 Posts
    It's going to be a long few years until the MLP fandom is dead.
    It won't die, give it a year or two and it'll just become more and more like the sonic fandom.

Stagnant and putrid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #180
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,610 Posts
    I just wrote up a huge rant on this, but on retrospective I realized I could possibly get my point across better by posting an image of that Lyra plush fuck toy somebody made.
    The plush toy got ridiculed by many bronies.
    http://asklyratheplushie.tumblr.com/
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...16/997/877.png
    http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...17/025/9f9.png
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZqvMKA3f5E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx92cfHyDWs

I like this one most:
    http://nightmaremoons.deviantart.com...-SFW-305857339
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #181
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,111 Posts
    by going to a bronycon?
    More like cherry picking the people with obvious social problems at a bronycon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #183

June 2012
    7 Posts
    Honestly, I watch the show and I do enjoy it very much. I interact with other fans... And I will admit I've seen quite a few autistic neckbeards out there... I try to stay away from them.

At the end of the day, the show isn't my life. There are many other things I can spend my time on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

24. Post #184
    August 2005
    2,976 Posts
    What you all need to understand is that this sort of behavior and these sad individuals apply to EVERY fandom out there, not limited to MLP in any way. That said you must also make the realization that a lot of people who are fans are perfectly normal individuals, who are just following a scene that they enjoy following. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, if people are doing something that they enjoy, fuck it, let them enjoy it.

To note I am not a fan of the show in any way, but I am and have been a fan of several other scenes which face or have faced similar scrutiny as the MLP scene, there is just a bunch of unwarranted hate being thrown around for this one in particular at the moment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,310 Posts
    I feel sorry for the people who go to the MLP convention and are unable to fit in, like those people sitting in the corner.

26. Post #186
    Frog Member
    February 2008
    2,540 Posts
    You know it's bad when you're too much of a sperg to fit in at SpergCon 2012
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,979 Posts
    I kind of like the underground vibe of the documentary.
    Also with most attention being paid to the more extreme cases of fandom I get the feeling the director was aiming at controversy. The far majority of the poeple at the con look weird at hell but the poeple being interviewed make the documentary really, really painfull to watch. That and for example the small cuts of outcasts in the corner make it seem that the director did this all on purpose. I think he is more or less a neutral guy who wants to show the world how twisted the fandom within the MLP community is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #188
    January 2012
    416 Posts

I mean shit, they've even infiltrated my precious Mechwarrior Online and Planetside 2. Yet neither of those have even been officially released and gained a large following.

29. Post #189
    Give it a good ol' rub
    November 2008
    3,882 Posts
    25 seconds in and I already stopped watching after seeing that first person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #190
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,131 Posts
    I CAN SING ALL MLP SONGS BY HEART AM I COOL YET???
    suddenly he lisps
    she sounds like he
    he hides her face in her hair
    walking my little pony
    meant to say watching
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

31. Post #191
    September 2010
    1,941 Posts
    You know, people tend to counter-argue the point of this doc being hyperbolic with "Well I see sick shit from the MLP fandom all the time on the internet and it's rare to see a normal fan!", yeah, this is why we call it the "Vocal Minority". Obviously, you'll notice a lot more of the depraved shit that comes out of the fandom, both due to it standing out more and due to the more normal fans not having a reason to announce their presence where the more radical of fans do (i.e, TF2 servers). And that's not even considering that a lot of the horrible sprays and depraved tumblr posts you see are done for shits and giggles/ironically in the first place.

What I'm saying is that most of the fandom is typically shades of grey. Not all fans are either "Just dudes who are totally cool and successful otherwise" or "Horrible sweaty neckbeards who never shower and are completely obsessed with the fandom". I know this because this exact same thing happened with things like the Furry fandom, and it was just as retarded, overblown and wrong then, except we didn't get entire documentaries based off of two close-minded and dumb mindsets that set out to either circlejerk the fandom or make it out as something that literally causes autism (As far as I know, the closest they got was a silly CSI episode). "Bronycon: The Documentary" and this thing are both dumb, hyperbolic wastes of money that only serve to stroke the director's ego, and now I'd really just like to see a documentary that is directed by someone who actually wants to make a proper documentary on the subject, not a live-action Pony Thread Simulator or an overfunded circlejerk video with its only message being "Stop Hatin'!".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #192
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,131 Posts
    I lvoe how the voice actress went "Probably not!"

33. Post #193
    :-)
    December 2007
    4,197 Posts
    It still perplexes me as to how a cartoon show can grow such of a large and obsessive collection of odd individuals. I actually went and watched an episode out of curiosity since Bronies obviously like it so much, and it was... embarrassing. For the most part it's some Hasbro version of a Disney cartoon (awful) with a really predictable plot. Even if the show is watched as an escape I'm still wondering how for a children's TV show people go to such of a degree to be completely flamboyant about it and try to tack in onto everything. Fuck, there's even an entire website dedicated to modifications for TF2 along with the people in the documentary. Also like what people said in earlier posts, what's going to happen to these people once the show is over or they get to a age where it goes from their interest being weird to completely creepy? A lot of them are really insecure about themselves, (look at the endless MLP apologetic youtube top comments) so what the fuck is going to happen to them when people start calling the police on them? These people really need to rethink where their lives have gone.

Edited:

You know, people tend to counter-argue the point of this doc being hyperbolic with "Well I see sick shit from the MLP fandom all the time on the internet and it's rare to see a normal fan!", yeah, this is why we call it the "Vocal Minority". Obviously, you'll notice a lot more of the depraved shit that comes out of the fandom, both due to it standing out more and due to the more normal fans not having a reason to announce their presence where the more radical of fans do (i.e, TF2 servers). And that's not even considering that a lot of the horrible sprays and depraved tumblr posts you see are done for shits and giggles/ironically in the first place.
    The problem for me isn't that I think that all of them are the "Vocal Minority" it's just that the "Vocal Minority" is completely fucking insane versus so many other fandoms. I can't really think of another fandom where some sick-fuck guro fan fiction gets a sudden burst of attention.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #194
    DANCE YOU FOOLS
    November 2007
    1,672 Posts
    Who the made this documentary? And why the fuck did they specifically film it at conventions? why? What shit goes through your brain when you think filming a documentary about bronies, at a place filled with people dumb enough to actually pay hard cash to go is a good idea? why?!
    The same reason journalists historically went into hotspots like Bosnia in the late 90's, Libya last year, or Syria today.

Yes, I just compared journalists going into warzones with this guy going to a brony convention.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Useful Useful x 1 (list)

35. Post #195
    October 2011
    740 Posts
    This is honest to god horrible. However, some thing tells me it's not the show that is doing this.

There's always in any fandom a deep end filled with really fucked up shit. Whether this portion in the MLP fandom is a large chunk is debated. Regardless, just look at some of these people. Most of the male fandom are in their mid teens/mid 30s. For some one like that to fall in love with a show originally meant for a young female audience has to be questionable in it's self.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, even if the show didn't exist, these people probably would just attach onto another fandom or kids show. I kind of feel like Lauren Faust was just a victim of random selection.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #196
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,919 Posts
    what's going to happen to these people once the show is over or they get to a age where it goes from their interest being weird to completely creepy?
    you'd be surprised how many people apparently have been fans of the first generation (even proclaiming that they like the old stuff better), and that was without the internet nor a gigantic fanbase to help keep things cycling. I honestly don't see it ending any time soon, if anything it'll just recede back to cult following. Not to compare, but look at how popular things like Invader Zim still are, and that ended a decade ago.

and to the show's credit with how you said it was like a disney cartoon, the animation team is comprised of people who've previously worked on a majority of cartoon network shows from its golden age; dexter's lab, powerpuff girls (character designer/project lead from the start), samurai jack, foster's home, even the Iron Giant. No excuses for shallow plot given they're obviously aiming at a young crowd and need to present something to take easily at face value. Still, the sheer amount of pop culture references they throw in is pretty astounding, and intentionally meant to be entertaining to the older crowd- that was because they didn't want older siblings or babysitters or young parents to have to sit through mindless garbage with their little ones, but obviously it was a little too well done.

It's a cartoon, and it's about as watchable as anything else if you're bored on a saturday morning (if you can get past your pride), but not as astoundingly amazing as what some bronies try and make it out to be. TH89 was pretty well spoken about the messages on misogyny and feminism and acceptance of ideals that are against the norm when he wrote that song a while back, but also noted the good deep stuff like that fell on deaf ears when it came to the rabid, hypocritical fanbase it has become.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

37. Post #197
    March 2011
    1,744 Posts
    Am I the only one who gets confused when we bash one fandom and then don't bash another?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #198
    Stardust crusader
    March 2009
    2,846 Posts
    Cause some fandoms are weird as hell and others aren't as weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #199
    I want Harry inside me <3
    Dennab
    December 2010
    767 Posts
    After reading through some of the comments in here, I did really began to doubt that I was actually browsing Facepunch.
    The fact that a majority of the comments here does not contain pure, naive hatred or bashing Is quite the new sight for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #200
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,890 Posts
    After reading through some of the comments in here, I did really began to doubt that I was actually browsing Facepunch.
    The fact that a majority of the comments here does not contain pure, naive hatred or bashing Is quite the new sight for me.
    the documentary transformed the hate to pity
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)