1. Post #201
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,566 Posts
    Why the hell are the doors bigger in l4d anyway? Tanks?
    When you are getting chased by zombies, do you really want to run into a door frame?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

2. Post #202
    Paw
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    333 Posts
    What do I hate most? Probably when you start building a level and you know you have so long to go before everything is sealed up and ready for testing.
    Or when you encounter and unfixable problem and you have to start over. I've reached maximum vertices on many of my unreleased levels.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #203
    November 2008
    1,123 Posts
    Robust means strong/sturdy. Our Hammer is unstable as a card house on ice so I have no idea how they could have something even more unstable.
    Why do you think Episode 3 is taking so damn long to develop? Their version of Hammer is constantly crashing! vv
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

4. Post #204
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    3,497 Posts
    Why the hell are the doors bigger in l4d anyway? Tanks?
    To fit Gabe Newell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Mapping King Mapping King x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #205
    I watched a stream of a video game so that means I'm an authority on it!
    May 2007
    5,054 Posts
    I hate how the SDK docs and Hammer havent been supported in years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #206
    April 2012
    356 Posts
    Hadn't quite seen this thread
    not the grid itself, but when im in a map and snapping things to the grid and decreasing the size, i get a headache lining things and seeing the lines and its just arghhhh
    Use cordon in just the area you are working with to clean the grid up considerably.
    My arch-nemesis, the compile log. Can't understand in about it.

Displacements, because sometimes they are reliable and look great if you're doing something small like a backyard, but then do anything larger then that and you get a huge messed up displacement with spikes going everywhere and you can't sew anything together.

Then there's lighting, the best I can do is a small bedroom with a light_spot and a small light entity around the source of the light_spot to make it look realistic.
    Displacements are almost always learned through practice and knowing when to use certain techniques; I may want to make some more tutorials some time
    About the light, add a point_spotlight so the light beam is visible, it makes a huge difference
    Textures are almost all made for the 120 height and anything a pixel more makes the whole thing look like shit.
    All textures are meant for brush faces with power-of-two sizes, because it is a requirement for VTF files to be a power of two in dimension. 512x512 pixels = 128x128 Hammer units
    Now, I don't know if it's just me and how I'm new to this whole mapping thing but, I find it difficult to place props around the map, particular small ones like the >B soda can.
    While any 3D viewport is selected, hit X to toggle the ability to move/rotate/scale props and brushes in 3D, I cannot work with props such as foliage any other way
    several floor buildings

the first floors height is okay but the second and up always look like shit

or then it will be "off grid"
    As long as floors are 128 and the areas between then are 16 there should be no issue. New mappers, even when they know a floor is supposed to be 128 high, will stack this without dividers and have no idea where to stick the floor/ceiling between each story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 3Funny x 1Informative x 1Zing x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #207
    johnny guitar was here
    February 2010
    6,159 Posts
    As long as floors are 128 and the areas between then are 16 there should be no issue. New mappers, even when they know a floor is supposed to be 128 high, will stack this without dividers and have no idea where to stick the floor/ceiling between each story.
    but then youll have to move every floors textures up by 16 per floor
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #208
    April 2012
    356 Posts
    but then youll have to move every floors textures up by 16 per floor
    Depending on the building; if a plain exterior such as brick or stucco, the floor breaks can be seamless with the rest of the building side (method A), or allow room for decoration between floors (method B.) If the texture has an apparent bottom/top and should not be used seamlessly, it will be a bad idea, or method B.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #209
    July 2012
    1 Posts
    Elevators. God I despise them. >:@
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,593 Posts
    Optimization, I just suck at it.

This map is going to be fun, it's all open and there's a bunch of detail...

Oh, it's taking forever to compile and is slow as shit in game. To the trash...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #211
    June 2012
    528 Posts
    You cant make hollow sphere or torus, thats annoying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

12. Post #212
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    You cant make hollow sphere or torus, thats annoying.
    You mean, apart from using the torus tool?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #213
    johnny guitar was here
    February 2010
    6,159 Posts
    select multiple brushes
    vertex edit
    imma select these 14 vertices and move them up by...
    NO NOT JUST THAT ONE VERTICE ALL OF THEM!
    okay lets re-select them and- NO I DIDNT WANT TO SELECT THAT BRUSH!

vertex tool hates me, and the feeling is mutual
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #214
    April 2008
    1,744 Posts
    the compile times, and if you make a slight mistake than you have to redo the whole thing over again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #215
    April 2011
    319 Posts
    When you keep compiling your maps and the actual map does not update to the newest compiled.
    Don't even mention that, this is happening for me everytime im getting new stuff to my map.

16. Post #216

August 2010
    33 Posts
    Don't even mention that, this is happening for me everytime im getting new stuff to my map.
    try using vbct, it stops when it finds a compile problem.

17. Post #217
    Bitch Plzzz!
    Dennab
    September 2011
    834 Posts
    I hate getting started on a new map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

18. Post #218
    May 2009
    428 Posts
    try using vbct, it stops when it finds a compile problem.
    Or just only run VBSP and nothing else then look at the log to see if there's any deathly errors.

VBSP takes like a minute at most anyway. I always do this before fully compiling a map so that I don't get kicked in the balls later.

19. Post #219
    I like cheese...
    July 2009
    1,972 Posts
    I hate Out of memory loading solid.

I really do.

20. Post #220
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,271 Posts
    I hate when I flesh out a basic shape for a map, then I get stumped and cannot conceive how to possibly add detail without ruining it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

21. Post #221
    July 2012
    50 Posts
    figuring out what to make.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

22. Post #222
    March 2011
    820 Posts
    Never finding the texture i want -.-'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

23. Post #223
    I watched a stream of a video game so that means I'm an authority on it!
    May 2007
    5,054 Posts
    I really hate how Valve has put almost no effort into making a better mapping tool.

I messed around a bunch with Natural Selections 2 editor Spark, its fucking amazing compared to hammer, it was made by like two people I think in the start at least.

Real Dynamic lighting in real time, you deal with 1 sided surfaces, so no more nodrawing everything, it does it on its own.

And the best fucking thing to ever grace map making.

You can resize props, if your room doesnt fit the standard propsize, well you can just size it to make it fit, and it usually looks really good unless you size it to much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #224
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    3,497 Posts
    When you forget one itty bitty thing in a bsp using pakrat, and having to reupload the map the every filesharing site you put it on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #225
    September 2010
    6,769 Posts
    Displacements.

The thing I hate the most is that you have to edit the height of only one face of the brush for them not to fuck up in game, and I always forget it.

I don't really map much, but when I do, that is probably what annoys me the most

Edited:

I hate when I flesh out a basic shape for a map, then I get stumped and cannot conceive how to possibly add detail without ruining it.
    Me in a nutshell

26. Post #226
    You'll have to speak up. I'm wearing a towel.
    January 2007
    762 Posts
    I think the thing I hate the most is actually getting started. Looking at that void, even when you've got all your ideas penned out, is still really intimidating.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

27. Post #227
    Sir Michael Cole
    September 2008
    2,929 Posts
    One thing I will never understand, is optimization. I think I understand Area Portals pretty well, but Hint brushes still boggle my mind. Especially in wide open areas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #228
    Hammer never crashes on me until I finally get some inspiration and start mapping... Also I hate that Valve isn't releasing the Portal 2 or CS:GO mod code.

29. Post #229
    March 2010
    1,055 Posts
    One thing I will never understand, is optimization. I think I understand Area Portals pretty well, but Hint brushes still boggle my mind. Especially in wide open areas.
    Ah yes. The very thing preventing me from completing a map I've been working on for almost a year.

30. Post #230
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,259 Posts
    Learning how to do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #231
    Problems are hidden solutions (c)
    November 2011
    1,816 Posts
    Textured and shaded view mode doesn't work properly in cs:go sdk

32. Post #232
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts
    This is why all my maps end up inside for the most part :V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #233
    Portal 2: Abyss
    September 2009
    1,222 Posts
    I don't know if someone mentioned it.

What i hate from hammer is that there is a bunch of different hammer editor with all of them some special feature that you cant use in the others one .. Ex: Portal has linked_portal_door that would be usefull for Left 4 dead or Hl2 mapping .. etc

They have to make ONE hammer editor will ALL the dang feature -.-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #234
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,972 Posts
    I don't know if someone mentioned it.

What i hate from hammer is that there is a bunch of different hammer editor with all of them some special feature that you cant use in the others one .. Ex: Portal has linked_portal_door that would be usefull for Left 4 dead or Hl2 mapping .. etc

They have to make ONE hammer editor will ALL the dang feature -.-
    That's not to do with hammer, that's different games having separate content. You could write an fgd or turn off smart edit and put in those entities, but they wouldnt work. If Valve rolled out all the code for all their games with each individual game (which they would need to, to do as you suggest) the bloat would be horrendous.

35. Post #235
    September 2009
    1,222 Posts
    That's not to do with hammer, that's different games having separate content. You could write an fgd or turn off smart edit and put in those entities, but they wouldnt work. If Valve rolled out all the code for all their games with each individual game (which they would need to, to do as you suggest) the bloat would be horrendous.
    Nah its about the Function the different hammer editor has ... L4d has the Director thing .. Portal 2 has Linked portal door .. etc. Has far i know we cant port the Points Entities from the other engine to one single one. (well i dont know how and many people told me that we cant)

36. Post #236
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,972 Posts
    Nah its about the Function the different hammer editor has ... L4d has the Director thing .. Portal 2 has Linked portal door .. etc. Has far i know we cant port the Points Entities from the other engine to one single one. (well i dont know how and many people told me that we cant)
    I don't think you understand, that's not a result of hammer, that's a result of different versions of the source engine used for different games. You can use whatever entities you like in your map. You can make a map under the l4d2 config for hammer and manually make linked portal door entities all over the shop. Hammer won't complain - it just wont work in game.

37. Post #237
    September 2009
    1,222 Posts
    yeah i just get what you mean, so i was complaining about source engine .. not hammer itself .. sry then
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #238
    August 2010
    293 Posts
    func_lod for big open areas.

here are three of my shitty tutorials where I try to explain what VVIS is. -shameless plug-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rt5lLLNml4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H4US-t1SbM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2775VvTINL4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #239

August 2011
    58 Posts
    3 Things:
    1. When highlighting multiple objects if you click too fast source sdk crashes on bigger maps
    2. Shift dragging doesn't work sometimes so before you realize it didn't work you already moved it from its original position and you have to move it back.
    3. Placing cubemaps...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #240
    April 2011
    319 Posts
    Inaccurate light_enviorment system.You dont really see where is light going or reflecting, until you compile the map wich will consume even more hours than you have worked on single lighting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Poland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)