1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    3,979 Posts
    You don't need to take examples from DNF, just look at any game series where it wasn't on steam and then moved to steam, the forums for those games are always filled with people who oppose steam/never used it. Hell I heard even the latest football manager being steam only caused problems.

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    You should've seen the CivFantics forum when Civ V was going to be released on steamworks.

They thought you had to install spyware(what they called steam) and you weren't allowed to use mods ever.
    reminds me of facepunch about bf3 and me3

omg spyware
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,183 Posts
    http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/sh...d.php?t=117553

Starts off ok but it gets ugly really quick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Right, so the moral of it is: "Anything that costs money doesn't support freedom. Me telling you not to use it supports freedom."
    One important thing to understand when he says free is open source, not free in cost.
    "Nonfree games" means games that you can't modify the source and compile yourself.
    It's really stupid to hold games to that standard because who honestly cares that much about games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Jsm
    "Belgium is pretty much a non-country"
    June 2006
    8,040 Posts
    Right, so the moral of it is: "Anything that costs money doesn't support freedom. Me telling you not to use it supports freedom."
    He is using free as in libre not free as in gratis.
    The suggestion is that anything that isn't open is bad for Linux. As long as people hold this belief Linux is never going to be a mainstream OS. Opensource and free software is great but people being paid do things a hell of a lot better, commercial closed source software and open source free software can co-exist on Linux happily.

I support opensource software but that doesn't stop me buying software or games, it shouldn't stop anyone. His great idea that the entire world will eventually use free software is insane and will never happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #46
    August 2009
    2,878 Posts
    It's almost as if you think what he's saying makes any sense
    No his ideas are unworkable and can't really ever happen on the scale he wants them to. I'm saying that it's not because he's jealous, as another poster suggests, but because he's sticking to his extreme philosophy.

7. Post #47
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    no the moral of it is: Loriborn did not understand a single thing Stallman wrote.
    he's talking about open-source. you know, like that thing GNU is about?

you know, it's in the fucking OP?

8. Post #48
    January 2011
    1,169 Posts
    no the moral of it is: Loriborn did not understand a single thing Stallman wrote.
    how can you deduct that by reading the article? it says nothing about Loriborn

9. Post #49
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    how can you deduct that by reading the article? it says nothing about Loriborn
    read between the lines man
    it said some wild shit about RichyZ too, alongside a great recipe for bubble and squeak.

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    what's up with this guy

he's talking about windows and steam like they're cancer and only wearing the tinfoil hat of linux will keep it from growing on you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    read between the lines man
    it said some wild shit about RichyZ too, alongside a great recipe for bubble and squeak.
    god i hate stallman, hes always writing about how "richyz had sexual relations with an 11 year old dog", hes been doing this shit for 3 years now

hey asshole, i never fucked a dog
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,230 Posts
    reminds me of facepunch about bf3 and me3

omg spyware
    that's different, [at the time] there was actually evidence (later proved false or a hoax) that suggested it literally had spyware

Labelling Steam as spyware was more of an opinion or ad hominem than actual behavior
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #53
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    what's up with this guy

he's talking about windows and steam like they're cancer and only wearing the tinfoil hat of linux will keep it from growing on you
    jeez a person who has advocated open-source doesn't like windows or steam
    that's weird i can't figure that out either
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 6Funny x 2Winner x 1Dumb x 1Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    that's different, [at the time] there was actually evidence (later proved false or a hoax) that suggested it literally had spyware

Labelling Steam as spyware was more of an opinion or ad hominem than actual behavior
    steam also looked at all of your shit, for the same reason origin did it

15. Post #55
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,852 Posts
    I've noticed that the people who hate steam really hate it.
    Steam killed, ate and raped my dog.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

16. Post #56
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,245 Posts
    More Stallman videos, if you can't tell he's the guy with the laptop.

Some serious swagga step the fuck back everybody
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #57
    June 2008
    3,563 Posts
    In that order? Impressive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,104 Posts
    I support free and open source software as much as the next guy but I can't help but feel like Richard Stallman is a parody of himself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    May 2011
    499 Posts
    Could someone get the title of this thread changed? "Open source" is not the correct term to use here. Should be replaced with "free software".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,742 Posts
    It poisoned our water supply, burned our crops and delivered a plague unto our houses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    Glod Menber
    May 2008
    24,588 Posts
    Steam stole the contents of my wallet :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,669 Posts

freedom
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 28Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,104 Posts
    Could someone get the title of this thread changed? "Open source" is not the correct term to use here. Should be replaced with "free software".
    Surely I'm not the only one who thinks that list kinda oozes paranoia and has an unhealthy amount of nitpicking?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,443 Posts
    This guy uses the word "freedom" a lot, it's kinda off-putting, like listening to an American politician speak.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2Late Late x 2 (list)

25. Post #65
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,852 Posts
    Steam stole the contents of my wallet :(
    and replaced it with like 100 video games
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 3 (list)

26. Post #66
    May 2011
    499 Posts
    Surely I'm not the only one who thinks that list kinda oozes paranoia and has an unhealthy amount of nitpicking?
    Incorrect and loaded terms passed off as normal are a bad thing. I can accept terms like Photoshop or MP3 player and the GLAMP thing is nitpicking but using correct and neutral language is important.

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,104 Posts
    Incorrect and loaded terms passed off as normal are a bad thing. I can accept terms like Photoshop or MP3 player and the GLAMP thing is nitpicking but using correct and neutral language is important.
    I'm sorry but language like "That presupposes that proprietary software is legitimate" kind of throws the neutral language aspect out the window.
    Oh, and I like how the word 'content' apparently automatically means its only purpose is for money rather than, you know, actual content.
    I can get behind the various entries on free software and the confusion around it but there is absolutely no way in hell you're gonna convince me this guy uses neutral language.

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Everybody uses the word Kleenex to say tissue, and nobody gets their panties up in a bunch over it. (Maybe the folks at Puffs do)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,619 Posts
    SECTION 7: IN REGARDS TO THE FREE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION AND THE GNU PROJECT

If you are, have been, or plan to be associated or affiliated with the Free Software Foundation or the GNU project, then under no circumstances are you permitted to discuss, criticize, or otherwise consider this License, nor are you permitted to use the Work under this License, or any derivative work thereof, without express written consent from the Author.

You understand that merely using the GNU project or using or authoring a work under a GNU license, such as the GPL, does not associate you in any way with the Free Software Foundation or the GNU project.
    take that GNUtcases

Edited:

(the 7 is just a bullshit section number I made up)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,742 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #71
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,808 Posts
    I don't understand this, and maybe that's because I don't own a Linux system. If this is what he's saying, does he want everyone to just use Linux to play free or pirated games rather than buy games that have any form of DRM?
    I really hate a lot of the Linux community for pretty much this reason. They act like if anybody besides Red Hat does commercial software, it's gonna be like Windows and every distro will be locked down or something.

For a bunch of pretty smart guys, most of them are retarded.
    I sort of get where he's coming from

but the idea that programs ('information') should be free is stupid. It boils down to asking programmers/GUI artists/etc to work for free
    Red Hat produces enterprise Linux: it costs money to use, you have to pay. Still Red Hat is considered to produce free software: because once purchased it can be used without limitation.

Even Stallman's own Free Software Foundation supports the idea of selling free software:

Wikipedia posted:
    The Free Software Foundation encourages selling free software. As the Foundation has written, "Distributing free software is an opportunity to raise funds for development. Don't waste it!".[28] For example the GNU GPL which is the Free Software Foundation's license states that "[the user] may charge any price or no price for each copy that you convey, and you may offer support or warranty protection for a fee."[29]
    The definition of free software is that it is free as in "freedom" not free as in "free beer". The issue, then, with Steam is that it uses DRM, as unobtrusive as the vast majority of us find it to be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,840 Posts
    Try going on the elder scrolls forums. You'd think half of the user base had steam rape and kill their entire family with how much they hate on it, its rather hilarious

Pretty clear who the people are on the forum that literally play no PC games at all, except elderscrolls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,104 Posts
    And I've noticed that the people who hate Origin really hate it, just another day on the internet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    10,019 Posts
    Why is he always wearing a red polo shirt? Or has he been wearing the same shirt for the past 30 years?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #75
    April 2010
    789 Posts
    While stallman stands for a arguably good cause (i.e. the whole 'free as in freedom' schtick and companies not abusing users through software), he's a bit too extreme for my tastes. he gets a 8/10 for effort, but minus several billion for good thinking.

EDIT: I use both open-source and closed-source OSes and software on a daily basis. What now, huh?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,379 Posts
    tbh a lot of the foss foundation is a bit mental.

37. Post #77
    this is what happens when you mix being a cult leader with a deontological ethical system

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,375 Posts
    /g/ is going to love this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    I WOTCH ANIEM
    October 2008
    8,100 Posts
    If you think about it, it makes sense. He's not trying to stop it, simply trying to get people to stop TALKING about it, which is not that crazy.

40. Post #80
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    14,177 Posts
    If you think about it, it makes sense. He's not trying to stop it, simply trying to get people to stop TALKING about it, which is not that crazy.
    If you want freedom, one requisite for it is not having these games on your computer. That much is clear.
    Sounds like he wants it stopped to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)