1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,736 Posts
    Mad Max

I'm sure there are a few folks on here that would like to see a thread on this fantastic movie.

Mad Max is a 1979 Australian post-apocalyptic action film directed by George Miller and revised by Miller and Byron Kennedy over the original script by James McCausland. The film stars Mel Gibson, who was unknown at the time. Its narrative based on the traditional western genre, Mad Max tells a story of breakdown of society, love and revenge. It became a top-grossing Australian film and has been credited for further opening up the global market to Australian New Wave films. The film was the first Australian film to be shot with a widescreen anamorphic lens. [2]

The first film in the series, Mad Max spawned sequels Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior in 1981 and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome in 1985.
    Plot

In a dystopian future Australia, law & order has begun to break down. Berserk motorcycle gang member Crawford "Nightrider" Montizano has escaped police custody and is attempting to outrun the Main Force Patrol (MFP) in a stolen Pursuit Special (Holden Monaro). Though he manages to elude his initial pursuers, the MFP's top pursuit man, Max Rockatansky, then engages the less-skilled Nightrider in a high-speed chase, resulting in the death of Nightrider in a fiery crash.

Nightrider's motorcycle gang, led by Toecutter and Bubba Zanetti, is running roughshod over a town, vandalising property, stealing fuel and terrorising the populace. Max and officer Jim "Goose" Rains arrest Toecutter's young protege, Johnny "the Boy" Boyle, when Johnny, too high to ride, stays behind after the gang rapes a young couple. When no witnesses appear for his trial, the courts throw the case out and Johnny is released. An angry Goose attacks Johnny and must be held back; both men shout threats of revenge. After his lawyer drags Johnny away, MFP Captain Fred "Fifi" McPhee tells his officers to do whatever it takes to apprehend the gangs, "so long as the paperwork's clean."

A short time later, Johnny sabotages Goose's motorcycle; it locks up at high speed, throwing Goose from the bike. Goose is unharmed, though his bike is badly damaged; he borrows a ute to haul his bike back. However, Johnny and Toecutter's gang are waiting in ambush. Johnny throws a brake drum at Goose's windscreen, which shatters and causes Goose to crash the ute; Toecutter then instructs Johnny to throw a match into the gasoline leaking from Goose's wrecked ute, while Goose is trapped inside. Johnny refuses; Toecutter first cajoles, then verbally and physically abuses him. Johnny eventually throws the lit match into the wreckage, which erupts in flames.

Goose is severely burned. After seeing his charred body in the hospital, Max becomes disillusioned with the Police Force. Worried of what may happen if he continues working for the MFP - and that he is beginning to enjoy the insanity - Max announces to Fifi that he is resigning from the MFP. Fifi convinces him to take a holiday first before making his final decision.

While at the coast, Max's wife, Jessie and their infant son run into Toecutter's gang, who attempt to rape her. She flees, but the gang later finds them again at the remote farm where she and Max are staying. The gang runs over Jessie and Max's son as they try to escape, leaving their crushed bodies in the middle of the road. Max arrives too late to save them.

Filled with rage, Max dons his police leathers and takes a supercharged black Pursuit Special (Ford XB Falcon) to pursue the gang. After torturing a mechanic for information, Max methodically hunts down the gang members: he forces several of them off a bridge at high speed, shoots Bubba at point blank range with his shotgun, and forces Toecutter into the path of a semi-trailer truck. Max finally finds Johnny, who is looting a car crash victim he presumably murdered for a pair of boots. In a cold, suppressed rage, Max handcuffs Johnny's ankle to the wrecked vehicle whilst Johnny begs for his life. Max ignores his begging and sets a crude time-delay fuse with a slow fuel leak and a lighter. Throwing Johnny a hacksaw, Max leaves him the choice of sawing through either the handcuffs (which will take ten minutes) or his ankle (which will take five minutes). Max casually drives away; as he clears the bridge, Johnny's vehicle explodes. Max continues driving into the darkness. Wikipedia
    Staring

Mel Gibson as: Max Rocktansky

Joanne Samuel as: Jessie

Hugh Keays-Byrne as: The Toecutter

Steve Bisley as : Jimmy the Goose

Also including:

Tim Burns ... Johnny the Boy
    Roger Ward ... Fifi
    Lisa Aldenhoven ... Nurse
    David Bracks ... Mudguts
    Bertrand Cadart ... Clunk
    David Cameron ... Underground Mechanic
    Robina Chaffey ... Singer
    Stephen Clark ... Sarse
    Mathew Constantine ... Toddler
    Jerry Day ... Ziggy
    Reg Evans

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    6,995 Posts
    As an Australian, I am ashamed of our movie industry. This is one of the few good ones though.
    Second one is pretty badass as well.

3. Post #3
    February 2012
    90 Posts
    As an Australia
    Edited:

I only ever watched the first one. Are the others worth it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,210 Posts
    I didn't like this one too much, to be honest. Mad Max 2 owns though!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    6,995 Posts
    Yeah the second one is much better imo.

Edited:

Haven't seen Beyond Thunderdome though, but I hear it's good.

Edited:

Haven't seen Beyond Thunderdome though, but I hear it's good.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,309 Posts
    Yea, I enjoyed the second one more than the first one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    May 2012
    184 Posts
    As an Australian, I am ashamed of our movie industry. This is one of the few good ones though.
    Second one is pretty badass as well.
    Galipoli was a great film. You gave the world Neighbours and Home and away, can't help you much there.

Thunderdome is a bad one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,203 Posts
    I watched the second one before I watched the first, but I thought they were pretty stand-alone movies. I don't recall any references in the second one about the first, except for the intro montage which if I remember correctly wasn't even in the Australian version, and the whole loneliness aspect of Max in the sequel after his wife's death.

I couldn't stand to watch all of Thunderdome, though. I turned it off after Max got rescued by those kids; my tolerance had finally run out.

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    December 2009
    3,302 Posts
    watched first one
    dope

watched second one
    even better

3 minutes into third one
    lol no fuck this

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    6,995 Posts
    Although my favourite Australian film is Two Hands

11. Post #11
    March 2012
    549 Posts
    Damn Mel gibson is unrecognizable in these

12. Post #12
    the fuck is this?
    November 2009
    7,218 Posts
    I often think of the Mad Max films as the Australian's Star Wars original trilogy.

First, you have Max, who loses everything (end of the first film), but then begins to make a name for himself (end of Road Warrior), and then regains his humanity (end of BT). That, and the fact that A) you have an awesome first movie B) a fucking amazing sequel, one of the best in its genre C) a second sequel that isn't as good as the first sequel, but pretty decent still (not to mention just like in ROTJ, it features the most unlikely of creatures assisting the main characters in taking down the establishment) in my opinion.

Mad Max - 7/10. It's almost more of a romance film, simply because it focuses on Max and his family trying to survive while the rest of the world is going to shit. Still a good beginning, also that scene at the end with the hacksaw inspired the entire Saw series (or at least the first movie).

The Road Warrior - 10/10. This is seriously one of the greatest sci-fi/post apocalyptic films of all time. As much as it is a sequel, it could be a standalone film as well (same goes for BT). The plot is simple, the action pieces are beautiful, and that ending always makes me go "Shit." I have to say, the one thing that always got me was the amount of people killed in this film. Although most of the characters were just thrown in there, I still felt sad that the entire highway chase was just a diversion (I totally wanted that chick in the football armor to live so she and Max could have a gratuitous love scene, lol).

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - 6/10. Probably considered by most to be the weakest entry in the series, (I only somewhat agree with it) this throws Max into several years of wandering, as evidenced by his long hair at the beginning of the film. But the real importance is that Max regains his humanity, which he lost with the death of his family. Although, I still wonder, who the hell thought it would be a good idea to put Tina Turner in this movie?! My one complaint is that the kids and the midget were just annoying. But, it's not the end, since we're supposed to be getting two more MM films.

13. Post #13
    January 2010
    3,550 Posts
    can someone explain how the first one is post-apocalyptic yet there's society and shit?

it's obvious that the second two are after nuclear war but the first one just seems like a standard action/drama

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,096 Posts
    can someone explain how the first one is post-apocalyptic yet there's society and shit?

it's obvious that the second two are after nuclear war but the first one just seems like a standard action/drama
    I don't think the first one is supposed to be post-apocalyptic. Its supposed to take place as society is crumbling. Part of it might've been budget restrictions though, the overall atmosphere doesn't really come off as the world being on the brink of collapse. The director even sacrificed his own van to shoot a crash scene.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,505 Posts
    Didn't like the first one so much.

Really like the second one.

Third one was Tina Turner.

16. Post #16
    December 2011
    1,683 Posts
    This sums up Mad Max quite nicely

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,997 Posts
    When I grow up I want to look like Fifi.