1. Post #1
    I AM GOING TO FUCK UP YOUR WALLET SO BADLY YOU'LL BE FEELING IT FOR WEEKS
    March 2007
    10,685 Posts

http://store.steampowered.com/news/8184/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Winner Winner x 7Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    January 2010
    5,139 Posts
    I hope more movies will be added to steam.

Imagine Steam with rentable or buyable movies. A man can dream...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,644 Posts
    Watching it right now. Really interesting insight so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,292 Posts

I wouldnt be surprised if they tried their hand at this in the future, they have the platform in place, and who wouldnt want to license their movies to a company that gets 2-5 million people a day visiting their store page?

5. Post #5
    I know I'm being very judgmental, but all I can imagine this is is a bunch of self-righteous, pretentious developers talking about how they're making art or something.

It's probably just because Phil Fish is an asshat. I like Edmund McMillen, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,735 Posts
    Just finished the movie, loved every second of it. Very insightful and informative, looking forward to rewatching with the commentary as well as going through all the extras.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,644 Posts
    I know I'm being very judgmental, but all I can imagine this is is a bunch of self-righteous, pretentious developers talking about how they're making art or something.

It's probably just because Phil Fish is an asshat. I like Edmund McMillen, though.
    It kinda is, but it's also a very personal movie. They actually adress how they handle criticism from gamers.

8. Post #8
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,936 Posts
    I really didn't think that I'd like this movie so much -- but man, this was extremely interesting and it's amazing to see the what the devs go through for a game.

If you are interested on what goes behind the scenes of "indie" games I really suggest you watch this movie. It's amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,359 Posts
    I really didn't think that I'd like this movie so much -- but man, this was extremely interesting and it's amazing to see the what the devs go through for a game.

If you are interested on what goes behind the scenes of "indie" games I really suggest you watch this movie. It's amazing.
    I don't know what's described in this movie but for all the indie devs I know the process is

1: Get really inspired and start working a lot
    2: Get super lazy for a couple years and not work on it
    3: Work on it some more and release it saying "Been in development for THREE YEARS!"

I know they don't all do that but it's funny how often it does happen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    October 2010
    11,814 Posts
    I really liked the movie, definitely worth about $10

11. Post #11
    June 2010
    239 Posts

No it's not.

All the developers in the movie have worked their fucking asses off on whatever it is they are talking about and have actually achieved things. They also don't hold their own works in super high regards and most definitely aren't pretentious. I thought Phil Fish was sort of an ass hat at first but after watching this movie it's kinda hard to hold a big grudge against him, he works so hard on Fez it's not even funny. Literally slaves over the fucking thing.

Edited:

I don't know what's described in this movie but for all the indie devs I know the process is

1: Get really inspired and start working a lot
    2: Get super lazy for a couple years and not work on it
    3: Work on it some more and release it saying "Been in development for THREE YEARS!"

I know they don't all do that but it's funny how often it does happen
    Examples or fuck off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    very good movie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,359 Posts
    No it's not.

All the developers in the movie have worked their fucking asses off on whatever it is they are talking about and have actually achieved things. They also don't hold their own works in super high regards and most definitely aren't pretentious. I thought Phil Fish was sort of an ass hat at first but after watching this movie it's kinda hard to hold a big grudge against him, he works so hard on Fez it's not even funny. Literally slaves over the fucking thing.

Edited:

Examples or fuck off.
    I haven't seen many games that get immensely popular that I'm sure have done it. Most of the ones I've seen are sort of crappy projects on game development communities. Say what you want, but these types of small unheard projects are the majority of indie games so I don't discount them.

If I had to take a guess at one I would definitely say that Fez did. The art style isn't time consuming to do, the game does not have complicated mechanics, and it's not that long.

The only possible way I can see that it took anywhere near six years to develop is if Phil had never developed a game before and had to learn the process completely while making it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    June 2010
    239 Posts
    I haven't seen many games that get immensely popular that I'm sure have done it. Most of the ones I've seen are sort of crappy projects on game development communities. Say what you want, but these types of small unheard projects are the majority of indie games so I don't discount them.

If I had to take a guess at one I would definitely say that Fez did. The art style isn't time consuming to do, the game does not have complicated mechanics, and it's not that long.

The only possible way I can see that it took anywhere near six years to develop is if Phil had never developed a game before and had to learn the process completely while making it.
    Well yes I am sure that small unheard of projects take a while, most of the time that's because they are made in the developers spare time as a hobby. As far as Fez goes, there is no way Phil Fish got lazy. I would highly recommend watching the movie if you think so, Phil Fish goes through massive amounts of personal and emotional shit to get that game made. Whether or not people want to acknowledge that is their choice, but it doesn't change that it is entirely true.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,359 Posts
    Well yes I am sure that small unheard of projects take a while, most of the time that's because they are made in the developers spare time as a hobby. As far as Fez goes, there is no way Phil Fish got lazy. I would highly recommend watching the movie if you think so, Phil Fish goes through massive amounts of personal and emotional shit to get that game made. Whether or not people want to acknowledge that is their choice, but it doesn't change that it is entirely true.
    In terms of actual development time, a game like Fez should not take anywhere near that amount of time in the hands of a somewhat experienced developer.

If you actually sat down and worked on a game like that on a consistent, regular basis then it should not take anywhere near six years. Not even close.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Doomed Game Psychic
    January 2005
    1,977 Posts

Agreed. I looked up movie services for like my kindle and such and was so pissed to find I was buying the right to stream the movie for a certain amount of days. Steam is a convenient stream/download it any time thing.

That being said, I don't really like this movie in specific. I just hope it opens up the possibility of other movies.

17. Post #17
    October 2010
    11,814 Posts

According to the movie Fez was actually completely redone three times if I remember correctly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    September 2011
    5,337 Posts

With Braid being all artsy and ~deep~, I would probably expect Jon Blow to be similar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

19. Post #19
    June 2010
    239 Posts
    In terms of actual development time, a game like Fez should not take anywhere near that amount of time in the hands of a somewhat experienced developer.

If you actually sat down and worked on a game like that on a consistent, regular basis then it should not take anywhere near six years. Not even close.
    He restarded the project numerous times (I think like 3 or 4 times he started from scratch), as he developed the game he got better at things like pixel art and such so he went back to the pixel art he made at the beginning and redid all of it so the quality would be consistent. He made it so all the structures in the game were composed of tetris like shapes, etc etc. Phil Fish is a perfectionist kind of developer, just watch the movie and you'll understand. Whether or not you notice these details doesn't matter, because he does and therefore he will put the time in to make it perfect.

Phil Fish himself admits that he underestimated the size of the project numerous times which is why he restarted it so much.

Edited:

With Braid being all artsy and ~deep~, I would probably expect Jon Blow to be similar.
    People can make fun of Jon Blow all they want, it doesn't change the fact that he is a really really smart developer and Braid is a really really smart game. Jon Blow speaks really philosophically throughout the film a lot but it's not in a way of self praise, you will never here him compliment Braid ever or himself. Just because he takes the games he makes seriously doesn't mean he's some "pretentious developer". Games are what he spends his life doing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,337 Posts

Yeah. and make a Humble Indie Movie Bundle.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,488 Posts
    It's a pretty good movie. Shows a side of indie game development a few see and kinda makes you empathize a bit with them instead of thinking all of them are pretentious douches.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,966 Posts
    I just watched it, it's really good.

23. Post #23
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,447 Posts
    Meller Yeller, shut up and just watch the movie. You have no idea what you're talking about.

It was a great movie that brings up many good points.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,966 Posts
    Well, at least he's consistent.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    17,393 Posts
    Phil Fish should be laughed out of the gaming industry to be perfectly frank. That or he should just work on the fucking games instead of trying to be some kind of figurehead when he's a puerile asshat. No business needs that kind of bad publicity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)