1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    Never done this before, well at least not like what I've seen some people do like go to abandoned hospitals and shit. I've only been in 2 houses and an old factory that burnt down. Anyway back to the topic, what do I need and what kind of precautions should I take? Also what are the risks of getting caught? I have some nice bright handheld spotlights, some regular flashlights, I've got a couple knives, I have gloves, goggles, anything else I need? There aren't too many abandoned places near where I live but there are some about an hour or 2 away. I live in Texas in the HEB area.

2. Post #2
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    fucks sake, is this asked every day or something
    right here we go

no knives
    no pens
    no spraypaint
    no anything that could get you lifted, not even a swiss army knife

take a camera, take a tripod. take some water and a torch. make sure you have a sturdy backpack and throw a pair of gloves in there. take a hoodie incase it gets cold and make sure you charge your phone, you never know what could happen.

tell someone you trust where you're going, it helps them find your body quicker

if you think a risk isn't worth taking, don't take it.

and for the love of fuck, keep your eyes peeled. you never know if there will be a hole in the floor or suchlike.

the risks of getting caught are slim, just don't waltz past the security cabin and you will be fine.
    if the police turn up just say you're taking photos, be polite, offer to leave and don't be a smartarse because they will arrest you for any trouble you cause.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    fucks sake, is this asked every day or something
    right here we go

no knives
    no pens
    no spraypaint
    no anything that could get you lifted, not even a swiss army knife

take a camera, take a tripod. take some water and a torch. make sure you have a sturdy backpack and throw a pair of gloves in there. take a hoodie incase it gets cold and make sure you charge your phone, you never know what could happen.

if you think a risk isn't worth taking, don't take it.

and for the love of fuck, keep your eyes peeled. you never know if there will be a hole in the floor or suchlike.

the risks of getting caught are slim, just don't waltz past the security cabin and you will be fine.
    if the police turn up just say you're taking photos, be polite, offer to leave and don't be a smartarse because they will arrest you for any trouble you cause.
    Alright thanks for the tips, I will buy a resperator though just for the fact that I don't want to deal with asbestos.

4. Post #4
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    Alright thanks for the tips, I will buy a resperator though just for the fact that I don't want to deal with asbestos.
    will do fuck all.

if you come in contact with enough asbestos to inhale it (i.e. you disturb it) you will get it on your clothes so as soon as you take your mask off and take your clothes off you will breathe it off your clothing.

just don't go smacking ceiling tiles in and you'll be good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    that's not to suggest one's not worth wearing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    6,563 Posts
    Dont wear converse or vans. I ripped my converse climbing over some brick.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    I planned on wearing my bates combat boots, things are fucking amazing for when I play airsoft, and I can techincally explore this old FAA bulding where I play airsoft at, thing was abandoned 30 years ago and burned down partway, I can go there any saturday I please before games start.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    I planned on wearing my bates combat boots, things are fucking amazing for when I play airsoft, and I can techincally explore this old FAA bulding where I play airsoft at, thing was abandoned 30 years ago and burned down partway, I can go there any saturday I please before games start.
    prolly a good idea
    and whilst it's in my head, mask might help with pigeon shit.

nothing like trodding on pigeon skeletons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    Are most places guarded with security? And where is the american brick factory? I tried looking for it but I cant find it.

10. Post #10
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    Are most places guarded with security? And where is the american brick factory? I tried looking for it but I cant find it.
    depends how epic a derp it is

if it's a building rotting to fuck, do you think the owner will pay for a guard to sit on his arse all day?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2012
    7 Posts
    I like the optimism in this thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    6,563 Posts
    Its usually a good idea to take a friend, just incase. Some guy in a thread said that someone outside of where you are should know, I think in theory that is a brilliant idea but I dont know your parents (or maybe its just me) wouldnt want you going ubexing. If you live by yourself then you should be fine.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    Yeah I'm only 15 and I wouldn't tell my parents unless they asked, I've got a couple of friends I could take with me or tell them where I'm going. I really want to find that america brick factory though, that would be awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    6,563 Posts
    Yeah I'm only 15 and I wouldn't tell my parents unless they asked, I've got a couple of friends I could take with me or tell them where I'm going. I really want to find that america brick factory though, that would be awesome.
    Im 14 and I have a few friends who would go urbexing with me, good luck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    February 2010
    282 Posts
    You kids wanna see a dead body?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

16. Post #16
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,776 Posts
    I guess this fits in this thread

If I want to explore an old hospital and there's a small chance there might be some infected material from ages ago, what should I bring?

17. Post #17
    I guess this fits in this thread

If I want to explore an old hospital and there's a small chance there might be some infected material from ages ago, what should I bring?
    I would wear gloves and some boots maybe long pants too, you don't want anything that's sticking out slicing you in the legs or your feet. Unless it was abandon decades ago i think they would have removed most of the dangerous chemicals or waste but who knows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,776 Posts
    Would it be wise to bring a respirator of some sort? Something to filter out any possible contaminated air? I know it's making a mountain out of a molehill but I don't want some airbourne shit getting in to my lungs, whether it be dust, asbestos or infection.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,578 Posts
    Would it be wise to bring a respirator of some sort? Something to filter out any possible contaminated air? I know it's making a mountain out of a molehill but I don't want some airbourne shit getting in to my lungs, whether it be dust, asbestos or infection.
    I really really doubt any airborne phatogens are still there. That stuff doesnt survive out in the open for long.

Only real concern should be closed containers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    6,563 Posts
    I don't want some airbourne shit getting in to my lungs, whether it be dust, asbestos or infection.
    I got whooping cough from breathing in a room full of mould, it was a pain becuase I have asthma, i recomend bringing something to cover your mouth and nose, even if its just a scarf.