1. Post #1
    March 2012
    38 Posts
    I am finally changing from the dark side and switching from iOS to android next thursday. I'm really looking forward to buying the Galaxy S3 and would really love some tips and tricks if you can provide any. I also have some questions:

How decent is the 8MP camera - Heard so many different reviews?

Is there a way to "jailbreak" it like you would the iOS?

What kind of things should I get for it that are extremely useful?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,133 Posts
    I have a Galaxy S2 but I can still answer those questions as best I can.

The camera as far as I know is basically the same as on the S2 and it is a great camera. Wouldn't replace a professional camera but for a phone camera it is pretty amazing. Can record 1080p and just overall is pretty great.

You don't need to jailbreak the phone. In the settings menu you just enable 3rd party apps and you can do everything you would from jailbreaking.
    But besides that you may want to root your phone and install things such as Cyanogen which adds many things and can improve battery life.

In terms of useful things, it would depend what you want to do.
    Games are good for journeys. A new music app, I would recommend PowerAmp. There are a few camera apps also.
    Some good useful things such as Torch and EverNote can be quite handy.

Hope that helps. I didn't really explain the jailbreak that well, not too sure on some of the terminology but I gave it my best ha, if you have any other questions I can try answer as best I can
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    I am finally changing from the dark side and switching from iOS to android next thursday. I'm really looking forward to buying the Galaxy S3 and would really love some tips and tricks if you can provide any. I also have some questions:How decent is the 8MP camera - Heard so many different reviews?Is there a way to "jailbreak" it like you would the iOS?What kind of things should I get for it that are extremely useful?
    8MP camera: On par or better than iPhone 4S."Jailbreak" is hilariously easy. For just sideloading apps, it's just a tickbox in the settings. For deeper stuff you just run a program that will flash a recovery to let you run unsigned software, and then flash custom ROMs.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,297 Posts
    I'm also getting the S3 in a week or so.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...ers_here_is_my

My personal favorites:

QuickPic - better gallery app.
    Opera or Google Chrome - after using either of these, you will not go back to stock browser
    Dropbox - self explanatory
    Unified Remote - Control your PC from phone. Very easy to setup and use.
    Widgetsoid - Power controls with lots of features. Probably wouldn't need it on the S3.
    Evernote - Great universal note taking app.
    SoundHound - find music by listening to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    March 2010
    1,464 Posts
    The camera on this phone is fantastic, here's a few shots I took in college last week for you to look at.

Panorama on the stock app, a bit blurry because people were moving. But still gives you an idea.

Me setting levels on a mixing desk. Capturing pictures in 1080p is handy, and this photo was used for evidence for an assessment.

6. Post #6
    CP doesn't necessarily have to have a victim, it's just that 99.9% of the time it does. The thing with pedos is that they've been demonized to be horrible no matter what, and I don't think that's the case.
    April 2006
    16,101 Posts
    the s3 and the 4s have the same camera sensor

Edited:

also jailbreaking is an iphone thing that doesnt have an android equivalent since android already lets you install unsigned apps and gives apps more freedom. rooting your phone lets you do a handful of kinda useful things that are fringe case sperg bullshit. you can also install custom firmwares like miui or cyanogen but rooting and custom firmwares are not the same thing and are not something you should bother with if you purchased a phone that isn't complete shit

7. Post #7
    March 2012
    38 Posts
    Thanks Scotti, GunskiMod and Over-Run. The information was clear and informative. I was completely unaware of the panorama feature and I am now more excited to get the phone. Also, thanks for the information about apps to get for it.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,914 Posts
    I'm also getting the S3 in a week or so.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...ers_here_is_my

My personal favorites:

QuickPic - better gallery app.
    Opera or Google Chrome - after using either of these, you will not go back to stock browser
    Dropbox - self explanatory
    Unified Remote - Control your PC from phone. Very easy to setup and use.
    Widgetsoid - Power controls with lots of features. Probably wouldn't need it on the S3.
    Evernote - Great universal note taking app.
    SoundHound - find music by listening to it.
    wow, unified remote is actually pretty cool. thanks for posting that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,297 Posts
    You're welcome. Ever since I found out about it I've been using it to watch movies from my PC.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    862 Posts
    I own both the S2 and S3 and I can tell you that the camera on the S3 is better, when recording 1080p, the S2 sort of ''zooms in'' a little bit unlike the S3, also if you decide to root your S3 (Which I have) there is a mod available for better camera modes and a higher bitrate for both video and audio, soon to have 60frames per second.

As far as I know this is the best camera i've ever seen on a phone, the video quality is stunning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJptU...eature=related

As far as 'jailbreaking' goes, you can root it, its very very easy and probably done in under 1 minute.

A good tip from me would be disabling the double-click homebutton that opens s-voice, it is much faster if you disable s-voice that way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    CP doesn't necessarily have to have a victim, it's just that 99.9% of the time it does. The thing with pedos is that they've been demonized to be horrible no matter what, and I don't think that's the case.
    April 2006
    16,101 Posts
    rooting is not the same as jailbreaking you morans!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,086 Posts
    rooting is not the same as jailbreaking you morans!!!!!
    but no it ISNT u get customizashen out of the bocks with andriode

Edited:

No really it is though, jailbreaking is just the 3rd party app option and root access in one sweep
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    April 2006
    16,101 Posts
    yes because there is a rooted app store with tons of wonderful features that actually modify your phone and change the user experience beyond removing carrier bloatware

14. Post #14
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    yes because there is a rooted app store with tons of wonderful features that actually modify your phone and change the user experience beyond removing carrier bloatware
    Root can let you do that, what's your point again?

15. Post #15
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,446 Posts
    Is there a "google play" for root required apps? O.o

16. Post #16
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,933 Posts
    Is there a "google play" for root required apps? O.o
    you can actually download and install root apps off Google Play, just type in root and you will get a bunch. Now for the whole "aquire apps", a simple Google Search will go a long way.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,464 Posts
    Root can let you do that, what's your point again?
    The point he is trying to make is that Jailbreaking and Rooting are not the same things because Android can already do all the things natively that the iPhone needs jailbreaks for with the exception of removing apps.

18. Post #18
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,446 Posts
    you can actually download and install root apps off Google Play, just type in root and you will get a bunch. Now for the whole "aquire apps", a simple Google Search will go a long way.
    Ya, I know that (thanks anyways :) ), but I was refereeing to this: