1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,228 Posts
    People dislike her because she's a bad writer, and people would have disliked her writing even if she was a man.
    Tbh people only started attacking her when it was revealed she doesn't enjoy playing videogames. She is not the only writer who worked on the Dragon Age series.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,266 Posts
    wait and distorted images of men don't ...?
    Yes they do that too. But instead of making them sex appeal they make them an appeal to a man's ego.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

3. Post #83
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,114 Posts
    While I do find this attitude towards the woman disgusting, and I think it is bad that the people have reacted in such a way. I can't shake this feeling that it got majority of funding because of men saying "I DON'T WANT TO BE SEXIST SO I MUST FUND"

I didn't fund because she's a bad video maker, and I highly suggest all those who consider backing to perhaps checking out her other videos on youtube. If someone who wasn't going to show obvious bias was to make a documentary video series on this I would applaud it, and would back it. But alas tis not the case.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,784 Posts
    That wasn't my question. My question was: "How many fucking women do you know that play Gears of War because Dom is so sexy it hurts?"

It's about design, not what happens once it's in the wild.
    I don't know about you, but I don't anyone who plays a game because a character in is sexually appealing, and that applies to men and women I know as well as men and women in games.

Generally the sex appeal, at least for me and for people I know, is just an aside thing. Like for example, I love the Tomb Raider games (well, up to TR 4 really; they kinda went downhill after that in my opinion). Is Lara Croft a sex symbol? No fucking doubt about it. Is that why I play the games, though? No, I play the games because they're fun shooters with entertaining stories.

Again, at least for me and the people I know, the sex of characters isn't really important. The characters could be cardboard boxes with lips and googly eyes for all I care - I play for gameplay and story.

Obviously I don't speak for all men out there, and the small sample of people I know is not representative of the whole. As far as I know, though - and I won't pretend this means anything - there aren't many men who play games solely for the sex appeal.

And there's an obvious exception for sex games implied in that statement, before anyone brings those up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,937 Posts
    See, that's a problem. More women play video games than men now with the rise of casual and mobile games, and yet the industry still panders to adolescent male fantasy at the expense of women.
    That's because those games aren't casual or mobile games. They're bigger games which usually appeal to a more male demographic.

"At the expense of women"? It's not like you're wasting women here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

6. Post #86
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    I'm not denying that there is a gender imbalance in video games, but we don't need to give $110,443 to a woman to make a 5 hour documentary re-iterating that:

then don't donate.

Clearly a lot of people want to see this.

What the fuck is your problem with that? People can only give a shit about the issues you give a shit about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

7. Post #87
    May 2011
    392 Posts
    I wouldn't call that sexualized. I mean, she was definitely made more attractive but just because she doesn't look like an ape anymore it doesn't mean it's for sex appeal. I mean, you barely ever see her in game anyway.

Besides, she got many hours of beauty sleep between the games
    Last time I checked not wearing makeup and the absence of a tank top putting your tits on display =/= looking like an ape, unless you were specifically referring to the awkward arm positioning..

Remind me why it's a requirement that every woman needs to look like a model?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    Sold in North America. Does count.

You do know what localization is, right?
    Localization is only supposed to translate. This is not Germany where all "wrong" things get censored.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

9. Post #89
    June 2010
    4,438 Posts
    See, that's a problem. More women play video games than men now with the rise of casual and mobile games, and yet the industry still panders to adolescent male fantasy at the expense of women.
    not in the games men play vs the games women play (statistically). and there you go, you just basically said women play casual games. so right there you just thought like a businessman for that split second of typing that sentence. and yet you can't really understand when publishers want developers to create sexy females and beefy males (gay) to sell their games?

this is seriously advertising 101, which is the core of this "problem" of objectifying human beings of both gender. not video games. not movies. not books. not fiction.

im not ignoring the problem im just pointing you towards the source of the problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #90
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,969 Posts
    So as soon as it stops being profitable to put sexy women in games, developers will stop. This will happen fairly soon because, as you say, the gender imbalance is shifting. In which case why do we need a 5 hour documentary?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,594 Posts
    If I think of insults for women I can probably fill an entire page.

Insults for men? A few, but next to none in comparison.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    That's because those games aren't casual or mobile games. They're bigger games which usually appeal to a more male demographic.
    And why?

There's more female consumers in the industry than male consumers now. More women are buying games than men, so why are the "real" games targeted solely toward men? Why is this industry still one big phallocracy?

Edited:

So as soon as it stops being profitable to put sexy women in games, developers will stop. This will happen fairly soon because, as you say, the gender imbalance is shifting. In which case why do we need a 5 hour documentary?
    Again, why do you care what other people do with their money?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,058 Posts
    "We want this to appeal to a male 15-20 year old demographic, which is what we believe the core demographic is"

That's the reason for every single female character in every video game ever.
    Did anyone here ever actually buy a game because of the sexy ladies in it?
    I am not buying Tera because of how women are portrayed. It's immature and kinda gross. There's a time for boobs and ass, but that time is not when I am playing video games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,937 Posts
    Tbh people only started attacking her when it was revealed she doesn't enjoy playing videogames.
    People would have disliked her writing regardless, but yeah, the personal attacks have to to more with her as a person. A man who wrote like her and said the same things would be just as hated though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #95
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,911 Posts
    Please describe the personality of Bayonetta.
    Oh wait, you can't, she has none (apart from "acting sexy")
    didn't play it, wouldn't know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,969 Posts
    then don't donate.

Clearly a lot of people want to see this.

What the fuck is your problem with that? People can only give a shit about the issues you give a shit about?
    I just feel that maybe the $110,443 being used to say "Breaking news: Sex sells" could be better spent on, say, charities that do actual good?

Y'know, instead of wasting it on some person making a documentary.

What exactly is she going to spend $110,442 on anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

17. Post #97
    And why?

There's more female consumers in the industry than male consumers now. More women are buying games than men, so why are the "real" games targeted solely toward men?
    Because games that are played by men include not only titties but also gore, shooting and other crap. If a woman likes that, she shouldn't have a problem with some virtual titty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events

18. Post #98
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Did anyone here ever actually buy a game because of the sexy ladies in it?
    You people keep saying this as though you're unaware of how effective sex is in appealing to male demographics.

Why the fuck would it still be happening if it weren't effective?

Edited:

People would have disliked her writing regardless, but yeah, the personal attacks have to to more with her as a person. A man who wrote like her and said the same things would be just as hated though.
    FYI she didn't say she "doesn't enjoy games," she said she has a family now and doesn't have the time to enjoy games as much as she used to.

So tell me again about how everyone would hate a man just as much if he didn't have the time to play games because he had given birth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,937 Posts
    Last time I checked not wearing makeup and the absence of a tank top putting your tits on display =/= looking like an ape, unless you were specifically referring to the awkward arm positioning..

Well, I was mostly referring to the butt-ugly face she had in the first game. I'm not saying they have to be attractive but it sure makes the game look nicer.

They made everything else in the game look nicer, so why not the main character?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,693 Posts
    This is dumb. It makes sense that women are portrayed as sex fantasies and men are portrayed as power fantasies because these games were written by straight men, most games are written by straight men. If they want women to be portrayed as non-sexual characters in games these people should make games portraying women as non-sexual characters instead of complaining about what other, more successful people have done.

They're not fixing the problem, they're asking someone to fix the problem
    Which can also fix the problem, you know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #101
    Women who don't like Bayonetta could always play Devil May Cry. Dante's some steamy piece of man. And the new DMC5 has this "mysterious" emo Dante which teen girls seem to be into, aka twilight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny Funny x 22Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,937 Posts
    FYI she didn't say she "doesn't enjoy games," she said she has a family now and doesn't have the time to enjoy games as much as she used to.
    She suggested being able to skip the gameplay in games and only play the dialogue parts. People hate that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,058 Posts
    You people keep saying this as though you're unaware of how effective sex is in appealing to male demographics.

Yo, I totally agree with you.
    What I was trying to say, is that people don't do this shit for money, they do it because they're not thinking.
    I might be wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

24. Post #104
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,969 Posts
    I have the same problem with spending $110,442 on a documentary that won't do anything that I do with spending several million dollars on a charity that won't do anything *COUGH*Kony 2012*COUGH*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #105
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    I just feel that maybe the $110,443 being used to say "Breaking news: Sex sells" could be better spent on, say, charities that do actual good?

Why don't you cancel your internet service and donate that money to charity?

You clearly aren't accomplishing all that much here right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,787 Posts
    Women get offended for fictional women being portrayed as sexy?
    No big boobs argument, Gow guys have huge muscles
    It's not about looking attractive, most women want female videogame heroes to be attractive, like guys prefer muscled dudes.

It's a matter of treating them like objects and having them there as scenery, only portraying attractive women, or doing ridiculous things like wear skimpy clothes in a warzone, something no real woman would do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,594 Posts

Informing people about the wrongs and dangerous of sexism and how to combat it isn't "good"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #108
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    I have the same problem with spending $110,442 on a documentary that won't do anything that I do with spending several million dollars on a charity that won't do anything *COUGH*Kony 2012*COUGH*
    Cancel all of your luxury services and donate that money to god damn charity if you're going to pull that bullshit argument.

Sell all of your shit and live on bare necessities, because that's what you're going to have to do to not be a fucking hypocrite with bullshit like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

29. Post #109
    August 2005
    6,784 Posts

Because it's not detrimental to sales?

Honestly, the only reason to stop something is if it is detrimental. If it has no effect or a positive effect, then what sense is there in stopping it?

I won't argue that sex appeal is put in as a selling point, but I don't think it's that big of a selling point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

30. Post #110
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,969 Posts

So tell me again about how everyone would hate a man just as much if he didn't have the time to play games because he had given birth.
    Jesus, i'm sorry but we don't hate her just because she's a woman. As much as you fucking want us to be sexist arseholes, we're not. We dislike her for what she's saying, not because of the fact that she's a woman.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 26Dumb x 3Disagree x 1Winner x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,282 Posts
    Informing people about the wrongs and dangerous of sexism and how to combat it isn't "good"?
    You don't need that much money to make a documentary about that. And even if you did its not like sexism in videogames is our biggest problem.

32. Post #112
    August 2005
    6,784 Posts
    Also this thread is moving so damn fast fuck.

Case in point. I posted this maybe 5 seconds after my previous post.

33. Post #113
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    She suggested being able to skip the gameplay in games and only play the dialogue parts. People hate that.
    Those people can fuck right off. That is the flimsiest excuse to spew misogynistic bullshit that I have ever fucking heard.

Edited:

Jesus, i'm sorry but we don't hate her just because she's a woman. As much as you fucking want us to be sexist arseholes, we're not. We dislike her for what she's saying, not because of the fact that she's a woman.
    You don't even fucking know what she said. You joined a god damn sexist bandwagon to assail a woman who said "I'm busy with family life, don't have much free time, and it'd be cool if I could have an option to skip stuff here and there to get back to the parts of the game that I enjoy"

I don't recall anyone getting called a whore when LA Noire did the EXACT SAME THING.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 10 (list)

34. Post #114
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,058 Posts
    You don't need that much money to make a documentary about that. And even if you did its not like sexism in videogames is our biggest problem.
    So we can only donate to one cause that is universally agreed upon to be "our biggest problem"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,594 Posts
    You clearly haven't read the RPS article.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,937 Posts
    And why?

There's more female consumers in the industry than male consumers now. More women are buying games than men, so why are the "real" games targeted solely toward men? Why is this industry still one big phallocracy?

Edited:

Again, why do you care what other people do with their money?
    Because these games usually are about things that are traditionally regarded as more masculine things. Shooting, hunting, violence and such generally appeals to a male demographic more than it appeals to a female. As these games typically appeal to men more than to women they often add in other things that are attractive to the majority of their target audience, such as attractive women, for example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

37. Post #117
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,911 Posts
    I doubt video games are the reason women are being treated like shit.
    Plus, I don't see how game designers can win. They make a fully developed female character with human qualities, putting any sort of sex appeal in the very back of their minds, and design her, they'll either be accused of promoting sex appeal or attempting to subvert it. Whether a woman is attractive or not is subjective.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

38. Post #118
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,969 Posts
    Those people can fuck right off. That is the flimsiest excuse to spew misogynistic bullshit that I have ever fucking heard.

Edited:

You don't even fucking know what she said.
    Lankist.

Calm the fuck down.

Please, we can discuss this in a rational way without you just throwing out insults every 5 minutes about how we're all cunts for not agreeing with you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 36Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,228 Posts
    What parts of the writing in DA:O and DAII were bad, out of curiosity? Haven't played it myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,446 Posts

She had a disproportionally huge head
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)