1. Post #1561
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    4,418 Posts
    Social changes start with small things and work their way up, not the other way around.
    It does not work that way. Creativity is inspired by the life around the artist and is based on the previous installments. Trying to enforce rules upon any form of creative work will not do. Doing so will only result in sparking ridicules.

'The system was always broken so we should never try to fix this'
    And that's not what I'm trying to say, at all. What I'm saying is it will "fix" itself, as in it will bring itself to reflect the modern world more precisely. It is already happening, gradually. But trying to speed it up a bit will only turn into farce. Feminism - or whatever people are going to call it, will just be ridiculed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

2. Post #1562
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    have you ever played a game or seen a movie where the guy was the weak one being held captive while the woman was the strong one, rescuing him?
       Super Meat Boy   
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAOVxpVT6hA

Regardless... I can't think of that many games these days anymore that still have damsels in distress :S
    Aside from Mario, I can't think of many. One might think of Zelda, but she has also frequently broke that stereotype by for example being the leader of a Pirate crew bossing you around (Tetra) or by doubling as the mysterious masked person that helps you (Sheik).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #1563
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    4,418 Posts
    snip, broken merge.

4. Post #1564
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,891 Posts
    A kickstarter to raise funds to end video game sexism?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

5. Post #1565
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    A kickstarter to raise funds to end video game sexism?
    Why stop there, why not a kickstarter to raise funds to stop teen pregnancy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

6. Post #1566
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,044 Posts
       Super Meat Boy   
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAOVxpVT6hA

Regardless... I can't think of that many games these days anymore that still have damsels in distress :S
    Aside from Mario, I can't think of many. One might think of Zelda, but she has also frequently broke that stereotype by for example being the leader of a Pirate crew bossing you around (Tetra) or by doubling as the mysterious masked person that helps you (Sheik).
    Ico.
    Shadow Of The Colossus.
    The Darkness.
    Limbo.

Just from the top of my head
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #1567
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    Ico.
    Shadow Of The Colossus.
    The Darkness.
    Limbo.

Just from the top of my head
    Oh. Haven't played any of them

Edited:

I've seen Limbo however, although I've never thought of the sister as a damsel in distress.
    Technically yes, but I don't think she's portrayed as a weak woman love interest rather than as a small girl that's also your sister.

Edited:

Then again, if she is, that would make the protagonist's daughter in Dead Rising 2 a damsel in distress too.

Edited:

Also wasn't the plot in one of the silent hill games that the protagonist is trying to find his missing daughter?
    Hmm... I guess that would make her a damsel in distress too, but I don't see how that's sexist rather than just a father trying to save someone he loves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #1568
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,044 Posts
    the protagonist in limbo is a kid as well
    the protagonist in silent hill and dead rising is an adult
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #1569
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    Riiight... so umm...
    I have issues seeing family members as sexist damsels in distress :S

Edited:

Can't say much about the other games you mentioned though since I've never played them or seen them played much
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #1570
    July 2011
    214 Posts
    I think that's going far off topic with something like Limbo. Unless you think fuzzy silhouettes are sexual objects or whatever, how could that really apply to Limbo? The protagonist's sister is trapped in Limbo and you are trying to save her (and yourself) from the place. The end is no more than a heartwarming reunion between two shadows.

I don't see it being considered a damsel in distress kind of game because it doesn't have the same implications as something like Zelda or Mario or whatever, where those character's are generally portrayed as weak.

Limbo is supposed to feel like you are barely gripping to survival as you search for your half-dead sister.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

11. Post #1571
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    In Heart of Darkness you're a small boy that jumps on a spaceship to rescue his dog that was kidnapped by the shadowlord, would the dog be an example of a male damsel in distress ?

12. Post #1572
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,488 Posts
    if lankist brings up that that kickstarter/indiegogo is making less money than the misogyny one I will facepalm.

Edited:

In Heart of Darkness you're a small boy that jumps on a spaceship to rescue his dog that was kidnapped by the shadowlord, would the dog be an example of a male damsel in distress ?
    no, it would be an example of a mcguffin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #1573
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,044 Posts
    I can see your point, but it's always the brother rescuing the sister, never the other way around.

Edited:

yo, the dog ain't human.
    unless you meant dogg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #1574
    How about mansel in distress? Replace princess with prince. The protagonist can stay a guy. Support gay rights yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

15. Post #1575
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,044 Posts
    that's cool.
    i'd like to see that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

16. Post #1576
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    I can see your point, but it's always the brother rescuing the sister, never the other way around.

Edited:

yo, the dog ain't human.
    unless you meant dogg.
    Nope, although it is wearing a hat, just like a human.

17. Post #1577
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,044 Posts
    bummer

18. Post #1578
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,488 Posts
    guys get incapped 3x more than girls in l4d and l4d2

omfg misandry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

19. Post #1579
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,044 Posts
    aren't there 3 times as many guys?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #1580
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,488 Posts
    aren't there 3 times as many guys?
    (exactly my point, so guys get incapped 3x more often, hence they need to be rescued 3x more often xP)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

21. Post #1581
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    I'm going over to TV tropes to see if I can see any male examples of damsels in distress.
    Pray for me guys, there's no telling if I'll ever make it back.

22. Post #1582
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    4,418 Posts

23. Post #1583
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    Hmm... Luigi's mansion comes to mind where the whole plot is that Mario's gone missing in the haunted house and has ended up trapped inside a painting... then again, Mario is Luigi's brother... so again it's the whole family situation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #1584
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    4,418 Posts
    I just have TVtropes open as a separate tab. That ensures my safety from surfing it days on end.

Edit:
    god damn it, stop breaking my automerge.

25. Post #1585
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    You're one to talk

26. Post #1586
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,488 Posts
    Hmm... Luigi's mansion comes to mind where the whole plot is that Mario's gone missing in the haunted house and has ended up trapped inside a painting... then again, Mario is Luigi's brother... so again it's the whole family situation.
    CoD4 has plenty of "dude in distress" situations (and one "damsel in distress")

but yeah.

Griggs in the Russian house, etc.

MW3 continues the misogyny with the russian president's daughter, but by and far the series is more about "dudes in distress"

27. Post #1587
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,044 Posts
    the point isn't that dudes aren't in distress, but that it's never the women who save them. it's pretty much always other dudes.

28. Post #1588
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,488 Posts
    the point isn't that dudes aren't in distress, but that it's never the women who save them. it's pretty much always other dudes.
    then bf2 subverts that in the MEC faction

because it's the ladies up top in the command centers that call in arty, supply drops, etc that support the male ground infantry.

29. Post #1589
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    4,418 Posts
    MW3 continues the misogyny with the russian president's daughter, but by and far the series is more about "dudes in distress"
    Wait, are you really saying that in the series, where mostly dudes are "in distress", occasional women in this role is still a misogyny? This makes "Green-monster-which-is-not-human-and-don't-have-gender in distress" sound like the only way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #1590
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,270 Posts
    http://www.indiegogo.com/misandryinvideogames
    Relevant.

perks posted:
    $3,300,000
    3.3 Million

Your very own hipster Lumberjack. One or more of the cast will personally fly out to see you, dressed as lumberjacks. Fun (almost) guaranteed to ensue!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #1591
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    Well, there's the Super Princess Peach game where princess Peach has to rescue Mario and Luigi

I also think the plot in Monkey Island 2 has you rescued by the damsel in distress too, who for the record does not at all need much help at all to be rescued by you, in fact, you tend to mess up her plans with your attempts to save her.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #1592
    thread killa
    May 2010
    960 Posts
    She still got demoted back to damsel status in both those games, though in Ocarina she at least provided fire support during the final boss.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #1593
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,488 Posts
    Wait, are you really saying that in the series, where mostly dudes are "in distress", occasional women in this role is still a misogyny? This makes "Green-monster-which-is-not-human-and-don't-have-gender in distress" sound like the only way.
    if you consider the dialogue that discusses said women in said role, yes it is (for the russian president's daughter, not the downed heli pilot in cod4)

34. Post #1594
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    As for movies... Saving private Ryan maybe?
    Although he isn't being saved by women though...

Edited:

She still got demoted back to damsel status in both those games, though in Ocarina she at least provided fire support during the final boss.
    True.

35. Post #1595
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,488 Posts
    frozen synapse ftw

you're not a "GUY" helping the women and men, you're a genderless, amorphous, AI called "Tactics" because that's you're good at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #1596
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    4,418 Posts
    if you consider the dialogue that discusses said women in said role, yes it is (for the russian president's daughter, not the downed heli pilot in cod4)
    Haven't seen anything misogynystic in said dialogue.

But that's probably because I couldn't hear it over the sound of everything going to hell, like it always is in CoD. But I can expect soldiers, - on a battlefield, - to call names and be somewhat disrespectful towards just about anyone. There's no misogyny anyway. Disrespect to said woman, yes, maybe. Since when disrespecting particular woman, or, in this case, woman-looking-imaginary-characther is misogynystic?

37. Post #1597
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    17,712 Posts
    How is it misogyny? She's used as leverage to start the war, not "Hey guys look we hate/mistrust women".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

38. Post #1598
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,488 Posts
    How is it misogyny? She's used as leverage to start the war, not "Hey guys look we hate/mistrust women".
    well, the usual banter about dropping in for a date and saving the miss and stuff.

It's just hollywood action script writing, it can be expected but not excused if you want to look at it from that perspective.

Edited:

Haven't seen anything misogynystic in said dialogue.

But that's probably because I couldn't hear it over the sound of everything going to hell, like it always is in CoD. But I can expect soldiers, - on a battlefield, - to call names and be somewhat disrespectful towards just about anyone. There's no misogyny anyway. Disrespect to said woman, yes, maybe. Since when disrespecting particular woman, or, in this case, woman-looking-imaginary-characther is misogynystic?

again, I'm using the term misogyny in the most blanket way where yes, disrespect towards one woman can be equated to that.

39. Post #1599
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    17,712 Posts
    Then just call it 'disrespect', it's not 'hatred or mistrust' (which is the goddamn definition of misogyny)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #1600
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    4,418 Posts
    again, I'm using the term misogyny in the most blanket way where yes, disrespect towards one woman can be equated to that.
    But that's wrong no matter how many times you repeat it. Misogyny as a fact can only be on some scale. Hating (or mistreating) women for their gender, and thus - a lot of women, all of them. While Delta or whoever there were had shown disrespect towards the one, particular, woman. Sexism is something that's done repeatedly.

I still can't get it why people are repeatedly getting offended all of a sudden by something that was around for thousands of years. Religious people, feminists...