1. Post #1481
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,309 Posts
    lol how did lankist get banned?

did he just explode on someone's profile or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1482
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,044 Posts
    Seems like he got banned for trolling in one of his earlier posts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

3. Post #1483
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,545 Posts
    The reason that these social/casual games are making so much money and selling so much is because they're cheap and easy to make and they're fun and practical. Even people who don't like videogames will be willing to spend a few bucks on Angry Birds or something on their iPhone that they can mess around with on the bus if they get bored. Noone but a fairly regular gamer is going to drop $60 on a title. More money goes into the games that appeal to men not because of sexism but because the male gaming community values high-production value blockbuster setpiece photorealistic graphics high bloom games for the most part and those are expensive to produce. Social networking games or fun little distractions like Farmville or Angry Birds are not.
    It's entirely possible that such games are popular with a male demographic is because they're designed around things that males traditionally like: hot women, fighting, cars, guns - basically everything a 13 year old boy has in his my pictures folder. If there were more AA titles about things girls traditionally like, don't you think that might change?

also this discussion has become oddly civil all of a sudden
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

4. Post #1484
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,309 Posts
    seemed like he was trolling.

Though it might just because craptasket wanted to halt the report spam. (don't ban me plz)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #1485
    I survived the Temple of Doom
    December 2008
    6,017 Posts
    Haha I'm disappointed I actually wanted him to try and address some of the stuff I was saying to him instead of dodging questions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #1486
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,309 Posts
    It's entirely possible that such games are popular with a male demographic is because they're designed around things that males traditionally like: hot women, fighting, cars, guns - basically everything a 13 year old boy has in his my pictures folder. If there were more AA titles about things girls traditionally like, don't you think that might change?

cooking mama.

Though to be honest, I would like to see the genres be expanded to include female tastes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #1487
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    14,147 Posts
    yeah, that's why it was beside the point. I was just disagreeing with "I'd hardly imagine asians are persecuted in their own countries."
    Well they're not really, for example someone of chinese ethnicity would not be persecuted in china, or someone of arabian ethnicity wouldnt be persecuted in the UAE or Saudi Arabia
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1488
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,044 Posts
    Girls seem to like The Sims for some reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

9. Post #1489
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,309 Posts
    Well they're not really, for example someone of chinese ethnicity would not be persecuted in china, or someone of arabian ethnicity wouldnt be persecuted in the UAE or Saudi Arabia
    well I was saying that while people still consider nepalese to be asian, they still are persecuted by other asians (eg, those of chinese background)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #1490
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    17,912 Posts
    Gender isn't a social construct. What the fuck?

It's a biological construct.

The key to gender equality is not to pretend gender doesn't exist.
    nah, sex is the biological side of it, gender is the thing someone identifies with. so in terms of sex you could be a man, but your gender - how the world views you and how you think of yourself - could be more feminine. so if it's determined by personality and the biological side is wholly seperate, it's a social construct.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #1491
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,309 Posts
    because it's interior design simulator 2010 or w/e
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #1492
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    It's a pretty fun game, to be honest. I'd be more surprised by people that don't like it.

13. Post #1493
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    14,147 Posts
    well I was saying that while people still consider nepalese to be asian, they still are persecuted by other asians (eg, those of chinese background)
    Yes same as how white polish people are persecuted by white british people. To assume that being white gives a person some kind of immunity is ridiculous in the same way it is ridiculous to assume that people of colour are hated around the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #1494
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,044 Posts
    It's a pretty fun game, to be honest. I'd be more surprised by people that don't like it.
    I liked the old The Sims the best. The Sims 2 was alright too. Dunno why, but I absolutely hated The Sims 3 though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #1495
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,309 Posts
    Yes same as how white polish people are persecuted by white british people. To assume that being white gives a person some kind of immunity is ridiculous in the same way it is ridiculous to assume that people of colour are hated around the world.
    I agree with you

If you want to see white-on-white racism join LoL EU Nordic/East.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #1496
    December 2008
    6,017 Posts

I agree with you that that might change, but games as a whole are based on action and the action genre of games has by far the highest production values. It's fair to say that women as a whole just don't gravitate towards the action genre, sexism or not.

Sort of like how romantic stories inherently appeal more to women, violent stories of explosions are going to appeal more to guys. Half-Life 2, Skyrim, and Bioshock aren't sexist games but they appeal to a largely male demographic anyway because there's a lot of action and non-sex-based things that males just tend to gravitate towards (and their production values are higher).

I agree, though, that the big gaming industry needs to open up to females more than they are. Portal 2 was comparatively not that violent and instead was a witty, charming, clever game and it appealed to both genders. More games like that need to be made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #1497
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,545 Posts
    cooking mama
    Not exactly my idea of an AA title . Before you read the next part try and imagine there is no such thing as a "brony".

So what if there was a game made about MLP up to an AA quality? You could use shaders similar to the ones in TF2 to bring across the cartoon-like art style, the storyline could easily be brought from the show, and it could emphasize platforming and collection instead of hardcore violence, and voice acted by people from the show. This is kinda reaching for the younger gaming audience but if it was actually made and produced well I'd bet it'd bring more of a female audience to better games. Most things like that are just awfully produced, and it's clear they're just churned out by a shit studio to make some quick cash off something that's popular.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

18. Post #1498
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,309 Posts
    I agree with you that that might change, but games as a whole are based on action and the action genre of games has by far the highest production values. It's fair to say that women as a whole just don't gravitate towards the action genre, sexism or not.

Sort of like how romantic stories inherently appeal more to women, violent stories of explosions are going to appeal more to guys. Half-Life 2, Skyrim, and Bioshock aren't sexist games but they appeal to a largely male demographic anyway because there's a lot of action and non-sex-based things that males just tend to gravitate towards (and their production values are higher).

I agree, though, that the big gaming industry needs to open up to females more than they are. Portal 2 was comparatively not that violent and instead was a witty, charming, clever game and it appealed to both genders. More games like that need to be made.
    ArmA 2 should be more about bringing peace and love to Chernarus

(oh damn some user called Chernarus is viewing this thread lol)

Braid, is an excellent example of a game with an interesting female character, great gameplay, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1499
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,044 Posts
    God damn it... why did my friend move away.
    I forgot all my old Sims games at his place, I got this urge to install the sims, livin' it up, on holiday, and making magic again... Hot damn those were some fun times had.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #1500
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,794 Posts
    i'm pretty sure girls like violence just as much i don't know why you guys think otherwise

league of legends has so many girls/women playing it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #1501
    December 2008
    6,017 Posts
    ArmA 2 should be more about bringing peace and love to Chernarus

(oh damn some user called Chernarus is viewing this thread lol)

Braid, is an excellent example of a game with an interesting female character, great gameplay, etc.
    Yep, agreed. And compare Braid's production values to Skyrim, HL2, etc. Equally high-quality game, it's just that a lot less money went into making it.

Edited:

i'm pretty sure girls like violence just as much i don't know why you guys think otherwise

League of Legends is rated T and it's cartoony violence at best. When I say violent videogames I mean something like BioShock or Fallout 3.

22. Post #1502
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    13,903 Posts
    The Sims 2 was pretty funny. Didn't play it for long at a time. I think that one reason why women don't play many compauter games is that they're simply not skilled with a mouse. It's not that they can't learn, but I started playing FPSs at a young age, and very few girls do that. I've tried getting my girlfriend to play something like Portal, but she just wasn't fast enough. I guess that's why many girls enjoy The Sims - it appeals to young girls (you can say all you want about social stereotypes, but I damn well knew I wanted to shoot terrorists, not create a family), and it doesn't require neither fast reactions, nor much skill with a mouse. It's something you don't really have to place yourself in a basement to play. Besides, it's easy to sit and play with friends, whereas with FPS you need a second computer, or someone willing to just watch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #1503
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,794 Posts
    there are also tons of girls who play fallout 3, dead space and skyrim

infact it's almost certain its those same girls playing those same games
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

24. Post #1504
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,309 Posts

hahaha so true, but that's cartoon violence

though tbh I don't think as many girls like BLOODY SUPER REAL GORE like RO1/RO2 where I'm seeing dead people missing limbs and seeing all the way to their bone.

also they don't like realism, but a lot of guys don't like that too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #1505
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,794 Posts

though tbh I don't think as many girls like BLOODY SUPER REAL GORE like RO1/RO2 where I'm seeing dead people missing limbs and seeing all the way to their bone.

it's all cartoon violence

26. Post #1506
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,309 Posts
    there are also tons of girls who play fallout 3, dead space and skyrim
    because 2 of those are role playing games and that allows girls to mold characters that fit themselves (this also applies to guys too).

Dead Space? not so many girls.

27. Post #1507
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,545 Posts

For me at least, I'm not trying to say that women naturally don't like those things, it's just more socially forced on them - obviously that's changed a lot in the past hundred years and it's going to change a lot more.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1508
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,309 Posts
    it's all cartoon violence
    not in the eyes of the ESRB, plus, how many girls do you see in RO2?

29. Post #1509
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,794 Posts
    because 2 of those are role playing games and that allows girls to mold characters that fit themselves (this also applies to guys too).

Dead Space? not so many girls.
    there are plenty of girls playing dead space

30. Post #1510

I'm amazed how you can tell what a lot of (gamer)girls like or don't like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events

31. Post #1511
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,794 Posts
    not in the eyes of the ESRB, plus, how many girls do you see in RO2?
    i don't even play RO2 because i think it's boring

32. Post #1512
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,309 Posts
    I'm amazed how you can tell what a lot of (gamer)girls like or don't like.
    I'm basing it off my experiences. If you can find those contrary then you're welcome to interject.

YEs, a lot of girls you know may play dead space, but how are those numbers compared to say TF2, LoL, WoW or FO3/Skyrim? they're comparatively small. Sure the games themselves have varying levels of popularity, but I bet if you took a look at the ratios of guys to girls within the individual playerbases, then you probably would find a difference.

Edited:

i don't even play RO2 because i think it's boring
    "also they don't like realism, but a lot of guys don't like that too."

not a gender thing, and I admit that

33. Post #1513
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,794 Posts
    I'm basing it off my experiences. If you can find those contrary then you're welcome to interject.

YEs, a lot of girls you know may play dead space, but how are those numbers compared to say TF2, LoL, WoW or FO3/Skyrim? they're comparatively small...

Edited:

"also they don't like realism, but a lot of guys don't like that too."
    they're small because they cater to male teenagers

obviously they don't play it, doesn't mean they don't like the violence

34. Post #1514
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,309 Posts
    they're small because they cater to male teenagers

obviously they don't play it, doesn't mean they don't like the violence
    well, if you can find something that suggests that they like the violence, I'd be intrigued to see it (actually I'm really curious)

35. Post #1515
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    14,147 Posts
    For me at least, I'm not trying to say that women naturally don't like those things, it's just more socially forced on them - obviously that's changed a lot in the past hundred years and it's going to change a lot more.

Girls toys really are just an absolute insult to women, I find them utterly vile.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

36. Post #1516
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,794 Posts
    well, if you can find something that suggests that they like the violence, I'd be intrigued to see it (actually I'm really curious)
    http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225888674242

course this site looks shiity i dunno if it's even reliable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #1517
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,309 Posts
    "Girls do not mind violent video games, as long as the violence is funny and not too graphic"

sort of my entire point there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #1518
    March 2011
    3,838 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #1519
    To be fair, men get objectified a lot too. See Gears of War for example.

But I do agree, it's actually annoying as fuck to be playing a game and having fun, then seeing some fucktarded fan service that makes no sense.

Edit: Read my post a few down, didn't mean to make it seem that men get it as bad as women do, women definitely get screwed more over this.
    yeah but it's not objectification, more 'glorification' of how "Fucking manly" they are... in a pretty dumb way too.

if men were objectified like women it'd be more like this

and we all know that that would be a very deadly path to tread...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

40. Post #1520
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,044 Posts
    Oh please, both women and gay men would enjoy if men were objectified more.
    Just not like that though, eww.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)