1. Post #121
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,866 Posts
    What parts of the writing in DA:O and DAII were bad, out of curiosity? Haven't played it myself.
    Some of the romances. I've seen videos of them, but I can't for the life of me remember the names of the characters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #122
    I actually wish more games had female main characters.
    If I have to stare at an ass for 8 hours, I'd rather it be a woman's ass and not some drunk pill abuser's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21Funny Funny x 3 (list)

3. Post #123
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Lankist.

Calm the fuck down.

Please, we can discuss this in a rational way without you just throwing out insults every 5 minutes about how we're all cunts for not agreeing with you.
    Please quote one of these insults I have thrown at you.

You're wrong. You know you're wrong. She suggested a feature similar to LA Noire's "skip combat" feature, to which nobody took offense, because she is trying to balance domestic responsibilities, work and free time.

And you think that justifies calling her a whore repeatedly in many words?

Don't sit here and tell me it isn't misogyny when you don't even know why you hate her.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Dumb Dumb x 15Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    Some of the romances. I've seen videos of them, but I can't for the life of me remember the names of the characters.
    Some? Romances really should have been never added to DA
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,048 Posts
    If I have to stare at an ass for 8 hours, I'd rather it be a woman's ass and not some drunk pill abuser's.
    Good job...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,092 Posts
    Chell was sexualized in Portal 2? Did I miss something?
    No, she looks like an average woman, whom you don't see in game

Real life is more sexualized then that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #127
    November 2010
    2,582 Posts
    Oh boy, this thread is such a clusterfuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,628 Posts
    What parts of the writing in DA:O and DAII were bad, out of curiosity? Haven't played it myself.
    The romances in DAII were horribad, and those were her primary domain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #129
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,884 Posts
    Are you talking about max payne?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,866 Posts

You're wrong. You know you're wrong. She suggested a feature similar to LA Noire's "skip combat" feature, to which nobody took offense, because she is trying to balance domestic responsibilities, work and free time.

Don't sit here and tell me it isn't misogyny when you don't even know why you hate her.
    If it was a man saying those words, people would be calling him a cunt with the same level of veracity.

I hate this argument that you can say whatever you like to a man and it's fine, but as soon as you insult a woman you're a sexist thug.

That's not equality, that's positive discrimination.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 29Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

12. Post #132
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Boo fucking hoo, cry about how men like ass.
    I'd prefer you didn't use your baboon-derived traits to justify ignoring the meta-cognizant traits that make you a human being.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,628 Posts

LA Noire had a skip combat feature?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 8 (list)

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,570 Posts
    I doubt video games are the reason women are being treated like shit.
    Plus, I don't see how game designers can win. They make a fully developed female character with human qualities, putting any sort of sex appeal in the very back of their minds, and design her, they'll either be accused of promoting sex appeal or attempting to subvert it. Whether a woman is attractive or not is subjective.
    I'm just gonna grab a AAA game off the top of my head: Skyrim.

Pretty much every female character in that game has very limited to no sexual appeal. They are usually decently clothed and not overly endowed. They can wear full plate armor and bash heads in with warhammers. Some of the armor is a bit iffy in places, but it's probably the most gender-neutral out of any RPG I've seen in years.

Did anyone complain about that? Let me know if they did because I can't find anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,048 Posts
    Boo fucking hoo, cry about how men like ass.
    That doesn't make any sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,033 Posts
    The romances in DAII were horribad, and those were her primary domain.
    She wrote for only 2 of the 5 romance option characters; one of which remains chaste.

This overattribution of the bad writing in DAII to her is exactly my point. There was a team of writers for the game, yet people are putting the blame solely on her.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 2 (list)

17. Post #137
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny Funny x 6Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,866 Posts
    Sexism works both ways too, by the way. Why do people take umbridge to women being presented as sexy and flirtatious dominatrixes in video games, but not with men being presented as jarheaded idiots that are only good for fighting in wars?

Oh right, positive discrimination, I forgot. In order to be equal, we treat one sex differently to the other. That makes sense
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Agree Agree x 7Late Late x 1 (list)

19. Post #139
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,092 Posts
    See, this is the fucking problem.

And for the love of fuck can people stop using "female" as a noun. You all sound autistic when you refer to women as "females." We aren't talking about a wild bonobo population, we're talking about men and women in human society. You all sound ridiculous when you talk like that.
    People use female since not all female characters are 18+ female humans...why is this concept so difficult?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #140
    June 2011
    2,310 Posts
    Those people can fuck right off. That is the flimsiest excuse to spew misogynistic bullshit that I have ever fucking heard.
    does calling a man an asshole count as misandry

because apparently calling a woman a whore is misogynistic, so I'd just like to know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

21. Post #141
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    If it was a man saying those words, people would be calling him a cunt with the same level of veracity.

I hate this argument that you can say whatever you like to a man and it's fine, but as soon as you insult a woman you're a sexist thug.

That's not equality, that's positive discrimination.
    this just in men can't give birth.

Men don't get called whores, sluts, bitches and all manner of misogynistic shit any time the internet at large flips its shit for no god damn reason.

Stop trying to flip this to suit your god damn persecution complex. Nobody is persecuting against you by saying you can't go around calling women whores.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 6 (list)

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,824 Posts
    I'd prefer you didn't use your baboon-derived traits to justify ignoring the meta-cognizant traits that make you a human being.
    Trying to sound superior won't accomplish anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,048 Posts
    I'm just gonna grab a AAA game off the top of my head: Skyrim.

Pretty much every female character in that game has very limited to no sexual appeal. They are usually decently clothed and not overly endowed. They can wear full plate armor and bash heads in with warhammers. Some of the armor is a bit iffy in places, but it's probably the most gender-neutral out of any RPG I've seen in years.

Did anyone complain about that? Let me know if they did because I can't find anything.
    That's because Bethesda can't make good looking humans to save their lives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 24Agree Agree x 5 (list)

24. Post #144
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts

because apparently calling a woman a whore is misogynistic, so I'd just like to know.
    Everyone has an asshole.

"Anthropocentric bag of dicks" would qualify.

How many times have you been called that? Now compare that to the flood of sexist hatred toward one single woman.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #145
    March 2010
    5,116 Posts
    i respect your opinion but youve got shit taste in women

but i also dont get the "perfect muscle body builder space marine dude is fantasy for guys, sexy perfect beach babe girl is also fantasy for guys" argument. i know plenty of girls that are not above swooning over the muscle dude, just as guys get boners over big boobie girls.

i also dont understand why video games are the target here? did people just stop writing books and movies where females are treated as objects or dumb bimbos, or did the feminist movement give up in that department and moved on to video games?

i dunno. i don't treat women like objects, i make female characters when i can... i personally don't need to be preached this, especially when objectifying any human being goes both ways and isnt just offensive to women.

maybe there should be a movement to just write better characters.
    I think he means that sexualized female characters have a bigger personality than female characters who are restricted to staying in the background. I can somewhat agree with that, but I wish that they didn't have to be sexualized. I think it's on par with seeing men wearing thongs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

26. Post #146
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Trying to sound superior won't accomplish anything.
    Hey remember that time where you said Hepler said she hated video games and I told you how what she really said is that she doesn't have time to play video games very often anymore?

Yeah, did you ever acknowledge that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 11Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

27. Post #147
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,728 Posts
    Also, I would like to address the Portal 2 and Chell being "sexualized" real quick.

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't think Chell has been intentionally sexualized in any way whatsoever with Portal 2.

This may come as a shock to some of you, but women do actually wear tanktops sometimes. Just like, and I know this is a mind-bender, but women generally don't like overheating and getting sweaty.

Think about that for a moment. Chell is doing nothing but constantly running and jumping through all these puzzles, never taking a break for a drink of water. We have absolutely no idea what the environmental conditions are like in Aperture Science, but they're probably at the most air-conditioned to a preferred temperature when idle.

On top of all of this, I am sure that jumpsuit is stuffy as fuck.

If you guys were in Chell's place, doing all this running and jumping in a breeze-less, at-most-average-room-temperature room, wearing a thick and stuffy jumpsuit, then chances are you guys would probably be getting uncomfortably warm.

And what do you do when you're uncomfortably warm, and don't have access to drinking water or air temperature control?

You take off some of your clothes.

I don't think Chell has been sexualized in any way in tying the top of her jumpsuit about her waste. She's not boosting a micro-bikini top or a lingerie bra or a thin-mesh shirt or anything like that - she's wearing an entirely casual and common tanktop.

Maybe none of you have ever gone outside and actually looked around in public places, but when it's warm out, women tend to wear tanktops.

I think any sexualization that people perceive in Chell is from the very fact she is a woman, because - and this is just another shocker, I know - women are sexually appealing to heterosexual men. It's almost like heterosexual individuals are biologically engineered to be sexually attracted to the opposite sex or something. Weird, I know!

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 34Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,884 Posts
    Nah, Max has some nice tender ass. I'd pill that shit.
    Didn't really need details but ok
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

29. Post #149
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,866 Posts
    this just in men can't give birth.

Men don't get called whores, sluts, bitches and all manner of misogynistic shit any time the internet at large flips its shit for no god damn reason.

Stop trying to flip this to suit your god damn persecution complex. Nobody is persecuting against you by saying you can't go around calling women whores.
    You asked me to point out where you've been resorting to insults? Well there we go.

I don't have a persecution complex, thanks, I just think it's a bit sexist to only complain about misogyny and not even mention misandry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,048 Posts

Have you ever called a guy a whore for doing something you don't like?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

31. Post #151
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Sexism works both ways too, by the way. Why do people take umbridge to women being presented as sexy and flirtatious dominatrixes in video games, but not with men being presented as jarheaded idiots that are only good for fighting in wars?

Oh right, positive discrimination, I forgot. In order to be equal, we treat one sex differently to the other. That makes sense
    First page.

Edited:

You asked me to point out where you've been resorting to insults? Well there we go.

I don't have a persecution complex, thanks, I just think it's a bit sexist to only complain about misogyny and not even mention misandry.
    There is no misandry. Gears of War was designed by men, marketed toward men.

What people don't seem to fucking get is that it's not about the fact that characters are portrayed unrealistically, but more about who they're trying to appeal to. Big strong men and ditzy women are not two sides of the same coin, they are one side of the same coin: male fantasy--power and sex respectively.

Whoever thinks Gears of War is designed visually to appeal to women needs to meet a fucking woman. Big beefy GoW characters are the stereotypical ideal male within the stereotypical male ego. Ditzy, busty women are the stereotypical ideal female within the stereotypical male ego. Women don't get a fucking say in either one of those portrayals. To imply women are objectifying men because GI Joe is a thing is fucking absurd.

If the male gender as a whole wants to stop the musclebound stereotype, you need to fight that within your own fucking gender. Women don't have anything to do with that shit, and its existence certainly does not diminish existent misogyny and sexism in media.
    You aren't persecuted. Drop the fucking act.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Zing Zing x 8Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,529 Posts
    Oh boy, this thread is such a clusterfuck.
    Most threads in which Lankist participates in tend to end this way.
    No offense meant, dude is smart as hell and, just as in this thread, he is typically right about most things, but he has an awful way of interacting with anyone who even dares to not see things from his perspective.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,824 Posts
    Everyone has an asshole.

"Anthropocentric bag of dicks" would qualify.

How many times have you been called that? Now compare that to the flood of sexist hatred toward one single woman.
    Just because there's a smaller number of male-specific insults it doesn't mean that female-specific insults are any more offensive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,048 Posts
    No offense meant, dude is smart as hell and, just as in this thread, he is typically right about most things, but he has an awful way of interacting with anyone who even dares to not see things from his perspective.
    Yo, seeing things from another perspective is pretty much being a misogynistic asshole.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #155
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,866 Posts
    I can over-extenuate my vernacular to include lexical bovarysme when capitulating my line of argument too.

But for the purposes of concisely putting forward your points it just makes it look like you're trying to mask your opinion beneath pompous twaddle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 15Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #156
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    I have an awful way of interacting with people who justify harassment with flimsy "she doesn't like video games" excuses that aren't even true.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Agree Agree x 7 (list)

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,824 Posts
    You aren't persecuted. Drop the fucking act.
    I don't get it. You're insulting your own side now? What are you trying to do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

38. Post #158
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,070 Posts
    when you don't even know why you hate her.
    While I do find this attitude towards the woman disgusting, and I think it is bad that the people have reacted in such a way. I can't shake this feeling that it got majority of funding because of men saying "I DON'T WANT TO BE SEXIST SO I MUST FUND"

I didn't fund because she's a bad video maker, and I highly suggest all those who consider backing to perhaps checking out her other videos on youtube. If someone who wasn't going to show obvious bias was to make a documentary video series on this I would applaud it, and would back it. But alas tis not the case.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #159
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Have you ever called a guy a whore for doing something you don't like?
    I have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #160
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Just because there's a smaller number of male-specific insults it doesn't mean that female-specific insults are any more offensive.
    And men aren't being persecuted.

That's sort of the fucking point here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)