1. Post #1
    May 2012
    55 Posts
    I will be starting a gmod community and setting up a copy of Cloud16's OA HL2RP (will update to CW) and I was just wondering how I may be able to improve this gamemode and make it more interesting for players. This is my first time ever starting a community so I am a bit nervous about doing this. Any help would be appreciated!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    11,747 Posts
    HL2RP isn't RP.
    It's Cops N' Robbers which is prolonged over RL months, and when you are finally given the chance to kill something you have to obey this:
    [URL]
    If you are not in it for Cops N' Robbers, you are there to cyber with other players out of sheer boredom because the cannon is so restrictive that doing something abnormal is considered 'Fail RP'.
    I'm not trying to be a dick, but you really can't make HL2 RP fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 4Informative Informative x 1Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    1,355 Posts
    tacoscript was fun though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    metromod.net
    April 2010
    2,216 Posts
    'Serious' roleplay is probably the most dumb thing ever created. Unless everyone can agree on what to do, it will never work in gmod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

5. Post #5

August 2011
    134 Posts
    All you really do in HL2RP is walk around the city and get bossed around by the CP's and you have no freedom. Don't make it so boring for the citizen's. Allow them to have some freedom.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    metromod.net
    April 2010
    2,216 Posts
    All you really do in HL2RP is walk around the city and get bossed around by the CP's and you have no freedom. Don't make it so boring for the citizen's. Allow them to have some freedom.
    BUT TEHN U BRAEK SRS R PEE PEE !!!!!!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Zing Zing x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    11,747 Posts
    I made a doughnut shop based on the Civil Protection series. I was banned for not RP'ing cannon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,144 Posts
    The HL2 story line makes for a great story when you're thinking in the perspective of a game developer, I mean you have the perfect overwhelming enemy to fight against and have that triumphant victory over.

You remove the video game aspect and it becomes incredibly restrictive and admittedly very boring.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

9. Post #9
    I JERK MY COCK UNTIL IT'S SORE TO MLP RULE 34
    July 2010
    3,882 Posts
    I don't play hl2rp because of the fucking shoot to miss crap, its retarded and only good if you have the ammo for it. That video shown is a good example cause it makes you look incapable of shit.

Plus most communities die within a month or so, also why I stopped.

Edit: So if you want to improve HL2RP, take that rule out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    May 2012
    55 Posts
    So I get where you guys are coming from and that really does open my eyes. But what should my first gamemode as a server owner be then? We all know how DarkRP turns out >.>

11. Post #11
    I love bestiality!
    May 2009
    4,854 Posts
    An original gamemode.

And use Tiramisu 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    My Blog
    July 2009
    1,958 Posts
    Don't use openAura.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    May 2012
    55 Posts
    An original gamemode.

And use Tiramisu 2.
    Any suggestions?

14. Post #14
    My Blog
    July 2009
    1,958 Posts
    There's not many options. Adopt the skill of Lua and make your own!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    May 2012
    55 Posts
    Would people be interested in PERP? or are there too many of those servers as well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,144 Posts
    I don't play hl2rp because of the fucking shoot to miss crap, its retarded and only good if you have the ammo for it. That video shown is a good example cause it makes you look incapable of shit.

Plus most communities die within a month or so, also why I stopped.

Edit: So if you want to improve HL2RP, take that rule out.
    Not quite so, see I ran an experiment once where we actually took and ran with the part of the superior combine oppressors.

I played quite competitively and seriously for a time and genuinely attempted to completely crush the rebel movement, all rules like shoot to miss or other unnecessary extensions to combat were out of the window.

The result was me using legit tactics to narrow down the rebel base and then we raided when they were together, and keep in mind that they knew of my tactics perfectly.

We breached, and then we ran in like we were playing a match of BF3, it was hella fun and the fire-fight that ensued wasn't boring nor artificially extended in any sense of the word.

Ultimately the rebels lost due to the surprise and were all killed.

Despite my discovery and breaching of the rebel hideout all being 'role-played correctly', I received massive bitching all related to how 'it was so unfair how you ran in and just started shooting we should have had a chance omg now i cant cyber anymore!~11'.

Basically, people don't like losing their precious characters they worked so hard on despite taking the risk of getting into a life threatening position in the first place, people who HL2RP (or serious rp at all) expect the server and admin to hand them all fair warning to everything and to help them ensure their characters safety, NONE of them think of their own actions and instead just bitch when things don't go their way.

Instead of thinking 'Man, raiding this combine outpost is incredibly dangerous, I should be careful' and then accepting any consequences that come with this decision to go into a dangerous position, the minute they actually have to face the consequence of their decision they bitch up a massive storm about how nothing was fair and how they weren't given adequate chance to basically cheat death in the interest of living on to cyber another day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    November 2010
    1,172 Posts
    Don't have too many restrictions to the canon. If you have a set ending to a story, you will fail to make it fun. Let rebels actually try to do what they want, if they want to attack the Combine Nexus, let them. If they succeed, then let them continue carrying out operations. The worst thing you can do to the players is restrict what they can/can't do in role play.

Don't be afraid to add unique things that aren't in HL2, it will make things more interesting. If anyone bitches about it, they can go fuck off to their boring role play where they get a daily beating.

18. Post #18
    VENEZOLANO
    August 2006
    3,419 Posts
    How about not reinventing the wheel and just not do HL2RP since it's been the only damn thing half of the RP community for the last 5 years?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

19. Post #19
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,877 Posts
    How can people enjoy roleplay? It looks seriously annoying as fuck. I just watched that video of the "shoot to miss" rule and it doesn't look like anyone is enjoying themselves. You just sit there and shoot the wall while everyone pats you on the back for being a "serious roleplayer".

Honestly i'd rather mow the lawn instead of this shit. At least there isn't a "you aren't allowed to cut any of the grass" rule when i do that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20

June 2012
    9 Posts
    Serious RP is not about killing people, it's about developing your character and getting to know people, on my server, we barely ever have sweeps of the slums, Rebels don't go and kill all the CP for fun, it's about getting to know people, it can be a lot of fun if it is done right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    I am not a billboard.

July 2009
    525 Posts
    Death is part of character development.

Deal with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    November 2010
    1,172 Posts
    How can people enjoy roleplay? It looks seriously annoying as fuck. I just watched that video of the "shoot to miss" rule and it doesn't look like anyone is enjoying themselves. You just sit there and shoot the wall while everyone pats you on the back for being a "serious roleplayer".

Honestly i'd rather mow the lawn instead of this shit. At least there isn't a "you aren't allowed to cut any of the grass" rule when i do that.
    It's quite possible to enjoy role play, just not on 90% of the GMod servers. People think you need restrictions like S2M(shoot to miss), /roll, and /me.

S2M is used to make firefights much longer, but makes the firefights boring. If you want S2M, don't make it into a rule, code shit recoil or spread on the weapons if you really need it or don't use it at all.

Next the /roll command, people use this command because they're too incompetent to decide who wins a fight or they care too much about they're character. Fights and most other things usually aren't based on luck, if the players who thought /roll was necessary had common sense and were willing to lose a character, fights and other situations people use /roll in wouldn't be as boring.

Finally the /me command, the /me command is one of the best commands in role play, but is misused so much and turns some role play servers into text role play. /me shouldn't be enforced or shouldn't be enforced as much as it is now, I'm sure most players can use common sense and figure out what someone's doing instead of forcing someone to use /me.

These are just some of the things that could make role play servers better. People are forgetting what role play is and it's just simply playing the role of someone or something. If you really think about it that way, you can have more fun on DarkRP than all these serious HL2RP servers. Also, one last bit to make role play more fun: don't force your players to sign up on some website so they can get a position like CP or something. Let them be able to do this in game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    I am not a billboard.

July 2009
    525 Posts
    It's quite possible to enjoy role play, just not on 90% of the GMod servers. People think you need restrictions like S2M(shoot to miss), /roll, and /me.

S2M is used to make firefights much longer, but makes the firefights boring. If you want S2M, don't make it into a rule, code shit recoil or spread on the weapons if you really need it or don't use it at all.

Next the /roll command, people use this command because they're too incompetent to decide who wins a fight or they care too much about they're character. Fights and most other things usually aren't based on luck, if the players who thought /roll was necessary had common sense and were willing to lose a character, fights and other situations people use /roll in wouldn't be as boring.

Finally the /me command, the /me command is one of the best commands in role play, but is misused so much and turns some role play servers into text role play. /me shouldn't be enforced or shouldn't be enforced as much as it is now, I'm sure most players can use common sense and figure out what someone's doing instead of forcing someone to use /me.

These are just some of the things that could make role play servers better. People are forgetting what role play is and it's just simply playing the role of someone or something. If you really think about it that way, you can have more fun on DarkRP than all these serious HL2RP servers. Also, one last bit to make role play more fun: don't force your players to sign up on some website so they can get a position like CP or something. Let them be able to do this in game.
    I don't think you are talking about actual "serious" roleplay communities.

24. Post #24
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,877 Posts
    Serious RP is not about killing people, it's about developing your character and getting to know people, on my server, we barely ever have sweeps of the slums, Rebels don't go and kill all the CP for fun, it's about getting to know people, it can be a lot of fun if it is done right.
    There are ways to build immersion without enforcing these godawful rules though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,240 Posts
    Serious Roleplay is fun when done right with the right people.
    Although, my personal opinion is not to make HL2RP. It simply has been done too many times.
    Think about something original.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,144 Posts
    Serious Roleplay is fun when done right with the right people.
    Although, my personal opinion is not to make HL2RP. It simply has been done too many times.
    Think about something original.
    In my own honest opinion, originality has nothing to do with it.

If you have a bunch of friends and start with a theme, then run with it and let it evolve outside the canon without much planning, you can have an amazing story on your hands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    August 2011
    3,555 Posts
    If people learned to break an unofficial canon, it'd probably be a little more fun.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    11,747 Posts
    'Fuck cannon' - Any Forum RP'er

RP is about making a collabarative story which progresses over time. Making a pre-determined cannon doesn't aid the story unless it's done in such a fashion where it's more of a backstory or understanding to the present placement of everything.

29. Post #29
    VENEZOLANO
    August 2006
    3,419 Posts
    Honestly if you're going to add guns don't be lazy and make people butcher them. Just code in a system that allows you to have good looking firefights for a longer amount of time. Such combat systems exist in games like Second Life and the only reason they haven't been implemented is the fact all developers have been scared away.

30. Post #30
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,877 Posts
    Making a pre-determined cannon doesn't aid the story unless it's done in such a fashion where it's more of a backstory or understanding to the present placement of everything.
    what if the cannon shoots at all the people that ruin the immersion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    help
    January 2012
    276 Posts
    I have an idea on how to improve your HL2RP experience.

Fuck shit up and make people realize that they are wasting their fuckin' time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    March 2009
    240 Posts
    I find that, for many reasons enumerated in this thread so far, openAura HL2RP servers make excellent targets for trolling as I believe Zyke pointed out. The simple fact that many communities are run by 13 year old admins that enforce the horribly oppressive and anti-fun rulesets make it a quite agreeable hobby.

As I hear, this is a favorite passtime of the Moldavian immigrant community.

If you want a taste of such passions, this text file shows some highlights of a recent run of mine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    2,843 Posts
    I'm starting to believe the best RP is the RP that has no weapons, whatsoever.

Maybe i'm late to the party but children have absolutely ruined role-play for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Lua King Lua King x 1Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    August 2011
    3,555 Posts
    The only good thing is you don't need to worry about someone running around with an AK-47 shooting people down.

35. Post #35
    8==== ===== ===== ===== ===D
    Dennab
    April 2008
    4,831 Posts
    just like dark rp there are a FEW good hl2rp servers

it really depends on the systems and the players

for the most part the players usually rp well n shit
    and if the server uses rolling for combat it's already fucking bad

and shoot to miss works only when it's long ranged w/o sniping

it's fucking retarded with sniping or at point-blank range ex. video
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    I am not a billboard.

July 2009
    525 Posts
    Why people so mad about shitty roleplay communities that die withing two weeks?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    May 2012
    55 Posts
    Why people so mad about shitty roleplay communities that die withing two weeks?
    Hook me up with Evolution and I will host a server of that(;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    I've never understood why people hate rolling so much. People think serious roleplay has to be "UBER REALISM" or else it's just fake and gay. Seriously, there's a difference between the words 'serious' and 'realistic'. I, for one, enjoy rolling as it presents more of a "Holy shit, what's going to happen next." effect. It's not just, "Oh, you have armor. I guess I can't hurt you. Kill my character, thanks." You know, rolling can be slightly realistic by adding a +15 (or any number) bonus to a more powerful character's roll. It just pisses me off how this new generation of roleplayers fail to realize it's not all about realism - it's about a balance of fun and realism.

Also, you shouldn't bitch about rolling as most every server doesn't use it and most players will be giant dicks if you do use /roll in a play to lose (I think that's what it's called) server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    VENEZOLANO
    August 2006
    3,419 Posts
    If you're gonna roll, roll for actual RANDOM events not throwing fucking punches. It's much easier to follow simple etiquette and not blocking or even worse countering every damn attack that gets thrown at you. Just take a couple of hits and you see that combat becomes so much more fair, fun, and helps develop your character.

What people don't realize is that an integral part of character development is losing some battles and RPing defeat. You often get more RP just by losing than winning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    If you're gonna roll, roll for actual RANDOM events not throwing fucking punches. It's much easier to follow simple etiquette and not blocking or even worse countering every damn attack that gets thrown at you. Just take a couple of hits and you see that combat becomes so much more fair, fun, and helps develop your character.

What people don't realize is that an integral part of character development is losing some battles and RPing defeat. You often get more RP just by losing than winning.
    It's not fair or fun at all. The person with better training pretty much just stomps you every time. That's sure fun!

You say roleplay is about developing your character. What if your character dies during the fight you couldn't do anything about simply because someone knew martial arts? Whether you win or not doesn't matter. It's just the repetitiveness of being defeated because some guy is "better than you".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)