1. Post #1
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,320 Posts
    (CNN) –“All we wanna do is adopt a highway,” said April Chambers, secretary of the North Georgia chapter of the Ku Klux Klan. “We're not doing it for publicity. We're doing it to keep the mountains beautiful. People throwing trash out on the side of the road ... that ain't right."

For many Americans, the Ku Klux Klan has been a symbol for terrorism, racism and evil in America, synonymous with burning crosses, lynchings and hooded men.

Even today, the name evokes vociferous discussion about the rights of a local group to adopt a highway in North Georgia, which was recently denied.

But is the latest effort to adopt a highway an introduction of a new era of a kinder, gentler Klan or merely an effort to gain attention? After more than a century and a half, what is the Ku Klux Klan today?

"We're not racists," Chambers told CNN Monday. "We just want to be with white people. If that's a crime, then I don't know. It's all right to be black and Latino and proud, but you can't be white and proud. I don't understand it."

Harley Hanson, who filed the application to adopt the highway for the International Keystone Knights Realm of Georgia, concurred: “I love my race. Does that make me wrong? I’m proud to be white,” he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Today, when speaking to leaders of the Klan, you won't hear racial epithets or a denunciation of any ethnic groups.

"We do not hate anyone,” said Frank Ancona, the imperial wizard of the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. “The true Ku Klux Klan is an organization that is looking out for the interests of the white race. It is a fraternal organization, and we do good works.”

Ancona's words are a contrast to criminal acts historically associated with the Klan - a divergence from intimidating images of hooded figures with lit crosses cutting through a dark night.

"We look out for the interest of our family first, I feel that other races feel the same way - it's a natural instinct, " he adds.

After all, who can argue with anyone about taking care of one's loved ones or cleaning up a national highway?

"These groups are interested in the press they know they are going to get off this – it doesn’t have anything to do with improving the world," said Mark Potok, editor in chief of the Intelligence Report, which tracks hate groups and extremists for the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Potok concludes that it is not a kinder, gentler Ku Klux Klan but merely a sign of the times.

“Even the Klan recognizes there is no way that they can recreate America as an all-white country,” he said.

The group began as a fraternal organization, founded by Confederate veterans after the Civil War. At its height, Ku Klux Klan members were politicians, advertising gurus, journalists, businessmen and women with powerful political and social influence. In the 1920s, membership swelled to 4 million to 5 million, fueled in part by the popularity of "A Birth of a Nation," a 1915 silent film that extolled the virtues of the Klan. The civil rights era witnessed a resurgence of the group, and it still exists today with 4,000 to 5,000 members nationally.

"I wonder why they characterize us as a hate group? Who do we hate?" Ancona said. "I know what the perception is; people come up to us and they hate us."

When speaking to him via phone, Ancona insists that there is a not a "rebranding" of the KKK. Instead, there is a focus on the original values of the Klan that have been distorted by "rogue" members and a mischaracterization by media.

"We are doing all we can to dispel the negative images," said Ancona. "If we find out one of our members was charged with a crime, or immoral behavior, we might give them a warning first, but we try to keep a tight eye on that. We have a thorough screening process to weed out troublemakers. I can only speak for the Traditional Knights, but none of our members are criminals."

Ancona sends out Twitter messages, has a modest following and speaks earnestly about the traditions of the Klan. He speaks with special conviction when talking about the standard by which he strives to live.

"Jesus Christ is our criteria of character. If you look at Romans 12:1-2, that is how Klans are supposed to live, that is the standard, " he explained. "We do not burn the cross, we light the cross to show that Christ is the light of the world."

When pressed for how historical killings intersect with with Christian teachings of loving one another, he answers that the criticism the group faces is similar to the contempt directed at his example.

"We do this even though we know we will be hated and scorned, we sacrifice and serve for what's right - to uphold the principle that were taught by Jesus Christ of Nazareth and ensure that we give our children and their grandchildren America we had."

An independent contractor, Ancona says he is not paid for his work leading the Midwest chapter. He does the work "because I feel that I am doing something good for my fellow man."

He believes there is nothing hateful in the Klan bylaws and contends that while the organization has had "a dark past," it is not dissimilar to that of the action of some priests actions in the Catholic Church or a producer cutting misleading clips in on a story about George Zimmerman: you don't judge the whole for a few bad parts.

"I would want people to know that we are here, and we are not to be feared. The Klan is looking out for the white race, to preserve our rights and our history. The Klan looks out for America as our forefathers did."

Mark Pitcavage, the director of investigative research for the Anti-Defamation League, characterizes Ancona's group as "sort of the big dog" of the Ku Klux Klan now.

Pitcavage is a former military historian who began researching militia minutemen and later right-wing extremism. He characterizes the Klan as "group of hard-core white supremacists that are motivated by a belief that the white race is in danger of extinction."

He says white supremacy is composed of five main movements: Neo-Nazis, traditional white supremacist groups, racist skinheads, racist prison gangs and Christian Identity, whose religious adherents believe they are descended from lost tribes of Israel.

The current Klan is not one cohesive group, and is considered one of the traditional white supremacist groups, which emerged in the the civil rights era.

"The situation that existed in the 1950s and '60s simply does not exist. The white supremacists are no longer in charge. They are now fighting for the very survival of the white race, and they have to fight to protect," said Pitcavage. "This is a fundamental difference of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1950s and today in the 21st century.”

In the past 60 years, several chapters of the Klan have made efforts to be involved in more civic-minded projects, such as adopting highways.

The Knights of the Ku Klux Klan – the Harrison, Arkansas, group that David Duke once led - tried doing it. There was also a group in Missouri that won a lawsuit to adopt a highway, and most recently, the North Georgia group that was denied the permit.
    Source: http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2012/...l-wizard-says/

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny x 114Friendly x 19Agree x 2Informative x 1Winner x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    King Shit of Turd Mountain
    July 2009
    8,914 Posts
    imperial wizard...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 151Funny Funny x 4Late Late x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2010
    288 Posts
    this title is hilarious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 69 (list)

4. Post #4
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Imperial wizard, fuck I would join the KKK just to get a title like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 150Funny x 24Late x 1Disagree x 1Friendly x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,980 Posts
    So a group founded out of hate for others claims not to hate anyone? Okay then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 11 (list)

6. Post #6
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,912 Posts
    It's funny because they hate blacks and jews and stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative x 21Dumb x 5Useful x 3Disagree x 2Funny x 2Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Official Bro of DD

June 2010
    13,642 Posts
    Yea if there is one thing the kkk did right it was to give themself awesome sounding ranks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 95Funny Funny x 12 (list)

8. Post #8
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,092 Posts
    They should send a black guy with a hidden camera into one of their villages asking for directions. Then we shall see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32 (list)

9. Post #9
    Chase827's Bitch
    January 2012
    4,223 Posts
    Reminds me of the rank-up's in "Duty Calls."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    November 2007
    1,610 Posts

Obviously everyone is just overreacting to what the KKK has been doing and saying for the past hundred or so years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 40 (list)

11. Post #11
    Well if that is true they should start their own organization not join one that is based on hatred, racism and violence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 38Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,167 Posts
    take fucking heed: just because you say you're not racist, doesn't mean you aren't
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,225 Posts
    They've got some really amusing terminology

Klabee: treasurers
    Klavern: local organization
    Imperial Kleagle: recruiter
    Klecktoken: initiation fee
    Kligrapp: secretary
    Klonvocation: gathering
    Kloran: ritual book
    Kloreroe: delegate
    Imperial Kludd: chaplain
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Funny Funny x 65Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,446 Posts
    Well, at least they aren't lynching people, I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,573 Posts
    I can't help but think that the modern KKK is a bit like the Hell's Angels. HA do a lot of charity work, but their darker chapters stay in the foreground.
    Although if that is the case with the KKK, at least change your name. A few small issues need to be shrugged off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

16. Post #16
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,794 Posts
    Imperial wizard, fuck I would join the KKK just to get a title like that.
    "Imperial Wizard" probably looks awesome in your employment history until the place you're applying at sees you were in he KKK.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 51Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Official Bro of DD

June 2010
    13,642 Posts
    "Imperial Wizard" probably looks awesome in your employment history until the place you're applying at sees you were in he KKK.
    I dunno man the fact that he is a wizard might outweigh the fact that hes racist
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 31Funny Funny x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    September 2008
    1,100 Posts
    "We're not racists," Chambers told CNN Monday. "We just want to be with white people. If that's a crime, then I don't know. It's all right to be black and Latino and proud, but you can't be white and proud. I don't understand it."
    I never got the point of being proud of your skin color. "Congratulations, Bill, you were born white!" Would you NOT be proud of your race if you were black? What's the point of being proud of some arbitrary detail that you were handed at birth? This goes for every skin color.

How about we be proud of something that you actually had to work for, like an education or a job or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,325 Posts
    I never got the point of being proud of your skin color. "Congratulations, Bill, you were born white!" Would you NOT be proud of your race if you were black? What's the point of being proud of some arbitrary detail that you were handed at birth? This goes for every skin color.

How about we be proud of something that you actually had to work for, like an education or a job or something.
    There is black history month, Hispanic history month, etc. He does have a point, what is wrong with them wanting to have white pride? It is no different then any other pride.

I don't support any of the crimes and hate speech they have committed. But I'm simply playing devils advocate. Why the double standard.

As others said, if they're truly wanting to promote that idea. They should break off and create a different organization.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 36 (list)

20. Post #20
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,794 Posts
    I dunno man the fact that he is a wizard might outweigh the fact that hes racist
    Just don't expect any black magic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 71Funny Funny x 19Zing Zing x 7 (list)

21. Post #21
    My dick's so long, if I laid it on my keyboard, it'd reach from A to Z.
    March 2012
    2,097 Posts
    Why do we not have a white history month?

Let's face it, people...whites have, historically, had it made in the shade. Like the Louis CK bit.. .a white guy can get into a time machine, go to literally any period in history, and find that shit is pretty sweet for white people.

White history month? Don't be greedy. . .pretty much EVERY month is white history month already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 30Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,325 Posts

Let's face it, people...whites have, historically, had it made in the shade. Like the Louis CK bit.. .a white guy can get into a time machine, go to literally any period in history, and find that shit is pretty sweet for white people.

White history month? Don't be greedy. . .pretty much EVERY month is white history month already.
    Don't be greedy? Really? People make contributions to history. Their outstanding character (Or terrible character/morals) and the way they carry themselves get them in to history. Sometimes their race and background come to play. But being a black person/white person/etc didn't make them the person they are (Most of the time). It is more then that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts

IIRC white people had it pretty shit during the middle ages. A lot of their gains in recent times have been due to the early appearance of the industrial revolution in Europe and the preceding colonization that was aided by the introduction of new life forms to the New World such as earthworms and bees.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,478 Posts
    They've got some really amusing terminology

Klabee: treasurers
    Klavern: local organization
    Imperial Kleagle: recruiter
    Klecktoken: initiation fee
    Kligrapp: secretary
    Klonvocation: gathering
    Kloran: ritual book
    Kloreroe: delegate
    Imperial Kludd: chaplain
    Ranking Positions of the KKK:

Grand Imperial Wizard- this is the leader of all KKK dens across the country. He is assisted by 10 "Genii," and has been described as "autocratic."
    Grand Magi- He serves as a sort of "vice-president" to the organization and can act as deputy wizard.
    Grand Scribe-This person serves as secretary of the Klan and takes detailed accounts of the meetings.
    Grand Dragon of the Realm- He presides over his assigned state or "realm" with eight "Hydras" to assist him.
    Grand Titan of the Dominion-The Grand Titan governs a Dominion, or several counties in a state, and is assisted by six "Furies."
    Grand Giant of the Province- He ran each "Province," which was a County, and had 4 "Night Hawks"(messengers) as assistants.
    Grand Cyclops- The Grand Cyclops ran an individual Den, and was assisted by 2 Night Hawks.
    Lictors- These were the guards for the Den meetings.
    Ghouls-This name refers all members
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 30Winner Winner x 6Informative Informative x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,873 Posts
    if they didn't have such a fucked up history as an organisation, stupid costumes and corny titles then I would of given them the benefit of the doubt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,839 Posts
    It's funny because they hate blacks and jews and stuff
    I hate blacks and jews and stuff too if they are assholes.

(User was banned for this post ("Racism" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    I'd hate blacks and jews and stuff if that could get people to call me Imperial Wizard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 5 (list)

28. Post #28
    November 2008
    1,123 Posts

Relevant.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Don't Worry, I'm a Marine
    October 2005
    3,002 Posts
    I don't think you realize the kkk isn't a singular established organisation anymore, but rather several independent organisations that all fly the same flag. They all have different views on everything.

Still, it sounds a bit odd for someone from any kkk organisation to be saying that stuff considering the history of the kkk as a whole.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

30. Post #30
    March 2012
    2,097 Posts
    Don't be greedy? Really? People make contributions to history. Their outstanding cdharacter (Or terrible character/morals) and the way they carry themselves get them in to history. Sometimes their race and background come to play. But being a black person/white person/etc didn't make them the person they are (Most of the time). It is more then that.
    Absolutely nothing in what I said is contradicted by this. My point is...racial pride is all well and good, but your skin color is the least important part of you. So "Where's mah white histry month?" is a dumb argument for the Klan to make.

Edit: it occurs to me that you didn't realize that the "why is there no white history month" was rhetorical.

31. Post #31
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    Absolutely nothing in what I said is contradicted by this. My point is...racial pride is all well and good, but your skin color is the least important part of you. So "Where's mah white histry month?" is a dumb argument for Tue Klan to make.
    the idea of a month dedicated to white history is ridiculous because every month is white history month
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 4Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    November 2011
    4,754 Posts
    can't stop laughing at that title
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,320 Posts
    IIRC white people had it pretty shit during the middle ages. A lot of their gains in recent times have been due to the early appearance of the industrial revolution in Europe and the preceding colonization that was aided by the introduction of new life forms to the New World such as earthworms and bees.
    Whites had it pretty shitty because of whites.

Blacks had it shitty because of another race.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

34. Post #34
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    the idea of a month dedicated to white history is ridiculous because every month is white history month
    What about February?

35. Post #35
    March 2012
    2,097 Posts

That's precisely my point.

36. Post #36
    March 2012
    2,097 Posts
    They DID have a rough time. At the hands of other white people.

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Whites had it pretty shitty because of whites.

Blacks had it shitty because of another race.
    There was the Mongol invasion which was mostly composed of non-Europeans killing Europeans though, along with Islamic excursions into Europe in the preceding centuries.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    \\

March 2012
    220 Posts
    Ranking Positions of the KKK:

Grand Imperial Wizard- this is the leader of all KKK dens across the country. He is assisted by 10 "Genii," and has been described as "autocratic."
    Grand Magi- He serves as a sort of "vice-president" to the organization and can act as deputy wizard.
    Grand Scribe-This person serves as secretary of the Klan and takes detailed accounts of the meetings.
    Grand Dragon of the Realm- He presides over his assigned state or "realm" with eight "Hydras" to assist him.
    Grand Titan of the Dominion-The Grand Titan governs a Dominion, or several counties in a state, and is assisted by six "Furies."
    Grand Giant of the Province- He ran each "Province," which was a County, and had 4 "Night Hawks"(messengers) as assistants.
    Grand Cyclops- The Grand Cyclops ran an individual Den, and was assisted by 2 Night Hawks.
    Lictors- These were the guards for the Den meetings.
    Ghouls-This name refers all members
    I'd join just to get that Grand Dragon Of The Realm title.

39. Post #39
    March 2012
    2,097 Posts
    What about February?
    Doesn't count. We gave black history the shortest month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

40. Post #40
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    the titles are ridiculous because the KKK was originally a secretive fraternity
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)