1. Post #41
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    The solar system is shaped like a cell?
    Conspiracy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Biggest Homosex
    February 2011
    2,669 Posts
    And then, when we're least expecting it:

all hail glorious v'ger
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 6Late Late x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    February 2011
    1,958 Posts

We may someday lose signal, but we'll always hold its beeps in our hearts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 23 (list)

4. Post #44
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,994 Posts
    I'm petrified to imagine what would happen if this thing ever encountered an alien species that avoids our solar system for whatever reason, you know, the usual sci-fi crap but I love to think of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    8,259 Posts
    This song started playing in my head while reading that.

if earth had a common anthem, this would be it

Edited:

or
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    September 2011
    711 Posts
    When was there ever a depiction of an extraterrestrial on the Voyager craft?
    I think he was talking about my post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,411 Posts
    I don't think extraterrestrials would avoid us for us portraying them in ignorance. Hell, I'd love to see their depictions. Now THAT would be insanely awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

8. Post #48
    Dennab
    August 2009
    1,072 Posts
    Think about it for a moment: The Voyager is out in space, billions of miles away. Even Sol is just a small spot among the million stars dotting the void around it. It floats in silence, shrouded in pitch darkness, surrounded by literally nothing at all, getting further and further away from Earth, its place of creation, and it will never return. It will keep on moving, provided nothing gets in its way, even if it ceases to function and will be only a hunk of useless metal, maybe even when Earth and Sol exists no more. A single, cosmic testatement that mankind exists.
    Until it hits a star :/

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,267 Posts
    Imagine being on that right now
    All those miles away...
    Lonely and dead silent...and the best view in the solar system

10. Post #50
    Just a Homestuck OC with a massive dick
    April 2011
    2,571 Posts

Why is this photo on the golden record
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 39Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Heineken made me rich
    June 2005
    4,681 Posts
    I'd like to think that some day we pick up a signal or encounter an alien species own voyager probe, that's be mega cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,355 Posts
    Think about it for a moment: The Voyager is out in space, billions of miles away. Even Sol is just a small spot among the million stars dotting the void around it. It floats in silence, shrouded in pitch darkness, surrounded by literally nothing at all, getting further and further away from Earth, its place of creation, and it will never return. It will keep on moving, provided nothing gets in its way, even if it ceases to function and will be only a hunk of useless metal, maybe even when Earth and Sol exists no more. A single, cosmic testatement that mankind exists.
    I'm getting more of a "Earth starts with a starport and two scouts" vibe. I think I've played too much Sins or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,267 Posts
    This is really interesting: http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/science/thirty.html
    Shows you how they deal with errors and how they deal with the continual power loss of the nuclear generators

14. Post #54
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts
    Brings new meaning to the phrase "to infinity and beyond."

Hopefully, Voyager won't end up in the Delta Quadrant.
    No, hopefully it doesn't crash on some planet and turn into a sentient space cloud that tries to destroy Earth in the 2270's.

15. Post #55
    October 2010
    11,825 Posts

Why is this photo on the golden record
    One of the scientists decided that this would be the ultimate prank on a friend

"I sent your picture to aliens!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 38Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts
    what about voyager 2, no one ever talks about voyager 2
    You mean why they don't talk about the top-secret Voyager 6 that everyone knows about now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,411 Posts
    One of the scientists decided that this would be the ultimate prank on a friend

"I sent your picture to aliens!"
    Well, it shows the basics about how we get our food: we just buy it from stores. But, I agree with you guys, it's definitely not space-worthy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

18. Post #58
    October 2010
    11,825 Posts
    Well, it shows the basics about how we get our food: we just buy it from stores. But, I agree with you guys, it's definitely not space-worthy.
    Depends on how you view it, think of it this way, that transfer of knowledge implies an understanding of the concepts of stores, buying, and what our food is. How are they supposed to know that the writing shows numbers and prices? That it means buying? How do we know that another intelligent species will even have "stores" or any concept of money?

It's not useful at all,
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    8,259 Posts
    you're getting pretty heated over it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,323 Posts
    Depends on how you view it, think of it this way, that transfer of knowledge implies an understanding of the concepts of stores, buying, and what our food is. How are they supposed to know that the writing shows numbers and prices? That it means buying? How do we know that another intelligent species will even have "stores" or any concept of money?

It's not useful at all,
    You just described what does make it useful. The golden record tells what we are. We can't explain everything in detail, so we just show a picture and let them figure it out. Compare it to cave drawings. It described the every day life a the dawn of mankind. It didn't contain blueprints on how in the world they build stonehenge. For an alien species, that picture will contain a wealth of information.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

21. Post #61
    Heineken made me rich
    June 2005
    4,681 Posts
    Moving aside from the probe itself, think about all the radio transmissions to leave earth.. If any new species was to hear them.. they'd hear them in order of being broadcast, and assuming they have any understanding or means to translate our languages they'd hear about the atrocities committed during WW2 first..

you think they'd want to continue listening?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,833 Posts
    And now we wait for aliens.
    Aliens? Lets look at a dark quote by an esteemed astrophysicist.

9:30
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 10Winner x 3Friendly x 3Funny x 3Informative x 2 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    1,814 Posts
    The solar system is shaped like a cell?
    It's like how Earth's magnetic field is shaped by the the solar winds, the interstellar winds cause it to change shape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    18,126 Posts
    It's like how Earth's magnetic field is shaped by the the solar winds, the interstellar winds cause it to change shape.
    Nature has a way of repeating common features

25. Post #65
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,889 Posts
    Aliens? Lets look at a dark quote by an esteemed astrophysicist.

9:30
    I am NOT a drooling, blithering idiot!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

26. Post #66
    August 2011
    152 Posts
    Those pictures in the voyager may not say everything, but they still each 'speak a thousand words'.
    ~so deep~

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,065 Posts
    good thing we didn't leave anyone in there

that would be fucking terrifying even if you could get back safely

the ultimate loneliness
    Yeah, this kind of thing always reminds me of this depressing comic:

:(

Seriously though, this is an awesome achievement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 25Agree Agree x 5 (list)

28. Post #68
    April 2007
    1,490 Posts
    Achievement earned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,714 Posts
    Moving aside from the probe itself, think about all the radio transmissions to leave earth.. If any new species was to hear them.. they'd hear them in order of being broadcast, and assuming they have any understanding or means to translate our languages they'd hear about the atrocities committed during WW2 first..

I would be more worried if the aliens didn't have a similar experience in their own history. I doubt that kind of behavior would be limited to humans only, no doubt it would be something that happens in history (amongst other species that is)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

30. Post #70
    Der Führer
    January 2011
    4,108 Posts
    something that's always amused me is the chance that an ultra-intelligant race of aliens does happen upon the voyager, and the disk inside, but has no idea how to read the data on it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #71
    You just described what does make it useful. The golden record tells what we are. We can't explain everything in detail, so we just show a picture and let them figure it out. Compare it to cave drawings. It described the every day life a the dawn of mankind. It didn't contain blueprints on how in the world they build stonehenge. For an alien species, that picture will contain a wealth of information.
    The thing is though is that we know when we look at cave paintings what's a man and what's a buffalo. The aliens could look at that bunch of bananas and decide we're a species of psychic yellow fruit - and that's if they can decode the photo in the first place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #72
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,738 Posts
    Does the Voyage have the human texts and stuff on it? Like what some of our probes have that have like text in 12 different languages, pictures of Earth and our solar system etc?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 3 (list)

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    4,239 Posts
    good thing we didn't leave anyone in there

that would be fucking terrifying even if you could get back safely

the ultimate loneliness

I guess there was a reason they sent it off with this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

34. Post #74
    February 2010
    5,498 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #75
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,180 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 13Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,864 Posts
    OPs Avatar + Title + First 3 words.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Late Late x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,981 Posts
    And now we wait for aliens.
    I for one welcome our impending alien slave-driving dictators.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    Dennab
    May 2012
    990 Posts
    Imagine it "pops" the heliosphere
    Dude I was thinking the exact same thing.

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    6,734 Posts
    It always makes me sad how Carl Sagan never got to see the release of this movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

40. Post #80
    December 2009
    1,866 Posts
    It's funny, cause when people say "I've lost faith in all of humanity" they are either joking or being stupid. It is stupid to say shit like that when you look at the history of humanity and see all the cool stuff we've done, and this here my friends, this is just quite possibly one of the greatest achievements we have ever accomplished. This is truly spectacular, well done humanity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)