1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,287 Posts
    Holy shit I wonder how far it can go until it don't give away signals?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    August 2009
    1,046 Posts
    Think about it for a moment: The Voyager is out in space, billions of miles away. Even Sol is just a small spot among the million stars dotting the void around it. It floats in silence, shrouded in pitch darkness, surrounded by literally nothing at all, getting further and further away from Earth, its place of creation, and it will never return. It will keep on moving, provided nothing gets in its way, even if it ceases to function and will be only a hunk of useless metal, maybe even when Earth and Sol exists no more. A single, cosmic testatement that mankind exists.
    What if there is already some piece of metal that comes from a civilization similar to Earth's that is floating around in the vast universe that no one will ever find.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,573 Posts
    -snip-

4. Post #124
    March 2012
    1,701 Posts
    Oh god I hope they find the Destiny crew.

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,593 Posts
    They could have given us humans a bigger schlong. Now everyone is going to laughing at our small space dicks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Funny Funny x 19 (list)

6. Post #126
    Dennab
    April 2010
    2,092 Posts
    They could have given us humans a bigger schlong. Now everyone is going to laughing at our small space dicks.
    Or maybe we have the biggest dicks in this Galaxy!

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    5,081 Posts
    Or maybe we have the biggest dicks in this Galaxy!
    Or maybe we are the only species that has dicks in this Galaxy. Then it would just be some strange thing hanging there doing nothing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    YOu know that we are deciphering ancient languages that noone has spoken or read for hundreds or thousands of years too, right?
    The problem is not reading the symbols, or seeing patterns, the problem is having enough material to make cross references.

And AT BEST they would totally understand what a foreign species would try to send into space because any civilization smart enough to discover our probe is PROBABLY(unlike you) smart enough to think about the process of thought behind simple drawings and data on a thousands of years old machine launched into space(because it will take thousands of years for it to reach any area in space that isn't empty).

ALso your first two sentences do not make any logical sense. I need to decipher them.
    You want to give me a citation for these languages that no one has spoken or read for thousands of years, and yet we understand perfectly well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,497 Posts
    Who knows, maybe after humanity is gone Voyager 1 will be the only thing that remains of us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,420 Posts
    Even if we did it's a very exorbitant waste of money, in terms of a financial viewpoint.
    Still I can't believe this (Or very soon anyway) is the most important date in humanity's history.
    Not sure why this got dumbs, from a completely financial point, there is no new data you could get from launching another 'Voyager' journey and launching these things aren't exactly cheap.

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,980 Posts
    All you people saying, "We shouldn't assume they know how to use it...!" Are you serious? You're just as ignorant for saying that as anyone else is for making ANY assumptions on the subject. We know zip, zero, nada about who/what will find the disc, so stop making stupid assumptions based on no evidence whatsoever. No, we don't know if they'll be able to read it. Who cares? If they can, awesome, if not, whatever. How were scientists at the time supposed to make ANYTHING for an alien to read? Do you have a better suggestion?

Edited:

You want to give me a citation for these languages that no one has spoken or read for thousands of years, and yet we understand perfectly well?
    Have you not taken a single world history course? Google is your friend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    I've looked at the things on the disk. Wow, I could imagine seeing those as cave drawings. It's so surreal. And the sounds they included. Cimps, Volcanos, Thunder, wolves howling. So creepy. Imagine if one day we intercepted something like that and were able to decode it.

Also, if you don't think a super intelligent race farther than our own could be able to decode it, you need to watch that video on the other page. We are 1% different in DNA from chimps but our intelligence differs GREATLY. Imagine if an alien found the disk that was 1% different and smarter than us, imagine how incredibly advanced they'd be. Like the video said, quantum mechanics would be like arithmetic.
    Yeah, if I was on an alien starship and we one day found this probe that recorded all this stuff, I have to be honest, I'd be fucking terrified that we just stumbled upon the gravestone of a species. Think about it, all the records of Earth at the time, locations and starmaps. Like the race was going to die and just sent out something to record that it was there.

It'd seem like an ARG, like we stumbled upon something deliberately terrifying. Just imagine an alien ship travelling through space, routinely, and they find a fairly outdated probe that's got animal noises and pictograms.

13. Post #133
    November 2010
    1,338 Posts
    If we send another Voyager out, we should put Justin Bieber in with everything, let another civilization put up with him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    January 2012
    45 Posts
    Now we find out if the rest of space is actually real and not just a giant painting that God put up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    April 2011
    648 Posts
    amazing to think a human will never see voyager 1 again (possibly).

16. Post #136
    into things like this - if you know what
    Dennab
    December 2011
    4,031 Posts
    So much space these days
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,175 Posts
    So much space these days
    Nothing wrong with that.

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,793 Posts
    It's more likely it'll encounter a mechanical failure before that happens. As long as it's still in clear space, it'll probably be able to send signals. It's 16 hours at present, since radio signals travel at the speed of light, although the delay will get gradually longer and longer.

Looking it up now, it looks like it'll probably end up shutting down entirely sometime between 2025 and 2030, although it says that its Digital Tape Recorder is scheduled to turn off in 2015.

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    1,806 Posts
    The RTGs on Voyager 1 are expected to output enough juice for science operations till around 2025.

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    830 Posts
    And naturally, next to no media is picking up this story.

- At least not in Denmark.
    Quite typical.

21. Post #141
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,175 Posts
    And naturally, next to no media is picking up this story.

- At least not in Denmark.
    Quite typical.
    Could have something to do with the fact that it's actually still within the heliosheath (but very close to exiting it, but it's been "pretty close" to exiting it for a while, timescale in Space is different than timescale on Earth).

Dailymail is not exactly known for accuracy or being early.

22. Post #142
    into things like this - if you know what
    Dennab
    December 2011
    4,031 Posts
    Never found space interresting until this website made me read about it, alot

23. Post #143
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,707 Posts
    Yep.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    514 Posts
    Maybe what they learn outside the solar system will drastically change science. We can only speculate as to what is out there presently. We found that the Heliosphere was completely different than they thought it was just recently from information we received from these craft. Would they actually let us know what they find if it proves science is wrong about the area outside our solar bubble? Maybe Voyager will appear on the far side of the heliosphere, maybe they'll find air who knows?