1. Post #1
    Half Life 2: Call of Duty meets Minecraft

February 2012
    14,266 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Winner x 33Dumb x 7Funny x 2Informative x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Well, this is gonna be interesting. Can't wait to see how this model plays out, looks like CCP is handling microtransactions differently.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 29 (list)

3. Post #3
    The dirty console peasants down in the mud doing the dirty work for the glorious PC master race capsuleer gods roaming the cosmos in vast, shiny spaceships. Just as it should be.

Can't wait
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 21Funny Funny x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    4,732 Posts
    It's a pity this isn't on PC.

It's nice to see EVE spreading though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 24Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    It's just like eve itself. because of this exact reason, this wont appeal to 12 year olds. Hopefully it'll attract more mature guys who actually use tactics and value their character's life. You train that character, give him weapons and materials, etc. Just like a real soldier, you don't want him to die in 10 seconds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2009
    3,936 Posts
    It's part of Eve, if it wasn't like that we'd have a problem
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    Black Box Lover and Enthusiast
    August 2007
    8,411 Posts
    For pennies? So now we have nanotransactions

Neat concept though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,017 Posts
    This seems like a very good model for games that want players to seriously invest value in the well being of their characters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    20,285 Posts
    24 cents a life? Even for a dedicated gamer, 100 deaths means basically $25. I've died that much in a single sitting of TF2. If it's 24 cents per 100 then that's a bit more reasonable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,716 Posts
    And then the dirty console peasants fire a giant fuck-off laser that instapops a dreadnought

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    January 2010
    2,724 Posts
    24 cents a life? Even for a dedicated gamer, 100 deaths means basically $25. I've died that much in a single sitting of TF2. If it's 24 cents per 100 then that's a bit more reasonable
    No, 24 cents per 100 deaths is dirt cheap and a steal. I'd imagine those 100 lives would last about 2-3 hours or more so long as you're not directly running into enemy fire. But I'd imagine 20 dollars per 100 would be a bit more reasonable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2012
    3,417 Posts
    This is for the best gear right? You don't have to buy this stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

13. Post #13
    January 2009
    3,936 Posts
    Yeah it's not 24 cents per life, it's a single loadout of the best microtransaction gear is 24 cents, but you buy it in bulk.
    And from what I've heard from the beta, the purchased gear isn't mechanically better, just easier to use/fit. Beyond viable to play free
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,716 Posts
    Yeah it's not 24 cents per life, it's a single loadout of the best microtransaction gear is 24 cents, but you buy it in bulk.
    And every time you die you lose 1 copy of that loadout (which is 24 cents)

So effectively you do have to pay 24 cents per life for the good stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    You can buy regular yet great weapons with regular isk too, which is earned in game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    So it's basically like buying any weapon/armor in a F2P MMO, except instead of some durability stat, they just give you a bunch and you lose one each life. The difference seems pretty negligible honestly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    14,649 Posts
    So will this trait spread to say buyable weapons?

Like lets say I spend 1000 credits or whatever EVE universe uses for moneys on a gun, and I promptly step outside my base and die for some lame reason, would I lose the gun I spent my money on?

If thats the case that could kill the game for me...

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,253 Posts
    this isn't TF2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22Informative Informative x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    June 2010
    3,836 Posts
    I really like the die-and-lose-your-shit concept. It makes players less gung-ho and more cautious about how to approach a situation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,447 Posts
    So will this trait spread to say buyable weapons?

Like lets say I spend 1000 credits or whatever EVE universe uses for moneys on a gun, and I promptly step outside my base and die for some lame reason, would I lose the gun I spent my money on?

If thats the case that could kill the game for me...
    Yes, you would lose the gun forever.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    14,649 Posts
    Yes, you would lose the gun forever.
    They better make getting money easy as fuck in the game then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    I could understand this model on the PC but I have a terrible feeling console players will turn this game into a camping trip simulator.

"I don't want to lose all my shit, better just sit in this corner." Meanwhile nothing gets done for the EVE players, they get pissed and stop pushing funds for 514 operations, fewer online matches, playerbase dwindles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

23. Post #23
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,772 Posts
    "Cool, cant wait to see this."

PS3-Exclusive

"Fuck"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

24. Post #24
    August 2010
    4,074 Posts
    I think the difference is that with TF2 all you lose is a few seconds of play. You die and have to wait for the respawn timer and then you can go off and do things again, where as in Dust, if you die you lose everything on that character. At least according to the article.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    I feel the need to point out that, in the name of ensuring the micro transactions weren't game breaking, they fit the devs out in the best equipment, and brought in some "pro" FPS player who used the rookie stuff.

The pros won.

Edited:

I could understand this model on the PC but I have a terrible feeling console players will turn this game into a camping trip simulator.

"I don't want to lose all my shit, better just sit in this corner." Meanwhile nothing gets done for the EVE players, they get pissed and stop pushing funds for 514 operations, fewer online matches, playerbase dwindles.
    The games are totally independant. Which is to say that, while they can interact, if EVE were to die before Dust, Dust could carry on, and vice-versa.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,519 Posts
    However, that is only the case if you choose to pay for your loadouts with real money. Given that in EVE it is possible for a player to pay for their subscription with only in game earnings, it is almost certain that DUST players can earn sufficient ISK to buy these suits without needing to blow 25 dollars on 100 of them.

In addition, it's 24 cents for one of the most high end suits possible. Given the huge price differences between tech 1 ships and tech 2 ships in EVE (a tech 2 variant on a 300,000 ISK frigate can go for tens of millions) I doubt normal suits will be anywhere near that much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,067 Posts
    I'd much rather just pay for the game than have these microtransactions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    11,046 Posts
    It's a shame Microsoft were fucking faggots about gamertags so we don't get this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

29. Post #29
    It's likely that the corporations you're with will be spending the money on this equipment if you're with a big enough corp anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    It's likely that the corporations you're with will be spending the money on this equipment if you're with a big enough corp anyway.
    True dis, planets are worth enough that paying a couple hundred million to pay for all your merc's equipment is a decent investment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are.
    March 2008
    4,550 Posts
    I'm wondering if specific players can be targeted for bombardment. Would be interesting to see the effects of a 1400mm shell on a single man.

Also, it would be interesting if drones could get involved too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,899 Posts
    "I don't want to lose all my shit, better just sit in this corner."
    The ships can do airstrikes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

33. Post #33
    I'd buy that for a dollar
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,876 Posts
    It's just like eve itself. because of this exact reason, this wont appeal to 12 year olds. Hopefully it'll attract more mature guys who actually use tactics and value their character's life. You train that character, give him weapons and materials, etc. Just like a real soldier, you don't want him to die in 10 seconds.
    Except in eve ships are worth literally thousands of dollars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    Except in eve ships are worth literally thousands of dollars.
    You don't pay for them with real money, though. Unless you count your subscription fee.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #35
    July 2011
    6,143 Posts
    This is either going to really really well or fail really hard.

Everything I read about this game makes me wonder why it isn't on PC too, seems like a waste.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    For pennies? So now we have nanotransactions

Neat concept though
    Can't wait for picotransactions, fractions of pennies.

How much is 0.24 USD in ISK?

Edited:

Just found it's a little over 6 million. I make that in 15 minutes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    smelly member
    June 2005
    7,144 Posts
    So I'm confused. They were buying this stuff for real money? But in the game it's going to be made by EVE players or something, right?

Edited:

I do like this though. It actually gives your virtual life some worth. That's the problem I find in a lot of shooters that are trying to be realistic (obviously this one isn't), where you could totally do something that you wouldn't do in real life because you wouldn't want to die. Like Jihad-jeeping
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    20,285 Posts
    I think the difference is that with TF2 all you lose is a few seconds of play. You die and have to wait for the respawn timer and then you can go off and do things again, where as in Dust, if you die you lose everything on that character. At least according to the article.
    Which would be fine and all, but from what I've seen the gameplay more or less resembles Team Fortress or Counter Strike, rather than say, Arma. If it was Arma like I could see paying 24 cents per life on load outs, but if it was like TF, CS, your basic arena type shooter, then that would bleed you worse than your local arcade

39. Post #39
    January 2009
    3,936 Posts
    Which would be fine and all, but from what I've seen the gameplay more or less resembles Team Fortress or Counter Strike, rather than say, Arma. If it was Arma like I could see paying 24 cents per life on load outs, but if it was like TF, CS, your basic arena type shooter, then that would bleed you worse than your local arcade
    I've heard from people in the beta that it's very possible to play smart and safe.
    Not to mention you *don't have to use that gear for every random skirmish. Save it for the fights that matter, and use the high-end normal gear most of the time. The saying holds true on the ground as well as in space: Don't use what you aren't prepared to lose.

40. Post #40
    This is either going to really really well or fail really hard.

Everything I read about this game makes me wonder why it isn't on PC too, seems like a waste.
    I think it was a really stupid idea not to also develop the game for PC. I don't like to generalise console gamers, as I am an occasional one myself, but I feel that the kind of people that consoles tend to appeal to won't suit the game's target audience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)