1. Post #1
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts

A Surrey, B.C., man is suing the Apple computer company for $25,000 after his Time Capsule backup drive crashed, taking with it a year of photographs including those showing the birth of his first child.

In his suit filed in B.C.'s small claims court, Perminder Tung says he bought the Apple Time Capsule in June 2009 and used it to back up two MacBooks and an iPhone.

It failed last month, he alleges, and when he took it back to the Apple Store, he was told the data was lost and irretrievable.

Tung alleges he was also told at the store that the product had numerous issues related to defects in the design and the power supply.

He says he was told Apple had issued a recall notice for the Time Capsule, but his particular model was outside of the recall's time frame.

Tung, who is a lawyer, says he's since learned of many other Time Capsule failures, which have spawned online forums, a memorial register and dubious fix-it yourself videos.

In his claim, Tung is suing Apple Canada for just over $25,000 to replace the hardware and to compensate him for the loss of recorded memories like the birth of his first child.

"The defect with the Time Capsules, which invariably destroyed the stored data, amounts to a fundamental and total breach of contract. The alleged 'Time Capsule' did not encapsulate and protect the information it was intended to secure. The breach destroyed the workable character of the thing sold," says Tung in his claim.

Back up your backups

Apple Canada did not return calls from the CBC, but technology guru Tod Maffin says the suit is just proof computer users need to back up data multiple times.

"Really, it's incumbent on the user to protect their data, especially if that data is important from a business or a really personal point of view," says Maffin.

He notes that precious mementoes in life are no longer as durable as they once were.

"It used to be that the products we would make were industrial era, they were physical things, and increasingly in this information economy what we produce as a society doesn't exist in physical form."

"It exists in bits and bytes, so it is even more important that we use many of these services, some of which are even free these days, to back up your computer."
    **SOURCE**

The idea around the Time Capsule is fantastic and I will admit Apple did an excellent job at deploying it even if it is just a glorified NAS. I also do agree that it's horribly designed. It has no ventilation so if the power supply does not burn out, the desktop grade SATA hard drive does.
    Also, the recommendation to backup your backup is stupid for 80% of consumers since it's dumb and expensive to buy a second Time Capsule to backup your other Time Capsule. I'm part of the 20% that does have multiple backups because I know what the fuck LTO3 Ultrium is and how to schedule weekly backups.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner x 95Funny x 10Friendly x 7Dumb x 5Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,749 Posts
    What I'm wondering is why the hell did he store the only photos of the birth of his first child in one place
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 86 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2009
    3,888 Posts
    Why is this news?

(User was banned for this post ("Why reply?" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 38Agree x 4Funny x 2Winner x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Why is this news?
    Because some people might find it interesting or like reading such things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 44Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    November 2009
    3,888 Posts
    Because some people might find it interesting or like reading such things.
    Interesting or not, it's such a trivial incident.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 40Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,573 Posts
    It's incredible how often we see news about these failing, Even more amazing how Apple didn't recalled all of them already instead of the ones in the time frame, or at least provided a fix for the terrible hard drive choice considering how long it's been on the market
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,316 Posts
    You would have thought Apple would put some thought into ventilation on the Time Capsule, they manage to vent a obscenely thin netbook with quite some success, but a glorified NAS can't be? PSUs and hard drives produce a lot of heat, the hard drive especially. How did their engineers not think to add more ventilation?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

8. Post #8
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    11,236 Posts
    I could just go on and on about this luser's stupidity.

1. Why did he NOT go to a place like DriveSavers (even if it's expensive as hell)?
    2. Why didn't he do his research before buying a TC?
    3. All drives fail at one point or another, so would you sue Seagate, WD, or any of the other drive manufacturers if your drive failed?

I'll go into detail in the morning, got to go. Overall, it's the user's stupidity that's to blame.

(and to OP, box is not for you, it's for the story)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 45Agree Agree x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,543 Posts
    Wait, if I read correctly "two MacBooks and an iPhone"

So wouldn't those photos been taken on an iPhone therefore suggesting they're still stored on it? Or did he wipe it and backed up to the time capsule?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    January 2009
    3,888 Posts
    Also, the recommendation to backup your backup is stupid for 80% of consumers since it's dumb and expensive to buy a second Time Capsule to backup your other Time Capsule.
    Pretty sure the idea is to have your multiple backups on different systems
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    Isn't it generally considered wise to have more than one backup?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

12. Post #12
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    11,236 Posts
    Pretty sure the idea is to have your multiple backups on different systems
    And an offsite copy (for example, bank deposit box, workplace, etc).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

13. Post #13
    It's time to unban Banshee Friend
    Dennab
    April 2011
    5,915 Posts
    Yeah, finally Apple is the one getting sued.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 6Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,611 Posts
    Jesus for 25k he could probably send it to a forensics lab and have everything he has ever stored on it recovered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

15. Post #15
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,873 Posts
    It has no ventilation so if the power supply does not burn out, the desktop grade SATA hard drive does.
    Given this information, I would say that this is a good lawsuit. The design sounds critically flawed and irresponsible to sell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

16. Post #16
    November 2009
    1,962 Posts
    Apple is going to patent the lawsuit now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,145 Posts
    I did some quick research on this and apparently the 1st gen (2008) and 2nd gen (2009) have a history of death due to overheating.

Plenty of fixes are available like these two sites: https://sites.google.com/site/lapast...capsule-repair http://www.fackrell.me.uk/ The sites go so far as to claim that his data is still fine so I hope he didn't toss it.

Lastly, Apple has admitted those gens were faulty and offered a replacement program back in 2010 but the program ended in 2011. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366345,00.asp

Considering Apple did do a recall I don't know if this will hold in court.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,580 Posts
    In his suit filed in B.C.'s small claims court, Perminder Tung says he bought the Apple Time Capsule in June 2009 and used it to back up two MacBooks and an iPhone.
    And yet you ONLY stored those pictures on the Time Capsule?

People who backup shit in one location are almost asking to lose it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    June 2010
    2,153 Posts
    If it's only stored in one location is it even counted as a backup?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,250 Posts
    You would have thought Apple would put some thought into ventilation on the Time Capsule, they manage to vent a obscenely thin netbook with quite some success, but a glorified NAS can't be? PSUs and hard drives produce a lot of heat, the hard drive especially. How did their engineers not think to add more ventilation?
    Are you sure about that? AFAIK macbooks had massive problems with overheating - as was the case with all of the people I've known to have macbooks (one of my friends even shipped without thermal paste on it), it'd be weird if their macbooks were overheating and their macbook airs were not
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,447 Posts
    Hmm, I always thought these things had RAID or something. Using this isn't any physically different than backing up files to an external.. Why would you waste your money on a networked external hard drive with fancy software?

22. Post #22
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Nearly every Apple computer has had a severe overheating problem, even the Apple III would melt floppy disks in its drive.

Macbooks regularly reach an excess of 90 degrees under the slightest bit of strain, its hilarious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Because Apple marketing has a huge boner for flawless white surfaces, no matter how much it will fuck with the engineers trying to design it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,250 Posts
    Nearly every Apple computer has had a severe overheating problem, even the Apple III would melt floppy disks in its drive.

Macbooks regularly reach an excess of 90 degrees under the slightest bit of strain, its hilarious.
    One of my friends has a macbook, and playing minecraft for any period of time longer than an hour causes it to shut down
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Can't you store photos on the iCloud if you have an Apple product? Seems kind of stupid to keep relatively small files such as photos in one place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    One of my friends has a macbook, and playing minecraft for any period of time longer than an hour causes it to shut down
    Form over function.

Low fan speed = quiet + thermonuclear temperatures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    5,101 Posts
    He should keep the files on his computers, too. That's like the whole point of a backup, so you have two copies of things if one of them fails. Having mission critical data on only your backup drive and not your primary machine is exactly the same as not having a backup drive at all, you dolt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,235 Posts
    Why is it even called Time Capsule if it can't hold more than 4 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Germany Show Events Zing Zing x 6 (list)

29. Post #29
    August 2011
    2,772 Posts
    Did he expect the hard disk to last forever? That's pretty dumb to have a "backup" which is in fact the only copy of the files. He could at least have kept the data on his computer or have burnt a CD. It's not like there are 100 GB of photographs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    5,973 Posts
    Back up your backups
    This.

Seriously, who stores virtual backups on only one place, electronics are fragile and don't last forever, even information in pen drives only last 10 years.

31. Post #31
    June 2010
    9,073 Posts
    Form over function.

Low fan speed = quiet + thermonuclear temperatures.
    The older macbooks sound like vacuum cleaners or motorcycles vv
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Slap a Dyson logo on one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Sometimes i fall down :(
    July 2008
    3,196 Posts
    These things suck. My dad bought 2 of them. Both broke at about the same time, which was a year.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,664 Posts
    I'm all for suing Apple, but can't it be for a legitimate, non-stupid reason?

Seriously, if you have pictures THAT precious to you, just store it in more than one place. Its not that difficult.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,509 Posts
    RAID 5 master race

36. Post #36
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    They must suck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Today is 'lose your backups and have your HDD crash' day isn't it?

Jwz was right, "The universe tends toward maximum irony." considering I've spent the past few hours recovering my data after foolishly deleting my nightly backups. Just so happens that the one day I don't have backups, my hard drive fails.

38. Post #38
    June 2010
    9,073 Posts
    They must suck.
    My friend had a C2D MBP that sounds like a vacuum cleaner and hits like 103c or more under load.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,857 Posts
    What I'm wondering is why the hell did he store the only photos of the birth of his first child in one place
    I've seen the adverts for these 'time capsules' and thats the whole point. The idea is that they won't fail and you can hence rely on them.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,580 Posts
    I've seen the adverts for these 'time capsules' and thats the whole point. The idea is that they won't fail and you can hence rely on them.
    What sane person relies on one (UND PRECISELY VON!) storage device for important/very cherished things?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)