1. Post #241
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,086 Posts
    brilliant, in order for the character to evolve she must be sexually assaulted!
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Salander, who is under state legal guardianship due to diagnosed mental incompetency, is appointed a new guardian, lawyer Nils Bjurman (Yorick van Wageningen). He abuses his authority to extort sexual favors from Salander and then forcibly rapes her. She eventually regains control of her life by blackmailing Bjurman after stunning him with a taser, raping him with a dildo, and marking him as a rapist with a tattoo on his chest and stomach.
    Film aggregator Rotten Tomatoes has reported that 87% of 212 critics who have reviewed the film have reviewed it positively. The site's consensus states: "Brutal yet captivating, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the result of David Fincher working at his lurid best with total role commitment from star Rooney Mara."[29] Critical aggregator Metacritic awarded the film a score of 71 out of 100, aggregating the reviews of 41 critics, and describing the consensus as "generally favorable reviews".[30]
    Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times gave the film a rating of 3.5/4, particularly praising Rooney Mara's performance. "It has been a fascination with the lean, fierce Salander that draws me into the 'Girl' movies. We know horrible things happened to her earlier in life that explain her anger and proud isolation."
    oh look it's rape as character development, except it's in a film so people ate that shit up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #242
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,251 Posts
    'Tomb Raider' executive producer Ron Rosenberg has announced that the lead character Lara Croft will be the victim of a potential rape in an upcoming release of the popular video game.
    She isnt actually going to be raped, just they obviously want to.

She is literally turned into a cornered animal. Its a huge step in her evolution: shes forced to either fight back or die.
    I dont really understand this, how is a bunch of people running after her wanting to rape and kill her any different from being chased by a bunch of people wanting to kill her like as usual?

Unless she actually was raped which would affect her as a character some way but that obviously isnt going to happen.

3. Post #243
    I paid $999.99 for a forum upgrade and all I got was a beating from my mother :(
    February 2005
    16,997 Posts
    I'm suspecting there will be a QTE during that rape event.

4. Post #244
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,051 Posts
    If the real scene is anything like the trailer, it won't even be controversial in the slightest. On top of that, why are most of you guys on FP so horribly against this? Why is it OK for books like American Psycho and movies like A Serbian Film to be horrible and sadistic, but the minute a game even approaches anything remotely uncomfortable, you all talk about how it's 'too far' and 'dumb'.

5. Post #245
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,643 Posts
    I'm suspecting there will be a QTE during that rape event.
    there is

it's a p. stupid way of handling it but w/e

6. Post #246
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    10,736 Posts
    If the real scene is anything like the trailer, it won't even be controversial in the slightest. On top of that, why are most of you guys on FP so horribly against this? Why is it OK for books like American Psycho and movies like A Serbian Film to be horrible and sadistic, but the minute a game even approaches anything remotely uncomfortable, you all talk about how it's 'too far' and 'dumb'.
    A Serbian Film was not ok, it should be kept away from the general public as much as possible. That said, different mediums have different tolerances. Things such as cutting someone apart with a Chainsaw even American Psycho and Scarface don't make too explicit, yet it's a relatively common thing in games. Rape and sexual things aren't touched much because of how poorly games handle them, and I can imagine this won't be any better.
    there is

it's a p. stupid way of handling it but w/e
    I think I'd prefer a QTE to a mini-game about being raped. Probably emphasize the lack of choice and necessity of reaction over a distancing cutscene or something a bit weirder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #247
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    I don't see what the big issue with this is, there are movies and tv shows where rape is shown in a way more explicit way than what this is supposed to be, just saying "we're gonna have some fun with you" while keeping her captive gives any grown up enough person a hint that they're gonna rape her, but when it happens in a movie it's no big deal, afaik both games and movies are entertainment, sure games give you more freedom of interaction but it's not like you're going to be playing the rapist.

8. Post #248
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,582 Posts
    I'm just going to throw this in here.
    How can the protagonist, that is, the supposed good guy of the story, brutally killing thousands of people in a video game be completely fine, yet the protagonist almost being raped be so wrong, especially when it is used to develop the protagonist's character?

9. Post #249
    January 2012
    739 Posts
    Burning hot stupid
    What the fuck are you even

10. Post #250
    How can the protagonist, that is, the supposed good guy of the story, brutally killing thousands of people in a video game be completely fine, yet the protagonist almost being raped be so wrong?
    Because we've been exposed to vidoegame murder for far longer than videogame rape. Also that murder is ok as long as it's for a glorious cause.

11. Post #251
    January 2012
    739 Posts
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

oh look it's rape as character development, except it's in a film so people ate that shit up
    Here is a film that also uses the same technique and is popular, therefore the people who think it is a stupid idea for this game probably like this film and therefore are stupid hypocrites. hurr durrr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #252
    August 2009
    9,073 Posts
    I love how they say they are now trying to make Lara a down to earth and not a sexy boob machine. I think she is actually hotter than ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #253
    taste the salty dong
    September 2009
    1,821 Posts
    I'm okay with this.

14. Post #254
    Dennab
    June 2012
    1,199 Posts
    I know they're doing that for powerful emotional effect but christ the thought of rape makes me want to puke.
    if a video game rape makes you want to puke i would love to see how you handle things that happen in real life

Edited:

why do you want rape normalized in games? you're really doing my head in mate.

Doom is clean by today's standards because it's so hilariously unrealistic. you might be too young but nobody was affected by Doom even when it came out because of how unrealistic it was.

sure it was the most graphic thing we saw at that point, but like i've laid out before how graphic something is doesn't have anything to do with how powerful murder would be emotionally. i'm affected by a murder in a book if it's presented in a realistic way.
    you do not understand sarcasm, please don't degrade other people because you don't understand.

15. Post #255
    September 2010
    1,453 Posts
    I'm more insulted by how cliche this has become in action movies and the like, its pretty degrading.

16. Post #256
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    10,736 Posts
    I don't see what the big issue with this is, there are movies and tv shows where rape is shown in a way more explicit way than what this is supposed to be, just saying "we're gonna have some fun with you" while keeping her captive gives any grown up enough person a hint that they're gonna rape her, but when it happens in a movie it's no big deal, afaik both games and movies are entertainment, sure games give you more freedom of interaction but it's not like you're going to be playing the rapist.
    Same reason it's a million times scarier playing Amnesia than watching someone else play it or watching a similar movie. For a movie you can distance yourself and shut down, in a game that gets you fucked up so you have to keep your head in it. Watching someone get raped you don't have to think, in a game you do, and it resonates a lot more. Also games = shit at handling sex, see GTA:SA Hot Coffee.
    How can the protagonist, that is, the supposed good guy of the story, brutally killing thousands of people in a video game be completely fine, yet the protagonist almost being raped be so wrong, especially when it is used to develop the protagonist's character?
    Because death is desensitised in games just from being systemised. Save for the post-Nuke part in CoD4 or the post-traumatic stress induced by Red Orchestra 2, it's far from the realistic act of killing people. Look at deaths of major characters as part of the story, now make it something that isn't so much sacrifice-noble-death bullshit and more traumatic, for your character, and you have to keep playing as them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #257
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    And everyone laughed when it happened to the black guy in Pulp Fiction...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #258
    i have to ask, why do people find rape in movies alright(which is normally real people, even if it's just acted. it's still real people simulating a horrific act), yet the minute a game seems to even hint at rape, people flip their shit and say it's too far?

19. Post #259
    April 2010
    2,366 Posts
    so what if i don't "help" her....do i get to see lara croft get raped?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

20. Post #260
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,879 Posts
    Who cares, it's a video game.
    There have been rape scenes in every kind of media, why do people freak out about this? There has been rape in other video games you know.
    While I don't feel they should have the need to have rape to show depth of character or whatever, it's their story, I don't care.

21. Post #261
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Because rape is (arguably) up there in terms of being the ultimate form of physical and mental torture. It can physically and mentally destroy someone for the rest of their life.

A person who is dead no longer feels anything. A rape victim is haunted for the rest of their life.
    So the torture scene at the start of World at War was unacceptable? I mean, watching a guy have a cigarette shoved into his eye is pretty fucked up. Or, better yet, how about any of the atrocities we commit as gamers?

If gaming is to advance much as movies have and become a more intriguing form of entertainment and storytelling, then audiences should embrace games approaching reality a bit more. We've had games where heroes go on for years of killing aliens and shit without ever taking a wound. That doesn't happen in reality. If you're trying to tell a semi-realistic story, indulging in something that happens fairly often and is a very visceral, life-changing event for the sake of the plot is worth it. The characters, story and experience overall tend to be better for it.

22. Post #262
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    2,118 Posts
    Good god where was all this fervor when Heavy Rain came out?

Heavy rain:
    -Forced to strip down at gunpoint
    -Can be "drilled"
    -Rape ninjas

Tomb Raider:
    -Can be dragged out of a tunnel
    -If you get dragged out of the tunnel you get stabbed in the chest.

Replace Laura Croft with Drake and the scene is absolutely the same, there aren't any sexual overtones of dialogue to suggest otherwise.

23. Post #263
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,406 Posts
    Pfft, big deal. The Japanese have been putting rape in their games for years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #264
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,034 Posts
    Pfft, big deal. The Japanese have been putting rape in their games for years.
    please list AAA japanese titles which realistically depict rape
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #265
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,603 Posts
    so what if i don't "help" her....do i get to see lara croft get raped?
    Nope, she just gets stabbed.

Like I said in the News Node thread, I'm fine with this. The only thing I don't like is that one dev's statement that guys will want to "protect" her like some creepy father figure. Fuck that, I want to BE her and PROTECT myself. It's a vastly different scenario, less of a "creepy parent" vibe and more of a "badass survivor" vibe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #266
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,086 Posts
    Like I said in the News Node thread, I'm fine with this. The only thing I don't like is that one dev's statement that guys will want to "protect" her like some creepy father figure. Fuck that, I want to BE her and PROTECT myself. It's a vastly different scenario, less of a "creepy parent" vibe and more of a "badass survivor" vibe.
    yeah now THAT would be something wrong with this, the idea of "protecting" her, totally agree

27. Post #267
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    11,813 Posts
    I guess her tomb will be raided
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Zing Zing x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #268
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    I'm not gonna make any judgments on it until the game is actually out and in my hands. It could be terrible implemented but it could be totally fine.

29. Post #269
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,144 Posts
    I'm making the inference from when she says they are "slow to wake, but once they are up you will have a hard time taking them down"
    She's talking about the combine as a whole, not the ones she just killed/knocked out - she obviously had no trouble with those few.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #270
    I'm fine with that.
    Shit, I'd be fine with it if she actually did get full blown raped.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #271
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,034 Posts
    I'm fine with that.
    facepunch ladies and gentlemen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing x 5Dumb x 2Late x 1Agree x 1Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #272
    facepunch ladies and gentlemen
    I don't want Lara Croft to be raped, like, I'm not sitting there with my dick in my hand, but I'm fine with the fact that they want to put rape in there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #273
    hey
    August 2006
    5,305 Posts
    I'm fine with that.
    seek professional-grade help
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #274
    seek professional-grade help
    oh man I need a therapist I'm okay that something bad could happen to a fictional person

should I also seek help if I'm not up in arms over characters I like in games being murdered
    Edited:
    Okay, let's take for example, Fallout 3.    James is forced to kill himself in an attempt to stop the Enclave from getting control of the purifier. He's forced to commit suicide in front of his own son, who can only stand helpless and watch, and who will be forever scarred from it. It's terrible, it extremely sucks that it happened.
    But it's okay that it did. Not many people enjoyed it. Loads wish it didn't happen, because they like the character. But nobody is up in arms over it, because it's totally fine to make a man kill himself in front of his son in a video game. And it's okay to have a woman get raped in a video game.
    Bad things happen to video game characters too. Deal with it. 

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #275
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,406 Posts
    please list AAA japanese titles which realistically depict rape
    The joke being that saying hentai games include rape is probably missing the point.

36. Post #276
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,591 Posts
    Same reason it's a million times scarier playing Amnesia than watching someone else play it or watching a similar movie. For a movie you can distance yourself and shut down, in a game that gets you fucked up so you have to keep your head in it. Watching someone get raped you don't have to think, in a game you do, and it resonates a lot more. Also games = shit at handling sex, see GTA:SA Hot Coffee.

Because death is desensitised in games just from being systemised. Save for the post-Nuke part in CoD4 or the post-traumatic stress induced by Red Orchestra 2, it's far from the realistic act of killing people. Look at deaths of major characters as part of the story, now make it something that isn't so much sacrifice-noble-death bullshit and more traumatic, for your character, and you have to keep playing as them.
    So your example of games not handling sex well is a removed part of a fairly unserious game from 8 years ago? Video games won't advance as an entertainment medium if there is uproar whenever they try and do something different.

37. Post #277
    It's strange how people say "it's too early for games" bla bla. It will be forever too early if no one does it first. What's the crying about I don't know as rape doesn't happen at all, not even off screen.

38. Post #278
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Mafia 2 has a "rape scene", when the other inmates try to rape the main character in the prison showers, no actual rape happens but it's strongly hinted and just because it's directed at a male character doesn't make it any less controversial as a female one. If Mafia 2 got away with it (and only hinting at it, which is what supposedly is going to be happening in TR) I don't see why Tomb Raider can't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #279
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    Mafia 2 has a "rape scene", when the other inmates try to rape the main character in the prison showers, no actual rape happens but it's strongly hinted and just because it's directed at a male character doesn't make it any less controversial as a female one. If Mafia 2 got away with it (and only hinting at it, which is what supposedly is going to be happening in TR) I don't see why Tomb Raider can't.
    Unfortunately for some people, the fact it's a male does make it less controversial.

40. Post #280
    Unfortunately for some people, the fact it's a male does make it less controversial.
    Because male rape is a joke /sarcasm