1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,250 Posts
    Am I the only one who thinks that this is finally the bold direction they should be taking in this industry

It's finally something not made as a publicity stunt and actually helps develop the character

I guess it's too different in the sense that Lara has always been this strong female lead who was a badass, however that image went right down the drain after the replaced her boobs with skin balloons. Maybe here with different scenarios like these we can finally show that not only does the character have balls, but so does the game

figuratively of course
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    plot element is different from a QTE that is about as subtle as one of the Hostel movies.
    i mean i'm not staunchly against game portrayals of rape, but it's not really the next level in game narrative.
    Unless you're against rape in any form of media, you really can't say this is somehow bad.

If they glorified it or made it purely with shallow intentions, then yes, that would be a adequate problem.

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,250 Posts
    also it's being made a bigger deal than it should be
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    719 Posts
    Putting your female protagonist at the mercy of men worked so well for Samus in The Other M, it must work for Lara Croft!

Didn't they do essentially the same thing with a female superhero, and in the end it horribly tarnished her reputation?
    At the mercy of men? She kicked his ass to oblivion!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #45
    October 2009
    6,220 Posts
    If you think that a slight rape scene in a video game is worse than a scene where you have to kill innocent people, watch your family get murdered, or torture people in other video games, there's a problem.

6. Post #46
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Am I the only one who thinks that this is finally the bold direction they should be taking in this industry
    rape as quick time events??

i think having strong non-convoluted plots and fleshed out characters should be that bold direction
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #47
    October 2009
    6,220 Posts

i think having strong non-convoluted plots and fleshed out characters should be that bold direction
    The only other way to do it would have been pure pre-rendered footage, and that doesn't draw the player in at all. Might as well just watch a movie.

8. Post #48
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    4,463 Posts
    quick time events are not how to draw in the player
    it's like 'oh rad time to watch a cool cutscene *put down da controller* wait fuck!'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

9. Post #49
    June 2012
    60 Posts
    So they shouldn't do X because it makes you feel a little uncomfortable?
    Most people won't feel comfortable with this. The few select few like you who enjoy watching people get raped will still buy it. As for me, if the rape scene was as bad as I initially thought, there's no way I'd buy the game. Nor will most people because they'll see from reviews or the rating on the back that "OH, rape scene" no thanks.
    I choose my movies that way. I don't enjoy movies with a constant theme of sex. So when it says something like that on the rating on the back, I'm not going to rent it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,779 Posts
    Now, if there were actually a depicted RAPE scene in a video game, I'd be all for it being A rated. Heck, I'd applaud Australia for banning it (You know it would happen) but that's just me. I know some of you would be masturbating to the scene of a video game character getting raped on your screen.
    Ever play F.E.A.R. 2? Driving force of the plot is avoiding and containing a ghost which wants to rape you.
       You fail in every way.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts

Why is it that of all the things video games have presented, you draw the line at rape concepts?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #52
    June 2011
    8,576 Posts

You don't know jack shit about the plot or characters, at most we've been shown ten minutes of footage and had a few scraps thrown at us by the developers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,565 Posts
    Here's the thing. Everyone says rape is awful, but rape is no worse than murder, genocide, being forced into prostitution, or whatever.
    Ok, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to point this one line out as it is just fucking stupid.

Rape is physical and mental torture. So much so that many rape victims actually turn to suicide to end the suffering.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #54
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    The only other way to do it would have been pure pre-rendered footage, and that doesn't draw the player in at all. Might as well just watch a movie.
    why are they doing it in the first place besides generate attention and some easy shocks?
    i could see why they'd be desperate, by now there have been so many Tomb Raiders i think even the developers have gotten bored.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,250 Posts
    plus the fact that this small scene isn't the only means to develop the character obviously

not to mention the fact that you prevent it anyways if you play the game

who the fuck puts the controller down in the middle of the cutscene that's just inconvenient
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Why is it that of all the things video games have presented, you draw the line at rape concepts?
    i didn't draw any line, i'm just extremely cynical.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

17. Post #57
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    why are they doing it in the first place besides generate attention and some easy shocks?
    i could see why they'd be desperate, by now there have been so many Tomb Raiders i think even the developers have gotten bored.
    You could use this piss poor argument for ANY concept if you really wanted to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #58
    June 2011
    8,576 Posts
    people got mad pissed with arkham city cus of all the lewd things the inmates said to catwoman
    nothing shown, or even implied. only said by some gross ass prison inmates
    i think games aren't ready to take on stuff like it
    People get mad and offended by everything, it's the way it's been for the last century.

Pretty much every form of entertainment that isn't books or music has been criticized heavily since it's conception.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #59
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    Then be cynical for all that applies or not at all.

Right now it sounds like you're bitching for the sake of bitching.

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    What's the issue here? It's a fucking video game. We can have torture, murder, obliteration of races and societies, wife abuse, anything by H.R Giger, but as soon as one person is a victim of ATTEMPTED rape in a VIDEO GAME it's an issue?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

21. Post #61
    October 2009
    6,220 Posts
    Ok, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to point this one line out as it is just fucking stupid.

Rape is physical and mental torture. So much so that many rape victims actually turn to suicide to end the suffering.
    Are you telling me survivors of the Syrian massacres, or veterans of The Vietnam War got off easy compared to Lara after she was slightly felt up in that video?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Zing Zing x 9 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,250 Posts
    at least you're aware

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,794 Posts
    I think it's good that they're going into darker directions with their characters and I want to see more of it in the future, but I just really doubt it's going to properly help with developing the character.

I want to see games that are unafraid of doing darker stuff to further develop good characters in interesting ways, I just don't think they're going to do this particular example well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #64
    October 2009
    6,220 Posts
    I fail to understand how you could have the audacity to say that watching people die is not mental and physical torture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,565 Posts
    I fail to understand how you could have the audacity to say that watching people die is not mental and physical torture.
    I fail to understand how you can liken rape to prostitution.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12 (list)

26. Post #66
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    4,463 Posts
    People get mad and offended by everything, it's the way it's been for the last century.

Pretty much every form of entertainment that isn't books or music has been criticized heavily since it's conception.
    well maybe it's not videogames, but the audience that is the problem
    either way, both need to mature up before games can attempt to tackle actual issues apart from 'russians are evil' or whatever

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,765 Posts
    Honestly I want to play this scene and get Bad end, Not because I want to watch someone get raped, but to see how far they actually go with it.

Because I expect it to be some softcore copout and this bullshit to be just LOL BUY OUR GAME AND WATCH LARA CROFT GET RAPED LOLOLOLOLOLOL WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THIS HYPE!?

Prove me wrong developers.

28. Post #68
    June 2011
    8,576 Posts
    well maybe it's not videogames, but the audience that is the problem
    either way, both need to mature up before games can attempt to tackle actual issues apart from 'russians are evil' or whatever
    "Russians are evil" isn't exclusive to games, have you watched a movie or read a book made in the last fifty years?

Plus that stuff mostly exists in Call of Duty and Battlefield nowadays, and Battlefield is basically just a parody of COD.

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,779 Posts
    He said forced prostitution.
    That is literally rape with a multiplier strapped to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 10 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,107 Posts

Skip to 2:20 to see what they're talking about. In my opinion, this is all to cause controversy. It's not even that bad because she ends up kicking the dude's ass anyway.

FUCK ME that's intense-looking. I'll be picking this up for sure.

Also crashing Antinov

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,565 Posts
    Honestly I want to play this scene and get Bad end, Not because I want to watch someone get raped, but to see how far they actually go with it.

Because I expect it to be some softcore copout and this bullshit to be just LOL BUY OUR GAME AND WATCH LARA CROFT GET RAPED LOLOLOLOLOLOL WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THIS HYPE!?

Prove me wrong developers.
    In their defense, why would they need to put a high-detail rape cutscene in a series that is about platforming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    Oh my God will everyone shut the fuck up. The scene is on, one of the goons grabs up and gets all up on her, but unless you're a fucktard you'll beat the QTE and Lara survives completely unscathed.

The only reason they're hyping it up as a complete "rape" is for controversy and publicity.

33. Post #73
    June 2011
    8,576 Posts
    In their defense, why would they need to put a high-detail rape cutscene in a series that is about platforming.
    High detail rape scene? What the fuck are you talking about? It's a thirty second at scene at most that involves Lara being touched for two seconds and then a guy being kicked in the dick and shot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #74
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    softcore copout?
    who the fuck is going to animate an actual rape scene? imagine being given that job as an animator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,765 Posts
    they wouldn't, but if you put a rape scene in something it better be at the very least unsettling.

36. Post #76
    October 2009
    6,220 Posts
    You're missing the point. You're saying a video game like, for instance, the original Call of Duty, is somehow better than a game that has any form of rape because rape is "physical and mental torture". Do you understand what PTSD is? Do you, in your sheltered, safe, life, understand that war is so destructive to a persons' mental and emotional safety that some many veterans end up killing themselves because of it? I'm not saying rape is good, but saying that rape is wrong in games but murder and war are okay is ignorance. When you lose a friend to PTSD and he almost commits suicide, you realize that war and killing a man is no joking matter. Maybe you haven't realized that yet.

Go out and talk to a Vietnam War veteran and ask him how fun killing little kids was.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    You're saying a video game like, for instance, the original Call of Duty, is somehow better than a game that has any form of rape
    what the fuck are you talking about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,760 Posts
    She doesn't ACTUALLY get raped.

It says attempted, so it's probably just that bit from the tralier where that bloke starts groping her.

39. Post #79
    June 2011
    8,576 Posts
    How about read the rest of his post?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

40. Post #80
    October 2009
    6,220 Posts
    The whole concept of war. Killing a man.
    It's the same thing as being raped in a video game. You're just desensitized to it because video games have had "killing" since day 1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)