1. Post #81
    November 2008
    863 Posts
    Honestly I want to play this scene and get Bad end, Not because I want to watch someone get raped, but to see how far they actually go with it.

Because I expect it to be some softcore copout and this bullshit to be just LOL BUY OUR GAME AND WATCH LARA CROFT GET RAPED LOLOLOLOLOLOL WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THIS HYPE!?

Prove me wrong developers.
    I hope you're joking, unless you like watching simulated rape. Japan has quite a few games you might like though.

2. Post #82
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,578 Posts
    Ok, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to point this one line out as it is just fucking stupid.

Rape is physical and mental torture. So much so that many rape victims actually turn to suicide to end the suffering.
    jesus christ it's a video game. I don't see anyone bitching about it when it's portrayed in other medias (unless it was badly written)

How about growing up a bit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #83
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    The whole concept of war. Killing a man.
    It's the same thing as being raped in a video game. You're just desensitized to it because video games have had "killing" since day 1.
    okay but he never ever said a game is better than another game just because it lacks a depiction of rape.

i don't know where you got that from
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

4. Post #84
    October 2009
    6,272 Posts
    jesus christ it's a video game

It's not even that it's a video game. It's that he refuses to understand that just because he kills innocent civilians in GTAV for chuckles, that's just as bad as having a game with rape in it. He says that adding rape to it makes it bad because of the effects it has on real victims, yet he refuses to say that war is bad in games, even though victims of war or people who witness murders of family usually develop PTSD and kill themselves just like some rape victims. But of course killing in games is fine because it's been here since the beginning!

I think that killing in games is fine, because it's just a game. That's why I think that a rape in a game is fine too, because to allow one in and not the other is ignorant. Stop making death and killing people sound like it's not an awful thing.

Edited:

okay but he never ever said a game is better than another game just because it lacks a depiction of rape.

i don't know where you got that from
    He said that this crossed the lines. If we really want to argue semantics, lets say that he only likes a select few video games. I will bet money that any game he claims to enjoy involves him killing another player or person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #85
    May 2012
    243 Posts
    I think it's good to include controversial topics like this, if done right it can even be therapeutic to rape victims to see that such topics aren't being shamed and shunned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,669 Posts
    ugh

rape is the new dead parents

want a strong, independent female protagonist? just add rape and she'll be sympathetic and incredibly strong-willed, not to mention incredibly tragic!!!!

it makes me sick that something as incredibly wrong as rape has become such a cliche in works starring female protagonists. If you want to use rape in your story, you have to be really fucking careful about it, otherwise you just come off as a sensationalist pretentious douchebag. You know what the opposite of "being careful" about it is? Going all over news sites and bragging about your rape scene as a selling point. Not to mention said "incredibly sodeep rape scene" is a two-second qte where a man grabs Laura and if you fail the qte she dies. It's that kind of hamfisted treatment that's completely ruining my outlook for this game. Yeah, it looks like a cool game and it could have an interesting story of a "pre-badass" Laura Croft, but god dammit if the first thing you do is hop on the rape train and then start bragging about it in your advertising campaign, all that does is make me not want to support you because you are a gigantic moronic tool.

also

I guess it's too different in the sense that Lara has always been this strong female lead who was a badass, however that image went right down the drain after the replaced her boobs with skin balloons.
    What the fuck are YOU talking about? Laura's always had gigantic knockers, from day one. That's what made her so iconic in the first place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

7. Post #87
    Ask Me About my Castlevania fetish.
    February 2012
    518 Posts
    Please stop throwing this out of proportion. As in the trailer she gets slightly felt up. Then she fights back and kills the guy. For gods sake it probably wont be a QTE. It probably will be a cut-scene. I doubt that they will actually show her getting raped.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #88
    May 2012
    243 Posts
    as in never shining a spotlight on bad things that can happen to people can make them feel more outcast and shamed

Edited:

my automerge :(

9. Post #89
    My dick's so long, if I laid it on my keyboard, it'd reach from A to Z.
    March 2012
    2,165 Posts
    Poor poor video game character
    For the love of God, will someone PLEASE think of the pixels?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

10. Post #90
    October 2009
    6,272 Posts
    ugh

rape is the new dead parents

want a strong, independent female protagonist? just add rape and she'll be sympathetic and incredibly strong-willed, not to mention incredibly tragic!!!!

it makes me sick that something as incredibly wrong as rape has become such a cliche in works starring female protagonists. If you want to use rape in your story, you have to be really fucking careful about it, otherwise you just come off as a sensationalist pretentious douchebag. You know what the opposite of "being careful" about it is? Going all over news sites and bragging about your rape scene as a selling point. Not to mention said "incredibly sodeep rape scene" is a two-second qte where a man grabs Laura and if you fail the qte she dies. It's that kind of hamfisted treatment that's completely ruining my outlook for this game. Yeah, it looks like a cool game and it could have an interesting story of a "pre-badass" Laura Croft, but god dammit if the first thing you do is hop on the rape train and then start bragging about it in your advertising campaign, all that does is make me not want to support you because you are a gigantic moronic tool.

also

What the fuck are YOU talking about? Laura's always had gigantic knockers, from day one. That's what made her so iconic in the first place.
    I don't see any game company, at all, not one, bragging about rape scenes. Hell, I haven't seen a game with a female that was raped. Why is it, like I said before, that rape is incredibly wrong as plot development, but murder is okay? Are you saying that war, murder and death are all hunkie-dorie, PG stuff, but rape is awful? Like I said before, if you step away from the games and look at death from the same standpoint you are with the rape, then you'll see that it's just as bad, if not worse.

11. Post #91
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    4,594 Posts
    jesus christ it's a video game. I don't see anyone bitching about it when it's portrayed in other medias (unless it was badly written)

this is the problem, most videogames are about as well written as a twilight fanfiction
    i think before videogames should depict such heavy stuff, they should be given more time to evolve as a medium and prove that they can handle other issues without hamfisting it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

12. Post #92
    February 2012
    518 Posts
    I don't see any game company, at all, not one, bragging about rape scenes. Hell, I haven't seen a game with a female that was raped. Why is it, like I said before, that rape is incredibly wrong as plot development, but murder is? Are you saying that war, murder and death are all hunkie-dorie, PG stuff, but rape is awful? Like I said before, if you step away from the games and look at death from the same standpoint you are with the rape, then you'll see that it's just as bad, if not worse.
    This whole politically correct thing is bullshit.

13. Post #93
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    He said that this crossed the lines. If we really want to argue semantics, lets say that he only likes a select few video games. I will bet money that any game he claims to enjoy involves him killing another player or person.
    he didn't say any of that, let me recreate this conversation arc for you since you obviously didn't read anything he wrote.

Here's the thing. Everyone says rape is awful, but rape is no worse than murder, genocide, being forced into prostitution, or whatever.
    false equivalency but okay

Ok, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to point this one line out as it is just fucking stupid.

Rape is physical and mental torture. So much so that many rape victims actually turn to suicide to end the suffering.
    and here he points out that false equivalency by saying that the depiction of rape is very different than the depiction of murder in a videogame, to which you reply.

Are you telling me survivors of the Syrian massacres, or veterans of The Vietnam War got off easy compared to Lara after she was slightly felt up in that video?
    which is the craziest response ever!!

there's a huge difference between a survivor of a real massacre and a videogame where you shoot completely unrealistic and non-existent people, and within that the depiction of rape and the emotion it's trying to convey is also completely different from either of those fucking things!!

so WTF?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,669 Posts
    I don't see any game company, at all, not one, bragging about rape scenes. Hell, I haven't seen a game with a female that was raped. Why is it, like I said before, that rape is incredibly wrong as plot development, but murder is? Are you saying that war, murder and death are all hunkie-dorie, PG stuff, but rape is awful? Like I said before, if you step away from the games and look at death from the same standpoint you are with the rape, then you'll see that it's just as bad, if not worse.
    no sir

I'm saying that rape as a part of a woman protagonist's backstory is becoming incredibly cliche, which I do not approve of. It isn't something that people should become desensitized to. The fact that it's a video game has nothing to do with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,885 Posts
    I hope you're joking, unless you like watching simulated rape. Japan has quite a few games you might like though.
    No, If they're going to pull a stunt like this they better back it up or frankly it would be insult to the legitimacy of the medium.

16. Post #96
    October 2009
    6,272 Posts
    This whole politically correct thing is bullshit.
    The only reason they're not okay with rape in games, but they are okay with killing people is because we've been playing games ever since we first started that involved death or killing. Death isn't good, and murder outright is plain disgusting, I think moreso than rape if you look at it from the standpoint of "oh look, some random civilians in GTA, let me run them over." Of course, when we kill all those people, we don't think about it because we've done it all our lives. Now we are shown something different and people freak out. Yeah, rape is bad, but if you're saying it's bad because of the real life implications, then almost every game out there is just as bad because in real life, victims of these things like massacres and genocides are sometimes much worse off than rape victims.

17. Post #97
    June 2011
    2,310 Posts
    Most people won't feel comfortable with this.
    [citation needed]

It feels good knowing people wont buy a game with a rape scene in it but will buy games where you murder tens of hundreds of humans.

18. Post #98
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    I don't see any game company, at all, not one, bragging about rape scenes.
    you're in a thread in which a developer is announcing a depiction of rape in their upcoming game.

unless i'm mistaken and developers want to sabotage their own hype and sales, i'm pretty sure he's trying to convince you that the game is good and worth playing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    February 2012
    518 Posts
    no sir

I'm saying that rape as a part of a woman protagonist's backstory is becoming incredibly cliche, which I do not approve of. It isn't something that people should become desensitized to. The fact that it's a video game has nothing to do with it.
    Rape of a woman in backstory has only been talked about in TV shows. Not once has it been in a video game. In my opinion it is cliche if its backstory. Although, in the moment if it is happening in front of you on a show or game. It causes emotions to come out. That's probably what they are trying for.

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,458 Posts
    no sir

attempted rape is a always a part of a girls rite of passage to womanhood
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

21. Post #101
    October 2009
    6,272 Posts
    no sir

Why can't we be desensitized to rape but we can be desensitized to murder and death? I mean, look at any game. Do you think twice before beheading a guy in Skyrim? Do you think about the kids that are watching in the Jarls' palace? No, because it's a game and you're desensitized to it. Rape is not any worse than murdering a man in front of children.

22. Post #102
    February 2012
    518 Posts
    The only reason they're not okay with rape in games, but they are okay with killing people is because we've been playing games ever since we first started that involved death or killing. Death isn't good, and murder outright is plain disgusting, I think moreso than rape if you look at it from the standpoint of "oh look, some random civilians in GTA, let me run them over." Of course, when we kill all those people, we don't think about it because we've done it all our lives. Now we are shown something different and people freak out. Yeah, rape is bad, but if you're saying it's bad because of the real life implications, then almost every game out there is just as bad because in real life, victims of these things like massacres and genocides are sometimes much worse off than rape victims.
    This goes back to how people cannot accept change. Anything new to them humanity pushes aside or demonizes.

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,669 Posts
    you're in a thread in which a developer is announcing a depiction of rape in their upcoming game.

unless i'm mistaken and developers want to sabotage their own hype and sales, i'm pretty sure he's trying to convince you that the game is good and worth playing
    exactly. if the developers wanted to have it be shocking, they wouldn't be going around to news sites announcing it and citing it as a major part of the game.

24. Post #104
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,578 Posts
    this is the problem, most videogames are about as well written as a twilight fanfiction
    i think before videogames should depict such heavy stuff, they should be given more time to evolve as a medium and prove that they can handle other issues without hamfisting it
    That's where I do agree with you that rape scenes/topics shouldn't be taken lightly unless the writers know what they're talking about.

I don't mind such topics being present, but only if they fit with the current setting of the game (and that just don't pop out of nowhere, with no sense)

25. Post #105
    November 2008
    863 Posts
    exactly. if the developers wanted to have it be shocking, they wouldn't be going around to news sites announcing it and citing it as a major part of the game.
    From what I gather, it's a big deal because this is supposed to be the first time she ever kills someone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #106
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts

Do you even know what you're arguing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    Rape is not any worse than murdering a man in front of children.
    again there's a difference between rape in a videogame and an extremely unrealistic representation of murder.

This goes back to how people cannot accept change. Anything new to them humanity pushes aside or demonizes.
    uh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #108
    February 2012
    518 Posts
    Did you even read what I had responded to?

29. Post #109
    October 2009
    6,272 Posts
    That's where I do agree with you that rape scenes/topics shouldn't be taken lightly unless the writers know what they're talking about.
    That should be the case with any scene that involves anything that is adult material. If you are taking caution when writing a rape scene as to not make a rape victim commit suicide, why don't you take caution when writing a war scene as to not make PTSD victims commit suicide? You can't have one without the other. You treat all victims of all tragedies the same, regardless of if it's rape or war, and that's not happening.

30. Post #110
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    again there's a difference between rape in a videogame and an extremely unrealistic representation of murder.
    Good thing none of that has nothing to do with anything we're talking about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #111
    March 2011
    166 Posts
    *sigh*

I really hate how every single person posting in this thread is a male who has never experienced anything close to rape, or even whats depicted in the game. Seriously, you guys have no clue what you're talking about and any "facts" you have are bullshit studies that vary as much as what gives you cancer.

So honestly, whether this sort of thing should be in a video game or not should be left to the artists and writers, it's their work and creation and if they feel like including this then so be it.

And too the people saying "oh it's not as bad as murder or genocide! stop complaining!" let me just say this: a) rape IS genocide, want to wipe out a population? better yet, replace it with your own. b) from what I've felt, and know other women in my life have felt, murder would be a mercy in comparison.

So seriously, if you don't have personal first hand knowledge, please stop bitching about this stuff, it's not your place or right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 31Funny Funny x 5Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

32. Post #112
    November 2008
    863 Posts
    Because every video game with shooting and killing shows an unrealistic representation of murder...

33. Post #113
    June 2011
    2,310 Posts
    And too the people saying "oh it's not as bad as murder or genocide! stop complaining!" let me just say this: a) rape IS genocide
    what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

34. Post #114
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    Do you even know what you're arguing?
    it should be pretty easy to see what i'm arguing, which is that this rape shtick is a pretty silly at making a shocking news story and generating marketing hype.

i don't agree that it's the next step in writing good plots or characters, and i really doubt the game will treat it as anything more than just a QTE.

i could be wrong, but i've played a lot of tomb raider games, and the plot was definitely not the reason why anybody played them.

i'm also the fan of the series so it irks me when they make a big deal about this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,669 Posts
    Why can't we be desensitized to rape but we can be desensitized to murder and death? I mean, look at any game. Do you think twice before beheading a guy in Skyrim? Do you think about the kids that are watching in the Jarls' palace? No, because it's a game and you're desensitized to it. Rape is not any worse than murdering a man in front of children.
    Again you're bringing up the unnecessary parallel. I'm not talking about the act itself, I'm talking about the presentation. The Devs of this game are dick-waving their rape scene and that isn't the proper way to handle things. This has nothing to do with the fact that it's a video game, it's about the way that the devs are parading around the deepness of their game instead of letting players feel it for themselves. What they're doing right now is fucking stupid and does not bode well for their game.

*sigh*

I really hate how every single person posting in this thread is a male who has never experienced anything close to rape, or even whats depicted in the game. Seriously, you guys have no clue what you're talking about and any "facts" you have are bullshit studies that vary as much as what gives you cancer.

So honestly, whether this sort of thing should be in a video game or not should be left to the artists and writers, it's their work and creation and if they feel like including this then so be it.

And too the people saying "oh it's not as bad as murder or genocide! stop complaining!" let me just say this: a) rape IS genocide, want to wipe out a population? better yet, replace it with your own. b) from what I've felt, and know other women in my life have felt, murder would be a mercy in comparison.

So seriously, if you don't have personal first hand knowledge, please stop bitching about this stuff, it's not your place or right.
    right, because as a 2brutish manpig I have absolutely no right to sympathize with women, nor do I have the right to disapprove of the depiction of rape as a marketing ploy

36. Post #116
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    *sigh*

This is generalised ignorance that has absolutely no baring on what anyone in this thread has said.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

37. Post #117
    February 2012
    518 Posts
    *sigh*

I agree with this. Although she gets touched for TWO seconds in the video then proceeds to kick his ass. I do not call that rape. Sure, he might have been trying to but, it did not happen. Rape is a horrible thing, so is murder/torture. We shouldn't blow this out of proportion though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #118
    October 2009
    6,272 Posts
    *sigh*

Rape is not gender specific. Men can be raped too. Don't pull that card and say that you know more about the effects or rape when male rape victims exist as well. I'm also not saying that rape isn't bad, I'm saying that watching someone die or having to kill a man is just as bad. I know you know women who say that murder would be mercy, but they've never been raped. I have a friend who struggled with PTSD after he returned from his tours and he nearly killed himself. He tried hanging himself but the rope snapped. I know firsthand the damage that occurs to victims of war, and while I'm not saying rape is a lesser pain, I'm saying that you shouldn't make rape seem worse than everything else in the world because, yes it's god awful, but so is having to kill people, watching your friends die, and the lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    it should be pretty easy to see what i'm arguing, which is that this rape shtick is a pretty silly at making a shocking news story and generating marketing hype.

i don't agree that it's the next step in writing good plots or characters, and i really doubt the game will treat it as anything more than just a QTE.

i could be wrong, but i've played a lot of tomb raider games, and the plot was definitely not the reason why anybody played them.

i'm also the fan of the series so it irks me when they make a big deal about this.

So in your opinion they're doing this just for hype? That's a pretty stupid basis for an argument, unless you have some sort of proof then it's unwarranted.

Edited:

The Devs of this game are dick-waving their rape scene and that isn't the proper way to handle things.
    Except they're

uh
    you know

not

40. Post #120
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    Because every video game with shooting and killing shows an unrealistic representation of murder...
    there's a difference between graphic and realistic. a murder isn't a horrible thing because blood or guts come out of someone. it's horrible because (well this is based on your personal morality) a conscious being with a strong effect on someone else is removed from the planet and causes great strife to the people that cared about them. that doesn't happen in videogames on any huge basis and it would be silly to say that a scene where someone is graphically killed would illicit the same emotional response as an actual murder.

Edited:

That's a pretty stupid basis for an argument
    if it's such a stupid basis for an argument then you shouldn't have any trouble arguing against it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)