1. Post #1
    Certified Witch - Cutie Department
    April 2007
    13,885 Posts

http://www.dailytech.com/Quick+Note+...ticle24926.htm

Apple, Inc. (AAPL) earlier this week announced its latest upcoming version of its mobile operating system, iOS 6. The beta build showed off some new features including the new Maps application, which allowed Apple to toss rival Google Inc.'s (GOOG) Google Maps, the previous mapping application in iOS.

CNN described:

But it was Maps which may have marked the most direct anti-Google move. Google has been providing mapping information to Apple since the iPhone launched in 2007.
    At the iOS 6 announcement, mobile chief Scott Forstall was all braggadocio commenting, "In iOS 6, we have built an entire new mapping system from the ground up; and it looks beautiful. This is a worldwide effort. We're covering the world."
    Perhaps he was right, but the world Apple is covering seems to be one quite different from our own. In the beta build the map names the ocean between Australia and Asia as the "Arctic Ocean". It thinks the continent of Africa is the "North Pacific Ocean" and the island of Greenland is the "Indian Ocean". Whoops.

Then there are reports that the mapping app has a penchant for suggesting curious shortcuts that take drivers on creative turns directly off bridges.
    Hopefully nobody tries to follow that navigator's advice unless they have one of those fancy car-boat-transforming vehicles.

True, this is just a test build, but it's a surprisingly poor showing for a company who has a reputation for polished core applications. It looks like Apple may come to regret its snub of Google Maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 143Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    October 2009
    1,095 Posts
    Best suicide map to date, obviously.

Apple is so innovative.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 83Agree x 1Disagree x 1Zing x 1Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    How does this even happen?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 40 (list)

4. Post #4
    How can you fuck up this royally? As a programmer, I fail to see how the hell they managed to do this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 69 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,917 Posts
    the way the euro is going this map sums up europe in the future
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 26Funny Funny x 18Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    How does this even happen?
    The maps are provided by TomTom, this explains everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 16Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    ...And google maps continues to be decades ahead...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 41Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.
    November 2011
    7,077 Posts
    ...And google maps continues to be decades ahead...
    Even Google knows, you gotta kayak across the ocean
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 83Winner Winner x 8Funny Funny x 5 (list)

9. Post #9
    TIME ALLEN
    May 2008
    1,640 Posts
    this is why we have betas. this bug was found in the beta version of iOS 6. i'm sure they'll fix it for full release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,588 Posts
    Also Sudan is one nation on the map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 45Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    ~ pissing excellence ~
    May 2005
    2,844 Posts
    But it's a feature!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

12. Post #12
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,422 Posts
    Dev builds of iOS are typically full of bugs, this isn't something uncommon with new features
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2009
    8,256 Posts
    Dev builds of iOS are typically full of bugs, this isn't something uncommon with new features
    The navigation thing I don't mind, but HOW did the map thing happen?

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    18,912 Posts
    I'm going to India soon to see the Arctic sea!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    14,033 Posts
    Your navigation brought to you by Apple in conjunction with the Fact Sphere.

"Turn right ahead. Continue on for the next 3400 miles across the Southern Ocean. You have arrived in London."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 107Winner Winner x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,452 Posts
    The navigation thing I don't mind, but HOW did the map thing happen?
    Agreed. What idiot took a look at the map, saw the Artic Ocean fuck up and thought "Yeah, I think it's ready to be released for beta so people can find the small bugs! We got all the big ones!"

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,598 Posts
    The maps are provided by TomTom, this explains everything.
    As the owner of a TomTom, I can safely say that this does, in fact, explain everything.

Our TomTom sometimes instructs us to take 13hour detours for very simplistic tasks. It also fails to recognize sections of the Trans-Canada highway (you know, one of the largest highways in the world). According to TomTom, West-bound on the trans-canada from Alberta doesn't exist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 26 (list)

18. Post #18
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,556 Posts
    I mean it's good they make new stuff. But I just can't stop wondering why not use google's?

19. Post #19
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    I mean it's good they make new stuff. But I just can't stop wondering why not use google's?
    Because Google are evil and their services are terrible! >:(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    April 2012
    366 Posts
    It's saying if you bought an Apple device you should just resign from humanity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 44Useful Useful x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    11,137 Posts
    Kind of surprised it took this long for this to happen.

22. Post #22
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,158 Posts
    Test build
    I swear if anyone uses this for any more anti-Apple stuff...
    I mean I hate Apple sometimes too but christ, you can't fault them for bugs in early development builds that are only available to iOS app developers in the first place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,711 Posts
    this is why we have betas. this bug was found in the beta version of iOS 6. i'm sure they'll fix it for full release.
    Even in a Beta build, this is horrendous. How do you let something like this get published
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,481 Posts
    Well apple says so, so I guess its right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    14,033 Posts
    Test build
    I mean I hate Apple sometimes too but christ, you can't fault them for bugs in early development builds that are only available to iOS app developers in the first place.
    Yeah, test builds are fine and all, no one expects them to be perfect. We just don't expect them to be hilariously broken either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

26. Post #26
    January 2012
    1,806 Posts
    Test build
    There's a difference between the directions maybe not showing the most efficient route, and the map trying to tell you the Arctic Ocean is just south of India.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22Funny Funny x 6 (list)

27. Post #27
    This title is totally OVERKILL™!
    November 2011
    8,347 Posts
    That's not what my Maps look like.

Edited:

Oh nevermind, testbuilds. I need to get some glasses.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    17,200 Posts
    Test build
    can you explain to me how a test build justifies having entire oceans in the wrong place because that seems more like the programmers don't know geography
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

29. Post #29
    April 2007
    1,490 Posts
    Test build or not, I'm already sold.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,556 Posts
    Oh man, anyone remember what happened when the iPhone alarm did not work?
    I can already imagine what this is going to cause.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,938 Posts
    It's saying if you bought an Apple device you should just resign from humanity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 26Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Hey, the N-Gage was incredible!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    5,843 Posts
    Apple hate swarm.

Its a beta.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Apple hate swarm.

Its a beta.
    I don't see how their development process could work to get a beta like this. It being a beta implies there was an alpha, and really obvious bugs like these shouldn't have made it out of Cupertino to be a news story at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

35. Post #35
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Apple hate swarm.

Its a beta.
    I wouldn't release a single piece of software into beta unless I knew fundamental functionality like having correct maps is working properly, how the hell do you fuck up something so essential on a program with one single purpose?

Edited:

Its like releasing a game into beta with the map inverted vertically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,452 Posts
    I wouldn't release a single piece of software into beta unless I knew fundamental functionality like having correct maps is working properly, how the hell do you fuck up something so essential on a program with one single purpose?

Edited:

Its like releasing a game into beta with the map inverted vertically.
    No, it's more like having the spawn point stuck deep in a wall
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,260 Posts
    As the owner of a TomTom, I can safely say that this does, in fact, explain everything.

Our TomTom sometimes instructs us to take 13hour detours for very simplistic tasks. It also fails to recognize sections of the Trans-Canada highway (you know, one of the largest highways in the world). According to TomTom, West-bound on the trans-canada from Alberta doesn't exist.
    That reminds me of when our GPS (back when they were a relatively new thing) told us to drive off a mountain. Well technically it was an ATV path down the side of the mountain, but if you tried to take a car down there, you'd get the same result either way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    August 2007
    954 Posts

Pictured: Apple's cartography adviser
    "Obviously the blue parts are the land"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

39. Post #39

August 2007
    318 Posts
    Also Sudan is one nation on the map.
    Sudan IS one nation...
    South Sudan is to the south of Sudan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    January 2010
    3,938 Posts
    No surprise Apple is cutting corners as usual, Quite literally this time too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)