1. Post #1
    Best Woofie On Facepunch!
    July 2007
    6,214 Posts
    Yahoo.com posted:
    This week, Michigan approved one of the most restrictive abortion laws in the country -- and House Republicans banned two female Democratic representatives from speaking on the House floor after they opposed the bill.

State Representatives Lisa Brown and Barb Byrum, both Democrats, were not officially told why the ban was put in place or how long it will be enforced, Brown said in a statement on Thursday.

"Both Representative Byrum and I were gaveled down without cause yesterday while voicing our opposition to the Republican's war on women here in Michigan," Brown said. "Regardless of their reasoning, this is a violation of my First Amendment rights and directly impedes my ability to serve the people who elected me into office."

The bill (HB5711), which passed 70 to 39 with one representative abstaining, would severely restrict women's access to non-abortion health care services by imposing difficult-to-meet regulations that could ultimately force most clinics in the state to close. Another bill, which would criminalize abortions performed after 20 weeks gestation for any reason, was tabled for now.

"I have not asked you to adopt and adhere to my religious beliefs. Why are you asking me to adopt yours?" Brown said. "And finally, Mr. Speaker, I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my vagina, but 'no' means 'no'."

"I was either banned for being Jewish and rightfully pointing out that House Bill 5711 was forcing contradictory religious beliefs upon me and any other religion," Brown said in a statement. "Or it is because I said the word 'vagina' which is an anatomically, medically correct term. If they are going to legislate my anatomy, I see no reason why I cannot mention it."

According to Ari Adler, a spokesman for the Republican majority, Republican Speaker Pro Tem John Walsh called Brown out of order, not for saying "vagina," but for saying "no means no," something which he says suggested that Brown was comparing the abortion legislation to rape.

"What she said was offensive," Republican representative Mike Callton told the Detroit News. "It was so offensive, I don't even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company."

"If I can't say the word vagina, why are we legislating vaginas?" Brown asked Thursday at a press conference. "What language should I use?"

Regardless of where you stand on the abortion debate, what does it mean when elected officials are prohibited from speaking while bills that affect them are being discussed?
    Source.

This angers me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 84Friendly x 2Disagree x 2Dumb x 2Informative x 1Funny x 1Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    beep
    January 2006
    7,767 Posts
    How can voicing your stance on something in politics gets you banned from speaking. isn't that one of the major points of politics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 107 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2010
    6,792 Posts
    "Land of the Free" - Unless the Republicans have their way, then it's "Land of the wealthy caucasian Christians"

Fuck off already, thundercunts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 88Dumb Dumb x 8Funny Funny x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2011
    2,355 Posts
    This entire abortion thing is stupid. The babies don't have any consciousness at that age, they have as much consciousness as a fucking tree. It's not murder if it doesn't know it exists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 55Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,788 Posts
    Whatever your stance on abortion is, this is just plain fucked up.

Restricting the freedom to voice your stance on something sounds very Un-American to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 35 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,411 Posts
    "Land of the Free" - Unless the Republicans have their way, then it's "Land of the wealthy caucasian Christians"

You know, I'd like to think that I usually try to keep an open mind about things, even though I can be pretty damn biased. But in this case, I completely fucking agree with you.

I really hope Brown takes some legal action on this. And, personally, legislating what a woman can and cannot do with her own vagina when it affects no other person reminds me a little of rape, yes, Mr. Callton.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    5,033 Posts
    This is why you move to Canada
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,983 Posts

Except if the Democrats have their way, it's "Land of the idealistic teenagers and extremists." There is no real middleground between the two. Don't act like one side would make everything peaches and creams whereas the other wouldn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 52Agree Agree x 10 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,411 Posts
    Lisa Brown also wrote an opinion article about the whole thing. I'll link it once I'm done reading it.

Edited:

Except if the Democrats have their way, it's "Land of the idealistic teenagers and extremists." There is no real middleground between the two. Don't act like one side would make everything peaches and creams whereas the other wouldn't.
    So, are you saying republicans can't be idealistic or extreme? Because things like this seem pretty extreme, if not idealistic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    August 2010
    6,792 Posts
    Who says I am? Besides, I'd rather have that than the backwards morals and beliefs along with forcing "Christian" values onto non-Christians (Christian values = their own values, in this case) the Republicans are trying to implement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,411 Posts
    Here's Lisa Brown's version of events:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-gop-lawmakers

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,053 Posts
    So, are you saying republicans can't be idealistic or extreme?
    He explicitly doesn't say that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,878 Posts
    I live in Michigan and I haven't even heard a thing about this legislation or this Rep... fuck the Republican controlled government of this state.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    March 2011
    4,292 Posts
    Abe Lincoln, look at what your party has become.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Memento audere semper- audaces fortuna iuvat.
    February 2010
    8,157 Posts
    Wow, this leaves me speechless. I mean, shouldn't the point of view of the women about this matter be taken in consideration a little more? Since they are the ones involved?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,642 Posts
    canadas conservative party isnt any better no where is good right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

17. Post #17
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    Someone in a state government was kept from just speaking just once in the US.

Yep, America is definitely fucked beyond repair, time to move!

Edited:

Abe Lincoln, look at what your party has become.
    If Abe lived today, he would have joined the Democratic Party.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 29 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,957 Posts
    uh what
    I don't like the Democrats (mostly for the same reason I don't like Republicans) but I'm pretty sure the Libertarians have the market cornered on idealistic teens and extremists.

Edited:

When I think Democrat I think "status quo and corporate interests" which is annoying but I don't think extremism.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    uh what
    I don't like the Democrats (mostly for the same reason I don't like Republicans) but I'm pretty sure the Libertarians have the market cornered on idealistic teens and extremists.

Edited:

When I think Democrat I think "status quo and corporate interests" which is annoying but I don't think extremism.
    I'd estimate that out of idealistic teens, only 10% are Libertarians, while 90% are Democrats.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,957 Posts
    I'd estimate that out of idealistic teens, only 10% are Libertarians, while 90% are Democrats.
    I was mostly talking about extremism because I don't know what the fuck an idealistic teen even means. All teens are idealistic, with their wacky and crazy ideas like typing into a phone instead of talking on it and listening to a malfunctioning macbook for music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2006
    6,660 Posts
    i'd estimate that sandwiches are good 75 percent of the time

lets all draw conclusions from this number I just said
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    ron paul 2012 pls vot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    September 2011
    711 Posts
    I think this bill is more a cry of attention from Michigan. I live here and this state is boring as shit. We need a little controversy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,929 Posts
    Silly females. What do they know about abortion?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Zing Zing x 17 (list)

25. Post #25
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,642 Posts
    the fact that their able to get them and men aren't
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,957 Posts
    Republicans are against big government until it comes to their insane religious beliefs which need to be pressured onto everyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

27. Post #27
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    There are a surprising number of Republican women who oppose abortions.

Edited:

i'd estimate that sandwiches are good 75 percent of the time

lets all draw conclusions from this number I just said
    If this is about my 10%/90% comment, the point was to say there are far more teenage Democrats than Libertarians. It was not meant to be an exact total.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,983 Posts
    Lisa Brown also wrote an opinion article about the whole thing. I'll link it once I'm done reading it.

Edited:

So, are you saying republicans can't be idealistic or extreme? Because things like this seem pretty extreme, if not idealistic.
    Actually I'm pretty much flat out saying that both sides can be.

Edited:

Republicans are against big government until it comes to their insane religious beliefs which need to be pressured onto everyone.
    You clearly have extensive experience in the subject. There's no chance you're just making sweeping generalizations about Republicans. None at all.

29. Post #29
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,227 Posts
    The democrats are super moderate, you are thinking of the peace and freedom party
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,957 Posts
    Actually I'm pretty much flat out saying that both sides can be.

Edited:

You clearly have extensive experience in the subject. There's no chance you're just making sweeping generalizations about Republicans. None at all.
    I don't think saying Republicans push for Christian or Bible inspired laws is too much of a generalization when it's actively going on

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,519 Posts
    Isn't it, you know, illegal for them to do this? If it's not, it should be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

32. Post #32
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    He's essentially right.

So long as it doesn't contend with some kind of Judeo-Christian moral belief, Republicans are generally against government dealing in it.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts

why is it so hard for facepunch to stop generalizing and stereotyping?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    This entire abortion thing is stupid. The babies don't have any consciousness at that age, they have as much consciousness as a fucking tree. It's not murder if it doesn't know it exists.
    Please tell me when a human being gains consciousness.

Actually, please tell me what consciousness actually is, since as far as I know scientists still haven't figured it out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,800 Posts
    He didn't imply that in the least. His argument does not logically create that at all, so shut up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    5,815 Posts
    The Michigan Republicans are god damned retarded and evil. They're as bad as the ones in Wisconsin. Every single one of those buffoons needs to be shoved out of politics.

This doesn't surprise me. This is Michigan, the constitution doesn't apply, as we learned from Rick Snyder's completely abolition of local-level democracy whenever his un-elected council says so. Let's just bar the minority party from speaking out at all, who gives a fuck?

37. Post #37
    March 2011
    4,292 Posts
    Someone in a state government was kept from just speaking just once in the US.

Yep, America is definitely fucked beyond repair, time to move!

Edited:

If Abe lived today, he would have joined the Democratic Party.
    It's funny how in his day the Republicans were the good guys (Wanting to end slavery and shit.) and Democrats were the bad guys (Wanted to keep slavery.) and somehow the Republicans decided to trade all their smart people for the democratic's idiot people.

The last half-decent republican president was probably Reagan. At least he actually got shit done. (Bringing down inflation, brought down unemployment rate, etc.)

Now it's just "who's the crazier republican!?", at least Newt wants to go into a space even for silly reasons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,289 Posts
    50% of teens are republican 50% of adults are democracts 99% of all babies are libertarians 100% of elderly people are wizards
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    13,246 Posts
    I think this bill is more a cry of attention from Michigan. I live here and this state is boring as shit. We need a little controversy.
    Wow I hate it when people like you think everyone's motivation is "to cause controversy" or "to make the other person angry" as if everybody is just a vengeful zombie with extremely simple thought processes.

40. Post #40
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,929 Posts
    Michigan must have their coat hanger sales through the roof
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)