1. Post #1
    September 2010
    2,990 Posts
    Hey everyone,

I've been away from gmod for a good while proper now (mapping in engine, rather than moving everything to gmod) and I've noticed the evolution of a problem I remember telling my friends about Gmod a loooooong time ago.
    The issue is the tons of content servers require players to have in order to play on their servers- content that may not even be used in the gamemode you're trying to play. I understand that this is in part due to how easy it is to produce custom content, and to that extent I really like Gmod as sort of a universal sandbox for props and maps and game ideas not just from the half life series.

What I don't get is why a server operator/admin feels it's necessary to have so much useless shit though. I'm talking about sounds or sprays or music that isn't ever used or even model replacements that like 3-4 players are allowed to use.
    It's sort of like the hoarder shows on TV where people collect things because they think it's neat even though they will never see the light of day again.

The same for some gamemodes; some are so complex or require so many materials that I wonder why they aren't just their own standalone mods.

It may seem like a silly question now, but I would like any sort of feedback or insight into this....phenomena.

2. Post #2
    DaemonServers UK
    April 2009
    429 Posts
    In Garrysmod there is a multiplayer option to not download content from the server so if you don't like the server your not wasting time on the content packs.

3. Post #3
    September 2010
    2,990 Posts
    In Garrysmod there is a multiplayer option to not download content from the server so if you don't like the server your not wasting time on the content packs.
    Really? I'll check that out.

But wouldn't that also break some of the special gamemodes if you don't have some of the models or custom scripts?

4. Post #4
    PROUD BRONY 4LYFE
    February 2009
    3,312 Posts
    That would break most gamemodes because that stops the Lua cache from being downloaded as well.

The only thing you can block from downloading without breaking everything is sounds.