1. Post #1
    June 2012
    546 Posts

While speculation in the lead-up to the June 4 European Union-Russia summit focused on whether EU leaders would pressure Russian President Vladimir Putin to act in war-torn Syria, the meeting remained focused on strengthening economic ties between the two key trading partners.

Held in St. Petersburg, it was the first such gathering since Putin returned to the presidency last month. European Council President Herman Van Rompuy and European Commission President Josť Manuel Barroso represented the EU, and Putin used the opportunity to press for what he called a "Eurasian Union."

"We are convinced that the setting up of the Customs Union, of the Common Economic Space, and in the future, possibly, of the Eurasian economic union, is fully compatible with the tasks of enhancing cooperation between Russia and the European Union," he said.

Brussels and Moscow have attempted to negotiate new basic parameters for their relationship off and on since 2008. Those discussions proved largely fruitless as Russia remained outside the World Trade Organization. But Russia signed up to join the WTO in December 2011, with membership likely to become active later this summer.

"The idea of the Eurasian economic union, if based on the WTO rules, could lead to positive contributions to trade, prosperity and cooperation," Putin said.

The growing crisis in Syria, a key Russian ally, dominated pre-summit hype, but received just a few mentions as the leaders held a press conference to summarize their discussions June 4. In short, the leaders seemed to agree to disagree.

The United States and EU are pushing Moscow to take increased measures against the government of Bashar al-Assad, which is accused of targeting civilians in an attempt to quell a burgeoning rebellion in the country that threatens to erupt into full-blown civil war. As a permanent member of the UN Security Council, Russia has watered down or sidetracked measures touted by much of the West.

Van Rompuy said Putin had agreed that UN envoy Kofi Annan's so-called peace plan remains the best way forward in the short term, but that is likely a disappointing result as many see that plan as failing to end violence in Syria. Annan is calling for the withdrawal of heavy weaponry from urban areas and a ceasefire between government and opposition forces. He is scheduled to meet with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Washington, D.C. June 8.

"The European Union and Russia might have some diverging assessments, but we fully agree that the Annan plan as a whole provides the best opportunity to break the cycle of violence in Syria," Van Rompuy said. "We need to combine our efforts in order for this to happen, and to find common messages on which we agree."

For its part, Russia denies it is sheltering al-Assad's regime, but during presidential campaigning earlier this year, Putin insisted he would not allow another "Libyan scenario" in Syria, a reference to NATO efforts that led to the downfall of Muammar al-Qaddafi.

The summit came a day after al-Assad denied his government forces were to blame for the May 25 massacre of more than 100 people, including scores of children, in the town of Houla, blaming the attack on "terrorists."

The UN has blamed pro-government forces, while Russian leaders have said the attack was likely carried out by opposition rebels as a "provocation." With little agreement on how to move forward in Syria, the leaders nonetheless sought to put a positive spin on the talks.

"We're listening to each other, and we understand each other," Putin said.

Barroso quoted Russian writer Alexander Pushkin in an attempt to depict the discussions as productive.

"We can try and fail, but we should not fail to try," he said.
    http://www.praguepost.com/news/13374...ian-union.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 81Winner Winner x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    13,482 Posts
    This seems strangely familiar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 101Funny Funny x 7 (list)

3. Post #3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    24,515 Posts
    The EACSSR?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Zing Zing x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dragon Dildoes
    Dennab
    April 2009
    4,432 Posts
    This reminded me of the Earth Trilogy.

If anyone remembers the ED(Eurasian Dynasty).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 17Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,071 Posts
    Welp, I'm gonna go hide my gold and guns in a place I can find em when the commies land on our beaches. WOLVERINES!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 37Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    13,482 Posts
    Considering everyone involved in this has striven to compare it to the Soviet Union in some regard, seems pretty accurate. Namely, it would be composed entirely of prior Soviet states and Putin himself has said it would "Build on the best parts of the Soviet Union." Where as everyone else has said "This just aims to reestablish the Soviet Union as a power."

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,859 Posts

It's all coming together
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 105Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    May 2010
    1,957 Posts
    Big Putin will eventually maybe be watching you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

10. Post #10
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.
    November 2011
    6,990 Posts

It's all coming together
    That means that walkers are close by
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,808 Posts
    and my goddamn flying cars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,246 Posts
    [QUOTE=Repulsion;36347866]Big Putin will eventually maybe be watching you.[/QUO

Well obviously America should create oceania
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2009
    8,151 Posts
    I love how the Baltics are excluded from the EAC but Georgia isn't

I'm sure Georgia would love to be in the EAC :rollseyes:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    February 2009
    24,515 Posts
    In development

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 34Winner Winner x 14Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    June 2012
    546 Posts
    I love how the Baltics are excluded from the EAC but Georgia isn't

I'm sure Georgia would love to be in the EAC :rollseyes:
    It will just get re-invaded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5Late Late x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,751 Posts
    Too bad all countries can't solidify into a single nation, imagine virtually everyone working on the same side, no countries fighting each other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly x 13Agree x 8Dumb x 7Optimistic x 7Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    13,482 Posts
    Too bad all countries can't solidify into a single nation, imagine virtually everyone working on the same side, no countries fighting each other.
    You seriously think that would work? Ever?
    Let me quote the Sniper on this one: "As long as there's two people left on the planet, someone is going to want someone dead."
    Seriously, with all the different religions, cultures, political views, everything, you'd still have them trying to kill each other. Hell, the only thing keeping some states from attacking each other is the fear that the federal government would intervene.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 35Winner x 2Dumb x 1Disagree x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    2,125 Posts
    I am sorry but what the hell, this looks like a logo Cobracon would use. Also the simpsons was right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 33Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    February 2009
    24,515 Posts
    Let me quote the Sniper on this one: "As long as there's two people left on the planet, someone is going to want someone dead."
    Seriously, with all the different religions, cultures, political views, everything, you'd still have them trying to kill each other. Hell, the only thing keeping some states from attacking each other is the fear that the federal government would intervene.
    Better to keep hoping and strive toward that, then to give into pessimism and continue the problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

20. Post #20
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    13,482 Posts
    Better to keep hoping and strive toward that, then to give into pessimism and continue the problem.
    I've not giving in to pessimism, I'm admitting to realism. Seriously, does anyone ever think that this would work in any way? Aside from the issues I mentioned, getting there would be a nightmare. You think the current nations would want to sacrifice their sovereignty for a pipe dream?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    February 2009
    24,515 Posts
    Reminds me of this song

Edited:

I've not giving in to pessimism, I'm admitting to realism. Seriously, does anyone ever think that this would work in any way? Aside from the issues I mentioned, getting there would be a nightmare. You think the current nations would want to sacrifice their sovereignty for a pipe dream?
    So just because it'll take a lot of work and won't happen overnight, we should all give up because it's "unreal"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,216 Posts
    ahem
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    February 2009
    24,515 Posts
    If it were a list of "wars" in general, I'd understand, but I don't get posting a list of civil wars has to do with what he said?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    June 2012
    546 Posts
    A country is just a set of people. A country isn't an entity itself, but a set of entities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #25
    October 2007
    673 Posts
    Well obviously America should create oceania
    And Europe should form some sort of Unio- oh...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 18 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,751 Posts
    I said too bad we couldn't, obviously we probably wont, at the most it'll be 5 very big nations warring amongst each other, but the less split up our species is, the better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    October 2007
    673 Posts
    I said too bad we couldn't, obviously we probably wont, at the most it'll be 5 very big nations warring amongst each other, but the less split up our species is, the better.
    Sounds like "why can't we just all get along".

I think better would be a larger number of smaller nations. If you let any one organisation get too big they will always cause trouble.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    597 Posts
    1984 anyone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Late Late x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    March 2011
    1,826 Posts
    Thread music:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

30. Post #30
    I'd buy that for a dollar
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,876 Posts
    Hm, might be able to kill me some Russian subs in the future. Aw yeah.

Edited:

Actually no, that would be fucking creepy as fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,071 Posts
    ALSO in before

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,216 Posts
    If it were a list of "wars" in general, I'd understand, but I don't get posting a list of civil wars has to do with what he said?
    if you had a mega country and global unification you'd still have fighting and war within it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,807 Posts
    So just because it'll take a lot of work and won't happen overnight, we should all give up because it's "unreal"?
    It just will not work. Mankind has been bopping his neighbors over the head with deadly instruments since the days of individual tribes roaming the forests, and will continue to do so until there is but one man left on Earth.

It doesn't matter if everyone's under the same banner, there will still be war. It is human nature. Unifying all countries into one will only change the banners under which the parties fight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,054 Posts
    Sounds like "why can't we just all get along".

I think better would be a larger number of smaller nations. If you let any one organisation get too big they will always cause trouble.
    Big countries also become bloated an inefficient. Plus trying to make a wide array of people with different cutures and ideals follow the same laws can cause tension.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,378 Posts
    107% of Eurasians support this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 58 (list)

36. Post #36
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    20,701 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    23,398 Posts
    aaaaand finland is fucked again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 21Winner Winner x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    June 2011
    2,310 Posts
    I dont think you understand what the Eurasian Union actually strives to do.

It isn't the Soviet Union 2.0, it's merely an economic union - similar to the European Union. Converting the region to use one currency is actually a logical step because most post-Soviet states are fucking failing monetarily. Most are either on a constant decrease and the others stagnated.

Would you call this the rebirth of the Soviet Union? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonw...pendent_States

Nobody is losing their sovereignty here. Just like European nations haven't lost theirs when the EU was established. This isn't a "pipe dream" either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    December 2011
    1,020 Posts
    Isn't he saying that with "Too bad all countries can't solidify into a single nation"?
    Why are you rating SpaceGhost dumb?

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,954 Posts
    The EU should definitely expand it's borders. It's silly that potential future candidates such as Turkey is excluded because of arbitrary continential borders (Europe is not a continent of its own, it's part of the Eurasian tectonic plate).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)