1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    5,153 Posts
    One last thing I would like to point out.

Do you realize this is true about everything?

Since last few decades - customer electronics - all the stuff in kitchen.

But also furniture, our homes, our cars, tools, clothes...

Everything is made with less and less possibility of repair, with the main aim being streamlining which might be ergonomic and efficient when used, but in the long run decreases the lifetime of the product.

You have to realize that all of these companies WANT the shit to last little while ideally selling for the same old price, because they will be able to sell you more of the thing once the old piece broke down.

How long did your grandpa's car last, and how long do modern cars last? How about his fridge? His table?

Ask him, if he could fix a broken down table from IKEA without lot of dickfiddlery - it's not really possible.

This is the world of democratic capitalism with uneducated customer base. Nobody is to blame but the masses.
    This is true, with cars especially.

Me and my friend used to fix old cars up while being lightly drunk. Usually the old car was mine, and we actually fixed LOTS of things from it.

But my god, we had to change the fucking fog light -bulbs to my cousins 2012 Nissan Juke and it was horrible. It took us longer than fixing up my old cars goddamn engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

2. Post #82
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,987 Posts
    No, an incredible large and gullible consumer base that will buy a new model every year just to say that they have the latest Apple product.
    I'd actually love to know how true this is.

How many people who buy new Apple products had the previous version?

It's probably much lower than you'd think.

3. Post #83
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    If you try a portable Mac, I imagine the rate for 'going back' is ridiculously low.

I mean, I am an 'IT professional' and my out-and-about notebook is a MacBook Air, and in regards to portables, I will always buy Apple products from now on.

Prior to owning the Air, I thought Macs were shitty and complained about all the things you've mentioned throughout this thread as to why they are shitty - my choice lay between the Air and a much higher spec Alienware that weighed like 3KG and was thick as fuck.

Desktop wise, I can't see me owning a Mac - simply because PCs, at present - run games, allow me to 3D model, all this other stuff I couldn't really do on a Mac.

So yeah, there's lots of considerations to be taken into account when it comes to desktops/laptops.

My point of view was that I was going to be using my portable for web browsing, lecture note-taking, occasional document writing, running presentations and laying out websites in Photoshop.

Was I going to be playing UT3 or EVE Online in the coffee shop for 3 hours? No. Why would anyone do that?

Was I going to be doing complex 3D models in the coffee shop for 3 hours? No. Why would anyone do that?

So yeah the choice was clear - I use my high-spec gaming PC for all that stuff, and use my super-lightweight MacBook Air with a superb battery that lasts for 5 hours (even when running multiple photoshop instances) and does everything i need it to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,079 Posts

But probably not as low as you think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    January 2012
    1,692 Posts
    And again, we voted with our wallets and purchased the device despite its built-in death clock.
    Am I the only one who immediately thought of this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,089 Posts
    If you try a portable Mac, I imagine the rate for 'going back' is ridiculously low.

I mean, I am an 'IT professional' and my out-and-about notebook is a MacBook Air, and in regards to portables, I will always buy Apple products from now on.

Prior to owning the Air, I thought Macs were shitty and complained about all the things you've mentioned throughout this thread as to why they are shitty - my choice lay between the Air and a much higher spec Alienware that weighed like 3KG and was thick as fuck.

Desktop wise, I can't see me owning a Mac - simply because PCs, at present - run games, allow me to 3D model, all this other stuff I couldn't really do on a Mac.

So yeah, there's lots of considerations to be taken into account when it comes to desktops/laptops.

My point of view was that I was going to be using my portable for web browsing, lecture note-taking, occasional document writing, running presentations and laying out websites in Photoshop.

Was I going to be playing UT3 or EVE Online in the coffee shop for 3 hours? No. Why would anyone do that?

Was I going to be doing complex 3D models in the coffee shop for 3 hours? No. Why would anyone do that?

So yeah the choice was clear - I use my high-spec gaming PC for all that stuff, and use my super-lightweight MacBook Air with a superb battery that lasts for 5 hours (even when running multiple photoshop instances) and does everything i need it to.
    I'm sorry, I just find it very hard to believe that you're an IT professional, and yet you state that your ONLY CHOICES were between a MACBOOK AIR and an ALIENWARE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,079 Posts
    I'm sorry, I just find it very hard to believe that you're an IT professional, and yet you state that your ONLY CHOICES were between a MACBOOK AIR and an ALIENWARE.
    Now where did he specify those were his ONLY choices?

8. Post #88
    Another company needs to step the game with shiny black devices. I'd buy that... if they weren't overpriced obviously.

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,997 Posts
    And so they should because they know what they're buying.
    PFFF HAHAHAHA

It's also funny that you mentioned not doing any heavy duty stuff on the laptop, because if that's the case then why would someone spend $2200 on a laptop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #90
    December 2011
    767 Posts
    Great. Apple now makes a fucktonne of cash from repairs/upgrades. Guess other companies will follow-suit, no more cheap DIY fixing/upgrading. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #91
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    14,147 Posts
    Now where did he specify those were his ONLY choices?

12. Post #92
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    Generally when laptops fuck up, it happens three years down the line, at which point you can buy a far better model for less than the cost of repairing it.

If you get Applecare, you get 3-years warranty where they basically take it away, regardless of what happened, and bring you a brand-new one about 5 minutes later (after porting your files over).

Now generally, in every avenue of consumer culture, you buy to your means, and you don't buy what you can't afford to lose in a reasonable time scale.

If you're a 17-year-old boy who doesn't work, and who's sole income is 'borrowing money from parents' - maybe a $3000 laptop would be a bad decision - because over the 3-years lifespan, you're unlikely to make $3000 by yourself to afford a replacement.

If you're a 17-year-old boy who's got rich parents, then it's fine, buy a $3000 laptop and ignore anyone who calls you a rich cunt or whatever, they're going by everything their experience in life has told them, and so are you. You are doing nothing wrong by living to your means and neither are they (aside from calling you a cunt, that doesn't really contribute anything useful).

If you're a 24 year old graduate who makes $1000 disposable income every month, buy whatever the fuck you want and fuck what everyone else has to say about it, especially 17-year-old's on the internet who are butt-hurt because you bought something that they don't like/ can't afford.

If you're Birdman, buy a $3000 laptop, gold plate it, embed it with diamonds and laugh heartily whilst some hos suck your dick and you enjoy a glass of Hennessy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,598 Posts
    I laughed at the battery being stuck into the computer.

RAM is one thing, but the battery?

And you know everything that will break in this computer will need to be shipped off to have a $15 replacement piece turn into $300 because it's white with a little apple on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,109 Posts
    I hate Apple products.

Their batteries die on you. Which you can service yourself but if you do it at Apple, you're looking at hundreds of dollars in cost
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #95
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts

I know at least seven people that always have apple hardware that was made within the last two years.

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,079 Posts
    I know at least seven people that always have apple hardware that was made within the last two years.
    I pity you for knowing them.
    Well, if they brag about it. If they don't, what's it to you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,048 Posts
    Hasn't apple been actually sued for the "death clock" in some of their products.

It was an I-something and it actually had software that made it stop functioning after X amount of time and promted the owner to get a replacement or repair directly from apple.

Edit: Products which are made to degrade have been around for a long time. It happened with light bulbs and it happened with nylon, the original versions degraded far too slow and the companies developing them decided that they had to degrade faster so that new ones would have to be bought.

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,835 Posts
    The thing I don't get is this whole new retina display technology that came out of nowhere

Unlike OLED which is truely an evolutionary direction in display technology, this just pops up out of no where and appears to be the exact same thing as exisitng display tech, except it double the PPI?

What display technology is it derived from (I.E. TN, IPS, VN, etc)? Is it only just a higher pixel density, and as such just "crisper"? What about view angles/black levels/etc?

It just comes off to me as being just a more expensive, advanced version of current monitor tech rather than something truely next-generation like OLED.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    weren't some washing machines or vacuums or something eventually designed to be shittier and break down more often because the ones before them were so reliable that they ended up losing money in repairs and replacements?

I see apple has adopted this business model
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    March 2010
    1,314 Posts
    Not gonna lie, as indifferent as I am towards Apple, the insides of their computers look great

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,626 Posts
    Not gonna lie, as indifferent as I am towards Apple, the insides of their computers look great
    Mm. too bad you can't change a single thing about them. They might as well just coated the entire board in resin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

22. Post #102
    March 2010
    1,314 Posts
    Mm. too bad you can't change a single thing about them. They might as well just coated the entire board in resin.
    That's why I don't get anything of theirs

23. Post #103
    August 2009
    4,582 Posts
    I don't understand why people still buy Apple. Now Apple is literally saying 'screw you' to the customers. I just don't understand.........
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    I don't understand why people still buy Apple. Now Apple is literally saying 'screw you' to the customers. I just don't understand.........
    me posted:
    Generally when laptops fuck up, it happens three years down the line, at which point you can buy a far better model for less than the cost of repairing it.

If you get Applecare, you get 3-years warranty where they basically take it away, regardless of what happened, and bring you a brand-new one about 5 minutes later (after porting your files over).

Now generally, in every avenue of consumer culture, you buy to your means, and you don't buy what you can't afford to lose in a reasonable time scale.

If you're a 17-year-old boy who doesn't work, and who's sole income is 'borrowing money from parents' - maybe a $3000 laptop would be a bad decision - because over the 3-years lifespan, you're unlikely to make $3000 by yourself to afford a replacement.

If you're a 17-year-old boy who's got rich parents, then it's fine, buy a $3000 laptop and ignore anyone who calls you a rich cunt or whatever, they're going by everything their experience in life has told them, and so are you. You are doing nothing wrong by living to your means and neither are they (aside from calling you a cunt, that doesn't really contribute anything useful).

If you're a 24 year old graduate who makes $1000 disposable income every month, buy whatever the fuck you want and fuck what everyone else has to say about it, especially 17-year-old's on the internet who are butt-hurt because you bought something that they don't like/ can't afford.

If you're Birdman, buy a $3000 laptop, gold plate it, embed it with diamonds and laugh heartily whilst some hos suck your dick and you enjoy a glass of Hennessy

25. Post #105
    August 2009
    4,582 Posts
    I read your post, but that still doesn't justify over-spending for brand recognition. Your post is not insightful. It doesn't change the fact that when a laptop "dies" it's usually a part or two that goes out. On a normal laptop (which would cost less in the beginning) you could just buy a new part, and replace it, thereby fixing it yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Besides, if you get normal laptop (so as long as the mobo doesn't get outdated) you can just upgrade to your hearts content for years and years to come if you like, without having to shell out even more money when Apple releases a new one with a single change in hardware.

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,656 Posts
    The thing I don't get is this whole new retina display technology that came out of nowhere

Unlike OLED which is truely an evolutionary direction in display technology, this just pops up out of no where and appears to be the exact same thing as exisitng display tech, except it double the PPI?

What display technology is it derived from (I.E. TN, IPS, VN, etc)? Is it only just a higher pixel density, and as such just "crisper"? What about view angles/black levels/etc?

It just comes off to me as being just a more expensive, advanced version of current monitor tech rather than something truely next-generation like OLED.
    Going by their past screens, Retina is probably based off IPS panels, but it is literally just a higher pixel density, as far as I know the display is just a IPS with ramped up density, nothing particularly amazing until you pair it with the OS X DPI scaling.

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,671 Posts
    immediate reaction to this article from FP: Fuck you apple

Cept if you read the whole article you can hardly blame Apple for its trend towards this kind of technology - as the article points out it did give us a choice between light, shitty machines and heavier, more reliable ones and the consumer base pretty clearly decided the former was cooler and decided to buy it

I hate the technology too but really it's just a reaction to sales figures and the Apple consumer base are the true idiots here
    Ah, the wonders of the free market: Letting lemmings decide what is the best route to take in "revolutionizing the technology industry".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,172 Posts
    Apple is dragging us into a future of throwing our electronics in the garbage every year and buying new shit.

New shit that is locked down so you can only do what Apple decides to let you do, when Apple decides to let you do it.

Yep, the future of technology is definitely looking up.
    It is, by only doing the stuff people want it to do aka their customers it will get better at doing those things you moron

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,671 Posts
    Apple is dragging us into a future of throwing our electronics in the garbage every year and buying new shit.

New shit that is locked down so you can only do what Apple decides to let you do, when Apple decides to let you do it.

Yep, the future of technology is definitely looking up.
    REVOLUTIONARY!

30. Post #110
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    An Apple Future

A Windows Future

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Dumb Dumb x 29Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #111
    Tuba Player Extraordinaire
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    I don't understand why people here are worried that the rest of the PC industry is going to follow suit and take a step back into the middle ages and start soldering ram into their logic boards.

Apple's ultimate goal with their products is very different from say, Samsung's or Asus' goals. Apple wants a locked down product. They want complete control over it, so that they maximize their dollar while providing a seamless experience. PC manufacturers cater to all demographics, from the tech impaired to power users. They want you to be able to swap out your ram, process, etc. There is absolutely no incentive for them to start soldering their ram into their logic boards and glue their parts to the chassis.

I don't know very many people who bother to repair their laptops once it is beyond their warranty, because by then, there are usually better options out for purchase, and repairs in general can be rather expensive.

PC users are not like Apple users. PC manufacturers and Apple users cater to a completely different user base, it just so happens that these user bases overlap in a few areas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #112
    June 2010
    4,787 Posts
    An Apple Future

A Windows Future

Only the first one can't be fixed or upgraded and is no good after 3 years and the latter works again after rebooting it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #113
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,987 Posts
    Yeah guys its not the end of the world.

Apple users are not retarded lemmings and PCs are not inferior.

Apple laptops have really good build quality and great parts but have no costomizability. It's an even trade. There are other laptops with different pros and cons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #114
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,459 Posts
    An Apple Future

A Windows Future

apple future:

microsoft future:
    Linux future:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    2,466 Posts
    An Apple Future

An Apple future is where if a light bulb burns out you have to replace the whole building.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #116
    August 2009
    9,424 Posts
    An Apple Future

A Windows Future

Totally unbiased.

And macs totally can never have a kernel panic ever.

Nowdays, windows is extremely hard to BSOD unless you are actively trying to break windows (screwing in regedit or with drivers)

Pull your head out your arse and get out of the 90s
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

37. Post #117
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    An Apple Future

A Windows Future

Buildings =/= kernel panics.

Macfag logic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 4 (list)

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Totally unbiased.

And macs totally can never have a kernel panic ever.

Nowdays, windows is extremely hard to BSOD unless you are actively trying to break windows (screwing in regedit or with drivers)

Pull your head out your arse and get out of the 90s
    True, the last BSOD I had was because of a funky driver for a ancient TTL chip.
    and the one before that was because of a bugged driver from ATI (surprise surprise).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #119
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,997 Posts
    Apple's ultimate goal with their products is very different from say, Samsung's or Asus' goals. Apple wants a locked down product. They want complete control over it, so that they maximize their dollar while providing a seamless experience. PC manufacturers cater to all demographics, from the tech impaired to power users. They want you to be able to swap out your ram, process, etc. There is absolutely no incentive for them to start soldering their ram into their logic boards and glue their parts to the chassis.
    This is exactly what people fear because if manufacturers see Apple has a really profitable business model and the media is totally in love with them then what's stopping them from trying to do the same thing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #120
    Tuba Player Extraordinaire
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    This is exactly what people fear because if manufacturers see Apple has a really profitable business model and the media is totally in love with them then what's stopping them from trying to do the same thing?
    The fact that Apple's business model doesn't work for PC manufacturers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)