1. Post #81
    February 2010
    1,929 Posts

Oh it's just too real oh my god.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Winner Winner x 3 (list)

2. Post #82
    January 2012
    128 Posts
    You know, as a vegan I think PETA is fucking stupid. While their idea is cute and dream like, their execution is terrible and is a total embarrassment to all non bat-shit vegans. Also, how come you guys always stereotype vegans as crazy? The vegans I meet aren't crazy cow loving communists. If you're aloud to be pissy about a vegan telling you meat is murder I get to be pissy when a meat-eater tells me I'm going to die without meat. Which, happens a lot more then it should.

I know that isn't the topic of this thread but its been brought up a few times.
    So tl;dr : Not all vegans are insane, and not all of us are on board with PETA and the way they handle situations
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #83
    Dildo Queen 2013
    September 2010
    7,013 Posts
    I'm really not surprised about this, of course they need to communicate in other ways, plants have been around waaaay before creatures started roaming the planet, there's got to be loads more to them than what we know, they've been evolving longer than anything else.

It all reminds me of something from when I was in infants school, we were given sunflower seeds in planted in a plastic cup, and I specifically remember a teacher telling me that if you talk to a plant everyday it'll grow faster.. being about 5 years old I believed her and talked to my sunflower everyday.

My sunflower died :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Funny Funny x 3 (list)

4. Post #84
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,767 Posts
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it said planets and I was full of wat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    5,661 Posts
    What's next, mushrooms have feelings?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,040 Posts
    This is only the beginning!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #87
    So...uh...when I took a shit in the woods that time...the plants where talking about me?

8. Post #88
    March 2007
    3,679 Posts
    So
    Vegans.

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,045 Posts
    because all vegans are vegan because of animal welfare
    Yeah, I guess some of it is self-righteousness too

10. Post #90
    WINNER
    August 2007
    1,617 Posts

Yep.
    Well, until we learn that earthquakes are actually caused by rock sex.
    I used to have a girl in my class that thought rocks grew and got kids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,479 Posts
    I read this thread shortly before mowing a lawn.

After it I realized that the smell drenching my feet is liquid fear.

:|
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    May 2010
    2,331 Posts
    Then that smell is the sweet smell of murder.

13. Post #93
    October 2010
    11,826 Posts
    No matter what you eat, you are going to be a heartless life eating monster. Welp, time to grow some chlorophyll and photosynthesize!
    Those poor innocent photons!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

14. Post #94
    August 2009
    9,424 Posts
    THOSE POOR PLANTS

Now to eat vacuum

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,322 Posts
    I can just imagine cutting a cabbage from the ground, all the others around it detach and roll off.

Edited:

Like a flock of birds
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

16. Post #96
    December 2009
    409 Posts
    I must be the only one here who doesn't understand how the plants vibrate to produce the clicks.
    The article talks about soil being a good medium for sound, but never states/details a way for the sound to be produced.

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    10,332 Posts
    What do they think when I start the lawn mower?

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,508 Posts
    god dammit this is my favorite show

19. Post #99
    July 2011
    6,504 Posts
    I read this as "planets talk and listen to eachother"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,810 Posts
    Think of plants as computer software. They are automated machines that has no intelligence but are programmed to react to certain situation. The software detects a hardware error, it will sends out an error notice. Much like the plants
    Huh, never really thought of plants as software tbh; they seem more like hardware and software together, since they're physical after all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    October 2010
    11,826 Posts
    Huh, never really thought of plants as software tbh; they seem more like hardware and software together, since they're physical after all.
    I think they'd best be described as relatively simple machines with software dictating how they react to everything

22. Post #102
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    18,070 Posts
    I don't get the purpose or how.

How does it know a Herbivore is approaching? Do they see it, smell it? Plants don't have any senses.

And why do they communicate with each other? "Herbivore is coming!" "Oh, alright thanks let me pick up my roots and run away."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    I don't get the purpose or how.

How does it know a Herbivore is approaching? Do they see it, smell it? Plants don't have any senses.

And why do they communicate with each other? "Herbivore is coming!" "Oh, alright thanks let me pick up my roots and run away."
    Plant releases toxins when bitten, other plants notice, release toxin as well.

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    1,186 Posts
    Isnt it painfully Ironic that the Mythbusters tested this several years ago and ended up proving it "Busted"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

25. Post #105
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Isnt it painfully Ironic that the Mythbusters tested this several years ago and ended up proving it "Busted"?
    This is not what they tested.

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    This is pretty cool stuff. I'm glad to know plants and animals are still outsmarting us with underestimated abilities.

But why is everyone so smug about this? It's not as if vegans are doing you harm by not eating animal products, jesus. Besides which, the animals that vegetarians refuse to eat all have at least a central nervous system, if not a brain. Plants release sounds and chemicals when they are physically attacked, not equivocal.