1. Post #1
    August 2008
    204 Posts
    Greetings,

I found out today, that insted of having one 30 slot gameserver for like 30 It decided to get a VPS insted.
    I found some sites which was intresting:

http://www.immortal-servers.com/vps.php - Looks really good, the only problem I found is that it's a Network speed on only 10mbit.
    I sent a mail to them and asked why it was so low and they I recived this: http://pastebin.com/Ek0VPmRs
    I asked my friend which is an webhotel service owner if that was true and he said that either the guy is lieing or that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

So my question is, would this be enough? 10mbit for a Garrysmod 30 slot server. Server active around 7 hours a day with about 10-25 players on.
    And what about the brandwith? 3000gb, is that enough for my server?

http://www.racksrv.com/virtual-priva...rs/xen-windows
    That's the other site I found, I belive it's a bit more expensive, and that you won't get as much out of it as you get with immortal.

http://fanaticalvps.com/unmetered-vps.php
    Saddly, they didn't have windows VPS servers, else those would be great.

http://www.thrustvps.com/
    After I found that site, I also found this, so I'm a bit skeptic for those.

2. Post #2
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,942 Posts
    immortal looks to be run by an illiterate 15 year old, I would stay right away.

Why do you even need windows? garrys mod server binaries for linux have been around for more than a year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    ezio audtioriet
    May 2007
    1,297 Posts
    Not all modules support Linux
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    2,966 Posts
    Not all modules support Linux
    But quite a few do. If the module developer isn't willing to support Linux then that is their problem.

OP: The only VPS provider on that list I can recommend is Fanaticalvps. Make sure you at least check out HexxehVPS as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    June 2009
    2,124 Posts
    With a line of that size you better not piss off those naughty players.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,775 Posts
    http://www.hetzner.de/en/

They also have Windows servers, for a price of course.

It might be a bit pricey compared to others, but I have zero complaints about Hetzner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,232 Posts
    OP: The only VPS provider on that list I can recommend is Fanaticalvps. Make sure you at least check out HexxehVPS as well.
    Another +1 for FanaticalVPS. The only provider I haven't left after two months.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,314 Posts
    bhost. You'll have to go far to find cheaper and better support.

Furthermore, don't go 10mbit. Go 100mbit. I'd hate to think what kind of service players would get with 10mbit..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2008
    204 Posts
    bhost. You'll have to go far to find cheaper and better support.

Furthermore, don't go 10mbit. Go 100mbit. I'd hate to think what kind of service players would get with 10mbit..
    They look pretty alright, but they don't haev windows right? (Xen isn't windows right?) And I want windows no matter what. And the Data Transfer on 750GB/month would that be enough? I mean, people will download content from the server and such, would 750gb really be enough then?

10. Post #10
    June 2011
    121 Posts
    Don't go http://www.thrustvps.com/ if you want your server to be up most of the time I went to them for a vps and it was offline more than it was online
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,697 Posts
    http://thrustvps.com/ is terrible. Their support will claim to help by doing endlessly stupid things (notably shutting down VPSes for various reasons, and claiming that the 20 load average isn't their fault).

I'm with HexxehVPS, which hosts the TShock website as well as update system, and nothing's ever gone wrong with it. Hexxeh is a fantastic host by all means.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2008
    204 Posts
    Those looks really really good: http://layeredlink.com/kvm-vservers/

The only problem is that I heard some said KVM isn't good for game servers?
    What's best? KVM, Xen?
    In KVM and Xen, will I see like a normal windows desktop? cmd and all that?

I still want windows 64-but no matter what.

13. Post #13
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    I can vouch for Hexxeh VPS as well. I've hosted websites, dedicated services and game servers on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    September 2011
    223 Posts
    I'm going to vouch for fraghost. The support is better than five star. I have had absolutely no trouble with them and their staff are so friendly!

They only have two staff, one does sales, one does tech support. but they are some of the best tech support I've ever had the fortune to speak with.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    126 Posts
    I'd say fluctishosting. It's located in French, has great connection, REALLY 99.9% up, cheap and staff is friendly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    2,966 Posts
    I can vouch for Hexxeh VPS as well. I've hosted websites, dedicated services and game servers on it.
    I can't vouch for his VPS since I've never used them but Hexxeh is great and is there for you in your time of need. All of the old BH staff really appreciate his help in getting the internal VPN online back when softlayer killed our public ports. You definitely can't go wrong with his services.

ThrustVPS is a joke. I had a VPS with them for a couple of days a long time ago and it was so bad I outright cancelled without even asking for a refund. Lots of downtime, lag and issues in general.

Another +1 for FanaticalVPS. The only provider I haven't left after two months.
    About to purchase a VPS with them myself. I found the host on WHT a while back and I've been eyeing them ever since. I really like how open they are with everything on their blog - a huge plus in my books. I really should toss something like that up for Elpis.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Unmetered VPS
    June 2010
    1,245 Posts
    Ignore ThrustVPS; have heard too many bad things about them.

And I'd definitely recommend 100mbit minimum for gameserver hosting; 10mbit *should* be OK, but it'll be slow at downloading maps/etc (may also cause lag for players with the map).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    October 2011
    1,842 Posts
    FanaticalVPS is great. I had to leave for financial reasons

19. Post #19
    I'm a Cthulhu!
    January 2011
    5,226 Posts
    I've been using Fanatical for 7 months now, no regrets.
    Fast and stable servers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,314 Posts
    Those looks really really good: http://layeredlink.com/kvm-vservers/

The only problem is that I heard some said KVM isn't good for game servers?
    What's best? KVM, Xen?
    In KVM and Xen, will I see like a normal windows desktop? cmd and all that?

I still want windows 64-but no matter what.
    Okay let me put it down for you from *my* perspective seeming as you "want Windows no matter what".

You are looking to lease part of a bigger server (that's what a VPS is) to host a CPU and memory intensive application on (that's what a games server tends to be). Okay so already you've got an issue - you're going to be extremely limited on any expansion once you have your VPS, and unless you get a shithot provider, I doubt they're gonna be that willing to let you use 80% of their CPU power. Gamemodes are VERY CPU hungry if you've got a lot of players. They go through instructions like nothing else. If you're gonna want to host a database on there for some of the more intensive gamemodes, then you're looking at more resources being used still. Imagine it under full load - 24 slot games server say, playing ooohh Sandbox or something.. That's going to clock up the CPU cycles and memory requirements respectively.

Now, let us look at Windows Server.

Windows Server is good; do not get me wrong. But it's hungry. VERY hungry. When compared to it's equivilent Unix counterpart at least. It has services that run in the background, a GUI, and the newest versions of Windows Server (anything other than 2003, which I guess is what you want with a 64bit requirement) reserve something like 2GB RAM just for the OS. I'm guessing you want Windows Server for the GUI, and because you don't understand Unix CLIs. Okay fine; Unix CLI isn't for everyone. But remember that resource cost of Windows Server. Furthermore, Windows Server is not (or hasn't until recently) been designed to run virtualised. Your resources won't be as efficiently handled as if it were Unix.

Now combine them. Resource-hungry application + Resource-hungry OS = very few choices I'm afraid.

You either want cheap/VPS and go Unix..
    ..or expensive/dedicated and go Windows.

21. Post #21
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,081 Posts
    Windows just doesn't work particularly well virtualised full stop IMO. I've not seen any platform yet where it virtualises well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,314 Posts
    Windows just doesn't work particularly well virtualised full stop IMO. I've not seen any platform yet where it virtualises well.
    vmware (and to some extent, Xen). But then that's completely out of the question.

23. Post #23
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,081 Posts
    vmware (and to some extent, Xen). But then that's completely out of the question.
    I run a pretty large Xen setup, and I've played around with a bunch of Windows versions/configs and never had an acceptable level of performance out of it.

The PV drivers sucked, so disk/network IO sucked pretty bad.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,314 Posts
    I run a pretty large Xen setup, and I've played around with a bunch of Windows versions/configs and never had an acceptable level of performance out of it.

The PV drivers sucked, so disk/network IO sucked pretty bad.
    Yeah I've found similar. I suppose it's entirely conditional on what you use it for. I've used Xen for infrastructure within an internal network and it works fine. Personally I'd host virtualised Windows boxes on vmware anyday. I even heard one report that under vmware, a virtualised Windows box ran faster than it had when it was baremetal. I find that a bit far-fetched to be honest but having used vmware ESX personally I gotta say it's a nice hypervisor. Shame they're so anal about it being resold..

25. Post #25
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    I had a Windows VPS on Virtuozzo a few years ago, it coped fine running a busy CS:S server

26. Post #26
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,081 Posts
    I had a Windows VPS on Virtuozzo a few years ago, it coped fine running a busy CS:S server
    Let me rephrase, "Windows just doesn't work particularly well under any free virtualisation platform".

Virtuozzo is paid, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    ye