1. Post #1
    A true breast lover loves all breasts, regardless of the size.
    May 2010
    2,510 Posts

A self-described homophobic Christian posed as a gay man for an entire year, even “coming out” to family and friends in the process, all to reform his beliefs.

“[I wanted] to see if there was any justification in the fear I had,” Timothy Kurek, of Nashville, told MSNBC.

Kurek, 26, who says his religious upbringing taught him that homosexuality was a sin, launched the experiment in January 2009 after a close female friend broke down in tears and admitted she was gay.

“She had just come out to her family and been brutally disowned,” Kurek said. “She had been excommunicated from her entire life and two words changed it all. Two simple words. I’m gay.”

His friend’s plight caused Kurek to question his faith, and so he began his journey as a fictitious homosexual, beginning by telling his family members he was gay.

“My family was very supportive initially,” he told MSNBC. “They treated me with the love and respect I expected. I don’t think they quite knew how to react to having a gay family member, but, you know, that was the religious barrier there that we are all kind of captive to.”

Kurek said he changed his lifestyle by hanging out at bars and coffee shops in Nashville's 'gayborhood.'

Kurek began to spend less time with his religious circles and hang out in Nashville’s “gayborhood,” mingling with the LGBT community at bars, coffee shops and bookstores.

All the while, he was writing a book about his experience, to be released in October. Kurek is currently running a campaign to raise money through pre-sales of the untitled book, at Indiegogo.com.

He told the Daily News the book will include details about how he interacted with the LGBT community, whether anyone could sense he was actually straight, and what his parents said when he admitted to them that he wasn't really gay, and that his "coming out" was only an experiment.

Kurek admits his less-than-authentic journey cannot match that of an honestly gay man.

“I will be the first one to say that my experience is severely limited,” he told MSNBC. “There is no way I could possibly understand what it’s like to be actually gay.

“And the book itself is not at all about what it is like to be gay, but only about how the label of gay impacted my external life and how those things kind of altered my faith and challenged my beliefs.”
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz1y0fTyBSN
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly x 190Winner x 16Funny x 12Optimistic x 4Informative x 2Late x 1Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2011
    781 Posts
    gayborhood
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 184Agree Agree x 13 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2008
    1,454 Posts
    Reminds me of a story of a white guy who painted himself black to see what it was like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Like_Me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 59Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 4Funny Funny x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,409 Posts
    What a sincere thing to do, that's one awesome way of tackling your phobia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 116Optimistic Optimistic x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,910 Posts
    So if I read this article correctly, this "experiment" made him change his homophobic viewpoint?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 64 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member

October 2009
    4,923 Posts
    gayborhood
    what's good in the neighborhood

what's fabulous in the gayborhood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 95 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2010
    764 Posts
    Sensationalist Title. This seems more like a way to face one's irrational fear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,262 Posts
    Reminds me of a story of a white guy who painted himself black to see what it was like.

i know what books im buying this month
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    699 Posts
    What a fantastic human being.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,784 Posts
    So I wonder just how severely his beliefs were shaken.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

11. Post #11

June 2012
    712 Posts
    Reminds me of the Unlikely Disciple about a not-so-religious man who goes to attend Liberty University (Strikingly conservative and the largest Christian university in the U.S.)
    I'm glad this man did this. Jesus taught to love everybody. Of course, in the eyes of Christians, Homosexuality is still a sin.
    So excommunicating a homosexual is wrong if you don't excommunicate everybody else in the church. Everybody has lied. Everybody has lusted. What Christians are REALLY called to do is love them as if nothing were different. You don't love a "Gay" person, you love a "person". (insert video of Morgan Freeman on Racism) We shouldn't label, but we all do. And that's what causes problems in our society and religion isn't free from it.
    So, at least from my viewpoint of my faith, everybody is equal, we should all love everybody equally regardless of what they do, like his family. They showed him the love he expected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly x 31Agree x 5Funny x 2Winner x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,770 Posts
    Something tells me that he may gradually start feeling that he likes men and come out for real, but I maybe wrong.

Good read
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic x 11Funny x 3Dumb x 2Agree x 2Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts
    What a fantastic human being.
    What because he managed to question his unreasoned hatred for homosexuals?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 13Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    August 2009
    4,246 Posts
    when I saw the title I thought this was going to be extremely offensive
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 47 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2007
    537 Posts
    What because he managed to question his unreasoned hatred for homophobics?
    I think you messed up somewhere when you typed this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 7Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,094 Posts
    Reminds me of the Unlikely Disciple about a not-so-religious man who goes to attend Liberty University (Strikingly conservative and the largest Christian university in the U.S.)
    I'm glad this man did this. Jesus taught to love everybody. Of course, in the eyes of Christians, Homosexuality is still a sin.
    So excommunicating a homosexual is wrong if you don't excommunicate everybody else in the church. Everybody has lied. Everybody has lusted. What Christians are REALLY called to do is love them as if nothing were different. You don't love a "Gay" person, you love a "person". (insert video of Morgan Freeman on Racism) We shouldn't label, but we all do. And that's what causes problems in our society and religion isn't free from it.
    So, at least from my viewpoint of my faith, everybody is equal, we should all love everybody equally regardless of what they do, like his family. They showed him the love he expected.
    I agree.

I'm white and I live in one of the most racially diverse areas of my country (South Auckland, New Zealand). Before that I lived in one of the major Maori-central towns.

Despite this (and despite my deep dislike for racism), I still find myself sometimes making stereotypical judgements, not only about other races but also other 'types' of people, whether it's assuming that all these hard 'biker-gang' types are incapable of compassion or that a 'gangster'-looking teenager is just out looking for a fight.

I think it's an inherent part of being human; the act of grouping people together and making sweeping assumptions. From a survival perspective it makes sense - 'all wolves are dick heads' is a very useful judgement to make when you're living in the forest and letting your guard down may result in being eaten.

I don't think we'll ever get rid of it entirely. It's the expression of those judgemental thoughts that need to be tackled. Whether or not we allow those thoughts to hurt others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 13Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,067 Posts
    Instead of acting like the rest and not question anything? Yes.

Hopefully this will make more people do the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

18. Post #18
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts
    Instead of acting like the rest and not question anything? Yes.
    All American atheists must be fantastic human beings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21 (list)

19. Post #19
    A self proclaimed lyrically philosophical physicist
    October 2008
    1,436 Posts
    No because he questioned his unreasoned hatred for homosexuals because of how severely influenced he was by this belief growing up as a child in a bible pushing home.

And you put homophobic, i hope you know that doesn't mean gay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

20. Post #20
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts
    Oh jeeze, thought that said homosexuals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

21. Post #21
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,378 Posts

I thought he took pills that sped up the tanning process and dyed his skin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,629 Posts
    What because he managed to question his unreasoned hatred for homosexuals?
    Not only questioning his beliefs, but going to such an extent to live in someone else's show is doing better than someone who was never homophobic in the first place.

23. Post #23
    August 2011
    410 Posts
    Was probably gay anyways, found an excuse
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 34Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    August 2009
    2,062 Posts
    hate the sin, not the sinner
    i don't know why more people don't follow this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    12,223 Posts
    People love to hate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,613 Posts
    So if i pretend to be a spider for a year...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 39 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,806 Posts
    Guys its up on indiegogo, why not go give it a look

http://www.indiegogo.com/timothykurek
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,157 Posts
    I agree.

I'm white and I live in one of the most racially diverse areas of my country (South Auckland, New Zealand). Before that I lived in one of the major Maori-central towns.

Despite this (and despite my deep dislike for racism), I still find myself sometimes making stereotypical judgements, not only about other races but also other 'types' of people, whether it's assuming that all these hard 'biker-gang' types are incapable of compassion or that a 'gangster'-looking teenager is just out looking for a fight.

I think it's an inherent part of being human; the act of grouping people together and making sweeping assumptions. From a survival perspective it makes sense - 'all wolves are dick heads' is a very useful judgement to make when you're living in the forest and letting your guard down may result in being eaten.

I don't think we'll ever get rid of it entirely. It's the expression of those judgemental thoughts that need to be tackled. Whether or not we allow those thoughts to hurt others.
    south auckland

I almost feel bad, hahaahha (north shore represent)

If you aren't familiar with south auckland because you don't live in NZ, it was a time of a lot of crime back in the 70s or so. A lot of maoris and pacific islanders went there, and there was pretty much a lot of disorder. It's calmed down a bit but it still has a bad reputation.

29. Post #29
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,398 Posts
    That's actually a rather cool experiment; sure opened his mind it seems.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,999 Posts
    seems like an intelligent man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

31. Post #31
    few words to create space
    January 2009
    7,970 Posts
    Interesting experiment, but to be honest the article didn't go in detail how much it altered his beliefs.

32. Post #32
    June 2010
    307 Posts
    So if i pretend to be a spider for a year...
    GOD DAMN IT YOU STOLE MY-Posting anyways.

And then overnight, I became a spider.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    April 2012
    366 Posts
    He took a big risk telling his parents and friends he was gay, if he really wasn't. If they're Christian and homophobic too (quite likely) they might have just disowned him or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    April 2010
    3,342 Posts
    Interesting experiment, but to be honest the article didn't go in detail how much it altered his beliefs.
    That's why you buy the book.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,761 Posts

Well, I know another book that's going on my christmas list!

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,225 Posts
    I agree.

Exactly. "Everyone's a little bit racist". It's just how far you let it affect your actions.

37. Post #37
    April 2012
    366 Posts
    Exactly. "Everyone's a little bit racist". It's just how far you let it affect your actions.
    I think it's possible to train your mind to not make those sweeping judgements, but would you want to? If you did such a thing, you'd read every single one of those scam emails thinking "oh, but this one might be genuine so I'll apply".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    I think it's possible to train your mind to not make those sweeping judgements, but would you want to? If you did such a thing, you'd read every single one of those scam emails thinking "oh, but this one might be genuine so I'll apply".
    So when you see a scam email from nigerian prince you think "Oh it's from a supposedly black person, must be scam" ??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

39. Post #39
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,793 Posts
    Probably because it's saying "I don't hate you, I hate who you are.".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    This of course excludes bronies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)