1. Post #41
    Wow did no one get both right? I thought they were both really easy

I must be retarded
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #42
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    Good thing I'm a idiot

Edited:

I must be retarded
    the god emperor is never wrong
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

3. Post #43
    October 2010
    11,792 Posts

I must be retarded
    All the article is saying is that the "smarter" you are the more you tend to do questions like this in a very specific way, using "tricks" for lack of a better word. Those questions in the article are examples where those 'tricks" give you the wrong answer. So if you're less intelligent you'd tend to do it out more slowly but actually get the correct answer, where a smarter person would use their "tricks" more quickly and would get it incorrect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,119 Posts

I must be retarded
    I got the kneejerk reaction to the first one (ten cents, one dollar) but figured that couldn't be right and then reasoned it out (then worked it out with algebra to check), and I got the second one right off the bat (because I'm doing physics and exponential increases are pretty intuitive to me now).

Edited:

All the article is saying is that the "smarter" you are the more you tend to do questions like this in a very specific way, using "tricks" for lack of a better word. Those questions in the article are examples where those 'tricks" give you the wrong answer. So if you're less intelligent you'd tend to do it out more slowly but actually get the correct answer, where a smarter person would use their "tricks" more quickly and would get it incorrect.
    The thing is, surely that's just not being intelligent? Seems like a catch 22 to me

5. Post #45
    August 2008
    242 Posts
    -I'm dumb-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    well i'm just sayin' if you took physics and dealt with half-lifes you've already been asked the lily pad question at least once

and yes, the bat is exactly $1.00 higher in price than the ball, with a grand total of $1.10. so divide that extra $0.10 by 2 and add the $0.05 to the price of each
    I took shitty physics. Just one small year so doesn't really counts, might aswell say I didn't
    Although I think I didn't deal with half-lifes at all. What year would you get that +/-?

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,119 Posts
    Bullshit, it cant be 47.

2^t=0.5(48)
    2^t=24
    t=log2(24)=4.6 days
    sequence: 1,2,4,8,16,32,64
    son

what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 2 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    My math exam when I was passing from the 9th grade to the 10th was shitty because of that.

They had a question about inches and meters of a TV screen or whatever it was, and I had no idea of what to do. I never worked with inches in my life, how would I do it?
    Answer was simple. Just had to do one of those "if this = that, then this = X" things, but I thought you needed to do a shitload of math...

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,119 Posts
    2^t is a measure of the size of the lilypad patch, not a time

10. Post #50
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    I got neither but I'm pretty smart... however right now i feel really stupid because of that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,119 Posts
    I got neither but I'm pretty smart... however right now i feel really stupid because of that.
    it's alright i feel stupid 24/7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,836 Posts
    I got both wrong at first

I am so smart

13. Post #53
    Person
    June 2008
    5,595 Posts
    I knew that the lilypad answer wasn't a simple divide by two answer, but I was thinking about it as I kept reading, so I didn't have time to think of the actual answer before I read it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

14. Post #54
    April 2012
    3,342 Posts
    I knew that the lilypad answer wasn't a simple divide by two answer, but I was thinking about it as I kept reading, so I didn't have time to think of the actual answer before I read it
    I just went as far as thinking "it can't be 24 because if it is double the size at 25, then it would be complete"

then I just read the answer, I'm tired...

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,922 Posts
    Biggest problem I have at Uni is jumping at questions and/or not thinking properly and/or not even reading the damn question before answering.
    I'm not talking about going from a B to a C due to it either, I mean shit like losing enough points to go from B to F.

I did get both the questions in the OP right, but in both cases I was damn close to just jumping at the easiest (but wrong) answer.

Edited:

I must be retarded
    Aren't you quite far into Uni (physics was it?)? I'd imagine you get used to it after a while and stop listening to kneejerk reactions.

Edited:

Also it's hilarious when FP starts doing math and physics.

16. Post #56
    I actually don't know how well I did on those because I've seen both of those trick questions before verbatim so I know the answers from memory.

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,629 Posts
    So that means I'm smart? Holy shit, this is news to me!

18. Post #58
    April 2007
    1,982 Posts
    I got both questions wrong. Hooray?

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    11,816 Posts
    The first question is really poorly worded. It leaves a lot of stuff vague; it says a dollar more, when what is really meant is exactly a dollar more, for example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    Can they at least tell us why the ball is 5c?

Seems like a stupid question not backed up

"How much is 2 + 2?

The question is both obvious and wrong, it's 3."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    April 2007
    1,982 Posts

"How much is 2 + 2?

Because if the bat is 1 dollar more, then it is $1.05. Then added with the 5 cent ball, it equals $1.10, which was the total mentioned in the question.

22. Post #62

"How much is 2 + 2?

bat + ball = 1.10 and bat = ball + 1 implies ball + ball + 1 = 1.10 implies 2(ball) = .10 implies ball = .05. Then bat = ball + 1 implies bat = .05 + 1 = 1.05.

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,922 Posts
    The first question is really poorly worded. It leaves a lot of stuff vague; it says a dollar more, when what is really meant is exactly a dollar more, for example.
    How is it vague? It says 1 dollar, which means exactly one dollar. Same with with math problems that give you X=3, you don't go thinking "Yeah but is the X actually 3?".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

24. Post #64
    November 2011
    4,745 Posts
    Took me almost 10 minutes to figure out the correct answer for the first question. I feel dumb.

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    11,816 Posts
    How is it vague? It says 1 dollar, which means exactly one dollar. Same with with math problems that give you X=3, you don't go thinking "Yeah but is the X actually 3?".
    Both two and three are more than one, are they not?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,713 Posts
    I must be pretty smart, because i have no fucking idea about the ball

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    17,691 Posts
    The ball took me a few seconds to do it and I initially just thought that it was a dollar but it's pretty easy to think about twice.

The lily pad was so easy. If it's covering the whole lake and it doubles every day, it only takes one day for it to go from half, to fully covered if it's doubling. No one should struggle with that.

I don't think this means anyones dumb, or smart. Mental math shortcuts are useful but thinking about anything more than once should allow you to doubt yourself and ask the question down different paths.

28. Post #68
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    9,626 Posts
    I fucked up on the Ball and Bat question but I answered Lilypad question correctly, what does that make me?
    You predicted that the 2nd answer would be a "trick the person into answering quickly" question after you learned your lesson from the first one.
    The point was not whether you got it wrong when you read the next sentence, but what your brain first thinks to do.
    In the vast majority of situations these questions the "shortcuts" your brain uses are helpful.

for instance:
    Bob, Joe, and Sam are given 100 chocolate bars each
    Bob ate half of his 20 chocolate bars and had 80 chocolate bars left.
    Joe ate twice as many chocolate bars as Bob and had 60 chocolate bars left.
    Sam ate twice as many chocolate bars as Joe.
    What does Sam have?
    "smart" people will first multiply by four as opposed to doubling the number twice, but the first method is prone to messups. The 2nd, safer method is slower and hence those who use that answer instead are less prone to messups.
    Both methods will lead to the right answer but the first one will be faster in most cases.
    The people who used the first method are "smart," because they answer fast but when given a trick question they are more likely to fuck up.
    Cognitive bias can be ironed out by anyone by just taking the slow route to a question. Truly smart people will know when to use the first method and when to use the second method.

The problem is the only thing they are basing "smart" off of is speed.
    Person A takes 5 seconds to answer 1+1 correctly
    Person B takes 1 second to answer 1+1 correctly
    Person C takes 2 seconds to answer 1+1 correctly
    Which of them is the smartest?
    The most logical answer is person B so we label that person as the smartest.

If you ask them different types of questions before labeling you'll get a different answer.
    Person A got the first question in the article wrong because he's a dumb fuck
    Person B got the first question in the article wrong because he answered quickly and didn't double check
    Person C got the first question in the article right. At first, he found the same answer as B, but caught how it was wrong in the double check.

Now are totals are person A got 1 out of 2 right, person B got 1 out of 2 right, and person C got 2 out of 2 right.

Wasn't B supposed to be the smartest? It's now C according to our new data.

also, the answer to the first question in case you were wondering is    Sam has diabetes   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #69
    "Here’s a simple arithmetic question: A bat and ball cost a dollar and ten cents. The bat costs a dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

The vast majority of people respond quickly and confidently, insisting the ball costs ten cents. This answer is both obvious and wrong. (The correct answer is five cents for the ball and a dollar and five cents for the bat.)"

I'm bad at math and got it wrong

it either means I'm 'too smart' or slightly dumb

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    466 Posts
    I got both of them wrong and still don't know the answers...

The first question was worded weird, at least for me. When I see "a dollar more" I assume that whatever the ball equals the bat is a dollar.

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    5,013 Posts
    I got the first one wrong but after reading 2 words from the sentence afterwards my brain started functioning and I revisited the problem and got it right. Got the lilypad-thing right instantly. I feel so smurt now.

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    1,912 Posts
    if someone were to ask me that I would pretty much know it was a trick question, and think about it a second time before I answered
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,153 Posts
    For some reason, when told that it's a trick question I always get it wrong (I did the same thing the last time this topic came up)

It's as if my brain goes "Better not stuff this up!" then instantly walks into a (metaphorical) wall.

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    it cant be 47.

2^t=0.5(48)
    2^t=24
    t=log2(24)=4.6 days
    sequence: 1,2,4,8,16,32,64

Explain what I did wrong.
    I can do maths too!

Lets say my IQ is x.
    x = a
    if a belongs to the interval [100,200] (lets be realistic) ;
    then x = a ;
    then log x = log a aswell ;
    log 200 = log 20 + log 10 = log 2 + log 100 = 2.301 ;
    log x = log 2 + log 100
    to get rid of the log;
    10^(log x) = 10^(log 2 + log 100)
    x = 10^2.3~
    x = 200

My IQ is 200!

Maths man, you can't prove me wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #75
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,231 Posts
    I often don't even think about certain problems.
    My best description would be "it pops" into my head.

It's extremely strong with writing styles and wording, "picturing" scenes and problems and human motives.

Edited:

I can do maths too!

Lets say my IQ is x.
    x = a
    if a belongs to the interval (99,200] (lets be realistic) ;
    then x = a ;
    then log x = log a aswell ;
    log 200 = log 20 + log 10 = log 20 = log 2 + log 10 = log 2 = 2.301 ;
    log x = log 2
    to get rid of the log;
    10^(log x) = 10^(log 2)
    x = 10^2.3~
    x = 200

My IQ is 200!

Maths man, you can't prove me wrong.
    Yes log20+log10 =log 20 makes totally sense

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    Woops, small mistep, but it matters not!

See, the article is true, smart people screw up!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Spain Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,922 Posts
    I often don't even think about certain problems.
    My best description would be "it pops" into my head.

It's extremely strong with writing styles and wording, "picturing" scenes and problems and human motives.

Edited:

Sometimes, I get the answer to relatively long and difficult problem popping up in my head for no reason, I'd assume it's kinda normal.
    Also I'm quite sure he was being sarcastic.

38. Post #78
    October 2007
    1,240 Posts
    Both two and three are more than one, are they not?
    The article says "a dollar more", not "more than a dollar". I'm a bit worried about people who can't understand the basic arithmetic to solve the problem, even after explaining it to them, but I'm even more worried about people that get it wrong because they can't read.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,359 Posts
    This is why I always make stupid mistakes in exams that seem simple a shit when the teacher explains, I demand a handicap system like in golf.

40. Post #80
    Well, I guess smarter people are more proud of their thinking and therefore, will be more inclined to not accept mistakes they do.