1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,618 Posts
    seriously, if a male official calls someone a cunt, it should be about him being a dick, not about him being a woman-hating conservative
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 6 (list)

2. Post #42
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,746 Posts
    Here, it's like the worst thing you can call a person. Cunt is the only word absolutely unacceptable for any conversation.
    Nobody cares about "here"

this happened in the US. It doesn't matter what meanings and weight a word has in your country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Zing Zing x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    2,125 Posts
    I am more angry because this is an inappropriate thing to say in politics rather than whether or not this is misogynous.

In the end whether or not this was meant to be misogynous is based upon what Frank Foster intended, but that does not make it any less inappropriate.

4. Post #44
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,037 Posts
    seriously, if a male official calls someone a cunt, it should be about him being a dick, not about him being a woman-hating conservative
    does calling somebody out for being a misogynist make you uncomfortable? maybe you should call up your /r/mensrights buddies and talk to them about it. I worry about you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19Funny Funny x 9Zing Zing x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Nobody cares about "here"

this happened in the US. It doesn't matter what meanings and weight a word has in your country.
    I live in the fucking US dude.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

6. Post #46
    December 2009
    4,097 Posts
    The fuck is everyone worked up about? He called some woman a cunt because she wouldn't stop mowing.

He was being a fucking asshole on his own time. What is everyone bitching about?

"Boo hoo people in the world are being douchebags someone please make them go away!"
    When you and your co-representatives just made headlines because you silenced two female representatives for saying "vagina" and "no means no" in response to a bill severely restricting abortion (an issue affecting women, not men), people are going to notice when you call a woman a cunt and fake having a child (an autistic one at that) because you're upset that someone is mowing their lawn.

pretty sure when you call start calling someone a cunt, it's probably not because they're a woman. probably more along the lines of them getting you fired or crashing a car into you or something
    But you're still using a derogatory term for female anatomy. Of course you're not going to just walk up to a random woman and call her a cunt (well, unless if you're Frank Foster, of course), but why use a female-centric term at all, instead of a more neutral one like "asshole", "piece of shit", "fuckwad", or "sheep-fucking shit-for-brains asswipe"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,646 Posts
    that says that it can be a derogatory term for women, whereas "nigger" is exclusively used in a discriminatory context.

not that I doubt the guy in the story was being misogynistic, but your comparison isn't really very valid.

8. Post #48
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    does calling somebody out for being a misogynist make you uncomfortable? maybe you should call up your /r/mensrights buddies and talk to them about it. I worry about you
    ad hominems are popular in these parts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,618 Posts
    yeah sorry sometimes i get a little sad that i cant help but laugh and join in when my father calls my mom a cunt at least twice a day so i go online and pretend i dont

But you're still using a derogatory term for female anatomy. Of course you're not going to just walk up to a random woman and call her a cunt (well, unless if you're Frank Foster, of course), but why use a female-centric term at all, instead of a more neutral one like "asshole", "piece of shit", "fuckwad", or "sheep-fucking shit-for-brains asswipe"?
    Can't really help that cunt has a pretty good way of letting you express your anger, although 'piece of shit' is kind of close
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #50
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,746 Posts
    I live in the fucking US dude.
    well my bad

regardless I am led to believe that "cunt" is usually inoffensive to men unless used in a professional environment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,037 Posts
    yeah sorry sometimes i get a little sad that i cant help but laugh and join in when my father calls my mom a cunt at least twice a day so i go online and pretend i dont
    what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,618 Posts
    -
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    well my bad

regardless I am led to believe that "cunt" is usually inoffensive to men unless used in a professional environment
    Different regions man. In the UK cunt can be said as a joke. In my area the word cunt is matched in offensiveness only by the words nigger and spic. In your area it might be a bit more loose.

14. Post #54
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,746 Posts
    Different regions man. In the UK cunt can be said as a joke. In my area the word cunt is matched in offensiveness only by the words nigger and spic. In your area it might be a bit more loose.
    Well it's Michigan, I would imagine either way "cunt" is offensive esp. to women

15. Post #55
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    17,721 Posts
    Aren't you a shining pinnacle of a great poster?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Zing Zing x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    6,429 Posts
    says who
    me, a man, who has never suffered a day of genuine discrimination in my life. unlike misogyny, misandry isn't a vast social ill which detrimentally affects the lives of countless people; it doesn't exist outside of backwater blogs on the internet.

Edited:

Calling somebody a "Bitch" is an insult to women. Cunt is a general insult.
    Not in the United States it isn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

17. Post #57
    i've never heard men call each other cunts in a serious argument

it's more like getting splashed with water and being like "oh johnny you cunt"
    :C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 16Funny Funny x 8 (list)

18. Post #58
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    me, a man, who has never suffered a day of genuine discrimination in my life. unlike misogyny, misandry isn't a vast social ill which detrimentally affects the lives of countless people; it doesn't exist outside of backwater blogs on the internet.
    who are you to say I've never encountered discrimination in my life, and therefore as a result i cannot comment on these things?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,746 Posts
    just don't splash me with water and we won't have any problems

Edited:

who are you to say I've never encountered discrimination in my life, and therefore as a result i cannot comment on these things?
    How are you to know your discrimination was based on the fact you're a man?

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    6,429 Posts
    except, for someone raised in American society (I understand that the word's social context is different overseas), you can't call a woman a cunt without being a misogynist, in the same way that you can't call a black person a nigger and then pretend to not being a giant fucking racist.

it's an inherently sexist term because it is a gendered insult.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

21. Post #61
    the cunts and dicks are just flying every which way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

22. Post #62
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    17,721 Posts
    the cunts and dicks are just flying every which way
    Don't forget the assholes

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    6,429 Posts
    I'm not saying you can't comment; I'm saying anyone who complains about "misandry" in modern American society is crying big fat crocodile tears because, to reiterate: it's not a vast social ill which yadda yadda yadda

I honestly am not particularly compelled to care about whether or not "dick" is a misandrist term because, right now, in this time and place, misandry isn't a big problem. We can worry about that problem once we've gotten the big problems (the pay gap, employment discrimination, the conservative war on female reproductive rights [all problems of misogyny]) have been dealt with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,092 Posts
    This is sad. A Democrat who used the words Vagina during an abortion debate gets a gag order, but if a Republican calls a woman a cunt walks off without any punishment.

Corruption at its finest.
    That's a faulty comparison. Yelling at a neighbor is quite different than saying something on a televised debate.

25. Post #65
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    I'm not saying you can't comment; I'm saying anyone who complains about "misandry" in modern American society is crying big fat crocodile tears because, to reiterate: it's not a vast social ill which yadda yadda yadda

I honestly am not particularly compelled to care about whether or not "dick" is a misandrist term because, right now, in this time and place, misandry isn't a big problem. We can worry about that problem once we've gotten the big problems (the pay gap, employment discrimination, the conservative war on female reproductive rights [all problems of misogyny]) have been dealt with.
    Misogyny is a huge problem yeah, but it doesn't exclude misandry from existing, even if the latter is much rarer than the former.

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    6,429 Posts
    That's a faulty comparison. Yelling at a neighbor is quite different than saying something on a televised debate.
    The venue doesn't matter: saying "vagina" should never have any repercussions at all. It's a fucking medical term.

Edited:

Misogyny is a huge problem yeah, but it doesn't exclude misandry from existing, even if the latter is much rarer than the former.
    But's the fucking gist: we don't you need to bring up misandry in every single discussion about misogyny or feminism because MISANDRY ISN'T SOMETHING THAT VAST SWATHS OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION SUFFER AT THE HANDS OF.

you don't have to bother mentioning it. trust us: us getting involved with feminism doesn't delegitimize that one terrible, terrible time Susie from math called some boy a dick, so you don't have to bring it up as if it were some sort of "counterexample to the causes of feminism". It isn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    Dennab
    June 2011
    2,108 Posts
    i've never heard dudes call each other a cunt in any other form than a joke

it's an insult towards women. it is by nature misogynistic
    You've clearly never listened to any aussie conversation
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    6,429 Posts
    You've clearly never listening to any aussie conversation
    hey, guy:

that's the disconnect: it's different in the United States

29. Post #69
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    But's the fucking gist: we don't you need to bring up misandry in every single discussion about misogyny or feminism because MISANDRY ISN'T SOMETHING THAT VAST SWATHS OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION SUFFER AT THE HANDS OF.

you don't have to bother mentioning it. trust us: us getting involved with feminism doesn't delegitimize that one terrible, terrible time Susie from math called some boy a dick, so you don't have to bring it up as if it were some sort of "counterexample to the causes of feminism". It isn't.
    Um can't you say that misogyny itself helps perpetuate misandry? I mean you can look at examples like child custody. Women and men are viewed at as having two separate domestic roles, and those roles end up systematically persecuting both sides.

It can be caused by a patriarchy, but still demean men in a similar, if not fully analogous way.

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,092 Posts
    The venue doesn't matter: saying "vagina" should never have any repercussions at all. It's a fucking medical term.
    Of course it shouldn't, but I think you missed my point completely.

31. Post #71
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,746 Posts
    Um can't you say that misogyny itself helps perpetuate misandry? I mean you can look at examples like child custody. Women and men are viewed at as having two separate domestic roles, and those roles end up systematically persecuting both sides.

It can be caused by a patriarchy, but still demean men in a similar, if not fully analogous way.
    Men are viewed differently by society but I would never call it misandry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    6,429 Posts

but that's not misandry. It doesn't root from any anti-male sentiment: it's men being collateral damage of misogyny.

I completely agree, and it's important point to note, that men can oftentimes be victims of misogynist attitudes themselves; but It's still misogyny that is at the core of those harmful attitudes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #73
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    i've never heard dudes call each other a cunt in any other form than a joke

it's an insult towards women. it is by nature misogynistic

Hahaha clearly you haven't been to Australia

cunt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,086 Posts
    you've never experienced discrimination for BEING A MAN, is what he meant

although he could have worded it slightly better I guess

35. Post #75
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,746 Posts
    Hahaha clearly you haven't been to Australia

cunt
    oh my god you can't be serious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    Australian culture 101: "oi, cunt" is an acceptable alternative to "hello"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 3 (list)

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    6,429 Posts
    For example, in that domestic roles example you used, both domestic role stereotypes are prescribed by misogynist attitudes. Sexism against women dictates that they, supposedly being the less powerful sex, have to stay at home and raise the family, and the same sexist attitude against women (they are less powerful/capable) leaves men to fill in the gap and leave the home to do labor to provide for the woman.

Both sexes are ultimately harmed (via being restricted to certain domestic roles) by a single, anti-woman social attitude.

Edited:

you've never experienced discrimination for BEING A MAN, is what he meant

although he could have worded it slightly better I guess
    he very well could have experience prejudice, but not discrimination of any meaningful sort.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,931 Posts
    For example, in that domestic roles example you used, both domestic role stereotypes are prescribed by misogynist attitudes. Sexism against women dictates that they, supposedly being the less powerful sex, have to stay at home and raise the family, and the same sexist attitude against women (they are less powerful/capable) leaves men to fill in the gap and leave the home to do labor to provide for the woman.

Both sexes are ultimately harmed (via being restricted to certain domestic roles) by a single, anti-woman social attitude.
    Interesting way to look at it; might help explain why women tend to receive favor when it comes to divorce trials (especially custody) and other legal problems.

39. Post #79
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts

Yes, but in my original post I was pointing out that Sanius stating that misandry does not exist is a fallacy. I think that Misogyny is a real and serious problem, but to state that misandry (A much smaller problem in comparison) does not exist is bad too.

40. Post #80
    Fuck my state seriously. Look at this conservative facebook page too for my state, filled with the biggest idiots I've ever seen, look at this (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michig...15226298495220) here's a quote from one of their statuses "Liberals tell rapists, women don't have the right to be armed against their attacks. A liberal is the best friend of a rapist. Yet it's the conservatives who have a 'war on women'?"
    Grabbed from that page
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)