1. Post #1
    Best Gamemode Ever
    July 2011
    1,578 Posts
    Me and Bloodwave are co-developing a gamemode and we are stumped for ideas, so we're asking you guys what you look for in a gamemode.

So Facepunch, what do you look for in an optimal gamemode?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    521 Posts
    Something that is original, would be replayable, has an appropriate art style and is fun to play. If you want some more specific ideas, glhf finding good ones.

If you plan on it being a large project, I'd also suggest not planning too much before starting on the actual work; otherwise, you'll probably lose interest.

3. Post #3
    Best Gamemode Ever
    July 2011
    1,578 Posts
    I need some more specific ideas here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    taste the salty dong
    September 2009
    1,821 Posts
    Something that is new, well done, adds a new level of gameplay, or is fun and satisfying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Briglair Gaming
    May 2012
    35 Posts
    A gamemode that would work with the map the server is on? Say if your on a server with a tornado map then you would like the gamemode to have a style related to the map... Like news reporters for warnings. A dark GUI, and a few other things. Though things i personally like is the PERP style how there is a black border around the screen and you can run out of breath. Realistic gamemodes are cool!

6. Post #6
    Conna is finally become inter-national dick. Conna 애미뒤진 씹새끼^^
    December 2008
    1,726 Posts
    Harvest moon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Korea, Republic of Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,126 Posts
    GAMEmodes. I want more gamemodes that feels like fun games, less slow paced roleplaying and gritty shooters. I want more fast casual gamemodes where you compete against other players, preferably without them being simple Deathmatch type games.

8. Post #8
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,877 Posts
    Teamwork is underrated. Co-op teamwork games can be fun too. Onslaughts, etc.

9. Post #9
    May 2009
    917 Posts
    Onslaughts,
    I was working on Onslaught:Evolved for the beta, but I got stumped when the items stopped being sent to the client. No idea why it happens, it's included and AddCS'd in the init.lua, and included again in the cl_init.lua.

10. Post #10
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,877 Posts
    Well you must be doing something wrong somewhere, because all my stuff works fine in the beta, and i send a lot of shit to the client.

11. Post #11
    Conna is finally become inter-national dick. Conna 애미뒤진 씹새끼^^
    December 2008
    1,726 Posts
    Advancing teamwork is not really hard. Just make a new snpc for that, and make that npc can kick some asses easily and set high shared bounty(or item dice for participant) then people will stick together and try to kill that snpc.

I made a gun shooting 150hp npc scanner and it was so l33t.
    Also it was too hard to kill as fuck and some people quit my game.

Average hardcore is good man.

12. Post #12
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,671 Posts
    Myself?

Games that encourage players to work together, and punishes people who lone wolf.

Some degree of team-wide strategy is always nice, but no so much that you basically need a super-tightly-knit group of players working together to accomplish their goals - I should be able to drop into a random server, into a random team, and still be able to operate fairly well.

The goals and controls of the game should be fairly straightforward, not too dumbed down, and not too complex. If I can't understand at least the basics of the game within five minutes of playing, I'll probably get a bit frustrated with the game.

Gameplay mechanics beyond simple "Go to X, kill Y, defend Z, and buy W" are important, too. You can have those elements, but don't make them the entirety of the game, unless you put some interesting and nonconventional spin on it.

And no fucking RP. RPGs are okay, if done well, but no fucking RP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    3,977 Posts
    Replay-ability is a big factor, that and a reason to continue to play.

14. Post #14
    October 2007
    58 Posts
    What I look for in a gamemode, fun. But that isn't allowed anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    I am not a billboard.

July 2009
    502 Posts
    Hahaha, someone could come up with a red-light district like gamemode with special animations system. :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16

May 2010
    1,092 Posts
    Fun

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    573 Posts
    A possible HL2 campaign gamemode with a different kind of gameplay.