1. Post #81
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,941 Posts
    the iPad has a civilization game that sucks but it works on a device that is 400 dollars

the Intel version of Surface better not be too expensive
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    usa
    Developer
    December 2011
    2,268 Posts
    I hope my userland exploits still work on this device so that I can muck around with it entirely.

3. Post #83
    Dennab
    May 2007
    1,218 Posts
    I've loved windows 8 from the developer preview I tried months ago. I knew that the integration between tablet and laptop would be amazing, I tried to tell some of you in that "MICROSOFT DONT GUUNNA HAVE A START BUTTON IN WINDOWS 8 BAWWWWW" thread, and I got spammed with boxes.

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    4,996 Posts
    Benchmarks of the processor integrated graphics in the Intel CPU. Not the same CPU so the frames won't be quite the same but for a tablet... Even around these frames would be pretty nuts.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    19,906 Posts
    Am I the only one that thinks this design is dumb as shit?

They took the normally flattest part of your laptop, the monitor, and the bulkier part, the keyboard and processor/Mobo/HDD/etc under that, and switched them. So now you have this ultra thin keyboard, and a a screen that actually IS top heavy now, requiring a rest like a picture frame
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16 (list)

6. Post #86
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,716 Posts
    This new Microsoft stuff looks pretty good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #87
    October 2009
    9,311 Posts

They took the normally flattest part of your laptop, the monitor, and the bulkier part, the keyboard and processor/Mobo/HDD/etc under that, and switched them. So now you have this ultra thin keyboard, and a a screen that actually IS top heavy now, requiring a rest like a picture frame
    But it doubles as a tablet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

8. Post #88
    April 2011
    781 Posts

except it's a tablet and not a laptop. do you want twelve pound accessories?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #89
    October 2009
    9,311 Posts
    Now the question is... How much will it cost?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    4,996 Posts

...Are you complaining about the fact that it might topple over if you stand it up without opening the stand? It's a fucking tablet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #91
    Benchmarks of the processor integrated graphics in the Intel CPU. Not the same CPU so the frames won't be quite the same but for a tablet... Even around these frames would be pretty nuts.

The way this guy talks plus the sound of his voice remind me of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    Certified Witch - Cutie Department
    April 2007
    13,764 Posts

almost 60 fps on tf2 on that intel 4000 with the textures and stuff on high but no anti-alias

this makes me want the surface more

13. Post #93
    The keyboard really looks bad in other colors then black, I don't understand why it's sky blue as the first image they show on their main website.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    4,996 Posts
    almost 60 fps on tf2 on that intel 4000 with the textures and stuff on high but no anti-alias

this makes me want the surface more
    That was a pretty shit bench for TF2 though. He was just chilling in the training room. Good luck seeing that performance when you actually play the game.

15. Post #95

Does not give a great first impression, that color.

EDIT: Automerge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    4,996 Posts

Looks like a bath toy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 4 (list)

17. Post #97
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,311 Posts
    But it doubles as a tablet.
    It doesn't double as a tablet, it IS a tablet!

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    17,932 Posts
    PVTCupcakes, explain why this is going to be bad, seriously, you can't say it will be and not explain with some at least subjective points.

19. Post #99
    December 2009
    409 Posts
    It looks sexy, but keep that desktop layout tablets only.
    Also that keyboard does not look like fun.

Whatever, this is the tablet market's decision and not mine.

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,058 Posts
    If the Pro version isn't too expensive it sounds like a pretty good replacement for my aging laptop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    823 Posts
    Too bad these things are always like 700
    I would almost buy once if they could reduce the price to something like 200

22. Post #102
    So it can only run the tablet version of windows 8, not the desktop one?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    823 Posts
    So it can only run the tablet version of windows 8, not the desktop one?
    The only difference is the processor architecture as fara as i know - the ARM version of surface won't be able to run your typical .exe files you have on your desktop machine

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,098 Posts
    To me it looks like a really thin touchscreen laptop with a hinge that doesn't work so it needs a fold out stand making it clumsy to use if you're resting it on anything other than a desk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #105
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    the pro tablet also has a i5 Ivy Bridge Processor.
    I have that in my DESKTOP
    Jesus christ
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,826 Posts

EDIT: Automerge.
    Blues my favourite colour, but I can never see myself using a keyboard out in public, maybe as a cover but jesus if anything I like using a touch keyboard on the go, not a physical keyboard for some reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    I have that in my DESKTOP
    Jesus christ
    i plan on buying the pro version as a winter tablet and it'll double as a portable space heater
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

28. Post #108
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    i plan on buying the pro version as a winter tablet and it'll double as a portable space heater
    I know, my CPU is currently idling at 98 degrees and I have a fucking industrial server heatsink on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    866 Posts
    I'm guessing this will be priced competitively relative to an iPad.

30. Post #110
    September 2010
    2,352 Posts
    I don't get why people are thinking this is so revolutionary.
    It's a touch screen laptop with a detachable keyboard.

...Not like there's 30 other touchscreen ultrabooks coming out soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    4,996 Posts
    It's a touch screen laptop with a detachable keyboard.

...That's the point? A laptop in a tablet form factor and hopefully a tablet price tag.

What aren't people getting here. Maybe Microsoft did too good of a job or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #112

May 2006
    9,040 Posts
    It's a touch screen tablet with a detachable keyboard.

Fixed, all those ultrabooks won't mean shit to people that want a tablet more than a laptop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #113
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,499 Posts
    I wouldn't mind buying one just for the sake of it, and it's great portability from the looks of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #114
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,052 Posts
    I'd love to have the Ivy version, really. I don't use my desktop that much anymore and the hardware in the Surface should be quite enough for my tasks.

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,670 Posts
    Neither can the ARM surface.

Edited:

If you're even considering buying the intel one, lol
    Why? Because it's compatible with a buttload of programs? Because it's flinging fast, unlike many of the ARM tablets out their? Why you may consider x86-64 to just be power hungry, it's really fast compared to ARM - ARM tablets are just now getting around the 1500ms mark on sunspider, while this'll probably do ~300ms. And if you look at some "real" benchmarks" - cinebench, 3DMark, etc., you'd see very very different results. If they put a large enough battery in it, you'll be fine. This guy's using a second-generation i5 (not Ivy Bridge), and it still does 5 to 5.5 hours with a few heavy apps open, lik e Photoshop and such. This'll be Ivy Bridge, have a slightly larger battery and run Windows 8, which supposedly is more battery efficient. This sounds like some ~7 hours of action, with medium usage. And this is a workload you'd never be able to do on an iPad or Android tablet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #116
    Gold Member

August 2007
    2,987 Posts
    Seeing this posted on facebook saddens me to see how many people are calling this an inferior ipad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

37. Post #117
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,115 Posts
    For some reason quite a few tech sites are bashing the stylus, yet to me that's like the defining feature and pretty much why I was interested in the Samsung Note.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #118
    Dennab
    March 2010
    1,464 Posts
    I'm sitting watching the keynote right now, they've just done the family shot. All I can think about this whole thing is "meh". I'm really not a fan of 16:9 screens on anything, never mind a tablet.

In regards to the multitasking stuff they're doing where you can drag the program from the side, they're just creating solutions to problems that didn't exist before. All I can think is "right, so in Windows 8, I can open another program while another one is running? But... I can have more than 2 things open in windows 7 right now. Why would I need this?".

Am I the only person who thinks this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    The side view is horrifying. Why is the screen the thickest part? Does the keyboard slide in at least?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 23 (list)

40. Post #120
    July 2010
    985 Posts
    It looks great, but I'm interested in the price, the battery life and the amount of third party support.