1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    13,118 Posts

What is Receiver
    Receiver was created for the 7-day FPS challenge to explore gun handling mechanics, randomized levels, and unordered storytelling. Armed only with a Colt 1911 A1 and an audiocassette player, you must uncover the secrets of the Mindkill in a building complex infested with automated turrets and hovering shock drones.

Features:
    In depth gun mechanics: Interact with the slide, cock or uncock the hammer, load an empty magazine with new bullets, turn on the safety so you don't accidentally waste a bullet.

Enemy damage models: Each enemy has a visible camera, weapon, battery, and motor. These separate parts react to damage differently and affect how the enemy behaves after the shot. Shoot the killbot's camera and he can't see you, shoot out its weapon and it can't hurt you. Blind a turret and it will forever search for a target it can't see.

Permanent death: One shot to the goo, and you're starting over.

Random world: Each playthrough will have a different building layout, enemy placements, ammo stashes, cassette tape placement.

Random gun condition: You might start with three full magazines in your inventory, you might start with only a single bullet in the chamber.

The world expands as you find audio cassette tapes scattered around the building and slowly learn about the Receivers, Killbots, and the Mindkill.
    [URL]
    [URL]

Update 1:
    - Fixed problem with falling through the floor in one of the rooms
    - You can now remove rounds from a magazine with 'r' when gun is holstered (e.g. to combine two half-full magazines)
    - Made hover bots louder so they are easier to detect
    - Added a restart-game button in case you get stuck (hold 'L')
    - Fixed problem inability to run when gun is holstered
    - Disabled gun shadow (players report that it is weird to see a gun shadow without a body shadow)
    - Mouse cursor disappears automatically when alt-tabbing into the game
    - Splash screen correctly fades to black when starting new game
    - More descriptive input names in configuration window
    - Brighter muzzle flash illumination
    CONTENT UPDATE 1:
    -Maglite: Find one or spawn with one. Harries technique animation. Some rooms darkened to accommodate its usage. It will run out of batteries!
    -S&W Model 10 Revolver: Double action or manual cocking, reloading using extractor rod. Bullet casings may expand in the chamber, causing harder reloads. Spin the cylinder, because why not!
    -Glock 17: Full auto, 17 bullet mag, simpler than the default.
    -Gun Distance Slider: Move the gun closer to your face if you want to look down the sights!
    It's now on Steam Greenlight! Vote up for it to show up on Steam! If successful, any previous buyers or Overgrowth preorderers will get a Steam code for no extra charge.

Click here to vote for it!

How do I buy Receiver?
    Buy it for only $5 at: http://www.wolfire.com/receiver

Or, if you've preordered Overgrowth, check the secret preorder forum!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 44Funny x 2Optimistic x 2Agree x 1Artistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    December 2007
    2,827 Posts
    Played it, it's quite fun mastering the gun mechanics. Only things it needs is

- A little more than a ridiculously small amount of health (falling a distance of more than 5 feet or getting shot/zapped a single time will kill you every time)
    - More notification when you've killed turrets (ie, smoke/sparks, maybe a special impact sound)
    - A fucking flashlight goddamn
    - A more logical control scheme (ie, E is to eject your clip and Z is to insert it again, while pressing E with your clip out just drops it. There's plenty of stuff like that that makes sense in theory but in practice is just cumbersome. I don't want the game to be less complex at all but the controls themselves could do with a slight streamlining/retouching)
    - Something to do besides wander around and hunt for tapes
    - More enemy types
    - More apparent lighting so you judge turret movement a little better

I do fully understand that this was a 7day FPS though, I'm just saying they're charging five dollars for this is all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 35Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    40 Posts
    Looks good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    YOU ARE DUMB AND NOBODY LIKES YOU
    January 2010
    6,334 Posts

- A little more than a ridiculously small amount of health (falling a distance of more than 5 feet or getting shot/zapped a single time will kill you every time)
    - More notification when you've killed turrets (ie, smoke/sparks, maybe a special impact sound)
    - A more logical control scheme (ie, E is to eject your clip and Z is to insert it again, while pressing E with your clip out just drops it. There's plenty of stuff like that that makes sense in theory but in practice is just cumbersome. I don't want the game to be less complex at all but the controls themselves could do with a slight streamlining/retouching)
    - More enemy types

I do fully understand that this was a 7day FPS though, I'm just saying they're charging five dollars for this is all.
    people spend sixty dollars for games that have less content than this does so five bucks is pretty reasonable

although you should be ashamed if you don't have overgrowth already preordered
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 110Agree x 3Informative x 1Late x 1Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    December 2007
    2,827 Posts
    people spend sixty dollars for games that have less content than this does so five bucks is pretty reasonable

I already do, so I don't feel robbed or anything. Also, this game, despite having nice complex gun mechanics, has almost no content. Two enemy types (one of those enemy types is the same as the other only it moves around), one gun, half a goal and a bunch of dark, low-res samey rooms. A couple of free 7Day FPS games had more content and polish than this, though they were less ambitious.

Like I said, a price tag assumes they're going to work on it bit by bit for a while, I just hope they make it nice and rounded out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    If clothing didn't exist and everyone walked around with their penises fully erect I would have all the bitches.
    May 2009
    23,446 Posts
    Looks... Decent. I've been pretty upset with wolffire games because I thought overgrowth would be better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 40Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2010
    6,334 Posts
    o i was just saying this game has more re-playability than sixty dollar games

if there was more substance than cassette collecting it could span out and be amazing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,961 Posts
    I've been pretty upset with wolffire games because I thought overgrowth would be better.
    What do you mean by that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

9. Post #9
    January 2010
    6,334 Posts
    Looks... Decent. I've been pretty upset with wolffire games because I thought overgrowth would be better.
    you do realize that overgrowth is still in extreme alpha stages right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    December 2007
    2,827 Posts
    o i was just saying this game has more re-playability than sixty dollar games

if there was more substance than cassette collecting it could span out and be amazing
    I don't know about you but I had a fun 10 minutes and found no reason to play again. I had already mastered gun handling and fooling turrets, and there's so far no configuration of enemies or level design that forces me to change my tactic of "wait for the blue light to pass and go in to shoot the turret's scope". Just my two cents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    January 2010
    6,334 Posts
    no wonder why five dollars is a ripoff, you are throwing loose change everywhere. you can have your two cents BACK!!!

idk though. to me this game has a supreme amount of polish to it despite it not having that many features. between all of the blatant things they could seriously make another full-fledged game out of it with the current art style it has right now and seriously make another killer title
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    December 2007
    2,827 Posts
    no wonder why five dollars is a ripoff, you are throwing loose change everywhere. you can have your two cents BACK!!!

idk though. to me this game has a supreme amount of polish to it despite it not having that many features. between all of the blatant things they could seriously make another full-fledged game out of it with the current art style it has right now and seriously make another killer title
    That's what I'm saying, it has mountains of potential and I hope they work on it. I'm just pointing out the flaws to let off some steam here. I don't hate it or feel like I've wasted my time but I really want this game to be improved and expanded. I think a major turn-off for me is that if you die it does not impact you at all, despite being perma-death. You have no abilities, items or even ground to gain since the map layout is random. When you respawn you get a random allotment of ammo and everything, so you lose and gain nothing but shitty tapes all throughout.

13. Post #13
    If clothing didn't exist and everyone walked around with their penises fully erect I would have all the bitches.
    May 2009
    23,446 Posts
    you do realize that overgrowth is still in extreme alpha stages right
    Even when It's finished I still probably would not like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    nox
    March 2007
    2,208 Posts
    I want this and Smod: Tactical to make babies. I'm reminded of playing with the cool guns people make in Algadoo/Phun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

15. Post #15
    December 2007
    2,827 Posts
    Even when It's finished I still probably would not like it.
    Then why bother talking about it? At that point it means it's not your cup of tea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    1,183 Posts
    I wonder what the exact plot is and what is the Mindkill?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,700 Posts
    This looks more like a demo for a mechanic that could be in one of their future game than an actual 5$ release, in my opinion.

It still looks neat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,264 Posts
    They pretty much sacrificed fun for ~realism~ here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 37Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,950 Posts
    if you really think this you haven't put enough time into it

it's very tense and you have to manage your shit properly. the controls are kinda shitty but you get used to them real quick
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

20. Post #20
    December 2007
    2,827 Posts
    if you really think this you haven't put enough time into it

it's very tense and you have to manage your shit properly. the controls are kinda shitty but you get used to them real quick
    I thought it was tense too until I realized you had nothing to lose and the order of the tapes is random so you can get the whole story even if you die a bunch of times.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,827 Posts
    Okay, 3 tapes... looking around... Oh i hear another tazebot... where is he... ther- ohfuck -aims, pulls trigger, click- NOHMYGODAMNIT I DIDN'T LOAD A ROUND -FZZZZZZZZZZZZZ-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,355 Posts
    You're really missed the entire point of the game

It's about a controlling a really detailed gun. Not much more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

23. Post #23
    December 2007
    2,827 Posts
    You're really missed the entire point of the game

It's about a controlling a really detailed gun. Not much more.
    It's kinda shitty that they would charge $5 for a tech demo though. Just hoping they'll expand it and do a Minecraft style payment system (though hopefully not to a point where it reaches $30).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,950 Posts
    It's kinda shitty that they would charge $5 for a tech demo though. Just hoping they'll expand it and do a Minecraft style payment system (though hopefully not to a point where it reaches $30).
    I wish they'd give us the source code

I'd add a few guns in myself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

25. Post #25
    "Gold Member"
    Dennab
    May 2007
    13,705 Posts

Did they ever claim it was anything else

If you think it costs too much, don't buy it.

This is not a fucking hard concept to understand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    This owns so fucking hard

I just want more enemy types.

Edited:

It's $5 for fuck's sake. It costs you about as much as a meal deal at mcdonalds or some shit.

They've come up with more innovation in 7 days than the entire industry has in the past 5 fucking years.

I don't know whether to applaud wolfire or to lament the industry....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,570 Posts
    This game is really cool, but still a bit buggy. Just played and got 5 tapes, then I backed into a wall and got thrown across the map and killed.

Really cool mechanics though, and I love the voice overs from the tapes. It's a really tense game.

28. Post #28
    December 2007
    2,827 Posts
    Did they ever claim it was anything else

If you think it costs too much, don't buy it.

This is not a fucking hard concept to understand.
    I'm saying this from a position of already having pre-ordered overgrowth and therefore getting it for free. I'm shitting on it out of love. You don't need to rabidly defend something to like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,049 Posts
    There are two glitches that REALLY need to get fixed.
    1. The enemies can spot you and kill you through walls and floors sometimes.
    The turrets shoot at me through walls, and the flying zap-bots phase through the floor and zap me.
    2. You can fall through the floor in some areas.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,169 Posts
    fucking drones how do they work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    I recorded a gameplay after messing with it for a while. I feel I did pretty good against about 9 turrets at once.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    1,553 Posts
    Pretty intense game. And unique. Just what I come to expect from Wolfire. Although I personally wouldn't buy it for $5 or whatever. Very interesting, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    May 2007
    356 Posts
    Shit, Just got back from playing this in the dark. The controls are pretty easy once you get em down, I got used to em about 5 minutes into playing.

Its creepy how intense it gets, When the flying drones are flying at me, I get the heebie jeebies.

I react how I would if something is coming at me or chasing me...strange.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,049 Posts
    K, so I know to shoot the turrets at the brownish part that casts the light, but where the hell do I hit the flying drones? I just know that if you shoot somewhere around the bottom of them, they break down.

35. Post #35
    Here is my video on the game. I love it. And I hope they expand on it. Especially since it's for 5 dollars.

Thumbnail is to attract kids and COD people.

Edited:

Also I mispelled it in the title. It's fixed now but might take time to refresh on YT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 11Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,048 Posts
    Holy fuck this game is intense.

That feeling when you see that drone barreling at you than bang click click click, no ammo.

And where the hell do you shoot turrets. The only place where it seems to work is the sensor with the light.

My attempt at trying to take out a turret.
    That last bullet failed. So then I sprinted past that turret only to find a turret around the next little pillar.

Edited:

- More enemy types

I think that the E for eject and drop is so you can changes mags quickly when things get heated. Double tap E pick a mag and slap it in.

37. Post #37
    September 2009
    183 Posts
    I've played it for the last few hours now and I must say that I love the atmosphere. It's awesome to know that the difference between your success and your failure is whether you forgot to pull back the hammer or you failed to shoot out the cameras on the turrets. The only thing I have to complain about is the ridiculously low health (one shot kills) and the frequent bug where you fall through the floor.

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts

Less content? The fuck 60 dollar game are you talking about? And don't give me that bandwagon sheeple shit "MODERN WARFARE HERP" because, whether you like it or not, it has, for many people, hundreds of hours of content.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    729 Posts
    Why is this game so demanding? My computer starts freaking out and heats up pretty quickly while playing this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,802 Posts
    People are really saying this has more content than CoD? I mean, I'm aboard the CoD hate bandwagon as much as the next guy, but come on, saying this has more content is absurd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 33 (list)