1. Post #1
    April 2011
    2,653 Posts
    http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16248490

The world's population is in danger of running out of food if obesity growth is not tackled, scientists are warning.

The weight carried by fat people could have the same impact on food demands as an extra one billion people, researchers claim after examining the average weight of adults across the globe.The authors of the study - scientists from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine - said that the energy requirement of humans depends not only on numbers but average mass.

And tackling population weight is crucial for food security and ecological sustainability, they suggest.

"Everyone accepts that population growth threatens global environmental sustainability - our study shows that population fatness is also a major
    threat," said Professor Ian Roberts, who led the research at LSHTM.

"Unless we tackle both population and fatness, our chances are slim."

The world's adult population weighs 287 million tonnes, 15 million of which is due to being overweight and 3.5 million is due to obesity, according to the
    study being published in BMC Public Health.

The data, collected from the United Nations and the World Health Organisation, shows that while the average global weight per person was 62kg
    in 2005, Britons weighed 75kg and the average adult in the US weighed in at 81kg.

Across Europe, the average weight was 70.8kg, compared with 57.7kg in Asia.

More than half of people living in Europe are overweight compared with only 24.2% of Asian people. Almost three-quarters of people living in North
    America are overweight.

The United Nations predicts that by 2050 there could be a further 2.3 billion people on the planet and that the ecological implications of the rising
    population numbers will be exacerbated by increases in average body mass, researchers said.

They forecast that if all people had the same average body mass index as Americans, the total human biomass would increase by 58 million tonnes.
    I understand that this is sensationalist. There is no reason to bring it up for the first seven posts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 51 (list)

2. Post #2
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    3 quarters of people in North America are overweight? That sounds rather dubious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 55Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2006
    608 Posts
    Have a quote: "One day the poor will be so poor, that only thing left to eat is the rich"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 43Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,368 Posts
    I know this will sound horrible, but we need to implement a system to limit amount of food people can buy based on how many people are in the family.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Agree Agree x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    January 2012
    739 Posts
    Uh what.

So it isn't obesity but rather a different way of phrasing "all the food is going to these countries" which is a thing that has been happening since forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    Have a quote: "One day the poor will be so poor, that only thing left to eat is the rich"
    Another take on that is "one day the rich will have nothing to eat except money"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    5,050 Posts
    Yeah.

8. Post #8
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,230 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Friendly Friendly x 9Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    I know this will sound horrible, but we need to implement a system to limit amount of food people can buy based on how many people are in the family.
    Sounds like a human rights conflict waiting to happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10

June 2012
    712 Posts
    That's just rationing. Governments have done it tons of times in times of war.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    February 2010
    1,929 Posts
    They are like saying Asians are the healthiest when they can barely even afford any food, and starve for so long. Like North Korea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2005
    110 Posts
    They are like saying Asians are the healthiest when they can barely even afford any food, and starve for so long. Like North Korea.
    Because North Korea is all of Asia.

And if that were the case, i'm pretty sure Africa would be the "healthiest".

As far as i've seen, most people in Asian countries just have a healthier diet, but then again, I HAVE been seeing more and more fat kids in Singapore the last time I was there.

The cause, from my point of view, is more and more Mac's, KFC's and Burger Kings and *insert actually shitty fast food restaurant here* popping up around there.
    Problem is actually not even the restaurants, but the parents that just allow the kids their junk food whenever they want.

Edit:
    Slightly more on topic, I hope in +/- 40 year's people have already realised that some should really have a change of diet. Not even because of the food reserves, just for general health.

13. Post #13
    Dennab
    June 2011
    2,108 Posts
    That title is the most sensationalist bullshit I've seen in a while fuck I had to say it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    Then we better just kill 6 billion people. What if we get to 11 billion people in 25 years and can't feed ourselves!?!?!?

/cough

15. Post #15
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    3 quarters of people in North America are overweight? That sounds rather dubious.
    Article's pure bullshit. There's been studies done that prove the earth contains enough food for the world population 3 times over. It's just the distribution of the food that's lackluster
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    866 Posts
    If you can't control your own fatass eating habits or can't be bothered to get up off the couch then you deserve to get fat, get diabetes, and die early. The government shouldn't have to implement laws to control you because you have no willpower.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    1,910 Posts
    If you can't control your own fatass eating habits or can't be bothered to get up off the couch then you deserve to get fat, get diabetes, and die early. The government shouldn't have to implement laws to control you because you have no willpower.
    okay sorry mom!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,480 Posts
    What they they turn into zombies?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,295 Posts
    "Let them eat Frank!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

20. Post #20

August 2007
    318 Posts
    Doesn't sound horrible.

What we need to do it put big doors to the section with healthy foods, and when it comes to the candy and such, put small doors. Imo, Ricky Gervais nailed it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

21. Post #21
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    Am I the only one who is legitimately disgusted by fat people? They have no excuse. (Not talking about chubby people or people with thyroid or what have you)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member

November 2007
    4,615 Posts
    you guys are being insensitive, fat people are never responsible for their own obesity, it's always some genetic or mental factor, dont make me think you believe in something like free will, responsibility is non-existent, these guys need help!

this applies to everything else too that can be seen as negative
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    June 2012
    546 Posts
    Here's an idea:

Whoever has a BMI in the 'obese' range would have a limit on the calories they can purchase.

Oh, and, there are no 'natural liberties' to respect. Nothing is sacred or permanent. If doing something is more beneficial than not doing it, the action should be done. If torturing a terror suspect who set up a time bomb in the central park full of people could get the password (or a course of actions) to disarm the bomb, it should be done. The benefits of the means and ends should be computed. There should be no 'sacred' or 'natural' rights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,258 Posts
    Here's an idea:

Whoever has a BMI in the 'obese' range would have a limit on the calories they can purchase.
    Fuck you, no i eat what i want, i dont want to choose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    January 2012
    739 Posts
    You're a tool, and I agree with you.

26. Post #26
    June 2012
    546 Posts
    Fuck you, no i eat what i want, i dont want to choose.
    This puts a huge burden not only on the natural resources which are running out, but also on the hunger and poverty problems. Every additional hamburger you swallow down your fat throat is also a hamburger which hasn't been allocated to a starving person, or a person who lives below their dietary means.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10 (list)

27. Post #27
    January 2012
    739 Posts
    Hurr durr legislate for the lowest common denominator, government fat camps. durr durr

28. Post #28
    June 2012
    546 Posts
    Hurr durr legislate for the lowest common denominator, government fat camps. durr durr
    Nice straw man.

29. Post #29
    January 2012
    739 Posts
    All these enraged people are fat themselves, but not super fat, YET

I can see your rapidly degrading bodies through the internet because I'm a wizard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,769 Posts

The problem is that the little money required to get fat is a very powerful thing in other countries.

31. Post #31
    June 2012
    546 Posts
    The problem is that the little money required to get fat is a very powerful thing in other countries.
    Indeed. Fat people should get an enormous tax on every food product they consume above their caloric intake norm recommended by the doctor.
    This money should be allocated to health care, education, scientific research, and other beneficial things.

I don't share this dumb "You can do whatever you want" belief. Restricting harmful and burdensome things allowed for an advanced civilization to develop. Individualism is fucking retarded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32

August 2007
    318 Posts
    To be fair, it makes sense that people who make themselves sick, for example, fat people should pay more tax, because they are more of a strain on welfare than people who aren't fat.

33. Post #33
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    The problem with weight loss is that too many people fall for bullshit ideas like akins or low carb diets and buy incredibly expensive and pointless weight loss machinery.

God I want to punch idiots who peddles useless shit.

34. Post #34

August 2007
    318 Posts
    To be honest, to lose weight all you need to do it, eat less than what you burn. To gain weight, eat more, and to stay the same weight your energy intake should be = as the energy you burn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    April 2011
    2,653 Posts
    To be honest, to lose weight all you need to do it, eat less than what you burn. To gain weight, eat more, and to stay the same weight your energy intake should be = as the energy you burn.
    Thank you Dr. Science. I would never have known this were it not for your insightful comment.

The problem isn't that people don't understand how to lose weight, it's that they eat things that they shouldn't (fast food, greasy food, sugary food, etc.), and then don't exercise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Send fat people to north korea so that Kim Jong Un will not be so roney

37. Post #37

August 2007
    318 Posts
    Thank you Dr. Science. I would never have known this were it not for your insightful comment.

The problem isn't that people don't understand how to lose weight, it's that they eat things that they shouldn't (fast food, greasy food, sugary food, etc.), and then don't exercise.
    Well, peasant, I'm very glad I could teach you about life.

I'm just saying, it's simple logic, and it shouldn't be hard to follow.

I eat fast food quite a bit and I'm yet to become fat. I don't exercise a lot, I just don't eat more than I need.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,368 Posts
    Sounds like a human rights conflict waiting to happen.
    It will happen eventually when the food crisis gets bad. Might as well start it now.

39. Post #39
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,291 Posts
    its only a matter of time until this thread devolves into nazi eugenics and circlejerk hate for fat people
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,247 Posts
    Wait, so, fat people are a danger to the food supply,

but the Epic Meal Time guys aren't? They expend like, 70,000 calories per day in food.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)