1. Post #1
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    24,976 Posts
    For at least a year now, NASA has been waiting with bated breath for Voyager 1 to pass through the boundary of our solar system and become our first emissary to the stars. Itís been cruising the edge for some time, but when it finally leaves forever, it wonít be a satisfyingly clear punch-through ó so itís hard to say exactly when this will happen. Or happened. Now the spacecraft is in another strange new zone, where the influx of cosmic particles has been ramping up by the week.

These particles mean Voyager 1 is at the frontier, according to project scientist Ed Stone, who has been working with the spacecraft since it and its twin launched in 1977. Voyager 1ís high-energy telescopes are watching charged particles, created when distant stars went supernova. Some of these particles make their way into our solar system, riding along magnetic currents that bring them in toward the sun and us, but for the most part the sun deflects them. Now it is deflecting fewer and fewer at the spacecraft's location 11.1 billion miles from home. Voyager's radio signals take 16 hours and 38 minutes to reach Earth.

From January 2009 to January 2012, the spacecraft noticed a gradual 25 percent increase in these cosmic rays. Then starting on May 7, the cosmic ray hits started going up ó 5 percent in a week, and 9 percent in a month, NASA says. Thatís a sign that Voyager is almost away from the sunís sphere of influence.

Itís even possible that itís already gone. Scientists are still crunching two other sets of numbers that will help prove it: The magnetic field surrounding the spacecraft, which will switch directions when it exits, and the amount of solar particles blown out by the sun, which has dropped but hasnít stopped. Itíll be a historic moment when that finally happens ó or when the numbers show that it already has.
    Source: http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...r-systems-edge

Push on, Voyager
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 86Late Late x 5 (list)

2. Post #2
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    4,124 Posts
    Cool now find us some Reapers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 35Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    XD!
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,183 Posts

I think I can
    I think I can
    I think I can...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly x 78Winner x 5Funny x 4Agree x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,466 Posts
    Hearing any news about Voyager is amazing. That tin can is still working, 35 years later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 47 (list)

5. Post #5
    October 2008
    2,014 Posts
    Ever since I first heard of its mission my greatest fear has been that the Voyager would encounter a problem that destroys it.

After all that time and hope of greater understanding I think it would be a real blow to humanities morale if it were to suddenly go silent forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

6. Post #6
    February 2009
    24,976 Posts
    Ever since I first heard of its mission my greatest fear has been that the Voyager would encounter a problem that destroys it.

After all that time and hope of greater understanding I think it would be a real blow to humanities morale if it were to suddenly go silent forever.
    Even if the electronics on it fail, it still carries that plaque of humanity of where it's from on it. It will float, forever, in space even in silence carrying that proof that we are here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 49Winner Winner x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    A mime cries softly as he cradles a young cow
    May 2010
    1,297 Posts
    I love hearing about space in the news.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 29 (list)

8. Post #8
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,563 Posts
    This will be an achievement when we get out of the solar system
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9

November 2009
    15,466 Posts

Its doomed to happen. All these particles that are hitting it will eventually destroy it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree x 18Dumb x 3Funny x 2Agree x 1Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    February 2009
    24,976 Posts
    I love hearing about space in the news.
    Pretty much why I post a lot of Popular Science articles. Half the stuff I post from there I don't even really understand, but science and it's cool stuff has always been something everyone on FP enjoys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 36Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,380 Posts
    I still hope that someday when we have the technology we can send a ship out there to put Voyager in a museum, so that everyone can see the most reliable probe ever created.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 12Friendly Friendly x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12

November 2009
    15,466 Posts
    I still hope that someday when we have the technology we can send a ship out there to put Voyager in a museum, so that everyone can see the most reliable probe ever created.
    I want the mars rovers back home. Their famous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,017 Posts
    Let's build museums around all the landers/rovers that we've put on the moon/mars/elsewhere when we colonize it. Build a big glass box around it as best as you can without messing up the area.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    May 2012
    990 Posts
    What if we found out there was a huge barrier around the solar system we couldn't possibly get past.

Like what happened at the end of this episode. That would be a buzzkill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,818 Posts
    Voyager 1: Vehicle destroyed, collided with dark matter object.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 27Agree x 1Artistic x 1Friendly x 1Disagree x 1Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16

November 2009
    15,466 Posts
    I think the entire science community would shit a log.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 38Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,098 Posts
    technically speaking, dark matter is non-tangible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    9,632 Posts
    technically speaking, dark matter is non-tangible
    technically speaking, dark matter can do whatever the fuck it wants

it's fucking dark matter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 45Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,818 Posts
    I was actually referencing Shores of Hazeron, a space exploration game where if you have a craft that lacks either a player character or a special Officer character leave a solar system, it would be destroyed instantly by a collision with a "dark matter object"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 28Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,111 Posts
    Its doomed to happen. All these particles that are hitting it will eventually destroy it.
    Voyager is being hit with subatomic sized particles, it's not like the probe is being pummeled with rocks or something. The particles are just gonna bounce off the metal case. Worst case scenario it breaks something electronic but that hasn't happened yet in all the abuse it's withstood from the Sun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

21. Post #21
    October 2007
    1,242 Posts
    Even if the electronics on it fail, it still carries that plaque of humanity of where it's from on it. It will float, forever, in space even in silence carrying that proof that we are here.
    Until it crashes into a planet or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 16Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    February 2009
    24,976 Posts
    Until it crashes into a planet or something
    Praying it's a planet full of life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,623 Posts
    You're thinking of the Pioneer Plaque. Voyager holds, instead, the Voyager Golden Record.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    TIME ALLEN
    May 2008
    1,640 Posts
    voyager is awesome (cassini too)
    https://vimeo.com/40234826
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

25. Post #25
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    9,632 Posts
    You're thinking of the Pioneer Plaque. Voyager holds, instead, the Voyager Golden Record.
    since someone will ask

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 14Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,080 Posts
    And suddenly it will bump into an outer space horrorterror.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

27. Post #27
    February 2009
    24,976 Posts
    Still something, at least.

28. Post #28
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    Voyager is so freaking awesome!

And on top of that it makes me want to watch Star Trek Voyager every time I hear about our awesome bucket of bolts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    617 Posts
    I wonder how much longer before the little guy starves and goes offline due to lack of sunlight :(.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    voyager is awesome (cassini too)
    https://vimeo.com/40234826
    AWESOME

Edited:

I wonder how much longer before the little guy starves and goes offline due to lack of sunlight :(.
    There was a post earlier detailing the shut off sequences that will help it stay online for about 20 more years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    TIME ALLEN
    May 2008
    1,640 Posts
    he'll go offline due to lack of power (not sunlight- he isn't solar powered) in 2025-ish if he's kept on 100% of time for the next 13 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 2Zing Zing x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Now lets hope we don't suddenly discover that the area outside the heliosphere will annihilate everything we send out of it through some sort of mysterious anomaly in physics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 19Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,653 Posts
    I want to see them use that new one they're sending up there, the nuclear powered one, to go and clean off the panels of spirit and pull it out of that crap its stuck in somehow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Dennab
    March 2012
    867 Posts
    Can anyone who knows fuck about shit explain to me how the fuck we can still get goddamned information from this bitch? Also what the tits is still powering this motherfucker?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 28Funny Funny x 5 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,231 Posts
    Can anyone who knows fuck about shit explain to me how the fuck we can still get goddamned information from this bitch? Also what the tits is still powering this motherfucker?
    A shitload of radio telescopes are aimed at it, as it's signals are getting weaker the farther it goes, and it's powered by a nuclear reactor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    All it needs is a asteroid to smash it into dust....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,907 Posts
    Plucky little SOB. A testament to American engineering when American engineering actually meant something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Agree Agree x 9 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    A shitload of radio telescopes are aimed at it, as it's signals are getting weaker the farther it goes, and it's powered by a nuclear reactor.
    More precisely, it's powered by an RTG.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,623 Posts
    Not quite a nuclear reactor, but it is powered by heat generated by decaying plutonium.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    June 2010
    3,507 Posts
    They should have given Voyager a gun.

That would show those good for nothing particles who's boss.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 26Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)