1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,891 Posts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18513976

BBC News posted:
    UK PM David Cameron has refused to accept a letter from Argentina's President Kirchner about her country's claim to the Falklands Islands.

Mr Cameron spoke to her before the first session of the G20 summit got under way earlier, Downing Street said.

The prime minister told President Kirchner she should "respect the views" of islanders who are taking part in a referendum on the issue of control.

The islands are marking 30 years since the end of the war with Argentina.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 45Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Informative Informative x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Cameron:

(User was banned for this post ("Image macro" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 87Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,042 Posts
    Good going mrs Kirchner, it's not like you and the other world leaders have more important issues to deal with!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    the Argentinian government is (hopefully) smart enough to know if they attempted another war they'd get curbstomped. so they (hopefully) wont try any shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 18Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,594 Posts
    How about the people living on the actual Islands get to choose who they want to support?

Or is that too logical?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #7

January 2012
    241 Posts
    How about the people living on the actual Islands get to choose who they want to support?

Or is that too logical?
    Guess you didn't read this part:
    The prime minister told President Kirchner she should "respect the views" of islanders who are taking part in a referendum on the issue of control.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Zing Zing x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,594 Posts
    Guess you didn't read this part:
    I'm aware. I'm referring to Kirchner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree x 6Dumb x 3Optimistic x 1Zing x 1Friendly x 1Useful x 1Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,944 Posts
    The leader of Argentina must feel like an asshole for doing this. In almost positive age could not give a shit about these islands, but is talking about then to gain public approval & distract tw public from bigger issues.

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    September 2011
    3,417 Posts
    the Argentinian government is (hopefully) smart enough to know if they attempted another war they'd get curbstomped. so they (hopefully) wont try any shit.
    Isn't the current (rather unforunate) condition of the UK's navy going to make things a bit harder this?
    Or did they cancel the scrappings?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    September 2009
    12,244 Posts
    Silly Argentina, Hegemonies are what 'Murica does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Isn't the current (rather unforunate) condition of the UK's navy going to make things a bit harder this?
    France says we can use their aircraft carrier if we want

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 32Funny Funny x 7 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,187 Posts
    Silly Argentina, Hegemonies are what 'Murica does.
    .... :C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,891 Posts
    They wouldn't take the islands in the first place. In 1982 the islands were defended by a naval party of 82. They now have a military base housing a garrison of 1200 soldiers, AA missiles, 4 fighter jets, 3 ships including a state-of-the-art destroyer, and possibly a submarine though that's confidential

Not only that but Argentina has had some cutbacks too and they arguably don't have enough landing craft to mount an invasion

Read all about it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,587 Posts

Edited:

Thanks France.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

16. Post #16
    I dunno our country might get some use from understanding they can get curbstomped by a tiny teeny island country anyday.
    Of course they'll blame the shitty gov't/military/weather/butterflies in china for their loss though

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,989 Posts
    He should've accepted it and put it online so we could all read her daft logic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    It must be scary to live on the Falklands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,517 Posts

Edited:

does it comes with the culinary staff too?

20. Post #20
    does it comes with the culinary staff too?
    Pretty sure french aircraft carriers have emergency pro french chefs in big red boxes next to the fire extingushers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 16Winner Winner x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,951 Posts
    I don't even understand what is the reasoning behind the land being Argentina's?

Because the totalitarian junta wanted it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,517 Posts
    Pretty sure french aircraft carriers have emergency pro french chefs in big red boxes next to the fire extingushers
    "in case of emergency, talk to in english for another frontline soldier"

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,878 Posts
    GIB FALKLANDS OR REPORT HEUHEUHEUHEUEHEUHEUHEUHE

summery of the letter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    April 2011
    648 Posts

Edited:

only condition being that we return the keys before 11pm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,239 Posts
    I don't even understand what is the reasoning behind the land being Argentina's?

Because the totalitarian junta wanted it?
    Pretty much. Serves as a way to distract Argentinians from what their government gets up to.

26. Post #26
    January 2010
    636 Posts
    There are advantages to him thinking he's Maggie...

27. Post #27
    October 2007
    1,246 Posts
    The spanish wikipedia article details the reasoning behind both argentinian and british claims, something the english article lacks.

If you speak some spanish here ya go:
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuesti%...soberan.C3.ADa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    The spanish wikipedia article details the reasoning behind both argentinian and british claims, something the english article lacks.

If you speak some spanish here ya go:
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuesti%...soberan.C3.ADa
    It's funny how the Argentinian list is conveniently lengthy, while the British one is full of ones such as "not recognising a Catholic country".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    October 2007
    1,246 Posts
    It's funny how the Argentinian list is conveniently lengthy, while the British one is full of ones such as "not recognising a Catholic country".
    So? They are reasons, if Argentina has more reasons than the British deal with it. It doesn't mean they are better reasons anyway, so what's your point? And the last reason listed in the british claim is the one where the islanders should decide their identity, which is the one bein g used right now. It's funny how you think the article is biased, when both sides are shown, whereas in the english article there's only one point of view.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    So? They are reasons, if Argentina has more reasons than the British deal with it. It doesn't mean they are better reasons anyway, so what's your point? And the last reason listed in the british claim is the one where the islanders should decide their identity, which is the one bein g used right now. It's funny how you think the article is biased, when both sides are shown, whereas in the english article there's only one point of view.
    It's simply not credible, and probably wrote by a butthurt Argentinian history post-grad with a poor degree.

31. Post #31
    October 2007
    1,246 Posts
    It's simply not credible, and probably wrote by a butthurt Argentinian history post-grad with a poor degree.
    You could say the same about the english article. Also, someone wanted the reasoning behind Argentinian claims. So I go to the english article and couln't find anything. Then I went to the spanish article and there I found it, that's why I posted the spanish one. It's ok? Or should I snip my post?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    You could say the same about the english article.
    I just wouldn't be bringing a wikipedia article into this full stop.

At least find a credible historian.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,951 Posts
    I read a quote somewhere that was a really good zinger but I can't remember who said it, it went something like "the only thing on the Falklands that's Argentinian are the mines left by retreating soldiers"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    October 2007
    1,246 Posts
    I just wouldn't be bringing a wikipedia article into this full stop.

At least find a credible historian.
    Well I believe no one's got hold of one, so that would be pretty difficult, maybe I'm wrong though. Plus historians can be biased too, in most cases at least.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,685 Posts
    That's how you do it David.