1. Post #1
    August 2008
    1,143 Posts
    so in a couple of weeks, i'm going to be getting either the 13 inch macbook air or the 13 inch macbook pro, and i was wondering if you guys could help figure out which one is better for me

i plan on doing:

web browsing
    maybe a little gaming (nothing intensive like max payne 3, maybe at the most portal 2, at least on medium settings
    drawing, using photoshop etc

i was going to get the pro, but i was kinda turned off by the hard drive storage instead of flash storage. does that really make a huge difference when using the computer?

also if i could get an idea of what kinda games could be played on each, that'd be cool too.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    4,795 Posts
    With this timeframe? Pro, definitely. It has Ivy Bridge, and that makes a humongous difference. Especially with game playing, since Intel HD 4000.

3. Post #3
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    2,796 Posts
    From what I understand upgrading the new retina screen version is very hard. So if you plan on upgrading shortly after getting it, get the pro without the retina.
    The Retina version's RAM is soldered, and they dropped the disc drive.

4. Post #4
    March 2011
    2,591 Posts
    if you don't mind the pro's slightly heavier weight, get the pro.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    4,426 Posts
    From what I understand upgrading the new retina screen version is very hard. So if you plan on upgrading shortly after getting it, get the pro without the retina.
    I don't really mind about the disk drive, I've not used disks in ages

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    4,795 Posts
    There isn't a 13" Retina version. The 13" version is exactly the same as the old 13" MacBook Pro, just with a refresh of hardware, it still has a disk drive and icky slow fragile mechanical storage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,006 Posts
    There isn't a 13" Retina version. The 13" version is exactly the same as the old 13" MacBook Pro, just with a refresh of hardware, it still has a disk drive and icky slow fragile mechanical storage.
    I was baffled about it with the last series of macbooks and it still baffles me how no matter what regular macbook you get, the drive is always 5400 rpm.

8. Post #8
    March 2011
    2,591 Posts
    I was baffled about it with the last series of macbooks and it still baffles me how no matter what regular macbook you get, the drive is always 5400 rpm.
    its apple.

they do the not-so-expected (see, iphone 4's retina screen) yet they somehow will not do the expected (see, forever 5400rpm hard drives)

9. Post #9
    April 2010
    2,236 Posts
    You may be able to find an old-gen air at a heavy reduction around this time, they're still bloody quick if you just want a basic laptop.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,369 Posts
    I think it has something to do with sound as well.

Edited:

"Fragile" - for what they are, HDDs are incredibly tough. When they're not running, they'll take some considerable violence.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    4,795 Posts
    I think it has something to do with sound as well.

Edited:

"Fragile" - for what they are, HDDs are incredibly tough. When they're not running, they'll take some considerable violence.
    Oh I'm in no doubt of the sturdiness of hard drives, my MacBook Pro took a 7 foot drop once while it was running and it didn't even interrupt the adult film I was watching. But a week later it took a 2 foot drop and blew the drive to hell. My words were mostly in jest, my good friend.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts
    Get the Air. The SSD will make it seem twice as fast at the MBP, and Lion is hopeless without an SSD. Personally though I'd wait a year for the Retina screen'd Airs.

13. Post #13
    August 2008
    1,143 Posts
    i think im gonna go with the pro.

it has more storage than the baseline 13 inch air, even if it is an hdd, i prefer having lots of extra space

also the pro has a better resolution, which is nice, and it has a faster processor of course

(just talking about the baseline model here, my budget is $1,200)

Edited:

also i can upgrade the hdd to a ssd later if i want to, so yeah i've decided, mods close this thread if you happen upon it

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    With this timeframe? Pro, definitely. It has Ivy Bridge, and that makes a humongous difference. Especially with game playing, since Intel HD 4000.
    The Air has Ivy Bridge too.

If you get a student discount, the Pro would probably be better because you get $100 off the pro, but only $50 off the Air. Which makes the Pro $50 less ($1099 vs $1149)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    4,795 Posts
    The Air has Ivy Bridge too.

If you get a student discount, the Pro would probably be better because you get $100 off the pro, but only $50 off the Air. Which makes the Pro $50 less ($1099 vs $1149)
    Oh it does? My mistake, I thought the Air hadn't been refreshed yet.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Just found out the 13" pro has a 1280x800 screen, and the 13" air has 1440x900. Total deal breaker. I'm leaning toward the Air now lol.
    Even the 11" air has 1366x768

Edited:

Oh it does? My mistake, I thought the Air hadn't been refreshed yet.
    Yeah. Ars did a review on them this week.
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06...th-ivy-bridge/

17. Post #17
    March 2011
    2,591 Posts
    Just found out the 13" pro has a 1280x800 screen, and the 13" air has 1440x900. Total deal breaker. I'm leaning toward the Air now lol.
    Even the 11" air has 1366x768

[editline]22nd
    yea thats plain sucky.well you could upgrade the screen resolution though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    November 2008
    989 Posts
    Get the 15" retina man...

Save a little more for it, it's totally worth it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,006 Posts
    Get the 15" retina man...

Save a little more for it, it's totally worth it
    600 dollars is 'a little more'?

20. Post #20
    August 2009
    1,005 Posts
    You can't upgrade the resolution on any Mac aside from the 15 inch non-retina from 1440*900 to 1680*1050.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    4,795 Posts
    What are you talking about? Only the old-style 15" can upgrade the resolution. Anyways OP, the Air is the only logical choice at that resolution. 1280x 800 is nobody's idea of fun.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Get the Air, although I suggest you wait for an rMBA or at least a more affordable rMBP. You'll be pressing palm to forehead twice a day when retina IPS rolls out for the masses.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,160 Posts
    the thing about retina macs is that they are a HUGE strain on the gpu because of their massive resolution.

get the pro unless you're OK with this level of game performance:

Edited:

oh and the 5400 RPM drives used in apple laptops are absolute trash

the HDD in my 2010 MBP barely goes over 60MB/s read times

24. Post #24
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,814 Posts
    Thinking I'll get a Macbook Pro 13" for college, I'd love to get the air because of how light but I'd like to be able to play simple games (WoW, Gmod etc).

25. Post #25
    August 2008
    1,143 Posts
    im still going with the regular 13" pro, and upgrading the ram or hard drive later... i'm still gonna be playing shit like gmod and kerbal space program and that sorta thing

although i still have the thought lingering in the back of my mind, for $1,200 i could build a pc that could play any game on the market, do photoshop, all that with ease...

Edited:

so i decided it was pretty irrational to buy a $1,200 laptop that barely did what i wanted (gaming, that sort of thing), had a pretty sub par hard drive, and was barely upgradeable, AND had a bad resolution, just because it was from apple/had os x

so instead im buying the desktop of my dreams that can do whatever i want for at least 5 years, with components that work as a hackintosh in case i ever want to try it out.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    okay, I'm incredibly happy for you. these are my eyes brimming with infinite joy.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts
    Thinking I'll get a Macbook Pro 13" for college, I'd love to get the air because of how light but I'd like to be able to play simple games (WoW, Gmod etc).
    They have the same graphics card though (Intel HD 4000 thing). The Pro's CPU is a smidge faster, but I think the Air is a better overall package, for gaming or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    March 2011
    2,591 Posts
    They have the same graphics card though (Intel HD 4000 thing). The Pro's CPU is a smidge faster, but I think the Air is a better overall package, for gaming or not.
    im pretty bummed that apple decided not to/can't fit a dedicated graphics card in the mbp 13 inch.

If they made a 13 inch mbp with a decent dedicated graphics card replacing the CD drive and keep the price the same, im sold.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    im pretty bummed that apple decided not to/can't fit a dedicated graphics card in the mbp 13 inch.

If they made a 13 inch mbp with a decent dedicated graphics card replacing the CD drive and keep the price the same, im sold.
    Won't probably every happen, as the 13in MBP inches ever closer to the MBA. Hell, they'll probably even need to give the battery a boost when it gets a retina display, so there'll be no wasting space there.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Won't probably every happen, as the 13in MBP inches ever closer to the MBA. Hell, they'll probably even need to give the battery a boost when it gets a retina display, so there'll be no wasting space there.
    Yeah the 13" pro will probably get killed off and replaced by the Air in the next couple of years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    August 2009
    855 Posts
    Get the pro, and replace the hard drive with a SSD. Also get the lowest RAM option and buy 3rd party if it's not enough. (I forget what the lowest is, sorry)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts
    Yeah the 13" pro will probably get killed off and replaced by the Air in the next couple of years.
    I'm amazed they have lasted this long tbh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)