1. Post #1
    December 2011
    37 Posts
    I've been researching for hours and its been in my mind for ages, I cannot decide which one i should buy, So i've come to Facepunch hoping to find some answers. Throughout my research it seems that the 4GB isn't necessary for single monitor 1080p gaming, But i feel like with buying it i'm investing into the future alittle more but then i look at the FTW editon and besides the factory OC the card runs on the 680 PCB making it cooler which allows higher for overclocking potential and it looks sleaker also, So facepunch what do you reckon i'm at my wits end and just cannot make up my mind and i'm hoping some of you guys can help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,860 Posts
    unless you plan on buying 3 2560x1600 monitors in the near future there is absolutely no point in buying a 4gb card
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Europe Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2011
    2,591 Posts
    wtf 4gb, you do not need that unless you are doing the exact thing the poster above me says.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    5,601 Posts
    Just wait, starting next year there's going to be a huge surge in game VRAM use. a 4gb card is an excellent investment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    126 Posts
    Video card memory is not just used for the specific image being displayed. It is also used for storage of textures and other data as well as compiled shader programs. As games and engines keep getting more complicated, it you have the money, it might not be a bad idea to make the investment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    December 2011
    37 Posts
    Ended up going with the SC 4GB edition, I got it today can't wait to see what it can do once the rest of my build is bought and together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 4Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    April 2009
    445 Posts
    I should be pretty damn awesome, for a top range card I would have gone with the 4gb edition as in the future more games will require more vram storage I reckon and being a card that will last afew years and most cards have at-least 1gb and some 2gb I would say 4gb is best for a future proof card.

8. Post #8
    December 2011
    37 Posts
    I should be pretty damn awesome, for a top range card I would have gone with the 4gb edition as in the future more games will require more vram storage I reckon and being a card that will last afew years and most cards have at-least 1gb and some 2gb I would say 4gb is best for a future proof card.
    In the end thats what i was basically thinking and i'd rather buy for the future as much as possible.

9. Post #9
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,359 Posts
    I have the 2gb version and no game right now gets near 2gb. By the time I need 4gb, I will probably need a faster card, so I will just buy another 670.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,740 Posts
    Indeed, by the time you actually need 4 GB the card is too slow already. 4 GB is just for the cool boy's club or if you need excessive VRAM for diffrent applications (developping). But for gaming, no.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    Video card memory is not just used for the specific image being displayed. It is also used for storage of textures and other data as well as compiled shader programs. As games and engines keep getting more complicated, it you have the money, it might not be a bad idea to make the investment.
    Considering 2GB 680's handle triple 1080p with highest options in Skyrim and metro 2033, he'll be fine on 2GB for a while. Especially since a single card won't push enough content to need more than 2GB.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    126 Posts
    Considering 2GB 680's handle triple 1080p with highest options in Skyrim and metro 2033, he'll be fine on 2GB for a while. Especially since a single card won't push enough content to need more than 2GB.
    Yes, but he did say about the future. Do you remember the jump in video card requirements for Windows 7 and DirectX 10? I still say, if you can afford it, buy it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    1 Dollar
    June 2005
    1,903 Posts
    Direct x10 requirements are for the card to conform to the standard and handle the certain instructions.
    2gb is more than enough.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    126 Posts
    Yes you are right, but what I was saying if you remember what most cards were like when they brought out Direct X10. Most of the cards out there would not do Direct X10, almost every, if not every card is Direct X10 capable.

I am just saying you don't know what the future holds. I usually drop the cash once and run it till it dies or will not run anything anymore.

15. Post #15
    Yes, but he did say about the future. Do you remember the jump in video card requirements for Windows 7 and DirectX 10? I still say, if you can afford it, buy it.
    I could see that if he ended up buying 3-4 cards to run really high resolutions.

But even if new "requirements" came out, the performance of the card would be the thing to take a hit. Since it ends up needing more draw performance for it to use the memory.

16. Post #16
    PLUNGER BUTT
    November 2010
    2,755 Posts
    i hate threads like these. we give people suggestions and they go with their own opinion and don't even take yours into consideration.

Edited:

then it turns into a giant discussion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    December 2011
    37 Posts
    i hate threads like these. we give people suggestions and they go with their own opinion and don't even take yours into consideration.

Edited:

then it turns into a giant discussion.
    Well i actually had a problem with PC Case Gear and accidently ended up getting the 4GB SC without realizing, I only noticed i actually bought it after i ordered the FTW edition and there was no way to cancel the 4GB card since it had already been shipped so i just canceled the order for the FTW edition.