1. Post #3441
    IDIOT WHO IS NEVER FUNNY AND CANT UNDER STAND WHEN NOT WANTED
    September 2006
    6,342 Posts
    What is the Facepunch mumble, and how do I join it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

2. Post #3442
    What is the Facepunch mumble, and how do I join it?
    can we please get a "read the OP or get banned" edit on the thread title
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3443
    Dennab
    August 2011
    236 Posts
    What is wrong with this guy? (this a from a thread where he made a suggestion about sex and having babies)

Callaghan posted:
    [SUP]User Wrote: Firstly, babies would die straight away in such a hostile environment with no coherent society, which renders having them completely useless and stupid in the first place... we'd have to have a full-blown society-building feature for something like this to even begin to work
    Secondly, the timeframe of gameplay in this mod is too short for a mechanic like this to work
    Thirdly, you go on about 'realism' yet the only incentives to engage in this gameplay mechanic is stuff like health and loot boosts, which is forced and unrealistic
    Fourthly, a mechanic like this would add nothing to the existing gameplay and would be detrimental to immersion for reasons mentioned above[/SUP]
    [HR][/HR]
    Wrong on all points. Life goes on in places of the utmost horror, far worse than the actually rather mild conditions of DayZ Chernarus, such as war-torn 3rd world countries, near-extinctions of the human race that have happened in history etc.
    When infant mortality goes up, so does birth rate. I suggest you watch a lecture by Hans Rosling on 3rd world infant mortality and global population changes. He uses pretty visualisations that even you would understand.
    Secondly, all games use the basic function of time compression. All of them. Although DayZ uses a 24 hour day/night cycle, this is merely an aesthetic function, food and water consumption experiences heavy time compression. Likewise for other mechanics, such as infections, and the mechanic I have suggested. No one has the time to live through a whole zombie apocalypse in a virtual environment, at least they shouldn't, so your argument is a non-sequitur and poorly thought through.

Thirdly, if you had read my post, you would have understood that I made it particularly clear that I would prefer a non-materialistic reward system, as there is plenty of loot as it is. In fact, and if you had any real intelligence you would have worked this out yourself - 'intrigue' is a central player driving motivation in pretty much all arma mods, in particular this one, and is enough to provide end game content in that it is just another challenge, with the inherent reward in knowing you are a particularly skilled survivor if you are able to achieve it. My preferred reward for this system, would in fact be some kind of social status marker, as this affects player psychology and seems to work in most games. Something like a different civilian skin, a more mature/aged look, and perhaps a small material reward such as +1000 max blood.

Finally, your fourth point is a reiteration of what you had already said, without adding anything else. You need to learn how to construct a basic logical argument. This mechanic would add a great deal for existing gameplay, and that you cannot see that without having it spelled out for you word by word, even though it already has been discussed extensively in previous posts, further undermines your position and that of those who share it. That you are so anti-intellectual, and incapable of understanding potentiality without having every detail explained to you patiently, further discredits your position and any 'arguments' that might stem from it.

Again, as I made it very clear in my post, those things (i.e. the specifics of the mechanic, and the rewards) are open for discussion. What is fundamental and unchanging in my suggestion, is the very obvious need for socially driven end-game content that encourages teamwork and adds a greater sense of purpose to this fun, but highly incomplete modification. All you, and other apparently very young and narrow-minded people, are able to come up with, are barely comprehensible guffaws at the general idea without fully understanding it.

This is why you, and similar minded people, don't end up in game development. You lack imagination, foresight, and the ability to enter a discussion in a productive way.
    He's taking a dumb idea and describing in big words to try and justify it as a good game feature
    He also accuses everyone who doesn't like his suggestion of being trolls and children who are too dumb to understand anything, but he's also made some decent suggestions in other threads... I don't get it

Edited:

And no, I am not autistic, thanks for asking. If you knew anything about autism then you would know that the last thing they would be suggesting is a complex, social-based game mechanic
    Lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

4. Post #3444
    IDIOT WHO IS NEVER FUNNY AND CANT UNDER STAND WHEN NOT WANTED
    September 2006
    6,342 Posts
    can we please get a "read the OP or get banned" edit on the thread title
    -How do I talk to FPers on FP server????
    -Get in the mumble
    It just says get in the mumble but doesn't tell me what a mumble is? First time playing ARMA, I've had the retail discs sitting around for ages but haven't been able to install it till now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #3445
    A highly respected gentleman in Chernarus
    June 2010
    2,094 Posts
    Why is almost every server on version 1.60.93965? I'm on 1.60.87580 but steam doesn't update anything???
    Steam won't update it automatically, as latin_geek said, as DayZ is running on the Arma2 beta. (I know, it's fucking weird but oh well.)

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php/ Use this to update. Check every couple of days or whenever you're getting an error message. Generally speaking, this is what is causing any errors. Simply download the latest patch (shown at the top) and run the .exe file and the application will do the rest automatically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #3446
    June 2010
    653 Posts
    What is wrong with this guy? (this a from a thread where he made a suggestion about sex and having babies)

He's taking a dumb idea and describing in big words to try and justify it as a good game feature
    He also accuses everyone who doesn't like his suggestion of being trolls and children who are too dumb to understand anything, but he's also made some decent suggestions in other threads... I don't get it

Animated prostitution would be cool. However, you will have to scavenge for contraception...
    ...or risk getting an std.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #3447
    June 2010
    2,094 Posts

Edited:

Lol
    Some people are just idiots. And of those idiots, a great majority of them think that they're right about everything. He isn't autistic, he's probably a neckbeard.

Edited:

It just says get in the mumble but doesn't tell me what a mumble is? First time playing ARMA, I've had the retail discs sitting around for ages but haven't been able to install it till now.
    Mumble is a VOIP (essentially a server for vocal communication) similar to TeamSpeak or Ventrilo. Mumble is tailored specifically for gaming, so it has a built-in display in the top right corner while in-game which tells you who is in the respective channel you're in without being too intrusive. You can download it here and use the Mumble IP information in the OP to connect and chat with other FPers who are playing. To save you the trouble of going back, here's the information for the server:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #3448
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,704 Posts
    The crowning touch is the way he crams a ~fancy long word~ into every sentence to underline his "I AM THE GAME DEVELOPER EXECUTIVE EXPERT MAN PERSON ANALYST, THEREFORE YOU ARE WRONG"-mentality.

Hilarious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #3449
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    It kind of defeats the whole survival aspect when you can spawn 30ft in the air and die. And it's really cool when bugs work together and your body doesn't stick around, but that scrub with just a patrol pack? Yeah lets keep his body around for a couple hours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

10. Post #3450
    August 2008
    73 Posts
    Zombies: This isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Usually crouch-running is a relatively speedy/stealthy alternative to full-on sprinting. Usually the most crowded areas can be avoided without adding more than five minutes to your travel. If you have to go through a crowded area, just hug the walls, look around every now and then, and, oh I don't know - Don't sprint down an open street in a zombie-infested city?

Finding each other: Again, not too hard when you know what to do. First off, take note of the name of your spawnpoint. Second, look for landmarks. Mountains, lighthouses, cranes and docks, etc. Just knowing if you're on the south-western or the north-eastern stretch of the coast is enough to meet up - Just go in each others' general direction and try to meet near easy-to-spot landmarks.
    The zombies aren't an issue in the sense that they're hard to avoid. The issue is simply how long it takes to find your fellow players if you're going to avoid them. The little time I've actually spent playing and not trying to find my friends has been great.

I imagine it's not that big of an issue if you start with more experienced players. It currently just boils down to how well you know the coast and that's what bothers me as a newcomer. I'll obviously get over it and laugh at it within a week's time but up until that point I'm going to cry myself to sleep every night thinking about the intense mental suffering I've had to endure.

I suppose I'm just going to have to alter my way of playing it. We've been trying to rush to find eachother and then start to player properly. Unfortunately, that has always resulted in us sitting in some house somewhere surrounded by ridiculous numbers of unsatisfied, hungry zombies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events

11. Post #3451
    June 2010
    2,094 Posts
    The zombies aren't an issue in the sense that they're hard to avoid. The issue is simply how long it takes to find your fellow players if you're going to avoid them. The little time I've actually spent playing and not trying to find my friends has been great.

I imagine it's not that big of an issue if you start with more experienced players. It currently just boils down to how well you know the coast and that's what bothers me as a newcomer. I'll obviously get over it and laugh at it within a week's time but up until that point I'm going to cry myself to sleep every night thinking about the intense mental suffering I've had to endure.

I suppose I'm just going to have to alter my way of playing it. We've been trying to rush to find eachother and then start to player properly. Unfortunately, that has always resulted in us sitting in some house somewhere surrounded by ridiculous numbers of unsatisfied, hungry zombies.
    Keep respawning until you and your friend spawn nearer to each other?

12. Post #3452
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,704 Posts

I played a good bit of Day Z solo before teaming up with the IRL friend who introduced me to it, which made teaming up easier. Use an online map of Chernarus until you find each other, or find a map in-game.

Teaming up is tedious, but worth it.

Edited:

Another rule of thumb, is walk in the woods, deep enough into the forest that you are hard to spot, but close enough to the road to see and follow it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #3453
    June 2010
    2,094 Posts
    Also just report that Callaghan guy for being a superior douchebag.

my automerge

14. Post #3454
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,839 Posts
    So, question about the FAL ANPV... can the night vision be... disabled?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #3455
    Fuck, I picked up this awesome M249, and right when I logged in this morning, some guy with a Winchester shot me immediately as I spawned

fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

16. Post #3456
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,179 Posts
    Who was the guy talking on mic through direct in Cherno, scared the shit out of me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #3457
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    2,942 Posts
    found an mp5sd6 in a deer stand but trying to pick it up does nothing
    how fucked am i
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #3458
    Help, I'm in north berezino with my leg broken. I'm crawling towards the hospital, but if anyone wants to give me a hand and get some morphine near me I'd appreciate it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events

19. Post #3459
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,179 Posts
    Wow the amount of cheaters in this game is astounding. I caught a sniper who had godmode on, I blasted the back of his head with my m1911 7 times, and he didn't even get hit, it just showed dust flying off of his head.

20. Post #3460
    Obsessive Screenshot Disorder
    December 2005
    7,376 Posts
    I really want to play this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #3461
    Bitch please, i am FABULOUS
    July 2008
    1,374 Posts
    US133 is running on a different version.
    I updated my beta, is it running on a unreleased one or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #3462
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,227 Posts
    found an mp5sd6 in a deer stand but trying to pick it up does nothing
    how fucked am i
    You don't even wanna know how many times I've died simply because the game refused to pick up a crowbar or axe or something as I was being chased by two leg-fracture loving zombies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

23. Post #3463
    June 2010
    2,094 Posts
    I always love how hatchets are in abundance when you're not looking for them. Just passed by a building with five hatchets spawned in it.

24. Post #3464
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,179 Posts
    I'm done sniper hunting, I've found 3 so far and all of them just turned around and killed me with one shot, yet my 2 Makarov mags and 10 crowbar smashes does nothing. I think these guys are just hackers that have nothing better to do then snipe new players.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #3465
    May 2011
    885 Posts
    Dayz servers are an interesting social study

From my experiences Russian servers seem to be the most aggressive, with snipers firing at you from every hillside..

Anyway, found an AK-47 and 5 mags and I hear a sniper shot, sorry to say but I disconnected.....

HEY GUYS, GUYS HEAR ME OUT, LIKE WHAT IF.. GUYS? ok so what about this for a feature:

Cannibalism!

You've seen movies like "the road" and "book of eli"
    So it's a pretty well known fact that when food turns scarce eventually people will start nibbling their mate!
    This would add a new level of fear, bandits killing you to cook your rump!
    You walk up to that corpse, and you should have to cook it like an animal as just eating it straight from the body is too easy.

Give me some feedback on that

And if I see one of you schmucks suggesting this to rocket and claiming creds I'm screencapping this timestamp yo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #3466
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,179 Posts

From my experiences Russian servers seem to be the most aggressive, with snipers firing at you from every hillside..

Anyway, found an AK-47 and 5 mags and I hear a sniper shot, sorry to say but I disconnected.....
    I found a sniper once on top of the huge industrial building in Cherno, I walk up to her and smash her with my crowbar a few times, then she disappears into the floor and appears on the roof adjacent to me, shoots me with her Lee Enfield, then I hide behind a building and lo and behold, there she is again, she shoots me again and I'm dead.

27. Post #3467
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,768 Posts
    anybody else getting a bad version while trying to join 133?

28. Post #3468
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,704 Posts
    Today was a surprisingly good day.

Wandered through Chernogorsk without hearing a single gunshot, and raided a castle without accidentally hurling myself over the edge or down the stairs.

Got an ALICE pack, a CZ550 and AK-74, two magazines for each, M1911 with four mags, plenty of morphine, bloodbags, painkillers, and bandages.

Also, Mountain Dew. Never drinking it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

29. Post #3469
    June 2010
    2,094 Posts

HEY GUYS, GUYS HEAR ME OUT, LIKE WHAT IF.. GUYS? ok so what about this for a feature:

Cannibalism!

You've seen movies like "the road" and "book of eli"
    So it's a pretty well known fact that when food turns scarce eventually people will start nibbling their mate!
    This would add a new level of fear, bandits killing you to cook your rump!
    You walk up to that corpse, and you should have to cook it like an animal as just eating it straight from the body is too easy.

Give me some feedback on that

And if I see one of you schmucks suggesting this to rocket and claiming creds I'm screencapping this timestamp yo.
    Yeah cannibalism has been an interesting topic that's been thrown around before. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but it at least seems like it would be an interesting addition to see how people would react to it and use it.

30. Post #3470
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,857 Posts
    US133 is running on a different version.
    I updated my beta, is it running on a unreleased one or something?
    Doesn't matter anyway because the beta is backwards compatible with other versions
    It's just the DayZ version that matters if you have a newer one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

31. Post #3471
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    585 Posts
    And again: shot dead instantly when spawning. Oh well, I could start over but now the game seems so dull.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Belgium Show Events

32. Post #3472
    June 2010
    2,094 Posts
    And again: shot dead instantly when spawning. Oh well, I could start over but now the game seems so dull.
    Take a break. Don't play yourself out and ruin the game for yourself entirely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #3473
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,768 Posts
    still getting a wrong version error. my client says I have an older beta version than 133 but six wont update me.

Edited:

I can also get into other beta server ust fine that are running the same version. just seems to be 133.

34. Post #3474
    Dennab
    August 2011
    236 Posts
    Also just report that Callaghan guy for being a superior douchebag.

my automerge
    Is reporting someone for being a pretentious idiot and hypocrite a bannable offence?

Edited:

I think this post was the last straw:

After providing all of that very clear information, that is the best you can achieve? If you think that there is something forced about it, then please, for the sake of anyone with a brain here, explain how, in a clear and coherent way.

And no, I am not autistic, thanks for asking. If you knew anything about autism then you would know that the last thing they would be suggesting is a complex, social-based game mechanic. So once again, you are parading your ignorance with pride. I will assume you are adolescent or pre-pubescent, and I have a strong feeling i'm right.

Did you watch the suggested lecture? No, of course not.
    If you can't lay out your 'argument' in a clear way, without just sounding like an answering machine, then please go away and leave the discussion to the adults.

EDIT - in fact, after having seen several of your very immature and unintelligent posts, i'm just adding you to my ignore list, because I can't be bothered to read anymore of your mindless and childish nonsense. Just saw your profile too, you are 18 years old, you are too young to understand complex social dynamics and things that affect civilisations. Not all people your age have that problem, but it is obvious that you are below average intelligence for your age. For these reasons and others I have stated, I will not have this discussion with you. Finish school, see the wider world, then I will listen to your nonsense a little longer perhaps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

35. Post #3475
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,364 Posts
    Yeah cannibalism has been an interesting topic that's been thrown around before. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but it at least seems like it would be an interesting addition to see how people would react to it and use it.
    I think we've come to the conclusion that cannibalism will just add more of a reason for people to kill other players unless there are severe side effects which seriously affect how you play the game after going cannibal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #3476
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,087 Posts
    So that little hill near black lake/willow lake is a good place to look for tents and shit?

37. Post #3477
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    I think we've come to the conclusion that cannibalism will just add more of a reason for people to kill other players unless there are severe side effects which seriously affect how you play the game after going cannibal.
    People need any more reasons?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #3478
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,983 Posts
    Implying people won't shoot on sight regardless
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

39. Post #3479
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,364 Posts
    Implying people won't shoot on sight regardless
    True, but this will give them more of a reason, they already get all of the loot from the dead player as well as a barely noticeable heartbeat when other players look at them (at least I find it quiet compared to the rest of the game), with cannibalism they'll get a bit of extra food.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #3480
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,983 Posts
    True, but this will give them more of a reason, they already get all of the loot from the dead player as well as a barely noticeable heartbeat when other players look at them (at least I find it quiet compared to the rest of the game), with cannibalism they'll get a bit of extra food.
    it won't change much in terms of player hostility so what does it matter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)