1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    444 Posts
    I know this is pretty basic, if barely even actual DiY, but I figured you guys might have a good idea. Problem is, my room gets balls hot in the summer, thanks to my wall facing the sun from sunrise to 4pm. Here's the layout of the room:

So, the blue box is my portable air conditioner, attached to the window by a vent tube. The green box is a standard oscillating fan, and the red is a tower fan. I can only rotate the air conditioner about 45 degrees either way. Possible heat sources are the computer (at the desk) and a mini-fridge and a water cooler on the top left (in the shit area) I usually block the bottom of the hallway door with a towel or something to stop air from getting out.

What's the best setup for optimal cooling?

2. Post #2
    November 2010
    2,261 Posts
    Make sure the AC window vent has a good seal to prevent air from getting in for starters.
    Secondly reduce the length of the vent tube by as much as possible to increase the effectiveness of the AC. Also make sure to keep your doors closed or the AC won't work for shit.
    If it's not possible to get a good enough seal around the window outlet, you may wanna consider making a hole in the wall for a direct heat outlet. This let's you make a good seal and reduce the vent tube to just a few centimeters to minimize heat leaking back into your room. I recently did this and noticed a dramatic increase in AC performance, from barely lowering my room by 3 degrees C to dropping almost 10 degrees C in just a few hours. My room is very small though so your mileage may vary.

I highly recommend getting some roller blinds to keep light getting in and heating up your room, they're pretty cheap (ikea has nice ones) and they do help a bunch.

Lastly reduce your heat output, unplug and turn off appliances you're not using. This includes cell-phone chargers and the likes, they only draw a couple of watts idle but we're going all out here so every bit helps.
    Reduce the brightness of your computer monitor(s) and TV if you have one to reduce heat output.
    If you're tech-savvy enough, downclock and undervolt your pc's cpu and maybe graphics card to keep temperatures down and lower heat output.

Also remember things like the oscillating fan and tower fan do not cool your room, they move air around and in fact emit heat themselves. I recommend using only one fan on low speed pointed directly at you to cool you down.

Before you do any of this, record your temperatures under a normal day (both outside and inside) every few hours so you have something to compare to after the changes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    444 Posts
    I have the rest of the window covered with insulated foam with a hole for the exhaust vent, so that situation is about as well as I can make it. Thanks for the tip on shortening the tube, never thought of that.

When you say hole in the wall, just a straight up hole in the wall? It seems like I'd just be pumping hot air into the walls of the house. Unless you mean directly outside, which would make more sense, but I doubt the landlord would be cool with that (haha puns).

I also have pretty heavy duty curtains (floor to ceiling) that block out most of the sun for me.

I was wondering, is it possible to get a circular current of air going on in the room? Face the air conditioner a bit to the right, have one of the fans push it from bottom right corner to the desk/door, swings around to the other pile of shit, put another fan, goes back around to where the air conditioner is?

4. Post #4
    November 2010
    2,261 Posts
    I have the rest of the window covered with insulated foam with a hole for the exhaust vent, so that situation is about as well as I can make it. Thanks for the tip on shortening the tube, never thought of that.

When you say hole in the wall, just a straight up hole in the wall? It seems like I'd just be pumping hot air into the walls of the house. Unless you mean directly outside, which would make more sense, but I doubt the landlord would be cool with that (haha puns).

I also have pretty heavy duty curtains (floor to ceiling) that block out most of the sun for me.

I was wondering, is it possible to get a circular current of air going on in the room? Face the air conditioner a bit to the right, have one of the fans push it from bottom right corner to the desk/door, swings around to the other pile of shit, put another fan, goes back around to where the air conditioner is?
    I'm sure you could accomplish some sort of circulation but I highly doubt it would do much good.
    What you can do though is use your fans to bring cold air up form the floor, since cold air drops and hot air rises there's gonna be a temperature difference form floor to roof significant enough that if you get a good circulation from the floor you may be able to accomplish a drop of a couple of degrees right there.
    You may wanna consider replacing those dinky fans of yours with a great big ceiling fan, it should ensure proper air circulation all by itself.

Also yes I meant a hole to outside but if you live in an apartment that might be an issue.

5. Post #5
    April 2012
    644 Posts
    Testing something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    March 2008
    870 Posts
    Bit of a late reply but in-case you're still looking for a solution: Make sure you have a suitably sized air conditioning unit.

I have a hole straight out the wall for mine. It's a 12,000BTU unit in a 10.21m^2 and it can drop the temperature of the room dramatically in a minute or two.

Make sure the room is well insulated, so double glazing and black-out blinds.

I find that for my room, the positioning doesn't really matter. I have mine in the middle of the long wall of a rectangular room without any other fans. The room heats up quite quickly due to there being a number of computers and servers in here, but the air conditioning unit always cools it down really quickly.

7. Post #7
    ruins popcorn
    April 2010
    1,661 Posts
    dont use an nvidia
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    December 2011
    1,137 Posts
    dont use an nvidia
    How the fuck does that have anything to do with this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2007
    851 Posts
    How the fuck does that have anything to do with this?
    GF100 based cards from 2 years ago ran hot so everyone was going "lolololnvidiaburnsyourhousedown" except the joke is long dead and unfunny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)