1. Post #1
    March 2008
    304 Posts
    I'm curious has to how many other developers are using HTML5 and CSS3 these days?

I couple of years ago I still had to test using IE6 and up to keep stuff backwards compatible for a few clients. But now I'm more thinking screw it, if they want to be stuck with a old browser they can upgrade for FREE then I'm not wasting my time and I'm going to make something nice and clean while using the newest techniques my browser supports.

Today I get the feeling more people are adopting smarter browsers and most (if not all) smart phones and tablets fully support HTML5 and CSS3. I have only seen 1 person in the last year that was still stuck using IE6 and she was a complete freak worried that even if her phone number got online her bank account would be drained.

I'm just curious what others are doing for clients these days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Facepunch's Local Lycanthrope
    December 2008
    1,785 Posts
    You're not the only one; I completely agree with what you're saying. Whilst it's probably not the best attitude, it's probably not the best idea to stick with an out-of-date browser either.

3. Post #3
    July 2011
    49 Posts
    Well, you've probably heard of the IE 7 tax. I also agree with you and the guys who decided to make a tax on the old Internet Explorers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,860 Posts
    In the past I've just forced a pop up telling people that the website won't appear properly if they don't upgrade their browser, from then on it isn't really my problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Europe Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    949 Posts
    I don't believe it's okay to refuse access to people on older browsers but I am okay with using new features like css3 and html5 on my sites, when I do though I always make sure that it's only for aesthetic reasons and that everything still works in older browsers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6

February 2012
    135 Posts
    learn to upgrade, that's all i have to say

7. Post #7
    July 2011
    49 Posts
    I don't believe it's okay to refuse access to people on older browsers but I am okay with using new features like css3 and html5 on my sites, when I do though I always make sure that it's only for aesthetic reasons and that everything still works in older browsers.
    You do not necessarily have to refuse them. Like Zerotwelve said earlier, just inform them of their mistake and tell them how to make amends and that's that. If they want to see broken and ugly websites every now and then, that's their problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    January 2008
    333 Posts
    A lot of offices and schools are still using IE6 and IE7. My "computer science" teacher literally thought she was teaching us HTML5. It consisted of creating websites using tables and the browser installed was IE7.

It's incompetence of the people that are going to use the websites that drags down the development process.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,196 Posts
    Just don't explicitly block users from your website for using browser x, y & z. Unless your website is a rich web application with good reason to make heavy use of client-side javascript, there's no reason for it not to serve its basic purpose* (transmit structured information) regardless of the browser - chrome, ie7, ie6, lynx - it doesn't matter, and if this concept seems alien to you (my dear reader), you are a bad web-developer.

* (and even in these situations it's only slightly above trivial to provide static fallbacks)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    October 2006
    46 Posts
    I would hope that some day IE would just die away. Our customers uses IE8, IE9 and Firefox. I have to use several days to fix already working software because IE loves to break layout and other stuff. Sometimes someting may work correctly on IE9 but it breaks in IE8 lol. Oh and what makes this more fun that I'm not writing much of code instead we are using drag & drop style to build UI and I can't easily modify things because code is generated automatically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    You are an annual
    October 2011
    14,000 Posts
    a mense
    what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,446 Posts
    I would hope that some day IE would just die away. Our customers uses IE8, IE9 and Firefox. I have to use several days to fix already working software because IE loves to break layout and other stuff. Sometimes someting may work correctly on IE9 but it breaks in IE8 lol. Oh and what makes this more fun that I'm not writing much of code instead we are using drag & drop style to build UI and I can't easily modify things because code is generated automatically.
    In the fall, when w8 is released, IE10 will be released together with it. As far as I know, IE10 will keep up with the rest of the browsers with CSS3 and will support more HTML5 than most browsers. The rendering in IE will remain the same tough I believe. :)

Edited:
    ohh, and Windows update will "force" you to update your browser ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    447 Posts
    If you're running a business that targets corporate clients that have shitty IT policies, there isn't much of a choice. I don't support IE6 at work (only IE7+), so at least we're making some progress. Once you work with IE enough, you get to know all of the bugs and limitations, and it becomes intuitive to quickly decide which features will need to gracefully degrade. I don't really mind it.

As for apps which are fundamentally built on new browser tech, I think that's fine. If something valuable is built that couldn't possibly work in IE7, that's more ammunition to convince companies to update their policies.

14. Post #14
    December 2007
    653 Posts
    learn to upgrade, that's all i have to say
    I used to be the same type of developer, IE6 HA! Upgrade or fuck off,

Then I had to access something on my website from a public computer, everything is locked down, Can't even download firefox, only browser? IE6...

I really screwed myself over, until you have this perspective on your own you might not understand. Some people don't have a choice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,340 Posts
    In the past I've just forced a pop up telling people that the website won't appear properly if they don't upgrade their browser, from then on it isn't really my problem.
    That's a terrible attitude.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,508 Posts

17. Post #17
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,023 Posts
    Modernizr is only a feature detection library, not a polyfill.

18. Post #18
    June 2012
    549 Posts
    A lot of offices and schools are still using IE6 and IE7. My "computer science" teacher literally thought she was teaching us HTML5. It consisted of creating websites using tables and the browser installed was IE7.

It's incompetence of the people that are going to use the websites that drags down the development process.
    What the hell, computer science has almost nothing to do with web development.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,508 Posts
    Modernizr is only a feature detection library, not a polyfill.
    So therefor it can be used to make a functional experience for all browsers; sure when you're making your own website you can say "yeaah fuck old browsers". But when you work professionally for clients you need it to work in almost all browsers, which is where I use modernizer.

20. Post #20
    March 2011
    187 Posts
    It's 2012, if people can't handle upgrading to a new browser that is FREE then they shouldn't be on the internet in the first place. I've adopted HTML5 and CSS3 for my sites and just use a script to detect browser, and if it happens to be outdated, a popup with links directing to newer versions of browsers. Users have NO excuse to not be using an up to date web browser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,023 Posts
    It's 2012, if people can't handle upgrading to a new browser that is FREE then they shouldn't be on the internet in the first place. I've adopted HTML5 and CSS3 for my sites and just use a script to detect browser, and if it happens to be outdated, a popup with links directing to newer versions of browsers. Users have NO excuse to not be using an up to date web browser.
    There are lots of excuses. For starters your users may be in a corporate or education environment and lack the ability to install or update software. Just as relevant is most of the visually impaired use a web browser that lack most modern web features. IMO, if you can't be fucked using polyfills and adding cross browser support for old and current browsers then you shouldn't even be a web developer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,340 Posts
    Yes they do! Like Jelly said above me, there are plenty of excuses. To be that ignorant and count out 6.3% of the global internet when designing a website, you are not only being a simply terrible designer, but you're being an absolutely awful businessman..

Edited:

IMO, if you can't be fucked using polyfills and adding cross browser support for old and current browsers then you shouldn't even be a web developer.
    Could not agree more.

Edited:

Really the big issue is, and continues to be, Microsofts incapability (or refusal?) to add in modern features into its web browsers that Chrome, Firefox and Safari have. Until *all* modern browsers are uniform, then we should never ditch the old technology like some people in this thread are suggesting.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,350 Posts
    Yes they do! Like Jelly said above me, there are plenty of excuses. To be that ignorant and count out 6.3% of the global internet when designing a website, you are not only being a simply terrible designer, but you're being an absolutely awful businessman..

Edited:

Could not agree more.

Edited:

Really the big issue is, and continues to be, Microsofts incapability (or refusal?) to add in modern features into its web browsers that Chrome, Firefox and Safari have. Until *all* modern browsers are uniform, then we should never ditch the old technology like some people in this thread are suggesting.
    6.3% is kind of a skewed number. Most of the globe is below 5% usage per country. China skews the statistic up with it's 22.4% usage. I think it's safe to assume that, for a first world country website, you can safely drop IE6 support, as most first world countries are below 1% (save the UK, which is at 1.1%).