1. Post #41
    May 2012
    192 Posts
    I really 100% support this. Would be really funny imagining the peaceful tropics of Dolphino Plaza interrupted by Miniguns, yelling and screaming of being on fire :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #42
    September 2011
    152 Posts
    Basically, from what you have there in Max. Export that model as a .smd like you would a hat or other player mesh (no bones, obviously). Then just compile it as an mdl somewhere and import that into hammer. I believe it's prop_static, then just navigate where you'd want it to be.

Here's a half asshed qc I used to compile ganon's tower

Rename the ganons_tower.smd to whatever you named your model. You can modify the modelname field whatever you want, really. (Perhaps /custom/mario/sunshine/sunshine_airstrip.mdl)

Materials would be the same thing, honestly. Though to bother with this would mean you intend to import and USE the entire mesh as your stage, which I highly suggest AGAINST for sake of efficiency. Source usually loads maps in segments to make resource usage less. To import an entire model that size would mean it's being rendered all the time. I also don't know how well collision would work with a gigantic model.

But, there you go. It's what I did and I managed a gigantic mesh in hammer.
    might be cause im a bit tired, but the .qc isn't entirely working on my own fault though, all i have is this trimmed down airstrip.smd do I need to compile it as is then recompile with your .qc?

3. Post #43
    March 2012
    1,089 Posts
    100% WIN, can't wait for the final map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    June 2011
    1,138 Posts
    might be cause im a bit tired, but the .qc isn't entirely working on my own fault though, all i have is this trimmed down airstrip.smd do I need to compile it as is then recompile with your .qc?
    The .smd isn't a compiled file. The SMD is just a ready-to-be-compiled Valve formatted file to be made into an mdl.

$cd ".\"
    $modelname "custom/mario/airstrip.mdl"
    $model "body" "airstrip.smd"
    $cdmaterials "models/custom/mario"
    $hboxset "default"
    $surfaceprop "default"
    $illumposition 3.243 0.000 2.448
    $sequence airstrip "airstrip" fps 30.00
    $collisionmodel "airstrip.smd" {

$mass 5.0
    $inertia 1.00
    $damping 0.00
    $rotdamping 0.00
    }
    Also make sure that your smd is named "airstrip.smd" and placed in the same folder as your Qc.

Try that qc. Technically I think you need to user a proper idle.smd for the sequence to make it behave in-game (if at all), but don't quote me on that. I know that even THIS will at least show up in hammer.

5. Post #45
    September 2011
    152 Posts
    The .smd isn't a compiled file. The SMD is just a ready-to-be-compiled Valve formatted file to be made into an mdl.

Also make sure that your smd is named "airstrip.smd" and placed in the same folder as your Qc.

Try that qc. Technically I think you need to user a proper idle.smd for the sequence to make it behave in-game (if at all), but don't quote me on that. I know that even THIS will at least show up in hammer.
    Ugh It's just Im leaking 1 element on custom/mario/airstrip.mdl I have set up proper paths, I don't know why it isnt picking it up, everything is renamed properly

6. Post #46
    June 2011
    1,138 Posts
    Ugh It's just Im leaking 1 element on custom/mario/airstrip.mdl I have set up proper paths, I don't know why it isnt picking it up, everything is renamed properly
    Your folders are setup in the fashion of <YourSteamID>/team fortress 2/tf/models/custom/mario/, yes?

7. Post #47
    September 2011
    152 Posts
    Your folders are setup in the fashion of <YourSteamID>/team fortress 2/tf/models/custom/mario/, yes?
    exactly

Edited:

Here's a bit of the output to where it ends

Building binary model files...
    Working on "Map Comp.qc"
    SMD MODEL .\/airstrip.smd
    ERROR: .\/airstrip.smd: error on g_szLine 1716: ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'custom/mario/airstrip.mdl'
    WARNING: Leaking 1 elements

8. Post #48
    June 2011
    1,138 Posts
    Looks like it's having a bit of trouble loading the SMD, or a part of it. Perhaps something wasn't exported right or the Source engine can't handle such a complex model? When I tried this on Ganon's Tower, I attempted the N64 exterior which would've been a lot less than Delfino Plaza.

9. Post #49
    September 2011
    152 Posts
    Looks like it's having a bit of trouble loading the SMD, or a part of it. Perhaps something wasn't exported right or the Source engine can't handle such a complex model? When I tried this on Ganon's Tower, I attempted the N64 exterior which would've been a lot less than Delfino Plaza.
    I had a feeling the plaza would be too big so I did the airstrip rather removing a ton of unnecessary objects, here's a pic with a ton of things removed , I'm beginning to think this project may be out of my reach lol

10. Post #50
    June 2011
    1,138 Posts
    It may be, unfortunately. Worst case, send me the plaza and airstrip and all that and I'll try to compile both and see what I get.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    October 2009
    1,858 Posts
    I really wish you luck with this, I would play the fuck out of a Mario Sunshine map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #52
    September 2011
    152 Posts
    It may be, unfortunately. Worst case, send me the plaza and airstrip and all that and I'll try to compile both and see what I get.
    Here's an SMD file I have no idea how big/small this is since Scaling to tf2 sizes is a bit difficult, if you need to resize just open in 3dsmax and rescale https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7and0bj0qm9vti/Delphino.SMD

13. Post #53

March 2012
    1,136 Posts
    Good luck on your map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    June 2011
    1,138 Posts
    Do you have this in an OBJ or similar format? Your SMD won't import into Max.

15. Post #55
    December 2009
    3,051 Posts
    Basically, from what you have there in Max. Export that model as a .smd like you would a hat or other player mesh (no bones, obviously). Then just compile it as an mdl somewhere and import that into hammer. I believe it's prop_static, then just navigate where you'd want it to be.

Here's a half asshed qc I used to compile ganon's tower

Rename the ganons_tower.smd to whatever you named your model. You can modify the modelname field whatever you want, really. (Perhaps /custom/mario/sunshine/sunshine_airstrip.mdl)

Materials would be the same thing, honestly. Though to bother with this would mean you intend to import and USE the entire mesh as your stage, which I highly suggest AGAINST for sake of efficiency. Source usually loads maps in segments to make resource usage less. To import an entire model that size would mean it's being rendered all the time. I also don't know how well collision would work with a gigantic model.

But, there you go. It's what I did and I managed a gigantic mesh in hammer.
    That sounds pretty cool! Do you got any pictures?

16. Post #56
    June 2011
    1,138 Posts
    That sounds pretty cool! Do you got any pictures?
    I imgur'd some a long time ago and posted it on the Emporium (current emp or the one before). I don't know which.

17. Post #57
    September 2011
    152 Posts
    Do you have this in an OBJ or similar format? Your SMD won't import into Max.
    Got it gimme a sec

Edited:

I imgur'd some a long time ago and posted it on the Emporium (current emp or the one before). I don't know which.
    http://filesmelt.com/dl/Sunshine_maps.zip heres all the maps in obj format with textures all untouched, let me know what you can do with this

18. Post #58
    June 2011
    1,138 Posts

And there you have it. Delfino airstrip imported as an untextured mesh model. This is a photo straight from HLMV. I'm certain textures are possible, but I'm afraid it would require an excessive amount of manual editing, especially for bigger maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #59
    September 2011
    152 Posts
    And there you have it. Delfino airstrip imported as an untextured mesh model. This is a photo straight from HLMV. I'm certain textures are possible, but I'm afraid it would require an excessive amount of manual editing, especially for bigger maps.
    There's a face or two missing from that mustve been my mistake, did any changes have to happen?

20. Post #60

March 2012
    273 Posts
    Do you know what method you're going to use to remake this?
    It would be nice if the trees, props, buildings, and other stuff were separate models instead of one big obj obviously. I'm not a modeler but I'm guessing separating all these things be hard to do?
    Maybe it would be better to just remake everything in hammer since the largest level? delfino plaza is not that complex.

Edited:

I just thought that if there was a proper model and texture pack this would be nice to make for a mapper.
    And then people could create custom mario levels also.

21. Post #61
    June 2011
    1,138 Posts
    There's a face or two missing from that mustve been my mistake, did any changes have to happen?
    I upscaled the plaza by 64x. Most Nintendo models are considerably smaller than most, and while I don't know if 64x is an accurate upscaling for Source, it certainly is viewable in Hammer.

Aside from that, I simply exported the SMD and compiled it with the barebones qc I provided.

Beyond that, I was able to import the MDLs into hammer, but when I compiled the map, the meshes did not show up within the map. They're only visible in hammer.

I did notice a few faces missing on my attempts to view the models. Some appear inverted. I'm not sure why this is.

Edited:

Do you know what method you're going to use to remake this?
    It would be nice if the trees, props, buildings, and other stuff were separate models instead of one big obj obviously. I'm not a modeler but I'm guessing separating all these things be hard to do?
    Maybe it would be better to just remake everything in hammer since the largest level? delfino plaza is not that complex.

Edited:

I just thought that if there was a proper model and texture pack this would be nice to make for a mapper.
    And then people could create custom mario levels also.
    For an extremely well optimized map, it is ideal to make the map primarily brushes and using props only when necessary--with items like trees and the like being prop_statics. Considering we have a complete map layout, props included, it would not be difficult to copy the vertices that map up certain props, paste them to their own mesh, and save that mesh as a prop. The process isn't hard, but it is going to be time consuming for certain.

22. Post #62
    December 2009
    3,051 Posts
    Wouldnt exporting the entire geometry as a model except the foliage and buildings then compile them each invidually as its own prop and setting them on the model work?

23. Post #63
    June 2011
    1,138 Posts
    Technically, yes. However, the base of the map would need to be brushes for efficiency's sake.

@Arietta--likely the best method to go about this for accurate recreations would be to import the mesh as a single model, then "trace" over it in hammer--given the circumstances of what we can and cannot do.

Lastly, here is a link to a compile ready airstrip. QC and SMD both.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?pbpcodqpzj046tx

24. Post #64
    September 2008
    100 Posts
    I tried remaking delfino airstrip a long time ago but didn't get too far.
    Anyway this thread made me want to have another go at it and here's what I've got so far:

So far it is almost completely identical to the original with the exception of some details i didn't add yet and some buggy lighting.

Basically what I did was:
    - extracted the map with BMD view.
    - imported it into blender where I cleaned up most of the useless stuff and split it up into pieces which I compiled as individual models.
    - used the models as reference to do the brush/displacement work and I also fixed up some models to use in the map.

Getting the scale right was a pain in the ass but I'm pretty sure its close enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Winner Winner x 2 (list)

25. Post #65
    June 2011
    1,138 Posts
    Anyway this thread made me want to have another go at it and here's what I've got so far:

So far it is almost completely identical to the original with the exception of some details i didn't add yet and some buggy lighting.

- imported it into blender where I cleaned up most of the useless stuff and split it up into pieces which I compiled as individual models.
    - used the models as reference to do the brush/displacement work and I also fixed up some models to use in the map.

Getting the scale right was a pain in the ass but I'm pretty sure its close enough.
    That is very nicely done. Your method is likely the very best one to go about dealing with. The scale modeling is by far the hardest to figure out though. I personally don't know it myself.

26. Post #66
    September 2011
    152 Posts
    That is very nicely done. Your method is likely the very best one to go about dealing with. The scale modeling is by far the hardest to figure out though. I personally don't know it myself.
    You are a hero my friend, seriously

Edited:

You are a hero my friend, seriously
    Well flyguy is, but you are awesomem as well too gamemaster, is there an actual playable version?

27. Post #67
    June 2011
    1,138 Posts
    Haha, well flyguy deserves all the glory. I only explored this not long ago myself. I didn't get very far into it, but if I can get somebody else pushed along just far enough so they can start something, then why the hell not?

28. Post #68
    April 2007
    989 Posts
    i can't wait for the sandbird
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    September 2011
    152 Posts
    Haha, well flyguy deserves all the glory. I only explored this not long ago myself. I didn't get very far into it, but if I can get somebody else pushed along just far enough so they can start something, then why the hell not?
    I Know, Im getting antsy about this lol, I wonder how much more Difficult Delphino Plaza would be in comparison, Im hoping to at least have 3 maps, but by the looks of things these guys are gonna get a shit ton of credit possibly a call out for youtube, he definately deserves it

30. Post #70
    June 2011
    1,138 Posts
    I think Delphino shouldn't be too terribly difficult. A lot of it is flat or buildings, not too much angular stuff. It ought to be easy to re-structure into hammer. Though I will admit, Delphino is definitely big. You will need to section some of it off if you want to do anything aside from a TC esque setup.

31. Post #71
    December 2009
    3,051 Posts

Wow! Impressive! Would be a pretty cool GMOD map in it's current state

32. Post #72
    September 2011
    152 Posts
    Wow! Impressive! Would be a pretty cool GMOD map in it's current state
    Flyguy stay in touch over steam I'd really like to chat about map making and your methods sometime

33. Post #73
    September 2008
    100 Posts
    I think Delphino shouldn't be too terribly difficult. A lot of it is flat or buildings, not too much angular stuff. It ought to be easy to re-structure into hammer. Though I will admit, Delphino is definitely big. You will need to section some of it off if you want to do anything aside from a TC esque setup.
    The hard part about Delphino Plaza is all the small details like open windows, manhole covers, fountains, etc. Which need to be removed so you can compile it into a model that won't crash hammer.
    But yeah it wouldn't be too difficult just very time consuming which can be very demotivating for most people.

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,573 Posts
    When I see tf_delphinoplaza in the maplist, I expect it to be Delphino in its entirety instead of having some stupid borders. I think you're going to get a lot of backfire if you close some of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

35. Post #75
    September 2011
    152 Posts
    The hard part about Delphino Plaza is all the small details like open windows, manhole covers, fountains, etc. Which need to be removed so you can compile it into a model that won't crash hammer.
    But yeah it wouldn't be too difficult just very time consuming which can be very demotivating for most people.
    Well a map like that has plenty of bells and whistles which just arent necessary, still any update on the current airstrip?

36. Post #76
    June 2011
    1,138 Posts
    I've done all that I can. From here it would be mesh tracing, unless somebody has another method.

37. Post #77

September 2011
    38 Posts
    Holy shit I loved that game. I would love to see this.
    I hated it... Too hard :< But it became a precious gem in my childhood... :D

I wanna see this too!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

38. Post #78
    September 2008
    100 Posts
    Managed to fix the lighting on the mountain and get Peach's plane into the map.

Now I just need to figure out why blender is removing the inside windows and replacing the turbine texture with the window reflection texture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    September 2011
    152 Posts
    Managed to fix the lighting on the mountain and get Peach's plane into the map.

Now I just need to figure out why blender is removing the inside windows and replacing the turbine texture with the window reflection texture.
    Aside from that anything else in particular?

40. Post #80
    September 2011
    152 Posts
    Will this map be up in any working form soon?