1. Post #41
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    I agree with the idea that the game was not well planned out. It was made ad-hoc, throwing features onto the pile, caring only to test a few things before cobbling more stuff together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    June 2012
    709 Posts
    Imagine you were someone who just picked up the game with no idea on how to play it. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't guess most the crafting recipes. The game almost forces you to look up wiki pages or have good knowledge of the game before doing anything. Games should be able to be picked up and played quickly without having to do research about it. At least that is how I see it.
    Hm, yes I do see what you mean. All you need to know though, is that simple things, such as shovels and pick-axes are crafted in their general shape. Where as things like enchantment tables, pistons etc. are hard to pick-up the recipe for and you do need some guidance for them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #43
    Self-Boosting Retard
    February 2010
    1,241 Posts
    For the recipe book idea, what I'd do is make an encyclopaedia which shows any item you've discovered thus far (drop an item in a little 'search' slot to select that item without having to go through a list of items) and when an item is selected, shows the recipe to create that item as well as all recipes using that item that you have found every component of.
    So if you found coal, you could check the encyclopaedia and since you've logically already discovered sticks it would show you how to make Torches.

As for difficulty selectable in-game, it makes perfect sense to remove it from the options menu in Survival mode. Yes, it's a case of self control in how it can ruin the gameplay, but it also means that if you have one world you want to play on Hard and one on Peaceful for Creative, you have to keep swapping in the options menu. The difficulty is one of the things that defines how the game will play out (or would be if it was anything other than a damage scale) and should be with other options that define this - world generation and gamemode. I'm all for the world being mutable but the actual core mechanics of things other than the player within the game should not be.

Combine those two changes and only make the encyclopaedia available on Peaceful/Easy, for a limited set of items on Normal (tools, basic crafting apparatuses like benches/furnaces and decorative or basic blocks) and unavailable on Hard entirely.

And then there's the Nether and The End - The End is only vaguely hinted at existing and the Nether is not mentioned at all in-game, and the Nether is pretty much literally half of the entire game. Under what circumstances is a player who does not know of the Nether going to make a 4x5 square of Obsidian and set fire to it? You're implying an expectation for the player to naturally act like an insane cultist.

Some form of guidance, like broken or non-functioning (and very rarely, functioning) nether portals occurring naturally down near lava with cultists spawning near them who drop flint and steel/obsidian, would make a player tangentially aware of some connection between this obsidian formation and flint and steel (and possibly also of it being dangerous) allowing them to perhaps discover the connection.

After a player makes a functioning nether portal and explores the nether for a while, start Endermen spawning in the world. When a player acquires an Ender Pearl, next time they sleep show a short first person cutscene or something of an end portal, making them aware that end portals exist. It's soft guidance (if anything I'd say the cutscene is a little heavy-handed) through the world, by cues from the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 3 (list)

4. Post #44
    June 2012
    709 Posts
    Under what circumstances is a player who does not know of the Nether going to make a 4x5 square of Obsidian and set fire to it?
    It would be good to see some sort of old, abandoned temple that somehow depicts how to make a portal on a wall of some sort.
    When a player acquires an Ender Pearl, next time they sleep show a short first person cutscene or something of an end portal, making them aware that end portals exist. It's soft guidance (if anything I'd say the cutscene is a little heavy-handed) through the world, by cues from the world.
    A dream, you mean?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    July 2009
    5,409 Posts
    I actually would like to see most of the stuff he brings up. I really feel like minecraft isn't the game it could and should be right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    October 2009
    6,230 Posts
    For the recipe book idea, what I'd do is make an encyclopaedia which shows any item you've discovered thus far (drop an item in a little 'search' slot to select that item without having to go through a list of items) and when an item is selected, shows the recipe to create that item as well as all recipes using that item that you have found every component of.
    So if you found coal, you could check the encyclopaedia and since you've logically already discovered sticks it would show you how to make Torches.

As for difficulty selectable in-game, it makes perfect sense to remove it from the options menu in Survival mode. Yes, it's a case of self control in how it can ruin the gameplay, but it also means that if you have one world you want to play on Hard and one on Peaceful for Creative, you have to keep swapping in the options menu. The difficulty is one of the things that defines how the game will play out (or would be if it was anything other than a damage scale) and should be with other options that define this - world generation and gamemode. I'm all for the world being mutable but the actual core mechanics of things other than the player within the game should not be.

Combine those two changes and only make the encyclopaedia available on Peaceful/Easy, for a limited set of items on Normal (tools, basic crafting apparatuses like benches/furnaces and decorative or basic blocks) and unavailable on Hard entirely.

And then there's the Nether and The End - The End is only vaguely hinted at existing and the Nether is not mentioned at all in-game, and the Nether is pretty much literally half of the entire game. Under what circumstances is a player who does not know of the Nether going to make a 4x5 square of Obsidian and set fire to it? You're implying an expectation for the player to naturally act like an insane cultist.

Some form of guidance, like broken or non-functioning (and very rarely, functioning) nether portals occurring naturally down near lava with cultists spawning near them who drop flint and steel/obsidian, would make a player tangentially aware of some connection between this obsidian formation and flint and steel (and possibly also of it being dangerous) allowing them to perhaps discover the connection.

After a player makes a functioning nether portal and explores the nether for a while, start Endermen spawning in the world. When a player acquires an Ender Pearl, next time they sleep show a short first person cutscene or something of an end portal, making them aware that end portals exist. It's soft guidance (if anything I'd say the cutscene is a little heavy-handed) through the world, by cues from the world.
    All of this would have been good, in terms of the Nether and End implementation (the encyclopedia and lack of survival difficulty change should be added anyway) except for the fact that everyone and their mothers play Minecraft now. You'll be hardpressed to find people who are willing to but haven't already, and that number is not the vast majority. Most of the people who play it now are the ones that will continue playing it, and with the sheer number of players, I doubt there would be many new ones anytime soon. Thus, trying to implement the Nether and End information is useless because everyone will already know how to get there and know how to make Nether portals. Anyone willing to get MC will have already seen videos, and have already seen the Nether in some way. The game needs to be difficult on a fundamental level, not on a gimmicky level like "cutscenes". It needs a challenge based in harder mobs, more difficult survival, more complex gameplay mechanics, not in trying to make the End and Nether "mysterious" to the people who already play the game and know what they are.

Making bread should require you to grind the wheat into flour, ferment some flour in a cauldron to get yeast, gather both and mix the flour and yeast into dough and then cook the dough in the furnace. That's how complex everything in Minecraft needs to be if there is going to be a challenge involved in Minecraft. At this point, everyone is suggesting the only way to make the game harder is to hide recipes and remove the Wiki, when that only makes it harder to new players and not the huge and already existent playerbase.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,688 Posts
    I agree with the idea that the game was not well planned out. It was made ad-hoc, throwing features onto the pile, caring only to test a few things before cobbling more stuff together.
    It was like this after a point. Aside from Notch's sloppy coding, before mid-beta everything (except the Nether) fit together pretty nicely. Afterwards it was very much like you said. Notch didn't seem to want to work on Minecraft anymore by this point and probably didn't really care what the final product looked like, and Jeb genuinely doesn't seem to know what he wants the game to be so he just adds whatever he can code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,569 Posts
    I really wanted to give this list a chance, I really did - but the very first point raised is incorrect.

Minecraft used to be heavily reliant on a wiki, and of course if you use mods then it still is, but the achievements were added to Minecraft specifically to tackle this very issue. Where applicable, they even state what resources will be required to a degree.

They don't spell out everything, but that's because Minecraft as it is now is intended to be discovered with new players - they're expected to experiment, find what works and doesn't for themselves, with achievements being helpful guides to keep them on the right path. And after all, if they then want the answers anyway/eventually, well that wiki hasn't gone anywhere.

Skimming through, it looks like I'd have similar fundamental issues with practically every point, which is a shame. Hopefully some truly good ideas can come of this thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

9. Post #49
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,325 Posts
    I really don't get half of the things he's saying here, for example:

No, it doesn't. It's really not that hard to figure out how to craft most things, I mean, a torch, a stick with a piece of coal on top.

That would just ruin it in my opinion, it doesn't need any sort of tutorial, you can pretty much figure everything out for yourself.

Quite frankly, I agree that the difficulty may need some improvements.

Well, what else do you expect? All the other things he listed are basically the same as the other tools just aesthetically different.

Of course, with the utmost carefulness, the whole grabbing ideacould be a good feature (I believe there's already a mod that features this)

The only thing I don't like is the whole enchantment and potions thing, but it's an interesting feature.

Steve looks fine, get a different skin if you really don't like him.

Trees could be taller, and in the picture he showed:

They do actually look a lot better, although, it''s very awkward chopping them down at that height.

No, that'd be stupid.

Of course though, that's all just my opinion.
    Add some sort of physics to trees.

eg. Cut out part of a tree, the rest of it falls over; it could tumble down hills and fall off cliffs, eventually it reaches horizontal(ish) terrain and snaps back to being regular blocks. It would make all kinds of trees way less painful to cut down.

Edited:

This guy is complaining too much. It doesn't really matter how many good points he has, or how many people agree/disagree with him; if he really wants to see changes, he should actually be doing it in the form of media (and sending that media to Mojang). Pistons didn't get into the game because they were a big wall of text on a forum, they got into the game because they were thrown around in a lot of media. They were a small, but significant change.

Right now, he's suggesting Mojang just redo everything they've ever done.

That's a tall order if I ever saw one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,595 Posts
    Add some sort of physics to trees.

eg. Cut out part of a tree, the rest of it falls over; it could tumble down hills and fall off cliffs, eventually it reaches horizontal(ish) terrain and snaps back to being regular blocks. It would make all kinds of trees way less painful to cut down.
    That sounds like it would be way too sloppy IMO. I was imagining more of a gravel/sand type effect where the base of the tree falls downwards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #51
    September 2010
    6,626 Posts
    That sounds like it would be way too sloppy IMO. I was imagining more of a gravel/sand type effect where the base of the tree falls downwards.
    Yeah, just make logs an unsupported block.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,932 Posts
    Yeah, just make logs an unsupported block.
    Naturally generated logs only, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

13. Post #53
    May 2011
    2,977 Posts
    he's kinda right, dig a hole in the ground and youre safe from mobs forever. and having to rely on the wiki because the game doesn't explain anything is retarded.
    I've been waiting for-goddamn-ever for a mob that had basic building skills, so it could at least break into houses and camps and what not. I was excited for Endermen, but it turned out they weren't so hard to avoid. Zombies breaking down doors is great, but it's still easy to avoid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)