1. Post #1
    July 2011
    404 Posts
    How do people manage to get a GOOD looking model with low poly, or idk, how do they manage to compile it with such a small amount of pollys yet an awesome quality?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    651 Posts
    Normal Maps?

these control the direction light travels, and if you think about it... how to you see an object? through light.

In 3D the surface can be very simple, yet you can apply texture mapping to bounce back complex light, thus you see something complex which isn't there.

So yes, reflections in combination with a well made normal map can make your model look amazing, and with a very low polygon count.

All current gen games use this, high polygon models are only used in cinematography these days.
    Or when people get into 3D rendering stills..

Anyway for gaming applications there is no reason for a high polygon model.
    20K is more then generous, but I've seen some 360 games push a character at 60k
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Source Engine Optometrist!
    June 2010
    1,848 Posts
    Normal Maps?

these control the direction light travels, and if you think about it... how to you see an object? through light.

In 3D the surface can be very simple, yet you can apply texture mapping to bounce back complex light, thus you see something complex which isn't there.

So yes, reflections in combination with a well made normal map can make your model look amazing, and with a very low polygon count.

All current gen games use this, high polygon models are only used in cinematography these days.
    Or when people get into 3D rendering stills..

Anyway for gaming applications there is no reason for a high polygon model.
    20K is more then generous, but I've seen some 360 games push a character at 60k
    Mario man i see your back and active on these forums :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2011
    404 Posts
    Thanks.