1. Post #1

Wesley said the pupils were asked to imagine they had a terminal illness and only a few hours to live

A Staffordshire school has apologised after a 14-year-old boy was asked to write a letter that his mother thought was a suicide note.

Wesley Walker, 14, of Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, wrote the letter, which makes reference to his funeral, as part of a creative writing exercise.

His mother Vicki said: "I felt I was going to find him hanging from his bed, I found it sick."

The Discovery Academy has apologised for causing any "distress".

Headteacher Rob Ridout said: "It was never the intention of the exercise to cause distress, in fact it was the total opposite of that. We apologise for what happened."

'Please be strong'
    Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

It's unfortunate that the context of this exercise wasn't explained to Wesley's parents”

Rob Ridout
    Headteacher
    Wesley said pupils were told to write a letter as if they had a terminal illness and only had a few hours to live.

In it, he wrote: "I want you to remember the fun times and the happy times, at my funeral make everyone were [sic] bright colours to remember my personality.

"I know I have been a pain at the best of times but I'm with Nan and Grandad now so I love you and goodbye."

He ends the letter by saying "please be strong for me" and signs off with six kisses and a heart.

Wesley said: "It felt normal because it was a lesson where we do creative writing."

Mrs Walker said: "He handed it to me one evening and then just went upstairs to bed.

"I really felt like I was going to find him hanging from his bed and maybe he felt he couldn't take any more.

Wesley (right) and the rest of his family at Christmas last year
    "I spoke to him and he said it was something they were asked to do at school, I felt it to be really sick.

"I just don't think schools should be asking children to write things like this especially when it can be seen as a suicide note, I don't agree with it."

'Express their feelings'
    Mr Ridout said the exercise was part of an "expressive art" lesson.

He confirmed Wesley showed the letter to a teacher and that pupils were told to take them home.

He said: "The exercise was to enable young people to express emotions and share things with loved ones that they never normally say.

"They were asked to imagine what they would say if they had a short time left and many pupils and their families found it an encouraging and positive experience.

"It's unfortunate that the context of this exercise wasn't explained to Wesley's parents, and we'll look at the way exercises like this are communicated to our students in the future."

Mike Hymans, from the Division of Educational Child Psychologists, said the social and emotional literacy curriculum included a range of activities similar to the letter-writing exercise.

He said: "It's important that children and young people have an opportunity to share and express their feelings.

"The issue here is perhaps that the parents were unaware of the activity so perhaps it's about direct communication and making sure that emotional literacy is discussed with parents."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-18530200
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Friendly Friendly x 67Funny Funny x 16Winner Winner x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    958 Posts
    That's just wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 40Disagree Disagree x 14Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,551 Posts
    To be honest I'm not sure what to think of the school here.

I mean this kid's mom's got a point but I'm not sure what I think of the school for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    He was told to write a note as if he was on his final stretch, and he decided that a suicide note would be appropriate. The kid seems to be responsible for this mistake, not the school.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 24Dumb Dumb x 14Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Wait, they made the kids do a letter that was from the perspective of a terminally ill patient?

Man what the fuck ever happened to reading The Great Gatsby and shit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Funny Funny x 25Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    1,417 Posts
    He was told to write a note as if he was on his final stretch, and he decided that a suicide note would be appropriate. The kid seems to be responsible for this mistake, not the school.
    It's not even a suicide note, just him saying goodbye.

Of course the context makes or breaks that point; if you found it on the table you would definitely think the kid was going to kill himself.

How is this even relevant to the curriculum?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,698 Posts
    I'm getting the vibe that not a lot of thought was put into the ramifications of an assignment like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    I agree with this:

The issue here is perhaps that the parents were unaware of the activity so perhaps it's about direct communication and making sure that emotional literacy is discussed with parents.
    I feel the school should be involved one way or another in that 'direct communication'. And I think the 'social and emotional literacy curriculum' and this assignment are quite good. I / we never had this in school.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

9. Post #9
    December 2009
    4,384 Posts
    Mrs Walker said: "He handed it to me one evening and then just went upstairs to bed."
    Ha ha ha, oh wow.
    I know this is mostly the school's fault, but this line is making me think that he should have at least explained what it was.

He just casually handed his mom this note, then went upstairs, probably thinking "oh man, I did such a good job on that assignment, I hope mum'll stick that up on the fridge". Did he not realize what that must have seemed like to her?

It's still mostly the school's fault, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 35Agree Agree x 14 (list)

10. Post #10

March 2010
    818 Posts
    His spelling and grammar is atrocious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,352 Posts
    I actually think it's kinda sweet, it shows the kid what really matters in life. He cam across as really caring which should make the parents proud.

It's still the school's fault, they should have attached a little note to each letter explaining what it is and why they've done it.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,609 Posts
    I don't think anybody is really wrong here, I can totally understand the mother freaking out over finding that and I also know that in creative writing classes you have to write all kinds of different things.

Maybe they should have had the kids write a title for it like "Creative Writing assignment:If I had four hours left to live" and their name and date at the top, that way it'd look a lot more like classwork than a suicide note (plus it'd be easier for the teachers to keep track of when they're handed in).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

13. Post #13
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,468 Posts
    I think it's just a mistake, though the school should of collected them in or something. Sounds like quite a fun creative writing exercise actually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Miscommunication between the school/student/parents.

I don't think that the exercise itself was bad, but parents should have probably been informed what it was about. I mean, they could have at least asked them to write it on a worksheet which clearly explained the task.

15. Post #15
    You're Gonna Carry That Weight.
    June 2008
    7,184 Posts
    Mum's fault.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,083 Posts
    I don't think anybody is really wrong here, I can totally understand the mother freaking out over finding that and I also know that in creative writing classes you have to write all kinds of different things.

Maybe they should have had the kids write a title for it like "Creative Writing assignment:If I had four hours left to live" and their name and date at the top, that way it'd look a lot more like classwork than a suicide note (plus it'd be easier for the teachers to keep track of when they're handed in).
    There are a lot of useful things they could have gotten them to write, a suicide note isn't really a good idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    November 2011
    2,660 Posts
    I'd hang my kid myself if I found his writing to be such a poor standard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9Zing Zing x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    January 2010
    2,269 Posts
    I'm not sure, but at least in my school/class this wouldn't have been taken seriously in any way. Most of my classmates (including me) would have written "Still Alive".

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,641 Posts
    While the school mishandled this, I do think the exercise it useful. Most people, especially children, can't envision their lives being different, not to mention envision being dead. This shows them a new perspective and I think it'll open their minds towards different experiences.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,865 Posts
    Miscommunication between the school/student/parents.
    Hahaha I decided to check out the school's website and I think you may be right

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    737 Posts
    The school was planning to kill him and plant the note. It's the only logical explanation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,765 Posts
    I don't really blame the school for this, it sounds like an interesting exercise in creative writing and empathy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Sr.
    June 2012
    570 Posts
    That whole death note was just his will.

What kind of exercise is this.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,777 Posts
    why do all suicide notes have horifically poor handwriting?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    why do all suicide notes have horifically poor handwriting?
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...3mLZoYMAdMh6jP

not this guy

Edited:

also as it stands this was a poorly thought out assignment but if they made good and sure to send out like 50 emails and phone calls months in advance of this assignment telling parents exactly what it is then it would be a great way to help develop empathy in tweens, I don't see what's bad about that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    9,125 Posts

How is this even relevant to the curriculum?
    Whereas, i agree, it's not relevant to any curriculum, i legitimately think its a good learning experience, not in the "hurr study for this test" but in progressing a childs thinking, its forcing them to think in situations, that one might not otherwise think otherwise, it's pretty good foundation for realising sometimes, life will throw a curve ball at you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    I see nothing wrong with this, I had to do something similar in my creative writing class (although mine was an Epitaph).