1. Post #1
    Have you ever watched a movie where a group of unbelievably attractive looking hackers broke into some government organization by constantly typing on their keyboard like they were typing an essay? Yet according to the display they were opening and closing executable files.

Sadly when alleged cyber-attacks occured during the South Ossetia War there were probably no fancy CGI effects showing neon blue wires interacting with each other while Scarlet Johansson with a poor Slavic accent convinces a Putin-looking Sean Penn to move all the nuclear data to a back-up server – constantly typing all the while.

No, the reality is probably just a bunch of sweaty Russians crowded around a blinking DOS prompt. That is, until now, as Japan’s National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT) have developed a new cyber-attack alert system called Daedalus. And let me tell you, cyber warfare has never been sexier!

NICT had previously set up a similar system called nicter which gives a 3D real-time display of cyber-attacks overlaid onto a 3D model of the Earth which looked pretty cool, but still not quite tinsel town caliber. Going back to the drawing board, they established a darknet observation network, but more importantly did away with the Earth model for a sleek 3D orb representation of the entire internet!

Looking at Daedalus’ screen, the internet is the spherical mesh of blue wires in the middle. The networks that you’re monitoring appear as cool floating discs around the internet connected by blue tentacle-like beams.

If that’s not cool enough, you’ll probably be begging for a security threat as it pops up on the floating blue discs as a Chinese character for warning (警). Western versions of the software will probably have English messages, but I as well as other Ghost in the Shell fans would advise against it for stylistic purposes.

And while we embark on this new realm of international conflict, Michael Bay breathes a sigh of relief as his movies just got a little more realistic.
    http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/06/2...in-the-movies/
    http://www.diginfo.tv/v/12-0116-r-en.php

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny x 55Winner x 18Artistic x 13Informative x 2Zing x 1Late x 1Useful x 1Disagree x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    May 2010
    11,046 Posts
    Now the only question is, which jokes come first? The Deus Ex ones, or the Ghost in the Shell ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 43Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    I never asked for this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 55Dumb Dumb x 3Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Now we just have to turn this in to a hologram.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

5. Post #5
    May 2007
    1,984 Posts
    Use this with Leap Motion. Minority Report?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    Stop feeding natural oil to the tachikomas!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Winner Winner x 24Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,028 Posts
    That looks really cool.

But man, I never knew the internet was a sphere

8. Post #8
    [b]MASSIVE HOMOPHOBE[/b]

April 2010
    3,562 Posts
    a new cyber-attack alert system called Daedalus.
    I need you to escape. I can cut power to the doors for only a few seconds without being detected. Get ready.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9Winner Winner x 4 (list)

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,439 Posts
    To be honest that looks like a massive waste of time. I don't see how that helps at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 22Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,118 Posts
    Now the only question is, which jokes come first? The Deus Ex ones, or the Ghost in the Shell ones.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,808 Posts
    That looks really cool.

They should turn it into a planet and make the lines connect to the representing geoip location of the packet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    LOL
    Dennab
    August 2009
    2,070 Posts
    To be honest that looks like a massive waste of time. I don't see how that helps at all.
    Why does it matter how it helps? It's cool and people can spend their time doing what they want

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,399 Posts
    Well we could also make some Japan jokes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,633 Posts
    if far easier looking at this then a DOS window, or just text, it also keeps your attention since it looks cool, and instead of a text based system where you'd have to scroll though massive amounts a data maybe to find what you want, you can just go oh look, a red circle, CLICKY, and there's your info, in the end its more efficient since it displays less data at one time, allowing the user to concentrate on only the important data, meaning they can actually go though more info then with a text based system
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,239 Posts
    I've seen this design before, like ghost in the shell: stand alone complex or something.

The problem is with abstracting attacks snooping into a 3d prespective is the possibility of not noticing an event which it first occurs because of the orientation in the eviroment. The whole point is to abstract the complexity like an OS to better view the behavor of a system, but with abstraction comes things that are hidden so the major problem I see is constructing a virus or worm that behaves in way for the program to not see it.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,415 Posts
    artistic as fuck.

Edited:

That looks really cool.

I was under the impression it was actually a series of tubes? If that is the case, they should have used that one Windows screensaver, the pipes one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,099 Posts
    You ever get the feeling that Deus Ex has somehow been able to predict the future?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,728 Posts
    Neat.

I wonder just how practical that 3D interface is, though.

Edited:

God dammit, this fucking huge title is starting to piss me off, and the dickhole who bought it refuses to revert it haha.

I don't want to throw money at a damn Internet forum just to get rid of this title, but I'm honestly considering it. I can't go around posting like this, where each post takes up a fucking half page.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11Funny Funny x 5 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,099 Posts
    That title what the fuck

Edited:

Doesn't that qualify as page stretching?

22. Post #22
    August 2005
    6,728 Posts
    It wasn't my choice.

Trust me, if I could get rid of it for free, I would.

Some dickhole bought it for me, and refuses to change it back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,182 Posts
    It wasn't my choice.

Trust me, if I could get rid of it for free, I would.

Some dickhole bought it for me, and refuses to change it back.
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/132534
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,718 Posts
    It'd be very mildly helpful, it mostly just looks cool though.

25. Post #25
    August 2005
    6,728 Posts
    I'd rather remove it completely. For people who don't have that script, it'd still be big as fuck.

I really don't want to throw two dollars at this, but I might have to, at this rate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member

June 2006
    1,098 Posts
    why would you hide your love for pony marshmallow buttholes?

hopefully this new attack detector detects people being jerks with titles, jeez!

27. Post #27
    July 2010
    1,745 Posts
    I will post this, now, because nobody else saw this movie.

28. Post #28
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    This looks really cool but is completely and utterly pointless and redundant. We already have shit that does this but a million times better.

29. Post #29
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    Oh look, MovieOS.
    Useful for simply displaying a WAN's status on a random monitor but otherwise totally useless.

Edited: Actually, now that I think about that if you do admin a large corporate network and you need something to quickly glance at to see authorized and unauthorized connections, that's actually rather useful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,415 Posts
    I'd rather remove it completely. For people who don't have that script, it'd still be big as fuck.

I really don't want to throw two dollars at this, but I might have to, at this rate.
    What would you prefer?

31. Post #31
    October 2009
    1,847 Posts
    Instead of those Chinese characters, can we just have...

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    800 Posts
    This thing looks cool really, and better yet, I can easily understand it. Now, about how to prevent such attacks...if only that was this cool too.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Once DARPA decides to share their active holographic display technology, this will make IT so cool.

Edited:

http://www.zebraimaging.com/products/motion-displays